• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old maps

Hansel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
Is there a site that sells second hand maps, I will probably buy the set from Stamford's, but probably won't use it again !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Which map set are you looking for? Amazon is usually a pretty good source of second-hand maps and guides. But if you are planning on walking one of the main Spanish Caminos then detailed maps are really not necessary. The outline maps in most guide books and the many signposts and arrows make walking very straightforward.

Which maps of where amigo?
There are several sellers of old maps but old maps tend to be of debatable use for navigation unless you want to know where the dragons were.
Second hand maps of Northern Spain? I would think you'll be lucky. Those of us with collections of the Mapas Militar will be reluctant to part with them?

@Bradypus Beat me to the punch but you really don't need maps for the major Caminos, just follow the pilgrim in front

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the replies, will maybe go out my comfort zone, and not take os style/ scale maps this trip! needed about four sheets for Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago, though going to try packing this weekend to see what weight I'm at and then decide if I can take them.
Cheers Bill

@Hansel, dear Bill if you are walking from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago there is no need at all - ie absolutely no need - to take any maps of any sort. Follow the yellow arrows. Or the other pilgrims, if you are walking any time between April and November. And if by some extraordinary chance you miss an arrow (it is hard to do) then one of the locals will re-direct you in no time at all.

The only time you would need maps is if you are planning to follow an obscure route, or perhaps go "off-piste" and make your own way across country. In which case I would not bother with paper maps but go with a smartphone using a GPS app preloaded with maps for offline use, like maps.me

@Hansel, dear Bill if you are walking from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago there is no need at all - ie absolutely no need - to take any maps of any sort. Follow the yellow arrows. Or the other pilgrims, if you are walking any time between April and November. And if by some extraordinary chance you miss an arrow (it is hard to do) then one of the locals will re-direct you in no time at all.

The only time you would need maps is if you are planning to follow an obscure route, or perhaps go "off-piste" and make your own way across country. In which case I would not bother with paper maps but go with a smartphone using a GPS app preloaded with maps for offline use, like maps.me
Thanks Kanga , I'm a bit old fashioned , I like to see where I am on the maps, my current "smart phone" , is not that smart battery is lucky if it lasts a day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a bit old fashioned , I like to see where I am on the maps

Ah, a man after my own heart – I know exactly what you mean. I feel “lost” if I don’t know exactly where I am on the printed map. I wanted to be a cartographer when I left school, but it was not to be.

You really really, really don’t need detailed ordnance survey maps to walk the camino. Have a look at the forum store here for some guide books or maps:
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/guide-books

On every camino I take some printed maps with me. Just because I love them. I search the internet and find a few maps covering my next camino.

I write notes on them: places to see off-route, interesting churches to see inside, a recommended lunch stop. They get folded up in my pocket, easy to pull out as I’m walking along. I write my journal on the back of them in the evenings.

Others may not understand, Bill, but I do!

Jill

I can't see this in Ivar's store but this little book is really just maps and profiles and light enough to carry: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/2067148052/?tag=casaivar-21 Obviously not OS level of detail but enough to give you a good impression of what's ahead.

The Brierley guide also has maps but they are hand drawn and people who like maps tend not to like the maps in this book :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love Brierley's maps, so maybe Bill will too!
Jill

Me too! But lots of people seem to complain about North not being at the top of the page or the scale being out/inconsistent, etc. etc. I thought his maps were pretty good in the CP guide and helped me find the quieter routes.

Ah, a man after my own heart – I know exactly what you mean. I feel “lost” if I don’t know exactly where I am on the printed map. I wanted to be a cartographer when I left school, but it was not to be.

You really really, really don’t need detailed ordnance survey maps to walk the camino. Have a look at the forum store here for some guide books or maps:
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/guide-books

On every camino I take some printed maps with me. Just because I love them. I search the internet and find a few maps covering my next camino.

I write notes on them: places to see off-route, interesting churches to see inside, a recommended lunch stop. They get folded up in my pocket, easy to pull out as I’m walking along. I write my journal on the back of them in the evenings.

Others may not understand, Bill, but I do!

