• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old Posts

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is sometimes interesting when old threads revive. However some old threads no longer work and posts give a 404 error instead. Maybe we need a way to let these links be deleted from the list.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's wrong with old threads and bumping them up? I think it's an amazing feature (especially since very often, when someone new to the forums asks a question, one of the first replies offers them to search the forum for previous threads on the same subject!).

I found quite a lot of useful information in old threads, and the only annoying thing about them is, in my opinion, that many links to other websites are broken.

I am trying to take advantage of the library of almost 14 years of good answers to many of the same questions... let's see if we get used to it, if not I will turn it off.

It is always a good idea to look at the date of the post/thread you are responding to.... we have years and years worth of question. This separates us from any Camino related facebook group.

Let's see how it goes... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar, STOP PLEASE!

All these 10-year old threads with modern-day replies are doing my head in!

P.S. Whatever happened to that little green guy with the huge grin and big teeth?

I MISS HIM SO MUCH.

Jill

I really like the old related threads, this is a great feature and the date is clearly given so you know it's "historical". @ivar is right, there is a great wealth of knowledge on the site and it's useful to make this more available.

I recently read an old related thread by Peter Robins explain the eye of providence in the cathedral dome, I would never have stumbled on it otherwise and bet I am not the only one wondering about the all seeing eye.

Nothing wrong by posting comments to old threads. I just recommend checking the date of the original post before clicking the "post reply" button, we may not get any feedback from the originators because some of them are no longer active forum members [I have already discussed this on the test of the new forum thread]. To all caminantes, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am trying to take advantage of the library of almost 14 years of good answers to many of the same questions... let's see if we get used to it, if not I will turn it off.

It is always a good idea to look at the date of the post/thread you are responding to.... we have years and years worth of question. This separates us from any Camino related facebook group.

Ivar I am another who has been receiving "likes" to answers/comments often 2 or 3 years old. I appreciate that you have limited time etc. But would it be possible to archive items more than (say) 3 years old. They could still be accessed but only when someone is specifically searching the archives. Cheers for now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Receiving the 'likes' to the old threads/posts is interesting IMO. It shows that the information is still helping some-one.
Where there are badly broken short threads (where no external links work) maybe we should use the report button so that they can be removed. I found one with only 4 posts, two of which referred to a now broken thread. I will look for it again and practise what I am preaching. ;)

oh yes. I blundered right into answering what I thought was a new thread , but was actually from ´06.
#I 2 #amablindass
Yes, I blundered too and now I find I am scrutinizing the dates more. It must have something to do with this new format (which I like the more I use it). On the other hand I do like the "similar threads" shown below the latest post/comment as it does help glean additional information quickly on topics that are posted less often...not so bad in my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have found and posted on the broken thread, then reported my own post to bring it to the attention of Ivar and the Moderators.
This would not be the solution where the occasional post has broken links but in this case it rendered the whole thread of 4 posts obsolete.
Maybe some of the obsolete threads need locking if they no longer work, but they would still be visible.

I actually like the older posts re-appearing under 'Similar threads' as it is helpful to see the other threads.
It just needs checking when the last post was written and not expecting the OP to respond - and lack of response happens with more recent posts too, where the OP is no longer visiting much so posts no answer.

I really like the similar threads at the bottom however I would love if it is possible to stop posting to all threads with no new post in the last three years

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

May i try and take advantage Ivar and request you delete all old "warnings" to me being a naughty boy with some replies ;)

