• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oldest person to complete the Camino Frances ????

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
I just finished reading a newspaper article about 93 year old Dorothea Adaskin and her 60 year old daughter, Tanya completing the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, this past summer. They are from Anacortes Washington in the northwest portion of the USA.
Reading this made me wonder if anyone would know of anyone older than 93 to have completed the entire distance.
Either way congrats to her. (I could only hope to be standing upright at 93). LOL !!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dorothea is really inspiring at 93. However, the age of many pilgrims may be a surprise to some pilgrims.

There are many active forum members here in their late 70's and 80's who regularly walk various camino routes each year.
They generally seem to be at about the same fitness level as much younger walkers and do not need or use any "services" that many younger pilgrims seem to use today.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just finished reading a newspaper article about 93 year old Dorothea Adaskin and her 60 year old daughter, Tanya completing the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, this past summer. They are from Anacortes Washington in the northwest portion of the USA.
Reading this made me wonder if anyone would know of anyone older than 93 to have completed the entire distance.
Either way congrats to her. (I could only hope to be standing upright at 93). LOL !!!!!
I just finished my Camino this year at 73 - From Astorga to Sarria and from Santiago to Finisterra ( 250 kms) . And hope to walk Camino Primitivo on 2021, at 77 years : Año Santo Jacobeo ( Holy Years of Compostela) in order to obtain a plenary indulgence . I will be absolved from all my sins

This is a good thread for the following..
At 65 yrs young this month, I just arrived back to Texas USA last week. Finishing the Frances from SJPP, to Santiago.
I was privileged to have met an 80 yr. old gal, Miss Veronica, born in London & living in Paris for past 50 yrs., who has been to Santiago 10 times, always for other people, she told me.However This camino is for herself and will be her #11.
She was in the travel industry and said she " Sold France" to the rest of the world"....!
In sharing dinner a few times on various days Miss Veronica mentioned she had met the Pope, the Dali Lama, and other dignitaries throughout her life.
She eventually told me the story of attending Easter Sunday service at Canterbury cathedral a few years ago, and asking the bishop to say a prayer for a trip, she was departing for the next day...
The bishop took her by the hand and placed her and his hands on the
sarcophagus of Sir Thomas Becket, and prayed. She began walking, the next day, to Rome Italy. Over 2000 km.
Eventually, in so many words, I asked what many new walkers and most family & friends ask a pilgrim... ...."why are you walking these many km's "..?
In her unique and most poignant way
She simply replied..."why not walk"..!
You can only leave it at that, I thought to myself...
Inspired and blessed to have met so many wonderful folks on my first Camino, With my primary goals, emotionally/spiritually, better understood of simplifying and re-newing...I've just begun to digest and enjoy the real blessings I've been given over the past 5 weeks..
It's interesting how Miss Veronicas' outlook of "why not walk.." seems to ring in my soul...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2013 I walked on and off for many days with Maria from Argentina, she was 83 years old. It was her third year on a Camino which had began in Stuttgart in 2011. She returned on 2012 to continue through France and Spain and started again a year later in Pamplona.

I remember reading about a 95-yr old gentleman who completed the Camino a few years ago. However, I can't find the reference to confirm it. I was a spring chicken when I completed the CF at 70, and still not one of the elders when I completed the CP (from Porto) earlier this year at 73.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The most inspiring couple I saw on the camino were in their 80s, both carrying their backpacks, taking care of each other, walking slowly coming down a very rocky and slippery hill, I could feel the love coming out of their souls. They heard my steps, gave me a buen camino, and slowly moved to the side to let me pass. I felt ashamed for invading their space, gave them a buen camino and a God bless you, and moved on as fast as I could to let them enjoy their camino. Thanks for reading y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just finished my Camino this year at 73 - From Astorga to Sarria and from Santiago to Finisterra ( 250 kms) . And hope to walk Camino Primitivo on 2021, at 77 years : Año Santo Jacobeo ( Holy Years of Compostela) in order to obtain a plenary indulgence . I will be absolved from all my sins
Keep the faith, abuela!

I met and celebrated 3 80 year birthdays on the frances in 2015

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know it's "interesting", but the age of the person walking the Camino means nothing. We're not to be judged by how old we are surely?
I also walked “with” a couple with a 2 1/2 year old. Pushed that buggy the whole way. Both ends of the rainbow!!

On our last night in Santiago de Compostella we met an 84-year-old Australian man who had hiked from SJPP to Santiago. He explained that the benefits of hiking at this age was the special attention he received at albergues, restaurants and from fellow pilgrims. There was always a bottom bunk made available, people looking out for him, and special attention at supper. He loved it.

