• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oldest churches on the Portuguese Way

Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
I've been looking online for information on the churches and monuments along the Portuguese Way but can't find much. Does anyone have anyone information, apart from Brierley's guide on old churches or monuments on this stretch of the Camino?

Clark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been looking online for information on the churches and monuments along the Portuguese Way but can't find much. Does anyone have anyone information, apart from Brierley's guide on old churches or monuments on this stretch of the Camino?

Clark
Where are u starting? Lisbon? Porto?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
churches are plenty - finding them OPEN is another question.

Sao Pedro de Rates (before Barcelos) -
also liked the church of the monastery/alberghe of the Saint/Queen Isabel - near Coimbra.
As i recall - the only church without a cross, but with the statue of the saint instead. believe she's buried there as well. - one can also take a tour of the church/monastery. which i did and quite enjoyed.

would also suggest when you are in Lisboa and/or Porto - go to the catedrale Se' (meaning: it's the bishops seat)
and ask someone there at the bookshop/info about churches / guides.... if you like to find out about 'old' churches. (haven't seen that many new ones 'round anyway)

bom caminho!

You might consider asking @peregrina2000. She will know.:)

And Edit...(Warning, Laurie, you may not want to open this!;)) I just found this very good map:
http://www.rotadoromanico.com/vEN/Gale Laurieria/Maps/Maps/Map_RR.pdf
It's tangential to the Camino from Porto, but shows a LOT of old churches in Northern Portugal!

Last edited:
We walked from Porto in November and our last night before Santiago was spent in Iria Flavia. It's an unassuming little place with a big history. The guy in our albergue gave us a full history lesson... there is even a little certificate you can get (we didn't get one but I wish we had).

https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/st-james/

The steeples at Iria are unusual and there are similar steeples on Santiago Cathedral... you see them really well on the Rooftop tour and the guide explained the influences.

http://terrasdeiria.com/en/item/iglesia-de-santa-maria-la-mayor-de-iria-flavia-antigua-colegiata/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Convento de Cristo in Tomar, just up the hill. Also in Tomar the synagogue/museum one of the two ancient synagogues remaining in all of Portugal.

Convento de Cristo in Tomar, just up the hill. Also in Tomar the synagogue/museum one of the two ancient synagogues remaining in all of Portugal.

Braga, north of Porto and off the Camino route, is a pilgrimage site for Portuguese. There are many cathedrals in the city, and up north of the city is Bom Jesus, which is accessed by a small train, or many! steps. Some pilgrims go up on their knees. There are some celtic ruins out east of the city.
Fatima, north of of Lisbon, west and a bit north of Tomar, is another pilgrimage site for Portuguese.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back