• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old routes in Spain

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024

Many caminos use pre-existing routes, many of which were used by pastoralists, for example, the via de la Plata was used as a transhumance route and the via de la Lana existed for that main purpose. Shepherds and environmentalists are working to restore this ancient practice. This article is about that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you @dick bird for this interesting article.
"When pastoralism disappears, biomass accumulates".
I certainly do not want to go into a political debate about this subject but I like how the article emphasises that shepherds and environmentalists really are allies in this cause.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your post about this fascinating article! Back in June of 1999 I was on my way to the town of Coca in Castile and Leon, and came across a shepherd with his flock. I couldn't resist and stopped to talk to him and take a photo. He was moving north with about 500 sheep and for me it was such a memorable moment that I will never forget. Pastoralism is such a clear path to helping restore and maintain the environment!

On the evening of Friday 1st November 2013 my sister and I were in the bar in El Burgo Ranero when we noticed people looking out the windows.

There were hundreds and hundreds of sheep going through town. It was awesome.

We walked with the sheep next morning for several kilometres on our way to Villarente, and finally left them behind us.

Very, VERY memorable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Many caminos use pre-existing routes, many of which were used by pastoralists, for example, the via de la Plata was used as a transhumance route and the via de la Lana existed for that main purpose. Shepherds and environmentalists are working to restore this ancient practice. This article is about that.
Thank you. My new learning for today. Actually, revision. Well done, Spain. It is painful to know that wool has to burned because it is of no/negligible value. I know that from a friend whose family farms in a valley just outside Pamplona. I need to keep watch over my cynical view of what is called progress in our aging world!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.