• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OLERON - PAMPLONA MAY 2011

cowS

OK SO WERE BOOKED UP.

FLYING TO TOULOUSE FROM BRISTOL, (UK) IN THE FIRST WEEK IN MAY, PLANNING ON WALKING TO PAMPLONA, MY QUESTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

CAN WE GET A PILGRIMS PASSPORT BEFORE WE LEAVE?DO WE NEED ONE AS WERE NOT WALKING ALL THE WAY TO SANTIAGO, NOT SURE IF ITS REQUIRED FOR REFUGIOS

HOW WOULD PEOPLE RECOMMEND WE GET TO OLERON SAINTE MARIE FROM TOULOUSE? (WE DONT HAVE TIME TO WALK THIS SECTION AS WELL)

ONCE WE SET OFF ON OUR CAMINO DO WE NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATION BEFORE WE LEAVE OR JUST ARRIVE AND SEE WHAT IS AVAILABLE EACH EVENING. WILL THERE BE PLACES OPEN DURING MAY?

HOW FREQUENT ARE SHOPS ALONG THE ROUTE, WHAT DID PEOPLE DO FOR FOOD, EAT OUT? TAKE A SMALL STOVE? BUY FOOD AND COOK IN REFUGIOS? WHAT ABOUT WATER, DID PEOPLE BUY BOTTLED OR FILL UP FROM TAPS - HOW COMMON ARE THESE?

THANKS FOR PEOPLE A FEW REPLIES ABOUT GUIDES / MAPS THAT I HAVE POSTED PREVIOUSLY - ANY FURTHER ADVICE ON GOOD SOURCES OF INFORMATION? HOW WELL IS THE ROUTE SIGNPOSTED?

IS THERE INTERNET ACCESS ALONG THE ROUTE? WHAT ABOUT MOBILE PHONE RECEPTION?

FROM PAMPLONA WERE HOPING TO GET PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO BARCELONA AND FLY HOME FROM HERE - ANY ADVICE ON THE BEST METHOD.

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS BUT WERE TRYING TO MAKE THE MOST OF OUR TRIP AND WANT TO BE AS PREPARED AS POSSIBLE.

MANY THANKS AND GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOUR OWN ADVENTURES

CHRIS AND ALI

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FLYING TO TOULOUSE FROM BRISTOL, (UK) IN THE FIRST WEEK IN MAY, PLANNING ON WALKING TO PAMPLONA, MY QUESTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

CAN WE GET A PILGRIMS PASSPORT BEFORE WE LEAVE? DO WE NEED ONE AS WERE NOT WALKING ALL THE WAY TO SANTIAGO, NOT SURE IF ITS REQUIRED FOR REFUGIOS

You will need a credencial (pilgrim passport) if you want to stay in the pilgrim hostels, whether or not you walk all the way to Santiago. You could join the CSJ and get one of their passports or you could get on in Oloron St Marie.

HOW WOULD PEOPLE RECOMMEND WE GET TO OLERON SAINTE MARIE FROM TOULOUSE? (WE DONT HAVE TIME TO WALK THIS SECTION AS WELL)

You can get a train from Toulouse (they go trough Pau) - http://www.voyages-sncf.com

ONCE WE SET OFF ON OUR CAMINO DO WE NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATION BEFORE WE LEAVE OR JUST ARRIVE AND SEE WHAT IS AVAILABLE EACH EVENING. WILL THERE BE PLACES OPEN DURING MAY?

If you want to stay in the pilgrim accommodation it is best to book those that can booked ahead of time.
In Oloron you can stay at the Relais du Bastet albergue. http://www.relaisdubastet.fr
In Sarance at the monastery.
Borce has pilgrim accommodation – a little chapel (St.James) with gite d'etape for 6 persons and one little bar/food store. The chapel/gite is the first building on the left side when entering the village” If that is full, there is the Gite Communal in town that has dormitory accommodation for about €10
Once you are in Spain you can check this website for accommodation, most which can't be booked ahead. http://www.jacajacobea.com:80/listado_albergues.php

HOW FREQUENT ARE SHOPS ALONG THE ROUTE, WHAT DID PEOPLE DO FOR FOOD, EAT OUT? TAKE A SMALL STOVE? BUY FOOD AND COOK IN REFUGIOS? WHAT ABOUT WATER, DID PEOPLE BUY BOTTLED OR FILL UP FROM TAPS - HOW COMMON ARE THESE?

We didn't have any problems buying food, cooking in the refuges or eating pilgrim menus when available.

THANKS FOR PEOPLE A FEW REPLIES ABOUT GUIDES / MAPS THAT I HAVE POSTED PREVIOUSLY - ANY FURTHER ADVICE ON GOOD SOURCES OF INFORMATION? HOW WELL IS THE ROUTE SIGNPOSTED?

The signs are pretty good. In France you will have a combination of the Chemin St Jacques signs and the yellow arrows and in Spain just the yellow arrows.

IS THERE INTERNET ACCESS ALONG THE ROUTE? WHAT ABOUT MOBILE PHONE RECEPTION?

We ddn't take a phone but there was internet at most of the stops including the small albergues at Santa Celia and artieda.

FROM PAMPLONA WERE HOPING TO GET PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO BARCELONA AND FLY HOME FROM HERE - ANY ADVICE ON THE BEST METHOD.

The Bus line for Pamplona to Barcelona is Vibasa: http://www.vibasa. es
There are three trains daily - one a night train which could save you a night in a hotel

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS BUT WERE TRYING TO MAKE THE MOST OF OUR TRIP AND WANT TO BE AS PREPARED AS POSSIBLE.

De nada :D

Attachments

• Camino 2009 2 045.jpg
    Camino 2009 2 045.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,207

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back