• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh woe is me!

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
I should be flying out Sunday to start tn the El Salvador. I was so looking forward to enjoying those fabulous views again (Which I personally find are the nicest I have enjoyed on my Caminos.) But not to be I think. I have had a vertigo attack since Friday. Although it is better than it was, especially Saturday and Sunday, I still have some slight wobbly feeling at times. I think it would be irresponsible of me to walk alone in those isolated mountains. So with a heavy heart I will have to forego the pleasure, the people I would meet, and the chance to recharge my soul. Booh Hoo!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry to hear this Al. Hope it all sorts itself out and you get back on your feet sometime soon. Any alpine scenery in the Black Country to warm up in?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I should be flying out Sunday to start tn the El Salvador. I was so looking forward to enjoying those fabulous views again (Which I personally find are the nicest I have enjoyed on my Caminos.) But not to be I think. I have had a vertigo attack since Friday. Although it is better than it was, especially Saturday and Sunday, I still have some slight wobbly feeling at times. I think it would be irresponsible of me to walk alone in those isolated mountains. So with a heavy heart I will have to forego the pleasure, the people I would meet, and the chance to recharge my soul. Booh Hoo!

I am very sorry to hear about your illness.
I am not a doctor but have some personal experience with vertigo.
Have you tried the epley manoever? It works amazingly well for some. For others it still takes a few hours to fully recover from a bad attack.

Scroll down to the hopkins treatment or look up on the internet.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neu...ons/benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo.html

This gives a better explanation and more is effective:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola amigo Al. Lamento mucho leer de tus dolencias.
Espero que mejores rápido y puedas regresar pronto al Camino.
Ya sabes que tienes un amigo y una casa a tu disposición en Zizur.

How disappointing Al. Hope you soon recover. Will you be able to go later?
Best wishes.

Oh NO Al....life is sometimes so bloody unfair when she throws us Curve Balls such as this one.....Camino Hugs and thoughts

Very disappointing for you to be sure Al, but your health does come first. Let's hope for healthier days ahead so you can get back out there. Do take care.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That doesn't sound like the Al we know! Tough call. Hope you can change your booking - or find someone to accompany you.

Sorry to hear that Al. I hope you get better fast and can plan for the next adventure.

sorry for your disappointment
may this merely be a pause in your plans and dreams

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this. I had an episode of vertigo a few months before my Camino. Fortunately, it resolved itself and didn't disrupt my plans.

I've added a wiki link to a better explanation and good post manoeuvre care. It doesn't have the "John Hopkins" name but it is a bit more detailed and effective. It is a horrible condition. Thankfully it has only happened to me twice in two years. Very best wishes to you.

I am sorry about your virtigo, I have that too, after dealing with it for 4 months I cam across a vitamin that was recommended to me by my E & T called, Lipo flavanoid Plus, you can get at Walgreens or a pharmacist can order them for you. They are a vitamin and when I get virtigo, I take 3-4 and lot of water and a decongestant. I took the Lipo flavanoid for a week or so and it went away. Now and then it comes but, it usually happens in the Spring or if I eat salt like chips etc. I hope this helps you and mostly maybe you can just delay your trip.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had to put off your plans for the camino once again. I hope you have a complete and permanent recovery soon!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

God speed Al
Hopefully you can make the trip sooner rather then later

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks all. Besos para todos.
I a think I am recovered. I was without symptoms all day yesterday.
The problem I have now is that it has made me behind with my university assignments, one of which has to be handed in in 13 days. As my flight is Sunday morning and I don't get back until 2 days before the deadline I think this will now be my obstacle even if I do go and try to find a companion.

Dear Al the Optimist,
I am sorry you are have a bout of vertigo! It certainly turns things upside down! My mother has suffered several bouts- meds didn't help, but found the one PT who knew how to rebalance her! The information on John Hopkins site is exactly what you do. Gravity aids as you are hanging over edge of bed. Go to Utube they show the steps described. Have a great trip when you go!

Glad you seem to have recovered Al, and hope that you still get to return to the Salvador soon, or if not the Salvador another path you can enjoy. In the past you seemed to have taken off on the spur of the moment, maybe serendipity will happen and you will be able to do the same again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks all. Not deciding until the last minute has filled me with a heightened sense of anticipation. Well I get to pack today! Yippee! Unfortunately I also need to do those things I needed to do before going that I had not done the last week as I thought I could do them next week. :(Oh well. Small chores will be done with a light heart and a big big smile! :):):):):):):):):) (I will be there 9 days as I am going to visit friends in Gijon after walking).

That is fantastic news Al.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.