• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

'Old' model Altus on sale and 2014 version available

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Don't know if this is old news, if so just ignore, but I just noticed the khaki green 'old' model Altus is on sale at Peregrinoteca! Link here. There also seems to be a 2014 version available here but my Spanish isn't very good .. does it say ultra light? Doesn't mention the weight though. I have all the Altuses I need, but for those who haven't got one, now's a good time!

Buen dry Camino,
Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't know if this is old news, if so just ignore, but I just noticed the khaki green 'old' model Altus is on sale at Peregrinoteca! Link here. There also seems to be a 2014 version available here but my Spanish isn't very good .. does it say ultra light? Doesn't mention the weight though. I have all the Altuses I need, but for those who haven't got one, now's a good time!

Buen dry Camino,
Linda

Hi Linda,

I'm also looking for an Altus poncho, and considering different types. Peregrinoteca is one of the online stores I've been looking at, and had the same doubts about these two models. There's a shorter poncho by Altus in lime green and orange too, and as I am 5.3 ft tall, I am not sure which would be the best option. So I've just called them (I am spanish) and made a few questions. So I will write down here what they've said about them:

The khaki green old model (two years old and that is on sale) is same model as the new one... just the colour changes. Same length and weight. S-M khaki size is actually 104 cm long (web site measure is wrong) you can adjust length of cuffs, as well as the new model in blue which the equivalent size would be S.
They guy I've been talking to mentioned as well all the controversy that had been on the Internet about the old models and new ones, but that they are exactly the same. The khaki one is on sold as they ordered a pretty large stock.

Hope that helps. Regards,

Susie

I see, so they are still making the traditional Altuses - that's good news! Yesterday I checked out Altus.es and they showed no 'normal' Altuses at all, so I was worried that they were being discontinued. Thank you for clearing that up :)

I have one khaki and one red, one says Poliester and one says Poliamida (can't remember which is which) and both of them are worth my weight in gold in the Galician rain. The 'new' lime and orange ones are lighter and shorter and meant to wear rain pants underneath I think - I can't remember anyone saying they love them. What I love about my L/XL Altus is that they come below my knees so the rain drips off without soaking my trousers completely. The sleeves can get quite damp though, so I am taking the elastic cuffs off. Other than that I really recommend them and I prefer my green one as it doesn't stick out in the countryside.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What I love about my L/XL Altus ........

Nidarosa, from your experience, can you advise me what size you would recommend I order. I am 5’7“ and uk dress size 12/14. Thanks for your help.

Hi, well, I'm 5' 11" or about 180 cms and not exactly built like a straw and I have the L/XL one. It is huge on me. My friend who I walked with from O Cebreiro (hi, Anne!) is ... quite a bit smaller. One head shorter, in fact. I tried to add a photo of us but couldn't. She borrowed mine in Samos and it almost touched the floor so she bought a S/M one at Peregrinoteca in Sarria. I'd say get the smallest one as it would probably still come down well below your knees - check the measurements Susie lists in the post above. The Altuses are big! I walked in Norway with a 50 litre big pack and still had lots of room to move - which is good for the circulation and avoiding getting clammy and damp on the inside of the Altus even though the rain stays outside.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Both ponchos are big enought. XL/L is suitable for men tall (more than 1,80) and corpulent or not corpulent but taller than 1,90. For women the best choice are s/m. My height is 1,78 and I would buy S/M. I think that this http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/poncho-altus-atmospheric-nylon-verde-kaki-2012-p-8241.html has the best relationship quality price
I ordered our Altus ponchos online at the sale price and they have just arrived. It cost me $127 Australian dollars for 2 coats including postage. I am thrilled. I bought 2 L/XL and I am 5'6 and it is just above my ankles, but I like to walk with a long coat in the rain. We are booked to leave Brisbane Australia on the 1st September so it is really time to get serious about packing. Thanks to those who gave me advice about coats and told me about the sale. Sriyantra

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.