• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OK - Which Camino would you Pick if you were me?

Which Camino should I walk next, given the criteria below? Pick up to 3 that you have walked

• VdlP from Sevilla to SDC

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • VdlP to SDC but start in Cadiz

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • VdlP to SDC but start in Almeria

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • VdlP SDC but start in Gibraltar

• Levante from Valencia to SDC

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Levante from Alicante to SDC

• Lana from Alicante to SDC

• Le Puy to SDC

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Arles to SDC

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other, see post below

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK this is not scientific, but hey, polls are fun ;)

Please READ this post before 'voting' so at least we get some semblance of the right 'direction' in the result.

So. I'm thinking about my 4th Camino, and which one I might try.

Of course, like many members here, I could try a different one or two every year until I have walked them all.
But that won't be possible. In reality I maybe have 3 more in me, due to other commitments, health, life expectancy, need to see other parts of the World, who knows......

So which of these do you think would be a good one for my 4th Camino. As a guide, I have a few preferences/criteria:

Dislikes.
Too much road walking. My feet/tendons just can't cope with it. The CF has about as much as I want. I think that is about 30-40% road? Less is better. Much better.
Crowds. The CF is too crowded for my taste now. I find it distracts from the experience. Of course I could walk in Winter! But because of work, family etc, the European spring suits me best. Mar/Apr/May
Other than that. I'm 'up for anything'.

Happy to use whatever accomodation options there are.
Love remote areas.
Like walking on my own.
Daily Distances? I'll cope. But ideally 25 km, with occassional 30+ I need to get lighter/fitter.

Total distance? I'd like it to be 1,000 kms plus. Maybe even up to 1,400 or 1,500. 50-60 days would be a nice duration.

Start point. I don't mind. Though I thought it might be nice to start on the Coast somewhere.

End point. Needs to be Santiago. I like to walk with a clear destination/purpose in mind. Even though it's about the journey.

History. It really needs to be an ancient/traditional route. The history and feeling of walking in the steps of Pilgrims long past is important to me.

So any ideas or recommendations would be most appreciated. I'll put some that I have in mind on the POll, but feel free to suggst others.

I have not included the CP. Too crowded and too much road walking for me I think.

P.S. Please don't suggest one that you have not actually walked yet.
It should be based on personal experience! ;)

Not sure about Le Puy and Arles. All the way to SDC is a long way!
Plus I might do Le Puy with Pat at some stage.
I have not included, other than these two and the Lana, other routes that dump me back on the CF for a large part of it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Definitely the Via de la Plata - staring from Seville and doing the Sanabrés option. It ticks all the boxes, except the "start at the coast" bit. How important is that? It is already over 1000km - for me 7 weeks of walking.

Save the Le Puy to do with Pat. She would love it. Cushier options - baggage transfer, good accommodation, fabulous food. Quite a few people, but nothing like the crowds on the CF. Only downside is that you don't finish in SDC. But you could take a slight detour at the end and finish in Lourdes.

I'd do the Le Puy in preference to Arles or the Tours.

Definitely the Via de la Plata - staring from Seville and doing the Sanabrés option. It ticks all the boxes, except the "start at the coast" bit. How important is that? It is already over 1000km - for me 7 weeks of walking.

Save the Le Puy to do with Pat. She would love it. Cushier options - baggage transfer, good accommodation, fabulous food. Quite a few people, but nothing like the crowds on the CF. Only downside is that you don't finish in SDC. But you could take a slight detour at the end and finish in Lourdes.

I'd do the Le Puy in preference to Arles or the Tours.

Thanks @Kanga. A lady who walks at my speed :)

I think if we did Le Puy, we would jump over to another Camino to finish, if only a short one.
We both like to end in SDC and get the Compostela (for deceased relatives).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I voted for the Via de la Plata, too. However, there's a flaw in the poll - I have only walked that one option, so it was the only one I could vote for. Nevertheless, I endorse it with enthusiasm.

I voted for the Via de la Plata, too. However, there's a flaw in the poll - I have only walked that one option, so it was the only one I could vote for. Nevertheless, I endorse it with enthusiasm.

'Pick up to 3'

At least you picked one you walked
And you believe it suits what I'm looking for.
Thank You ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked Seville - SDC on VDLP in spring 2017. Excellent experience.

Late April/May 2018, we walked the very quiet Camino Mozarabe from Almeria on the coast to Merida (VDLP). It has a mix of trail and quiet roads. Lots of gravel orchard walking. We chose to bus to SDC from Merida, not wanting to repeat our journey from the previous year, but I think it would be an excellent choice if you have the time to walk the entire way. 1300+km

In 2013 I did camino de Madrid, a little 2 days Frances untill Leon, then take a right to the del Salvador, then in Oviedo e left to the Primitivo.
It was a really nice mixture! But a little less then 1000kms.
Buen Camino!

I'd love to do this exact route! But I probably have a few other caminos to do first.

I just returned from the Le Puy route going as far as Auvillar. It is beautiful with varied scenery, but agree with Kanga, it would be nice to walk this one with your wife. I thought it was more difficult than the Primitivo, but worth the difficulty. I've read it gets easier for the remainder heading to SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2013 I did camino de Madrid, a little 2 days Frances untill Leon, then take a right to the del Salvador, then in Oviedo e left to the Primitivo.
It was a really nice mixture! But a little less then 1000kms.
Buen Camino!

You know, that is one I didn’t think of, but it is a great option. Madrid to Sahagún is virtually ALL off-road. The departure from Madrid is very nice, probably the best big city exit I’ve ever walked, except for the exit from Santiago to Finisterre. And you could take a walking detour to Vallodalid, which would add a few kms, and is a nice city. You would be on the Francés only from Sahagún to León, which is just a few days, enough to either whet your appetite again or to confirm your rejection of it! But León to Oviedo is one of the most beautiful 120 kms on any camino, especially from Buiza to Pajares. And the Primitivo would tick all your boxes, I think. Going on to Muxia and Finisterre (and back to Santiago if you wanted — that seems to be all the rage now) would get that total up closer to 1000.

I was surprised that you didn’t mention accommodation preferences, since I know you typically do not stay in albergues. On the Madrid, many of the stages have albergues only, but they are very different from the Francés albergues since there is unlikely to be anyone else in them! I shared an albergue only twice on the Madrid, the rest of the nights I was alone.

I would leave the Almería starting point till after you have a few more caminos under your belt, but don’t forget about it!

I was surprised that you didn’t mention accommodation preferences, since I know you typically do not stay in albergues.

On my own I'm happy to use them :)
If there are no other options :D

The 'Boss' on the other hand, might need convincing .........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I probably don’t qualify to vote, because I’ve only done one Camino, but I LOVED the Camino Portugues and with both the Portugal and Galician coastal routes, it’s now longer, but probably doesn’t meet your 1000km goal. Anyway, it’s so beautiful, fewer crowds.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back