• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

on being a (more) broken pilgrim

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
I was walking The Cistercian Way this autumn and hurt my knee. It was bad enough to have to pull out for 4 weeks. As part of my report and reflection on the route, I have written a bit on the experience of this injury and convalescence here:

https://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2...way-on-becoming-a-more-broken-pilgrim-part-2/

I hope this might be of help to others who can't walk. I'd also be interested to know if this chimes in with anyone else's experience of injury.

Andy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for posting this Andy. Your experience resonated deeply with my own Healing Camino following a foot fracture on the Francés last year.

Yes, yes, yes to all your insights. A great lesson in acceptance, frailty, impermanence and interdependence. A hard lesson for us outdoorsy types who are used to being self-reliant and physically capable - and very much on the move.

The Sufi Mystics had a way of so simply expressing great truths. Hafiz is a great favourite of mine and this, from Rumi, echoes much of your reflections - and mine -
Whatever God gives you, be content. At the very moment you become content in affliction, the door of paradise will open.

I'll leave you with another saying from a Buddhist teacher of mine that he sent me during a particularly dark time on my journey when I thought that I might never be able to go hiking again:
Three Marks of Existence
Suffering.
Impermanence.
No-self.

"Street" version by Jon Kabat-Zinn:
Sh*t happens.
Everything changes.
It's not about you, anyway.

Look forward to reading the continuation of your healing blog and so glad that you are back on your feet and walking again.

The analogy of a (more) broken pilgrim is a beautiful label. So apt for this unexpected and uninvited journey. As Hemingway said: The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

Last edited:
I've followed your blog for some years, Andy, and recognise in your posts the familiar joys and struggles of a pilgrim. And thanks, Wokabau_Meri for all that wisdom: a wonderfully apt collection of sayings for us all.
Yes, it all fits in to my own experience and the image that came to my mind when I first found walking difficult - also with an injured knee - was that of the weak little antelope barely keeping up with all the rest, about to be picked off by a lion while all the herd fled to safety. The reality, for me, has not been so swift or dramatic as that though. My capacity to walk has steadily declined each year with more arthritis and increasingly frequent arrhythmias. All the necessary adjustments like slowing down, asking for help, renouncing personal objectives, not reaching destinations, accepting vulnerability and smiling......letting go and being content with what is... all are part of the spiritual journey as the physical and spiritual blend as one.
Thank you, Andy, for sharing in your blog this year's hardship which I'm sure echoes for many readers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In times of moral or physical stress and hardship comfort may be read in the eternal truths of Ecclesiastes 3, 1-8.

Additionally more recent poetic words of determination help provide our broken souls with necessary timeless will.

"...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield...."
Ulysses
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

And thus we continue to hope.

Thank you Andy for your inspiration. A recent spinal injury has put my Camino on hold until maybe 2018. Whilst those around me think it is impossible, Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," drives me to believe it will happen!

Thanks everyone for those comments - really helpful and insightful.
My knee seems better now. I am back at work. The journey continues

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back