• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oleron Sainte Marie or Somport?--directions?

Steeltown Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Tunnel Le Puy Via De Plata Ingles Primitivo Norte Frances Portuguese Fisterra Muxia hospitalero
I am probably going to walk the Aragones in the spring, 2014. I am curious as to the pros and cons of two potential starting points, Oleron Sainte Marie or Somport. Also, I am wondering if some one can provide the best way to reach either location from Paris, my likely entry point. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You cannot get to Somport from France without going through Oloron-Ste.-Marie. From Paris a train would be most convenient. It probably will connect through Bordeaux or Pau.

From Somport you descend for a couple of days. From Oloron you ascend for a couple of days, then go abruptly up to Somport.

Thanks Falc0n269. Guess I'll start in Oleron if I land in Paris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another option is to fly to Madrid, take a bus to Pamplona, then a bus to Jaca, and from there, you can get a bus to Oloron or Somport.
I'll be walking the Aragones around mid-April. If you see me, say hola!

Walk from Pau, easy to get to and you can stay with the delightful Martine near the route to Lescar and the Gite at Lacommande, recommended!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another option is to fly to Madrid, take a bus to Pamplona, then a bus to Jaca, and from there, you can get a bus to Oloron or Somport.
I'll be walking the Aragones around mid-April. If you see me, say hola!
Of course I'll say hi--would be nice. O am trying to firm up dates (and itinerary) right now! Buen Camino, eh!

Walk from Pau, easy to get to and you can stay with the delightful Martine near the route to Lescar and the Gite at Lacommande, recommended![/quot

Agree with Dalston999. Pau would be a great place to start. Nice walk to Lacommande and another nice day to Oloron St. Marie. Definitely stay with Martinez Réau in Pau (campostellae.fr or martine.reau@pau.fr)
and the gite in Lacommande is quaint (4 beds) and there is actually a winery across the street. It's also a nice walk from Oloron to Somport, albeit you might have a bit of road walking on the highway.
Bon Chemin. Dayton

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am probably going to walk the Aragones in the spring, 2014. I am curious as to the pros and cons of two potential starting points, Oleron Sainte Marie or Somport. Also, I am wondering if some one can provide the best way to reach either location from Paris, my likely entry point. Thanks.
I walked the Camino Aragones in September last year and started off from Somport. My biggest regret was that I didn't start at Oleron Sainte Marie which is where everyone else seemed to start (there were no more than 6 pilgrims each day). I felt that I had sold myself a bit short, as I believe that the scenery is superb, and I would have loved to walk up and over the Pyrenees as opposed to catching the bus from Jaca (or Pau) to Somport and walking down from there. If you dont have any time constraints, go for Oleron St Marie.

albeit you might have a bit of road walking on the highway.
The French randonneur organization's guidebook tells walkers to take the bus from about Bedous to the base of the climb to Somport because the road is so dangerous in this section. Other guidebooks do not make that recommendation, but it is no safer if you use a different guidebook!!! When the principal walkers organization says not to walk, it may be a good bit of advice.

I walked the Camino Aragones in September last year and started off from Somport. My biggest regret was that I didn't start at Oleron Sainte Marie which is where everyone else seemed to start (there were no more than 6 pilgrims each day). I felt that I had sold myself a bit short, as I believe that the scenery is superb, and I would have loved to walk up and over the Pyrenees as opposed to catching the bus from Jaca (or Pau) to Somport and walking down from there. If you dont have any time constraints, go for Oleron St Marie.
Thanks Jenysa--not to worry--no chance I'll start from Somport--don't want that "regret" feeling!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The French randonneur organization's guidebook tells walkers to take the bus from about Bedous to the base of the climb to Somport because the road is so dangerous in this section. Other guidebooks do not make that recommendation, but it is no safer if you use a different guidebook!!! When the principal walkers organization says not to walk, it may be a good bit of advice.

This was my information too for that section. So I asked at the tourist office in Oloron and was told that there was no problem with the road. I walked the road and had no problems, but I have walked a lot of roads and am used to it. It would be dodgy if two trucks passed at the same time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked up the road as there was still some snow in May this year which covered many of the marks and no one around, so the locals advised staying in the road. It was the weekend and very little traffic, no trucks. Not sure what a weekday would be like.

I still advocate starting in Pau for the 'full experience'!

Snow? May? Gee, I was thinking early April!!! Will check my closet for snowshoes.

I walked up to Somport on 6th April 2008 and there was a [very] little snow beside the road, but definitely nothing on it. My signature photo shows the snow on the hills around Somport at daybreak on April 7th, with the metal statue of a pilgrim gazing into the west, towards St James. I followed the pilgrim trail signs that morning, which meant that I walked on snow for about one km. until I got below the snow line. I could have avoided the snow by walking down the road to Canfranc.

The last couple of posts on this thread demonstrate the futility of asking what the weather in a particular area will be like in a years time.

I started in Pau and walked to Lescar the first night. I got my credential at the very helpful tourist office in Lescar, but the next days walk to Oloron was tough.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Jenysa--not to worry--no chance I'll start from Somport--don't want that "regret" feeling!!!
I started from Oloron mid May last year and I saw nothing until Somport. Fog and heavy rain all the way. Was advised to take the road because the path was too bad. Lots of heavy traffic along a narrow highway. At Somport the sun showed up and gave me some nice days through Aragon. If the weather is bad, do not feel loosing something if you take the bus to Somport!
randi

hi Steeltown

this url is in Spanish but it gives you the lowdown on the C Aragones from Oleron

http://www.jacajacobea.com/ficha_poblaciones.php?pob_id=1

there is also a French site called 'aucoeurduchemin' that has similar info and diagrams...

happy trails (b t w I did the C from Somport - starting from Jaca by bus; I had intended a start from France but as I flew in to Barcelona it worked out better to take the bus to Jaca and Somport - that was in Sept 06 - at Puenta la Reina the crowd waiting at the alberge at 2.30pm 'scared' me off ( i had heard ppl saying how crowded the C Frances was) So I took a train from Pamplona to Salamanca and parachuted (s t s) onto the VdlP

Peter

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back