• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old shoes / new shoes

Dieter

Time of past OR future Camino
planning first
Dear experienced Camino friends,
Im planning my first camino staring in a few days for 30 days.., and im considering buying new trekking shoes, although
the ones i have are about 3 years old and the soles are a quite worn out.BUT are walked in ! should i stick with my old ones or get some new ones with a fresh sole ... but the risk of blistering is probably x 10 with new ones , Any advice appreciated!!

Best Dieter

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
30 days will give you PLENTY of time to walk in new shoes. The easiest would be to buy the same model again, if available, that you know fits your feet well. The blister risk will NOT be 10x if the shoes will fit well out of the box and are the right, slightly larger to what you wear as 'normal street shoes', size.

Buen Camino, SY

30 days will give you PLENTY of time to walk in new shoes. The easiest would be to buy the same model again, if available, that you know fits your feet well. The blister risk will NOT be 10x if the shoes will fit well out of the box and are the right, slightly larger to what you wear as 'normal street shoes', size.

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for the advice SY Muchos gracias!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ditto. Get new. I started in a pair of well loved trail runners and walked them into the ground about half way through the CF. I was lucky enough to be able to buy replacements in Leon and have to say there wasn't much left of those by the time I got home. They are now my garden shoes but they make me smile every time I put them on.

If you have the time, have new soles put under your old shoes (if that is possible with the type of shoe that you have).

Ditto. Get new. I started in a pair of well loved trail runners and walked them into the ground about half way through the CF. I was lucky enough to be able to buy replacements in Leon and have to say there wasn't much left of those by the time I got home. They are now my garden shoes but they make me smile every time I put them on.
Thanks Heda , i spotted some nice new ones today! cant wait to get going.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buy before you go...although there are plenty of gear shops along the Frances, there is no guarantee that the shoe that fits you perfectly will be in one of them.
I took old boots on my last Camino in 2015, and by Sahagun I had blisters that...let's just say that they were spectacular! I had to buy new boots: continuing in the old ones was simply not an option. There was only one pair in Leon that worked, and I bought them and wore them.
Much later (last month in fact), I spotted a teeny tiny flaw... can you see it?
Buy before you go.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.JPG
    IMG_4924.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Buy before you go...although there are plenty of gear shops along the Frances, there is no guarantee that the shoe that fits you perfectly will be in one of them.
I took old boots on my last Camino in 2015, and by Sahagun I had blisters that...let's just say that they were spectacular! I had to buy new boots: continuing in the old ones was simply not an option. There was only one pair in Leon that worked, and I bought them and wore them.
Much later (last month in fact), I spotted a teeny tiny flaw... can you see it?
Buy before you go.
Hahaaaa, you definately speak from experience, so thank you so much,DebR. i acctually spotted my trekking shoes today so i cant wait to get into them.they are pretty soft so 'apparently' no blisters should be expected, i have to laugh at the the sales people who have never walked the camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.