Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Old routes in Spain

dick bird

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles

Many caminos use pre-existing routes, many of which were used by pastoralists, for example, the via de la Plata was used as a transhumance route and the via de la Lana existed for that main purpose. Shepherds and environmentalists are working to restore this ancient practice. This article is about that.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Thank you @dick bird for this interesting article.
"When pastoralism disappears, biomass accumulates".
I certainly do not want to go into a political debate about this subject but I like how the article emphasises that shepherds and environmentalists really are allies in this cause.

manoll

Peregrina 2013
Past OR future Camino
Thank you for your post about this fascinating article! Back in June of 1999 I was on my way to the town of Coca in Castile and Leon, and came across a shepherd with his flock. I couldn't resist and stopped to talk to him and take a photo. He was moving north with about 500 sheep and for me it was such a memorable moment that I will never forget. Pastoralism is such a clear path to helping restore and maintain the environment!

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
On the evening of Friday 1st November 2013 my sister and I were in the bar in El Burgo Ranero when we noticed people looking out the windows.

There were hundreds and hundreds of sheep going through town. It was awesome.

We walked with the sheep next morning for several kilometres on our way to Villarente, and finally left them behind us.

Very, VERY memorable.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Past OR future Camino
Camino Del Estrecho, Ruta Fray Leopoldo,
Vía Serrana, Camino Francés
This article was a joy to read! Thanks for posting it. Drove roads form a major part of the 2,500 km Ruta Transandalus in southern Spain. Anyone who walks or cycles them is surely grateful for the protection provided for these beautiful routes through the mountains.

Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles

Many caminos use pre-existing routes, many of which were used by pastoralists, for example, the via de la Plata was used as a transhumance route and the via de la Lana existed for that main purpose. Shepherds and environmentalists are working to restore this ancient practice. This article is about that.
Thank you. My new learning for today. Actually, revision. Well done, Spain. It is painful to know that wool has to burned because it is of no/negligible value. I know that from a friend whose family farms in a valley just outside Pamplona. I need to keep watch over my cynical view of what is called progress in our aging world!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads