• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olveiroa

Gabriel Aquilina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese way, camino primitivo
Hi everyone!

Last year I walked from Porto till Santiago and this year would like to continue it by walking from Santiago up to Muxia, Finisterre and back to Santiago. Will be going in February and since most of the albergues are closed during February, decided to book some of them.

The only place that I'm finding problem with is Oliveiroa! does anyone recommend a particular albergue?
Is there a place close by that I could walk further, or stop before, and spend the night in?
Will be walking alone, so I am open to all suggestions :)

thanks in advance
buen camino
Gabriel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Gabriel,

I think you'll find that the municipal albergues are open all year. The Eroski site has complete lists of albergues here: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/epilogo-a-fisterra/

Olveiroa has a lot of options. The municipal albergue here is very nice, btw. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-santiago-de-olveiroa#bloque-informacion

There are also private options in Olveiroa. The one I would recommend is As PĂ­as. Even if you don't sleep there, you must eat there. It is the only decent place to eat in Olveiroa, and the food is home made, high quality and very very good. The other places are pilgrim rip-offs with filete and patatas fritas on the menĂş del peregrino. Info on As Pias is here:
http://www.aspias.net/

Buen camino, Laurie

Welcome to the Forum, @Gabriel Aquilina!

There are three accommodation choices (that I know) of in Olveiroa.

Public albergue is available but, to be honest, I do not know whether it is open in February and know of no way to contact them. It was a very nice albergue though showering there in February might be a tad chilly!

The other place that I have personal experience with, as far as sleeping, is Casa Loncho. Very nice with an assortment of room appointments. Link is:

http://casaloncho.com/EN/The_Pension.html

Whatever you do, eat at As Pias. They also have beds but I do not have direct experience with them.

http://www.aspias.net/

Buen Camino,

B

(Edit: Better experts got their messages in while I was still typing.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed in Casa Rural As Pias in a single room 40 Euro/night...nice place and dinner was great but the owner does not speak English...the better choice in Casa Loncho with albergue 12 euros/night or private room 45 euros/night and they speak excellent English...regardless Casa Loncho has a great small food store and restaurant and is the best breakfast place in town...I had the best made to order American style double breakfast that I ate on my whole 1000 km Camino at Casa Loncho...with eggs, bacon, real toast, pastry, orange juice...so good I ordered a second breakfast.

Last edited:
Agree with the above comments. We stayed at Casa Loncho last June and it was very friendly and lots of accommodation options (As Pias was full). As Pias is our favourite though, great food as Laurie mentioned. We've also stayed at the municipal and it was fine but that was in 2009. Dayton and Karen

Gosh, that thread is a trip down memory lane! When I was a hospitalera in Olveiroa back in 2000/01 there was only one bar in the village (no shop, no other accommodation at all) and the owner of the bar begged us the hospitaleros to cook for the pilgrims in the albergue and even took us for free in her car to the next supermarket. How things change ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gosh, that thread is a trip down memory lane! When I was a hospitalera in Olveiroa back in 2000/01 there was only one bar in the village (no shop, no other accommodation at all) and the owner of the bar begged us the hospitaleros to cook for the pilgrims in the albergue and even took us for free in her car to the next supermarket. How things change ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Your memories are similar to mine. The hospitalera made dinner for us and there was one smoky bar on the road. If you haven't been back since, you would be stunned. The owners of the Loncho have an albergue, casa rural, and big cafe/bar. They told me in 2012 that they were considering an "all you can eat" buffet restaurant. Omg.

You would also be shocked to see how many thousands of euros have been spent prettifying the exit from town. Paving, gardens, some old farm implements if I'm remembering right, it was a shocker. Olveiroa wins my vote for the most changed town on the route to Finisterre. Kind of like Santa Catalina de Somoza on the Frances after Astorga.

Or O Cebreiro, or Foncebadon ;-) Now, I haven't been back since, but it seems I would really like to walk that route if I arrive in time in Santiago! When where you the first time in Olveiroa @peregrina2000 ? Buen Camino, SY

Or O Cebreiro, or Foncebadon ;-) Now, I haven't been back since, but it seems I would really like to walk that route if I arrive in time in Santiago! When where you the first time in Olveiroa @peregrina2000 ? Buen Camino, SY

I couldn't remember, but a quick forum search told me it was fall of 2004. :) One of my fond memories was that the outdoor terrace of the bar, enveloped in those plastic windows to keep out the wind and rain, was being used by an elderly couple to sort apples for the pigs. They were kind of befuddled by this whole "camino" concept.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is also a little donativo behind the bar at Ponte Olviera about 2km shy of Olvieroa. It's really just a shack with a toilet. There are cold showers in the bar. The owners were very kind to us when we arrived absolutely sodden - turned heaters on above the bar to try to dry our clothes, cooked basic food. It's not the Ritz but Olvieroa was packed both times we passed by so we were grateful for these beds.

There is also a little donativo behind the bar at Ponte Olviera about 2km shy of Olvieroa. It's really just a shack with a toilet. There are cold showers in the bar. The owners were very kind to us when we arrived absolutely sodden - turned heaters on above the bar to try to dry our clothes, cooked basic food. It's not the Ritz but Olvieroa was packed both times we passed by so we were grateful for these beds.

Sounds like my kind of place! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rachel,

I remember we were both going to stay there in 2014, but I decided to walk on to Olveiroa where I did manage to get a bed.

In 2015 when I walked there again, I noticed there is a new Albergue on the corner just before the bridge. It is called the Albergue Ponte Olveira of course.

I will be back again in June and I may well stay there this year.

DSCF9520er.jpg

Thanks everyone for fast responses, really appreciate. will be booking in Casa Loncho as it seems to be the best option, and to be honest not in the mood to have cold showers in February :p

On another note, does anyone know if it is possible for me to find a bus/taxi from Negreira to Santaigo de Compostela airport? Due to studies will be stopping mid camino and will need to gat a flight a day before arriving to santiago again :(

Thanks for your help and buen camino :)

On another note, does anyone know if it is possible for me to find a bus/taxi from Negreira to Santaigo de Compostela airport?
There is a bus service from Negreira to Santiago bus station where you can get a frequent bus shuttle to the airport.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try this link - http://www.concellodenegreira.es/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=667
Extract here
  • Negreira – Santiago. Parada na RĂşa Camiño Vello.
- Horarios luns a venres: 6.45, 7.45, 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 14.45, 15.45, 16.45, 17.45, 18.45, 19.45, 20.45.
- Horarios sábados: 7.45, 8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 13.45, 15.45, 17.45, 19.45, 21.30.
- Horarios domingos e festivos: 8.45, 9.45, 11.45, 13.45, 15.45, 17.45, 19.45, 21.30.

It goes to the bus station in SDC where you can get the airport bus.
Good Luck

Hello Gabriel,
There is an albergue at Logoso too - I stayed there mid-november and it was pleasant enough. Its on booking dot com.
It did make for a long (38km) second day though.
Duncan

Stayed at CR As Pias one night, early June this year. Good room, very good restaurant, after a long walk in the rain. Can recommend. Can't speak to the other options.

Pretty quiet place. I walked back through town to what must have been the livelier Casa Loncho, had a beer, and "people watched".

Last edited:
I stayed at Casa Loncho twice and liked it.

They have a good café, small shop, and a small coin-operated laundomat with dryers, for use by overnight guests.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.