• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oldest pilgrim dies at age 102

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Ireland surely breed them tough!

Galway is mourning the loss of one of its most remarkable citizens after former army captain and NUIG lecturer Alasdar MacCana passed away last week. He would have been 102 years old on Tuesday.

The Oughterard centenarian earned acclaim last year when completed a Certificate in Computing at Moycullen VEC at the age of 101 with a view to starting his own business.

He remained physically adroit and could regularly be seen walking from his home at Portacarron into the village of Oughterard. He travelled to Northern Spain with his son to complete the 100-mile Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage at the age of 97, covering ten miles a day over ten days. He recently turned his attention to studying Ancient Greek before he died at his home in Portacarron, Oughterard last Monday.

Alasdar had an insatiable thirst for knowledge and completed a computer course last year driven by an ambition to start his own business as an educational adviser. He had also started to learn Ancient Greek.

Described as a spiritual man of deep faith, Alasdar attributed his remarkable longevity to “everything in moderation” and habitually enjoyed cigars, a glass of red wine before dinner and a glass of whiskey before bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sillydoll,

Thank you for this very inspirational post!

They certainly do breed them tough in Ireland. My last supervisor was a U.S. Marine born in Ireland, and in Nov '09 he ran the JFK 50 miler in about 8 1/2 hours at the age of 43 and several months before that he did a 39 mile run in Ireland. I've emailed him the link to this posting, hoping to get him interested in the Camino.

Palma

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's amazing the wide variety of folks that walk the Way and the many reasons they do.

Here is a man (and I'm sure there are many women) that never "retire", but keep on growing, sharing and continue to dream and, oft times, fulfill those dreams.

A friend in the insurance business, an acquaintance really, said that, as far as policy holders go...they encourage folks to remain active as long as possible. The reason: stats indicate that if an individual "completely" retires (at whatever age)...they tend to die within five years.

Keep planning for your future, keep a clear eye on that plan...and you will have a long future!

Capt Alasdar MacCana..God keep you!

Arn

A life well-lived to the very end!

lynne

sillydoll said:
Ireland surely breed them tough!

Described as a spiritual man of deep faith, Alasdar attributed his remarkable longevity to “everything in moderation” and habitually enjoyed cigars, a glass of red wine before dinner and a glass of whiskey before bed.

Beware when an Irishman uses this partial quote as it might lead you to suppose the quoter is advocating caution, prudence and restraint......au contraire Wilde's full text, of which Captain MacCana was most certainly aware, is far the more subversive "Everything in moderation including moderation"!
As a man who lived life to the full and who was beloved father of eight children I'd wager that Captain MacCana was quoting Oscar with tongue firmly in cheek.
Nell

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I almost missed this and am so glad I didn't.
Perhaps sainthood should be redefined in terms of this man's amazing contribution to his own life. The Camino in one's 90's. New skills in one's hundreds even with the view to staring a new career. Learning Greek.
Alasdar MacCana you have become my new hero. What a way to say thank you for the gift of life!
Tracy

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.