I know it's "interesting", but the age of the person walking the Camino means nothing. We're not to be judged by how old we are surely?
We are celebrating the accomplishment of a 93 year old! That's not judging. When so many things can go wrong with the body- that good food, proper rest and exercise can't change, it is wonderful to hear that someone at 93 years of age could take on the physical demands of the Camino and finish! The story is inspiring and it was so interesting to hear how she approached doing the Camino - taking her time, seeing everything, spending time at the Abbey - volunteering, and finding so much joy in the present. Maybe I can learn these things over my next 30 years.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I had pleasure of meeting Dorothea and Tanya along the Camino.. first at Albergue Casa Verde and later in Sarria. Dorothea is truly inspirational and I loved her stories. One story is the time she moved out of her old folks residence after six years because she wasn't 'growing'. She took off to Denmark where she was accepted at a college to study world politics. She didn't say her age then but I was doing mental arithmetic and I think she would have been mid 70s. Oh to have that courage and independence as I shed my working years and start the next stage of my adventure on this planet. Wrt 'age'. On my Camino I walked with a lovely young man from Germany, Phillip who is 19, Jack from Atlanta who is 73, Janette 56, Monserrat 26, Valeria 32, James 83, and many more. On my first Camino, I discovered what many of you already know is unique to the Camino.. the acceptance and camaraderie between all ages and all walks of life. It's beautiful. Buen Camino Everyone

The thread should inspire you! Especially if you are in your 70's and think you might not have too many years left to walk the Camino.
I walked with Robert Spenger when he was 89 and when he was 90 years old. He collected his 10th Compostela in 2014 after having had a triple heart by-pass a few years earlier.

Attachments

• 20130529_131154.jpg
    20130529_131154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
I saw this article about Dorothea and her daughter on Facebook and immediately shared it on my page, I found it so inspiring!! I saw many senior people walking the Camino and it continues to be a source of inspiration to me. I often thought of them during tough moments and it kept me going. I pray I might have the energy and health to keep going on the Camino when I am that age!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dorothea and her amazing energy, will and ambition are truly inspirational to me. Learning her age and the age of many others I have seen and heard of on the Camino(s) allows me and many of us to be able to have a brighter outlook on our future "golden" years.
Remember - We came into the world with an inhale and we will leave it with an exhale. (I would not have a problem if my exhale happens one day on a Camino !!!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi so encouraged by this thread. Met Sarah from North Western US. Late 80’s and she was hit by an Italialian cyclist as she pressed into the side of the Camino. He kissed her. She went to hospital: injured ribs: cost her over €200. Met her her when she asked me Sept 2016 to help her on with her backpack. Still going strong when we met her in Santiago. Next Camino 2018 : As excited as ever. 70 next birthday. Is this this the answer to a longer(er) life.

Field Marshall, I also had the pleasure of meeting Veronica at the albergue in Ciraqui. We had a wonderful conversation over dinner. She is a marvellous lady and I love her reply to your question, Why not walk, indeed. She was truly inspiring.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I remember reading about a 95-yr old gentleman who completed the Camino a few years ago. However, I can't find the reference to confirm it. I was a spring chicken when I completed the CF at 70, and still not one of the elders when I completed the CP (from Porto) earlier this year at 73.
He might have been the man I met a few days east of Leon. He was a WWII vet in his mid-ninties, an aviator, who still hiked the Appalachian Trail. A really nice guy. That was in the fall of '13, when I was 73 and walking in the company of a 80-year-old.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dorothea is really inspiring at 93. However, the age of many pilgrims may be a surprise to some pilgrims.

There are many active forum members here in their late 70's and 80's who regularly walk various camino routes each year.
They generally seem to be at about the same fitness level as much younger walkers and do not need or use any "services" that many younger pilgrims seem to use today.

I am 81 and am planning on walking my third Camino next summer.

Hi so encouraged by this thread. Met Sarah from North Western US. Late 80’s and she was hit by an Italialian cyclist as she pressed into the side of the Camino. He kissed her. She went to hospital: injured ribs: cost her over €200. Met her her when she asked me Sept 2016 to help her on with her backpack. Still going strong when we met her in Santiago. Next Camino 2018 : As excited as ever. 70 next birthday. Is this this the answer to a longer(er) life.

The Camino certainly does change your perspective and amps up your fitness.
But.. you have to vigorously pretrain to condition your feet and your legs and heart and breathing

I just finished reading a newspaper article about 93 year old Dorothea Adaskin and her 60 year old daughter, Tanya completing the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, this past summer. They are from Anacortes Washington in the northwest portion of the USA.!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bob, Dorothea’s daughter wrote me and wondered where you saw the article?

I have met, many years back, two brothers that celebrated their 50th anniversary of being ordained to the priesthood, they were both in their mid 80s, walked every step of the CF, carried their own backpack and gently kicked me out of the sacristy stating "we have been doing that for a while". Indeed, they knew what they were doing, BC SY

Showing off: I did my first ever pilgrimage to celebrate my 70 birthday, starting from home on the north coast of Brittany along the coast all the way round Brittany, down the Atlantic coast, on the Camino del Norte via Ribadeo to Santiago and on to the Cap de Finisterre. Carried my pack, including a tent which I sent back from Irun. A total of 5 months on the road. Alone! A wonderful experience!

Started again walking the Primitivo and am hooked now and walk one camino every year. Solo, except for a few days when one or more of my children (who are in their fifties now) walk with me.

I told you, I was showing off!

PS Have also become hooked to this forum, which I discovered a short while ago!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did my first ever pilgrimage to celebrate my 70 birthday, starting from home on the north coast of Brittany along the coast all the way round Brittany, down the Atlantic coast, on the Camino del Norte via Ribadeo to Santiago and on to the Cap de Finisterre. Carried my pack, including a tent which I sent back from Irun. A total of 5 months on the road. Alone! A wonderful experience!
Started again walking the Primitivo and am hooked now and walk one camino every year. Solo, except for a few days when one or more of my children (who are in their fifties now) walk with me.
I am in awe.
And it gives me hope.
A deep bow of thanks, @pelerine .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back