I really like the similar threads at the bottom however I would love if it is possible to stop posting to all threads with no new post in the last three years
-- Miss Debra: Thank you, I like your idea.
-- Ivar: Is it possible to auto-lock all threads with no new post in the last three years?
-- To all caminantes: Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
-- Miss Debra: Thank you, I like your idea.
-- Ivar: Is it possible to auto-lock all threads with no new post in the last three years?
-- To all caminantes: Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
I think I can set this up... it would need some work, so it would be some time next week.
Good idea. Can I suggest a 5 year cut off rather than 3. Just gives a little more time before a thread dies.
(Edit - to clarify as 'locks' not 'deletes'.)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whats happened to a simple walk guided by a book ,
We are not that important considering 250,000 minimum walk just ONE Camino path each year
The last 3 years have had more than 800,000 complete and what are our numbers on the forum ????
Lets say 200 good solid contributors [ i am being generous] .......its not .001% guys ,
I would suggest a 2 year cut off with the same old repeat questions reappearing ........for another 2 years:oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I think/hope what Ivar has in mind is to disable replies, but we'll still be able to read these fascinating pieces of history.
Concur. Auto-lock after the x-year, not auto-delete. Don't break the Rosetta Stone. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
I read it as locking the thread, not deleting it. Sorry if my response implied that it could be deleted after 5 years, that would lose so much of value. So 'lock after 5 years' a good idea. Auto-delete - not good at all.
Hope I have made my suggestion clearer now and post edited.:)

We also have the option to ask the Moderators to lock any thread we have started if we feel it is obsolete and further posts would be confusing. I have done this with the annual 'Camigos in S Devon...' threads; and @SabineP has done so with the 'Where did you walk in....' threads. I simply put a final post (with a link to the new one) that this year's thread has run its course, then report my own post with a request to lock the thread - the result is usually very quick :):)

The old threads are helpful to New pilgrims or those who haven’t yet walked a Camino. I found an old thread which was very helpful. Maybe the original dat can be shown at the beginning of the thread.
Ivan, thank you so much for this very helpful forum!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also like the old threads, and am a little leary about locking them, even after 5 years. There is a wealth of valuable information in many of them, and I think many of them could continue in "real time" to add/update what's gone before.

Sure, some are outdated. But in others, previous posters have gone into great detail on things such as choosing equipment, buying boots and shoes, foot care and so on, that doesn't necessarily need to be repeated for a new member every couple of months (or weeks,lol) but could simply be continued in a single place.

Like others, I found myself a bit confused when some of the old threads started popping up. But it's been fairly easy to catch on. If there were some way to earmark a gap of, say, several years that might be helpful. Or some other alternative.

But I do think the institutional knowledge in the forum is a valuable resource that isn't found onthe Facebook, etc., sites. I hope that never changes.

Sorry for my lack of clarity on my suggestion when I said locking the threads after three years. I simply meant been unable to reply but in no way meant for the old threads to be deleted. I love the ability to see them but at some point I wonder at the practicality of replying to threads that are five or 10 years since the last reply .

Yes, that is a good point. The moderators have the ability to lock threads - but on a one-off basis. And I'm not sure how that affects them appearing in "similar threads".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, that is a good point. The moderators have the ability to lock threads - but on a one-off basis. And I'm not sure how that affects them appearing in "similar threads".
They probably still appear in similar threads which IMO is good. It might be best to leave the threads unless they are really broken. I would hate it if they disappeared as there is so much good and interesting stuff there. Maybe @ivar can do an 'auto-lock' but with a long length of no-participation, otherwise I would suggest that it is best to leave things to run.

Where's Mendiwalker, Renshaw, Mark Lee and Doug Fitz? I haven't seen words of wisdom from them in this new format.
Obviously that's not this thread's topic but I do miss them too. I was away for a few months for the same reasons I guess. Combine the word you can't mention here (otherwise you'll be banned or in best case the post will be erased) and "policy" and you have the answer.
It's not the new format. It's the same "old format" if you know what I mean ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I love seeing the old posts. Please don't remove them. It is interesting to make comparisons between now and then....

...and please, please don't auto lock the old conversations. I love it when somebody writes to me on an ancient thread. For me, these conversations have not ended. They come to mind at the strangest times and places. I often wonder about the people who contributed to the conversations: are they still on the forum, have they died, why did they disappear? their friendliness has enabled me to walk many a distance.

Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And what about @anemone del camino? I miss some of her comments, which were both helpful, yet sometimes feisty.
If you use the search box with the user name you can find old threads/posts. Then see if the caption under the avatar says Guest. If so the person is no longer a member. Some others are still around but maybe not posting at present. So - @anemonedelcamino is a guest, others are still with a live blue link through their user name - and @anemone is a different person I think.
Another good use of older posts...............

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.