• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oloron-Somport; how many stages?

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hola familia peregrina!

I am thinking about taking this route at the end of April or beginning of May, and I was wondering about how many stages there would be between Oloron and Somport; in some places, I have seen two, whereas I have seen three in other sites.

What is the distance between Oloron and Somport? 2 stages? 3 stages?

It will be a bit of an arduous trip from Granada to Oloron with stopovers in Madrid, Zaragoza and Canfranc, but I am looking forward to it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Amancio, We walked the Arles route this past April and May. Our stages from Oloron went like this:
Oloron > Bedous - 28.6 km (nice walk)
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5 km (lot of road walking)
Urdos > Somport - 13.3 km > Canfranc-Estaçion > 20.0 km total (we ran into a lot of snow going up to Somport)

Beautiful scenery. Sarrance is a nice stop as is Borce. Albergue Aysa in Somport looked like a nice spot. Great bar/cafe with great views. Mandatory stop even if you go on to Canfrac-Estaçion.
Enjoy. Dayton and Karen

Hi Amancio, We walked the Arles route this past April and May. Our stages from Oloron went like this:
Oloron > Bedous - 28.6 km (nice walk)
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5 km (lot of road walking)
Urdos > Somport - 13.3 km > Canfranc-Estaçion > 20.0 km total (we ran into a lot of snow going up to Somport)

Beautiful scenery. Sarrance is a nice stop as is Borce. Albergue Aysa in Somport looked like a nice spot. Great bar/cafe with great views. Mandatory stop even if you go on to Canfrac-Estaçion.
Enjoy. Dayton and Karen
Hola familia peregrina!

I am thinking about taking this route at the end of April or beginning of May, and I was wondering about how many stages there would be between Oloron and Somport; in some places, I have seen two, whereas I have seen three in other sites.

What is the distance between Oloron and Somport? 2 stages? 3 stages?

It will be a bit of an arduous trip from Granada to Oloron with stopovers in Madrid, Zaragoza and Canfranc, but I am looking forward to it!

In 2008 I walked from Oloron to Sarrance, and then from Sarrance to Somport. This last section was close to 40 km mostly uphill, and though I had sworn before I left Australia that I was going to walk every centimetre and not take a taxi/bus/train on my trip, if I had been offered a lift during the last 5oom I would have accepted with alacrity! That was in early April with some snow around but not nearly as much as this year which had heavy snow falls much later in the season than normally. The albergue Aysa was fine, basically a ski lodge with some pilgrim accommodation, and a bit more expensive that the classic pilgrim albergue from then on.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Can only add that since the distance is approx. 50 kms, and a lot is uphill (especially the last section up to Somport), 3 days is a good time, but 2 is for the superman/woman. Where the valley narrows, the walking is difficult as some of the path is both uphill and sloping sideways.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back