• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OMM Trio Chest pack

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Thanks to posts by +@^^ (the pilgrim formerly know as Tam) and Ria I ordered a Trio chest pack and am very pleased with it. I do not have an OMM pack but had no problems with attaching it to my Gregory pack. It comes with the bits you will need. It is very waterproof. It also has an inside slot for a water bottle which gets it off from your back and easy to access.

As Ria said, it could be a bit larger as it is only 4l and it is so handy that I seem to want to put more stuff I want to keep handy in it. It rides very easily and can be quickly adjusted up or down to find a comfortable spot. Very smart and easy adjustments.
It has a quick release on each side so that is quickly unhooked on one side to take off backpack. It is then still attached to the other strap and ready to be put back on with the backpack. No need for it to be separated.

I really found this to be a great addition to my kit. It provides a simple easy place to keep things you may want while walking without stopping and taking off back pack to find it.

http://www.petesy.co.uk/omm-exclusive-1 ... est-pouch/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did you find it somewhere in North America? I can only find UK sites. Thanks.

I did not find it in North America. I ordered from Johnson Sports in Northern Ireland.
They will quickly respond to any email question.
emailto: Sales@Jackson-Sports.com

It was shipped very quickly and arrived in about 10 days via mail.
The cost and shipping is as follows:

1 OMM Trio Chest Pouch - Black
ID: 18013
Unit Price: £18.75
Postage: £4.10 (Royal Mail Airmail)
THE TOTAL COST OF THE ORDER INCLUDING POSTAGE IS: £22.85 ($36.56)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great! Thanks!

lynne

It really is a good addition without adding any weight to the main pack. A great place to carry those things you want handy and to keep a little weight off your back.
I am pretty happy with it.

And just to be clear - you didn't feel your vision downward was obstructed on skeefy trails?

I considered buying the chest pack when I first bought the OMM 32L ultra light pack a few years ago. I decided against it because I know from past hikes that I often took the pack off when sitting outside a cafe-bar, going to the loo, in the albergue etc. I prefer to have a waist bag to hold all the important stuff which stays on me at all times. The OMM pouch is not waterproof so protect cameras, papers etc in zip-lock bags.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JohnnieWalker said:
sillydoll said:
The OMM pouch is not waterproof so protect cameras, papers etc in zip-lock bags.

Ah, just when I was convinced to try this out Sil says it isn't waterproof :( Has anyone tried a version that is?

On no, me too, gosh that was close.......... :lol:

......have to look up that kiwi ruck sac again that the husband & wife used for their winter Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
sillydoll said:
The OMM pouch is not waterproof so protect cameras, papers etc in zip-lock bags.

Ah, just when I was convinced to try this out Sil says it isn't waterproof :( Has anyone tried a version that is?

Not sure what Sil saw that gave her that idea.
Yesterday I walked for about 5 hours (15 miles, 24km) in a heavy continuous rain. The Trio pouch was exposed the entire time and was completely dry. The water beaded and shed off.
Nothing inside was wet in the least.
On the other hand...even tho I had a good pack cover on my pack it did manage to get a little damp because of wind blown rain.

The bottom line...The trio is very waterproof. The "map case" on the chest side is protected by a clear plastic and netting.
Maybe RIA can offer her experience as to waterproofing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
lynnejohn said:
And just to be clear - you didn't feel your vision downward was obstructed on skeefy trails?

Not at all. It isn't that big. Maybe if you were trying to stare straight down your body..but any other angle is clear.

As a further test, I held the Trio under a shower for a period and even held it under water in a basin. I put tissue inside to check for water leaks.

The bottom line is that it did not leak.. Perfectly dry inside.

It is very Waterproof. I would hate to see someone not use this nice piece of kit.

I can't speak from personal experience of the pouch. When I bought my first OMM Backpack in 2007 I considered buying a Chest Pouch as well. I researched a number of hiking websites and many of them commented that the Chest Pouch was not waterproof. I wrote to OMM to ask if the chest pouch was waterproof and they said no, but it was water-resistant.
Perhaps they have redesigned the pouch since then and you have got one of the newer models?
I have just sent a query email asking the same question again. I'll let you all know their reply - when I get one.

Here are some of the outdoor sites that claimed that the pouch was not waterproof.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product256.asp
Although very useful, it should be mentioned this item isn't waterproof, so do add extra protection for any electronic equipment.

http://www.lonewalker.walkingplaces.co.uk/diary/?p=233
The pack takes my camera nicely, with a bit of room to spare for an energy bar and a phone if needed. It’s not waterproof though, so I also have a dry bag folded into the pouch as well. This actually gives the pouch some shape and makes the loading and unloading of the camera a bit easier.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... 17904&umn=
Am I the only one that was surprised the pouch isn't waterproof?

http://v-g.me.uk/GearTech/GearTech-Equi ... TrioRV.htm
Another important question is water resistance: obviously it isn't waterproof, and with the zip on the top its shower resistance can't be great either. I'll need a dry-bag, one that can be folded or rolled and reside at the bottom of the pouch for quick access.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have had a reply from OMM about the Trio Chest Pouch:

Allison Helme sales@arkconsultants.co.uk

Hello,
Thank you for your email. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but the person who would normally respond is off poorly.
The Trio Chest/Map pouch is not waterproof but water resistant, I hope this helps.
Allison

This product has had many rave reviews. If anyone is concerned about it keeping cameras, cell phones, documents etc dry, perhaps just include a drybag for those articles.

Thanks to Sil for the research.
Not sure what to make of it as my experience and tests were very positive. No leakage at all.
The Trio is certainly as water resistant as any other bag I have seen.

It may be that OMM for liability purposes will not use the "waterproof" label.
I have no qualms about using it and would always put any electronics in plastic or dry bags in any bag.

hi all,
i did not walk in heavy rain this year, so i can not really tell you. i guess when it is pouring down for a longer period your stuff in the pouch gets wet, but i did not experience that. it is however dryer than my pack (which is an OMM too and made of very thin lightweight fabric, so gets wet quite easily). in case of heavy rain it is very easy to detach the pouch and attach it somewhere to the outside of your pack, under a raincover. but then you don't have a chest pouch in front of you :)
ria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My chest pack sits beneath my poncho when it rains so it doesn't need to be waterproof. I have also made the following modifications to the chest pack:
Removed the shoelace-type strings that attach chest pack to OMM backpack shoulder straps, the chest pack has buckles on either side to which I attached adjustable webbing straps with a female connector on one and a male on the other, this means they can connect together and be used without the backpack as a shoulder bag or a bum bag. You have to make the connectors on the backpack shoulder straps male and female too so that the chest pack can attach to them.

I would personally get an Aarn rucksack & do the job properly & safely...........& will when my other kiwi macpac rucksacks gives up the ghost.........15yrs old already............

http://aarnpacks.com/products/index.html
MM33rear_000.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.