• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ok, here comes the vegetarian question...

Michelle_McA

Paso corto, vista larga
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has noticed any vegetarian gites along the Le Puy > St. Jean chemin? I know of a few along the Camino Frances, but wanted to jot down some noteworthy finds to walk toward if they indeed exist. Anyone?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Gite Sentinelle run by former pilgrim Brigitte (05-65-43-49-52) in Saint-Roch just a couple of km past Decazeville serve vegetarian meals - mainly home-produced.
Caitlín

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has noticed any vegetarian gites along the Le Puy > St. Jean chemin? I know of a few along the Camino Frances, but wanted to jot down some noteworthy finds to walk toward if they indeed exist. Anyone?

Hi Michelle. My wife and I walked the Le Puy route and also the Arles route in France and she is a vegetarian. We didn't find it a problem at all to get vegetarian meals in the gites. Since most gites want you to call ahead all we did was let them know that we would like a vegetarian meal. Just be specific as to fish, eggs, etc. You won't have a problem at all. Bon Chemin. Dayton

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I echo Daytonhypes' experience. You have three major choices for arranging meals on the Le Puy route: restaurants, demi-pension, or self-catering. Self-catering is relatively limited, as most gites do not have kitchen privileges. Camping grounds might though. For demi-pension at your overnight gite, you'll be phoning ahead a day or two for reservations, and you'll advise your host of your requirements at that time. This is by far the easiest way to get a vegetarian meal every night. Throughout my walking the Le Puy route in 2010-2011, there were usually at least one, and often several, vegetarian plates served to the table. Occasionally, the main course for everyone is vegetarian. The French are famous throughout Europe for their carnivorous preferences, so do not assume the standard menu will be vegetarian.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One of the sentences I have heard far too often on the Le Puy chemin is a variation of "I never call ahead but show up where ever I may be and never had a problem". Usually true, very spontaneous, not many pilgrims on the Le Puy route usually plenty of room however, if you expect the gite to provide your dinner common courtesy should guide one to call ahead reserve your bed since some one rthere must go out and buy the essentials before you arrive, more so if you request a vegetarian diet. Every gite I visited was more than happy to do this for you, part of staying there.
Petit déjeuner? Breakfast is a sore spot for many, I never eat that time of the day do need some coffee though-never a problem in France. The French seem to think that yesterdays dried baguette, chain store jam, and an apple make a perfect breakfast. Another convincing reason for me to pass. You have been warned!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.