A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Oloron-Somport; how many stages?

2020 Camino Guides

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hola familia peregrina!

I am thinking about taking this route at the end of April or beginning of May, and I was wondering about how many stages there would be between Oloron and Somport; in some places, I have seen two, whereas I have seen three in other sites.

What is the distance between Oloron and Somport? 2 stages? 3 stages?

It will be a bit of an arduous trip from Granada to Oloron with stopovers in Madrid, Zaragoza and Canfranc, but I am looking forward to it!

karenhypes

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (09), Chemin Le Puy (10/11), hospitaleros (11), Chemin Arles (Apr 13), Caminho Portuguese (15).
Hi Amancio, We walked the Arles route this past April and May. Our stages from Oloron went like this:
Oloron > Bedous - 28.6 km (nice walk)
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5 km (lot of road walking)
Urdos > Somport - 13.3 km > Canfranc-Estaçion > 20.0 km total (we ran into a lot of snow going up to Somport)

Beautiful scenery. Sarrance is a nice stop as is Borce. Albergue Aysa in Somport looked like a nice spot. Great bar/cafe with great views. Mandatory stop even if you go on to Canfrac-Estaçion.
Enjoy. Dayton and Karen

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aragones 2008, del Norte 2009, VdlP 2011, Ingles 2014, Camino de Madri 2015, Frances 2017
Hi Amancio, We walked the Arles route this past April and May. Our stages from Oloron went like this:
Oloron > Bedous - 28.6 km (nice walk)
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5 km (lot of road walking)
Urdos > Somport - 13.3 km > Canfranc-Estaçion > 20.0 km total (we ran into a lot of snow going up to Somport)

Beautiful scenery. Sarrance is a nice stop as is Borce. Albergue Aysa in Somport looked like a nice spot. Great bar/cafe with great views. Mandatory stop even if you go on to Canfrac-Estaçion.
Enjoy. Dayton and Karen
Hola familia peregrina!

I am thinking about taking this route at the end of April or beginning of May, and I was wondering about how many stages there would be between Oloron and Somport; in some places, I have seen two, whereas I have seen three in other sites.

What is the distance between Oloron and Somport? 2 stages? 3 stages?

It will be a bit of an arduous trip from Granada to Oloron with stopovers in Madrid, Zaragoza and Canfranc, but I am looking forward to it!

In 2008 I walked from Oloron to Sarrance, and then from Sarrance to Somport. This last section was close to 40 km mostly uphill, and though I had sworn before I left Australia that I was going to walk every centimetre and not take a taxi/bus/train on my trip, if I had been offered a lift during the last 5oom I would have accepted with alacrity! That was in early April with some snow around but not nearly as much as this year which had heavy snow falls much later in the season than normally. The albergue Aysa was fine, basically a ski lodge with some pilgrim accommodation, and a bit more expensive that the classic pilgrim albergue from then on.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
Can only add that since the distance is approx. 50 kms, and a lot is uphill (especially the last section up to Somport), 3 days is a good time, but 2 is for the superman/woman. Where the valley narrows, the walking is difficult as some of the path is both uphill and sloping sideways.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 172 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 278 24.4%