• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OK Le Puy lovers...did you notice these???

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
We saw these two signs in 2016 when I hiked with five of my six kiddos. We didn't know what they said, and a donkey bit my oldest son here on the property- lol
It was kind of funny as cruel as that sounds (we are a wicked family).

image2.jpegimage5.jpeg

image4.jpegimage3.jpeg

Last fall, 2021 when my 16 year old daughter and I were repeating the same trek we were on the lookout for them, we passed a place that we were pretty certain was the location and no signs ...however later in the hike there they were...much more faded...we loved these signs, and are a home with a few animals :)... I joked I needed them

I ask this for a reason...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are celebrating my birthday today, and I have some artists as kiddos...
This is what I opened, having no guess what they were...
**** I just realized I should clarify my children MADE these, and these are not stolen from the Camino-lol
The lastest image of them on trail and their weathered look five years later hopefully is convincing enough.
They took the images and painted them on ply wood, similar to the two Picasso (ish) paintings on my wall...made by the kids
image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Last edited:
They are signs that are a play on words. A street or road speed bump (these are bumps that are laid perpendicular to the road and are intended to slow down speeding vehicles) is called " un dos d'âne" in French. That translates as a donkey's back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh what wonderful gifts!!

I walked Le Puy in 2017 and loved that sign... IMG_0328.jpg

DOUCEMENT means gently and ANIMAUX are animals.
Passers-by (hikers, cyclists, drivers) should be aware of free-roaming animals in the area and try not to scare or harm them.
That's my reading of the signs, anyway.

What a wonderful gift from your talented children!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is the official French Dos-d âne (speed bump) sign. Doucement means slowly or gently. The donkey and slowly are a great artistic portrayal of a play of words, meaning slow down for speed bumps. The French language is full of play on words of daily expressions. I'm a French Canadian who spent almost 5 years in France. French Canadians speak a form of French (called joual) that is a bit different from Continental French, a bit like the Scottish, Irish, British, Australians, and Southern American drawl is to "standard english", which some argue is Canadian English. One of the great things about walking the Compostelle, is listening to the various French accents, and expressions heard along the way. 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-124351_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-124351_Chrome.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back