• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Omnifix stretch tape - I found it!

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I thought I would post a new thread, so it will show up more easily on searches. @trecile and @VNwalking have raved so much about Ominifix stretch tape that I finally bought it in Spain near the end of my last trip. I had never seen it in pharmacies in Canada.

Today I was cleaning out a box of first aid and medical supplies that were left over from my parents' care a few years back. I found a piece of what looked very much like Ominifix stretch. I cut a piece and compared it with the Ominifix version I bought in Spain, and it is the same thing.

The piece I have is MeFix self-adhesive fabric. It can be ordered on line but some medical supply stores might carry it since it is used in hospitals and even home care all the time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree that it doesn’t jump at you in Oz pharmacies either but it IS great stuff. I was introduced to it by 2 French Canadian ladies I walked with on the Le Puy. They cut me a considerable portion from their roll when we parted at the finish of their walk Sjpdp. I still haven’t found IT in Australia yet. So thanks for reminder @C clearly I intend to use it again.
It just holds more neatly and securely. Doesn’t bulk up or curl either.

Annie

There are other similar tapes, like Hypafix. What you want to look for is "dressing retention tape". There are several available on Amazon.com. I just bought a big box of Omnifix from Amazon. It comes in a couple of widths. I like the 4 inch, because it's just right to go across the ball of my foot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that it doesn’t jump at you in Oz pharmacies either but it IS great stuff. I was introduced to it by 2 French Canadian ladies I walked with on the Le Puy. They cut me a considerable portion from their roll when we parted at the finish of their walk Sjpdp. I still haven’t found IT in Australia yet. So thanks for reminder @C clearly I intend to use it again.

Annie
OzAnnie, the local pharmacist in my small town, Eumundi on the Sunshine Coast, was able to find Omnifix tape on the computer listings of her supplier. She had never heard of it nor does she carry it, but after a short search found it. She has ordered a few rolls in for me - no minimum order size either. Give that a go. If you need more get back to me and I will get the link from my pharmacist. Cooee

A kind pilgrim from Belgium gave my daughter something similar to Omnifix for her blister.
He cut it from a large sheet, with a backing marked with a grid.
I’ve never seen it in the UK, or in any French or Spanish pharmacy.
It was very effective and stayed put.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yay! Thank you, @C clearly (and everyone) for sharing your omnifix finds.
Yup, I rave about omnifix - It's great stuff. Wonderful there is a version of it to be found at home.
Funny it's not in Oz, because it was an Australian surgeon who turned me onto it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OzAnnie, the local pharmacist in my small town, Eumundi on the Sunshine Coast, was able to find Omnifix tape on the computer listings of her supplier. She had never heard of it nor does she carry it, but after a short search found it. She has ordered a few rolls in for me - no minimum order size either. Give that a go. If you need more get back to me and I will get the link from my pharmacist. Cooee

Thanks for this heads up @Geoff Shepherd
I will check local pharmacies in the coming week.

He cut it from a large sheet, with a backing marked with a grid.

It was very effective and stayed put.

Exactly @chinacat - that’s my memory of it too. It has backing with a grid marked. And yes ‘stays put’ perfectly. Easy to cut to size required.

@Robo You use it where you could use a band aid or such but this is light and sort of stretchy. Good for places you know end up rubbing and becoming a problem blister. In my case, an area on the back of heels.

Annie

Last edited:
I used mefix last week on my heels and balls of my feet. I found that my boots fit snugly and my feet did not burn. I did find, however, that upon removal after my shower there was a sticky film that had to be removed with cream or nail polish remover. Perhaps I should’ve left it on longer or removed it sooner?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used mefix last week on my heels and balls of my feet. I found that my boots fit snugly and my feet did not burn. I did find, however, that upon removal after my shower there was a sticky film that had to be removed with cream or nail polish remover. Perhaps I should’ve left it on longer or removed it sooner?
I can remove any remaining residue from the Omnifix easily in the shower. That's what I didn't like about Leukotape - the residue was hard to remove.

Geoff would you mins putting that link up for the Sunshine Coast pharmacy please? I'd appreciate being able to make contact. Lindy

Annie
Hi, I am from Melbourne and no problem getting Mefix from local chemist. My mum needed it for a skin tear. Not cheap though.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Geoff would you mins putting that link up for the Sunshine Coast pharmacy please? I'd appreciate being able to make contact. Lindy
@Lindy Loo - I replied (or at least I hope I did) to you re this by ‘starting a conversation’ with you. Hope it got through. Please get back if it did not. Cooee

This year I took Spray Plaster made by the same people who make BandAid. I had no blisters or hot spots so did not need it, but a fellow pilgrim did. It seemed to work well for her. She used a couple of coatings. It's a spray on product that forms a thin flexible waterproof covering, rather like another layer of skin, and very useful for areas that are hard to cover because of their shape.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.