• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old Bus station - still used?

elche

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles 2019
I have just watched a short film (Sept 2021) on You Tube conducted by a very smart gentleman about the new bus station in Santiago.

Is the old bus station still situated at Plaza de Camilo Diaz at the end of Rua de Anxo Casal? The bus from the airport dropped you here and you could catch a bus to Ferrol to start the Ingles. Is this still possible?

Ted Williams

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just watched a short film (Sept 2021) on You Tube conducted by a very smart gentleman about the new bus station in Santiago.

Is the old bus station still situated at Plaza de Camilo Diaz at the end of Rua de Anxo Casal? The bus from the airport dropped you here and you could catch a bus to Ferrol to start the Ingles. Is this still possible?

Ted Williams
The new busstation is at the following adres
Rúa de Clara Campoamor, 15702
near the trainstation.

Ted Williams
And don't forget you can catch the train to Ferrol - more leg room and great views of the coast.

And the new intermodal station is VASTLY superior to the old station!
You can say that again!
I always disliked having to wait at the old bus station for a bus back to Lavacilla airport. It was dirty with seedy looking characters, and the bathrooms were atrocious, sorry to say; quite a scourge in an otherwise lovely city. I was glad to switch to using a taxi the last two times I was in Santiago. Hopefully I will have opportunity to see the new bus station eventually with my own eyes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can say that again!
I always disliked having to wait at the old bus station for a bus back to Lavacilla airport. It was dirty with seedy looking characters, and the bathrooms were atrocious, sorry to say; quite a scourge in an otherwise lovely city. I was glad to switch to using a taxi the last two times I was in Santiago. Hopefully I will have opportunity to see the new bus station eventually with my own eyes.
The new bus station is vastly superior in every way of course, but am I the only one who kinda liked the old one? Familiarity perhaps.

But seedy characters are a feature of bus and train stations everywhere, new and old. I've already encountered pan handlers at the new one!

Pan handler is, I guess, an Americanism. But I also guess it means people without “visible means of support”, skint, as some in the UK would have it. A stranger, and therefore a friend in need, as the Prophet had it.
Bus Stations are the last resort for those going nowhere. Give them that at least; and maybe €10 just to change their day. You cannot change their life or bus stations

@Tincatinker, my use of the word "seedy" only referred to me feeling unsafe a few times by men hovering close to me when there was no need early in the morning and there were few other people in the bus station.
I have given money to wandering down and out folks many times in my life when they have asked for assistance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pan handler is, I guess, an Americanism. But I also guess it means people without “visible means of support”, skint, as some in the UK would have it. A stranger, and therefore a friend in need, as the Prophet had it.
Bus Stations are the last resort for those going nowhere. Give them that at least; and maybe €10 just to change their day. You cannot change their life or bus stations
I think you are right that it is an American expression. It is also just one word. I don't want you to get dinged by your English teacher when you write an essay on this subject in class next week!!!!!

There's a song of many versions "Tom Padget" - Bellowhead's version (for those with access to streaming services) is about as rude as a folk song gets. Spencer the Rover puts another spin on the vagabond life and there are many more but I always thought:

"Of all the trades going it's in the begging I take great delight.
For my rent it is paid as I lay down my bags for the night."

poses the challenge "Do I surrender my €'s or not?"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In this context, I use the expression and equate it, perhaps mildly offensively, with a hustler: one who spins a convincing story to gain sympathy... as opposed to one who seems genuinely down and out and hopes for a hand out/hand up without accosting folk.

Still, the old Estacion de Auobuses, despite being dark with decades of grime, cracked windows and tiles, shady characters, a pedestrian entry from the street which left you playing chicken with the busses on the oily tarmac, flights and flights of stairs, held a certain charm. For me, at least. Perhaps I've said hello and goodbye there too many times...

Last edited:
Ah, now you see, it’s perhaps some confusion between the average liar, braggart and thief and the honest Tinker that just wants you assured that your kindness and generosity will be not only appreciated but reciprocated by deed or by wish and that any volume of good single malt that might find its way from yourself to me will be drunk to your very good health and fortune 😉

Which is a kind of sideways way of saying that I miss the old bus station too. I spent a night there a couple of decades back and the “residents” were kind to a stranger once they’d established that I was a skint as they were and that I had shared all the Orujo I had 😉

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back