• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old-ish solo lady

Rockinrev

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025
Hi everyone. I’ve been saying for years that I want to walk the Camino Frances. I’m currently in a depressive state, so as part of my therapy, am now actively planning to start in early April 2024. I’ve started walking daily - around 5 - 6 km, but I’m building that up slowly. What I would like some help on is a daily budget; I want to stay in the pilgrim albergues mainly; and like the idea of buying a picnic each day for lunch. If I eat breakfast in a cafe, do my own lunch, and eat out in the evenings, how much cash will I need each day, including accommodation? I’m British, so an answer in Euros or £Sterling would be hugely appreciated.
I will be 67 years old when I do the walk - so any advice gratefully received. I’ve got a couple of guide books .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rockinrev,

Welcome to the forum!

To help you plan going forward check out these helpful earlier threads filled with useful links and posts

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/are-you-70-and-still-walking-caminos.59442/
and
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/60-and-over-on-the-camino.12014/

Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem and Buen camino!

PS. I first walked in 2004 at age 65 and finished my 10th complete camino in 2014 when 76. For personal commentary regarding walking these years on the CF see my Camino Gazetteer.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am 67 and walking Camino #5 starting in April. Pretty much always stay in albergues, but this time am walking with someone so we are occasionally getting private rooms as the price is sometimes the same as getting 2 beds in a dorm or close to the same price.

Beds run anywhere from 8-25€, so look at the different albergues to see what attracts you. You have plenty of time to look.
I like to eat, but don't drink. It is helpful to find places that have coffee and a bite to eat for breakfast, but if not, count on about 5€ for breakfast, snacks throughout the day and for either late lunch or dinner, the pilgrim menu or menu del dia for 13-15€. Coffee con leche is reasonable as are cold drinks like Aquarious. Snacks can be croissant, choc. croissant, tortilla, empenadas, or lots of different sandwiches. It is nice if you get an albergue doing a communal meal, Albergue Karma in Sansol, Meeting Point in Hornillos, Rosalia in Castrojeriz, Beilari in SJPDP, Casa Susi in Trabadelo, Parada Vitoria in Villarioja, the only albergue in Pieros, etc. etc.

Rockinrev, welcome to the Forum!! Congrats on having a start date in mind.

Have you watched "the movie," yet? It might inspire you, and this is the place to ask all questions and get tons of answers - often conflicting (haha).

I just finished my 3rd Camino, solo, as an out-of-shape 70+ year old, so don't dig too deeply into the age thing. You are going to find lots and lots of people here who are older than either of us.

You might be pleasantly surprised on how little you need to eat in order to feel good and fit after a while, at least that was my experience. That helps keep the costs down. I stayed in albergues always, except for the days I needed a rest and stayed for 2 days in a "real" hotel.

For me, the hardest part of training for the Camino was not the walking, but walking in silence. No headphones, no other companion, just me and my thoughts. As bipedal mammals, we are pretty much designed to walk, and to walk long distances. But the mental game is the one that takes training, at least it did for me. You will get lots of support here on the Forum.

You are going to have a great experience and I'm so happy for you! Feel free to contact me or post questions at any time, day or night. This is a world-wide web, after all, someone is ALWAYS reading posts.

Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone. I’ve been saying for years that I want to walk the Camino Frances. I’m currently in a depressive state, so as part of my therapy, am now actively planning to start in early April 2024. I’ve started walking daily - around 5 - 6 km, but I’m building that up slowly. What I would like some help on is a daily budget; I want to stay in the pilgrim albergues mainly; and like the idea of buying a picnic each day for lunch. If I eat breakfast in a cafe, do my own lunch, and eat out in the evenings, how much cash will I need each day, including accommodation? I’m British, so an answer in Euros or £Sterling would be hugely appreciated.
I will be 67 years old when I do the walk - so any advice gratefully received. I’ve got a couple of guide books .
I am delighted to see your post. I was ultra young compared to you - I was only 58 when I walked the Frances!
if it might help you, look for the following: Allmycaminos. it is a blog belonging to @mspath of this forum.
Before setting off, I needed to see if there had been other 'older' women on the camino, to bolster my courage and reduce my fears. Since then of course I have learned so much. Each person is a world! There are lessons to be learned, of course, from everyone's experience.
I have no doubt at all that you will get plenty of help and encouragement here on the forum, and look forward to hearing from you whenever you set forth on the journey, the camino, the pilgrimage that will mark you forever! Buen camino!

Welcome Rockinrev !
Good luck with your planning for 2024!
You will be amazed how quick the time will pass while planning your adventure!
Before you know it you will be on the path:)
Have a wonderful walk.
Woody

Hi @Rockinrev,
I have met many people who have found the Camino a treatment for their depression (including my husband). For example, in 2016 we met the owner of a hotel in Molinaseca who had been on the Camino 17 or 18 times (mostly by bike) as a treatment for his chronic depression. Another retired friend of ours is a hospitalero from Spain who walks daily as his duties as a volunteer allow. I think the daily exposure to lots of exercise and sunlight is a helpful resource. I hope that you will also find it helpful for you. We now go to Spain annually (except for during the pandemic) and walk as pilgrims and volunteer as hospitaleros. My husband's "social" life is all about the Camino. He participates on the weekly Zoom meeting here on the forum when time allows, he volunteers for American Pilgrims on the Camino, he participates in regular meetings with other hospitaleros, and we take Spanish class together weekly.

Best wishes for your planning. I think if you want to stay in albergues, allow yourself a budget of about 40-50 Euros per day. Most days you won't spend nearly that much and then other days you can have a splurge of a private room, an extra day to see the sites, a special meal, etc. We also have picnics daily. Usually a small loaf of bread split down the middle with some butter, Spanish ham, and a little cheese. Cut it in several pieces and you can enjoy it as a snack or a meal. Cooking together with other pilgrims is also a joy. You can split your costs. Sometimes it really isn't that much less than a regular meal out, but so much fun!
Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola and welcome

Many times on my walks I have meet senior perigrinos and they seem to be slower but they always arrive in Santiago.
The younger ones are the ones that are prone to injuries due to walking to far, to fast.

I remember a 80 year Birthday that we had for an Australian woman walking with her daughter and son in law.
This was during a winter camino and she was carrying a backback of 60-70 liters..
But they took it slow and arrived after a couple of months.

Everything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hurry up and come to Portugal and join me on March 31st! We have some similarities!

Welcome to the forum @Rockinrev, and congratulations for having a start time in place. I did my first and only camino (the Francés) ten years ago at age 60 - in April and May - and it’s always been in my mind to go again. Your post has given me the incentive to finally make a decision … next year, April and May. It’s in my calendar! (BTW under your avatar there‘s the date April 2025. I assume you actually mean 2024?)

Enjoy your planning and training. I wish you well.

If using albergues mostly a good up to date cost would be a comfortable 50 euro a day but could be less according with what restrictions you impose on yourself as to include extra luxuries each day but whatever way cap your spending amount you will treasure this wonderful experience Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back