• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OMM Classic 32L Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Camino Frances (2014), Camino Norte (Oct 2018)
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances again in October 2014. I walked in 2012 and can't wait to do it again.

What would I do differently? The first thing is carry less. I am looking at new backpacks. I walked with a Gregory Z40 in 2012 and am looking at the OMM Classic 32L backpack. I want to walk with less than 15 pounds on my back. I now feel comfortable that I can shed many items I brought on my first Camino (see my packing listā€“a September 2012 postā€“I carried way too much).

Has anyone used the OMM Classic 32L pack? Any thoughts?

Dan
www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Considering what you carried on your 2012 walk, can you pass on what your list will be for 2014? Very well done blog, thanks for sharing.

Ray

I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances again in October 2014. I walked in 2012 and can't wait to do it again. What would I do differently? The first thing is carry less. I am looking at new backpacks. I walked with a Gregory Z40 in 2012 and am looking at the OMM Classic 32L backpack. I want to walk with less than 15 pounds on my back. I now feel comfortable that I can shed many items I brought on my first Camino (see my packing listā€“a September 2012 postā€“I carried way too much).
Dan
I've considered it Dan, but from memory it's frameless and it just didn't feel right, and just a bit small for me.
The mountain adventure type people love it, and it has stood the test of time.
Regds
Gerard

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Considering what you carried on your 2012 walk, can you pass on what your list will be for 2014? Very well done blog, thanks for sharing.

Ray
Not sure yet what I will be carrying. Just less. Over the coming months I will begin putting together the packing list.

Amazing how fast those grams add up to being to0 many. Good luck and have fun.

Ray

On my last camino (Madrid-Santiago) I walked with the Omm 32 classic. The main reason to take the Omm was that it is possible to run with this backpack. (I did run about one hour a day, the other hours I walked). Other years I walked with an Osprey Atmos 50. Because it indeed doesn't have a frame nor a mesh back system I was afraid that the bag wasn't comfortable. When I left home, I took about 6 kg
The comfort was fine though, it never felt a burden on my back. Because it is possible to run with it, it is a bag which doesn't limit any of your movements, I felt very free in it. With more then 7 or 8 kgs in it, the bag is looses its comfort.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like you, I prefer the smaller bag of 32L. People refer to my bag as a "day and half bag". I've used the same one for all my travels since '04 when my bigger pack didn't arrive in Cuzco. Not good.

The freedom the smaller bag gives really is a bonus. As mentioned above, easy to run with when needed or moving around in general. On my last walk, I think was carrying 7.5kg. There was plenty of room inside my bag of at least 1/4 was empty. I think I'll carry less on this next walk and still be just as comfortable.

I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances again in October 2014. I walked in 2012 and can't wait to do it again.

What would I do differently? The first thing is carry less. I am looking at new backpacks. I walked with a Gregory Z40 in 2012 and am looking at the OMM Classic 32L backpack. I want to walk with less than 15 pounds on my back. I now feel comfortable that I can shed many items I brought on my first Camino (see my packing listā€“a September 2012 postā€“I carried way too much).

Dan
Just looked at your original packing list... I first went "ouch" then chuckled, then said "ouch' again. I'm glad you believe that you learned something and that your next pack will be much lighter.

Dan

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Went May/June 2014 for 30 days with a 30L pack from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Perfect size, I saw far too many people carrying 15 - 20% of their weight. I carried about 7kgs, max 8kgs with food and water. Less is better.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.