Jill
Loved your lessons, 40km in one day, impressive, two bottles of vino, ! definitely need some maps now, and a swimming pool, that's what I was hoping to read more about :)
I'm also lucky enough to have an understanding partner,
I'm about to be made redundant, and had been looking at various walks and cycles, she got me to just book my flights, so on the countdown now.
Have never walked so far before, but how hard can it be ?
Bill

As far as the Frances goes, I have found the Brierley maps only guide to be perfect. I know there's some complaints about distances being off, but honestly I never even noticed it, if it is indeed true.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thinking about buying the Camino de Santiago 50 K CNIG 11 map set.
Did order this, Michelin Camino de Santiago zoom map 160, 1/150 000,
How much technology do folk take with them ?
Debating having five weeks with no phone or internet, but probably wouldn't last,
Atlas mountains had no internet ! Loved it, so no problem deciding,
Do folk track their mileage every day ?
Bill

Did order this, Michelin Camino de Santiago zoom map 160, 1/150 000,
Debating having five weeks with no phone or internet, but probably wouldn't last,
Atlas mountains had no internet ! Loved it, so no problem deciding,
Do folk track their mileage every day ?
Bill
I tracked with a Garmin GPS last month on the CI but mainly because I was going off-piste and wanted to see where I'd been. Has the added value that you can load the track onto Google Earth and "fly" along the route you've walked.

Just my smartphone. Rarely needed for navigation on the Caminos except where I deliberately go off-piste in the larger towns. I do not usually carry a guide book or paper maps either so it is handy to have access to websites like Gronze and Eroski for background information, accommodation options and some idea of distances between villages. I do not track my route with gps or note my daily distances - unless I go wildly off-route then that is easy enough to work out using the same websites or tools like the Godesalco planificadors https://godesalco.com/plan/frances Even at home I very rarely use my mobile phone for calls or texts and I can often go for a month or more without receiving or making a phone call or text. My smartphone is mainly used as a camera, web browser, e-book reader and occasional navigation tool. I am not so closely tied to it in my daily life that I feel any need to abandon it while on a camino. I have walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago without ever using a mobile phone or internet. I know that I could do so again if I chose to. But for me the benefits far outweigh any downsides. Very much a personal choice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tracked with a Garmin GPS last month on the CI but mainly because I was going off-piste and wanted to see where I'd been. Has the added value that you can load the track onto Google Earth and "fly" along the route you've walked.
Hi Jeff, was it easy enough to charge your garmin along the way ? I've a Lezyne gps, would need to charge it a good few times.
Bill

I know there are many who say it is not needed, and I agree it is not (on the popular well marked Camino routes) but I could see, if you enjoy using them, where a small GPS unit would be fun to have and route with. I have a basic Garmin one, and it does not weigh very much.

Hi Jeff, was it easy enough to charge your garmin along the way ? I've a Lezyne gps, would need to charge it a good few times.
Bill
Hi Bill,

I use a Garmin eTrex 30. It takes 2 AA batteries and over the 110km (8 days) of the CI I only used two sets so recharging wasn't an issue. I also stayed in hotels/hostales (my tolerance to other peoples' snoring is quite low) so power outlets were plentiful.

regards

Jeff C

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Bill,

I use a Garmin eTrex 30. It takes 2 AA batteries and over the 110km (8 days) of the CI I only used one set (but took spares) so recharging wasn't an issue. I also stayed in hotels/hostales (my tolerance to other peoples' snoring is quite low) so power outlets were plentiful.

regards

Jeff C
Thanks Jeff, my tolerance of snoring is equally low, years ago I swore I would never stay in a youth hostel having had an awful nights sleep, taking ear plugs, so going to give the pilgrim thing a go, will see how far I get before swapping to hotels !
Bill

I bought two old maps (Navarre and Aragon) but wouldn't like to carry them. As west is at the top lots of neck bending as well.
They are by Blaeu about 1640.20180623_135730.jpg20180623_135505.jpg

Last edited:
This set?
51jlWMmjSmL.jpg

I bought them because I couldn't imagine walking anywhere without a map.
But they're now very out of date (even 2010 is out of date when the route changes so much). And I didn't like the scale, landuse labeling or (lack of) contours. They promptly got abandoned to the bottom of my bag. Still, at least they're lightweight....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought two old maps (Navarre and Aragon) but wouldn't like to carry them. As west is at the top lots of neck bending as well.
They are by Blaeu about 1640.View attachment 43825View attachment 43826
I wonder why west is at the top? I know east used to be for a long time (Orient your map - point to to the east - ie Jerusalem) but why west?

Beautiful maps BTW.

This set?
51jlWMmjSmL.jpg

I bought them because I couldn't imagine walking anywhere without a map.
But they're now very out of date (even 2010 is out of date when the route changes so much). And I didn't like the scale, landuse labeling or (lack of) contours. They promptly got abandoned to the bottom of my bag. Still, at least they're lightweight....
That's the ones, I think they're supposed to have been updated, I still like the idea of a map, will get these unless there is something better that I've missed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.