• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olot

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Came across a Netfix show called The World's Most Extraordinary Homes
in one of the episodes which centers on various houses in Spain they mentioned Olot and the fact that it is "on the pilgrimage way to Santiago de Compostella"
Be it that seems its located in the upper part of Catalunia (Catalonia, Catalan - I think its a given what region I am talking about no matter pronunciation) I think it would apply to this section of the Forum?
Just kind of curious as to what little town it is, thats all :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like @SabineP, I have been in Olot, but not while walking a camino. Her use of the word gorgeous is spot on. And would also, IMO, apply to Girona — @SabineP we must have very similar tastes!

According to the notes from my Cami Catalá, the camino does not actually go through Olot. There is a via verde that leaves Girona, but my notes say that the arrows took us off the via verde about ten kms before Olot.

It is a fabulous camino, for those who like Romanesque and beautiful natural settings. The fact that it goes through one of Spain’s wealthiest regions means that you will see tons of beautiful old stone houses remodeled, well maintained, and surrounded by lovely flowers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So.... Skip the Frances, start in Barcelona (my fave Spanish town) get to Olot and start moving West from there? ;) 😁
Barcelona is where you land but you don't start walking from there. Use the Chrome browser for its automatic translation and visit this webpage

Last edited:
Olot is a gorgeous town
Definitely. I love volcanoes and there is an impressive crater right in the middle of the town, with views on to other ones nearby. Also pleasant tree lined streets. It was a short bus ride from Sant Esteve d'en Bas, where I was staying on my camí catalán last October. As a fan of Spain's quirkier museums, it was a disappointment that the town's Museo de los Volcanes was closed by covid. They have (or possibly had) a black Madonna that was unearthed by a bull in the 9th century, a nice mixing of the Marian and Europa stories.

IMG_20201013_174932.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back