• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ok, how many self respecting Peregrinos

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Almost every chance we've had.

The first was in the town of Santo Domingo---Parador Santo Domingo. built by Santo Domingo himself for the pilgrims. We toasted the carved roosters with a Torres brandy. We skipped the Parador in Leon and camped to save money. Next was the oldest hotel in the world, the Parador in Santiago, built by Queen Isabella for the Pilgrims. Just like the pelerin in the movie St Jacques, Le Mecque we had a grand finish.

They are an integral part of the history and culture, and if there is any way to stay there, you should.

Attachments

• parador.JPG
    parador.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 3,635
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
newfydog said:

The first was in the town of Santo Domingo---Parador Santo Domingo. built by Santo Domingo himself for the pilgrims. We toasted the carved roosters with a Torres brandy. We skipped the Parador in Leon and camped to save money. Next was the oldest hotel in the world, the Parador in Santiago, built by Queen Isabella for the Pilgrims. Just like the pelerin in the movie St Jacques, Le Mecque we had a grand finish.

They are an integral part of the history and culture, and if there is any way to stay there, you should.
Hello - May I ask, how much should one add to their budget to stay in one of these grand hotels?

I think just over 100 Eur can get you a long way for a double room. If you book online you may get lucky and go under the 100...

At Leon I paid 100euro a year ago for a double (well, single, but it had a double bed!) which included breakfast. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, such history!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It that price, I think we will have to pass on it. We are only on pensions, so camping in the grounds would be the closest we got! Still, it does sound like a brilliant idea and I can understand why people would want to spent at least one night in a Parador :D

There is no ay that I would NOT do this, if I could afford to.

Not least, to free up a bed elsewhere for another pilgrim...

On each camino , Frances, Portuguese, and Norte we stayed in Parador Hotels.
Vilalba on the Norte was the most enjoyable as we were buggered / wet and the stay was not planned.
Santiago in 07 because we thought we would not return .
Portuguese because Pontevedra is a very beautiful city.
* Avoided Segovia on Madrid camino as it was too far from town and too early in the walk .

Pieces, you would be surprised at some of the prices offered when you walk in off the street.
We do it hard but for Gods sake enjoy these nights if you can .
Just a few bananas , nuts and fruit the next day to compensate and a longer stage.

Life is much too short and we can't take it with us.
Thrifty till 50 and spend till the end , with the kids approval.

If I had the money I definitely would have done! In Santo Domingo we walked into the Parador bar, smellegrino fleece and dusty boots and all, and asked if we could have a quick peek at the inside of the hotel if we bought a drink there. We were told we were very welcome to do so - in fact, the lady behind the bar asked us to take a seat in the incredible large room and brought us the drinks and complimentary snacks as if we were royalty. A couple who stayed there on a parador-to-parador driving holiday saw that we were walking pilgrims and asked if they could sit with us. They asked lots of questions and thought this was so exciting they offered to pay for the drinks and took us for a guided tour around the hotel, they even let us see their rooms. It was a good night in great company, the hotel was fantastic, and I am glad I got to see it even though we never stayed there. Maybe next time I will - I'm in no rush to return to that particular muni.

This is the official site..be aware that there are a lot of "booking services" that appear to be official but are not.

http://www.paradoresofspain.com/

Check out some of the places on the Camino and see the prices for your approximate days. Note that there is a 30% discount right now for 55 and older.

You could always make reservation a couple of days ahead while on the Camino. There is no need to reserve before you leave. Very hard to get the dates right.

Grayland beat me to it as to discounts for "jubilados", that is over 55's (sometimes over 60's for reasons I've never fully comprehended). Many will also offer discounts on production of a Credencial. In Leon last year they kindly compounded the discounts taking my room down to not much over 60euro. A few years ago the Parador at Santallina del Mar gave me and the beloved a suite for the price of a room. Having been backpacking in the Picos an hour or two in the jacuzzi with a bottle of Cava made the, very reasonable, price well worth it.

I recognise that many will not have even my limited means but, if you can afford it then a stay in one of the great historic pilgrim Hostales has to be worth it. Leon is beautiful and the cloisters an oasis of peace, as they should be.

Hi.

I stay whenever I can. The Paradors are in historic buildings full of character, and often relate to pilgrims/pilgrimages.

I've never seen Grayland's site before, and maybe it's fine, but as a journalist who has written extensively about the Camino, I can tell you my contact in the Spanish Office of Tourism always stresses that when I'm writing an article that mentions the Paradors, I should use this website: http://www.parador.es, which she says is the official, governmental site. As Grayland says, there are many unofficial ones that may not have the proper information.

Melanie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in the Parador San Marcos in Leon on June 4th this year, it had always been my intention to treat myself to one Parador night on this camino and after 48.2 km the previous day, Leon fell just right for me. €90 for single occupancy of a twin room, balcony,with great view. After I took off my boots and emptied my pockets, I ran a bath and got in fully clothed. :)
I must confess to making near gluttonous use of the breakfast buffet the following morning.

Seamus

Santo Domingo Bernardo Fresneda is located in the former Convent of San Francisco 800 metres away from the centre of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. This used to be a training base for employees of the Parador chain which some may wonder about as they do not have a great reputation for service no matter how good the hotels.

I have to admit to being a Parador junkie and was worried when I heard that due to the economic situation in Spain the government was talking about breaking it up or selling it off.
"The government, which is struggling with a broad economic crisis, announced recently that it wanted to close 7 Paradors completely and more than 25 for at least four months a year. In the face of union resistance and popular dismay, however, it quickly backed down on much, though not all, of this plan."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, my daughter and I stayed in the parador in Santo Domingo. I barely made it in to town as I had developed severe plantar fasciitis but didn't know it yet. This was my last day of walking so in hindsight it was a good way to end my camino.

We already had plans that we were going to stay in at least one parador along the way and a variety of other accomodations. I have also heard that plans are in the works to shut down paradors and felt it was my duty to support them. :mrgreen:

We got a room with a balcony facing the plaza so I could watch the festivities that were happening that day but I never did get to walk around the parador or the town. The cost was only 111 euros for two people including breakfast that we had delivered in the morning for no extra cost - again due to my foot.

I never have, but would love to stay at one.
May be one day when I've finished again, in Santiago! :)
Hope so.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
newfydog said:

I have just completed my Camino - last Monday - and would have dearly loved to have stayed in the Parador at Santiago de Compostella, but, the price quoted for a single room, (at a special price for one single Pilgrim) was 130Euro.....a tad out of my budget at the end of the walk sadly.....Susanawee.

The Paradore de Leon (San Marcos) only charges Euro75 for a single person (in a double room) this year in April 2013. It was definitely an amazing experience to be staying in a Paradore. So much history!

The April bargain is long gone now that it is summer. The special rates are about 155€ for a single.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never got to sleep in one but I did get to sit on the couch in the lobby in Santo Domingo...it was just wonderful to sit on a couch! I had a drink in the bar in Leon, which was also wonderful and I got to pretend I could afford to be there.. I would have had dinner as well but there was a curfew at the convent/monastery. Next time...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back