• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On being Ruthless...

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
The word 'ruthless' crossed my path today in conversation and I wondered afterwards if the opposite would be 'ruth'. Lo and behold, there it was in the dictionary , ruth (n.) compassion for another / sorrow about one's own misdeeds or flaws.

How nice it would be if we could all go around with a bit more ruth. I mention this in a camino forum because it's a word that I've searched for when trying to describe the attributes of pilgrims I've met along the way. It's delightful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always thought feck came from fecund... perhaps as a consequence of the other f k word. My mum* was a English major and didnt mind us girls using swear words as long as we knew what they meant and used them in proper context... It always struck me how many swear words have anti female origins. As a justiposition lots of women's names have very high brow and often beautiful meanings such as Ruth, Sophie, Faith and Hope.

* this is the same woman who named her daughter Hel... Apparently it was the first thing she said when I was born.

Last edited:
Be careful ! My name, Sophie, means wisdom...could be digging a hole...LOL
Very good. Thanks for being such a sport after I took your thoughtful post and drove it over a cliff. I've been spending an awful lot of time on the NOT a serious thread thread and couldn't help myself.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a juxtaposition lots of women's names have very high brow and often beautiful meanings such as Ruth, Sophie, Faith and Hope.

Hel, you may have overlooked Charity as a women's name.

All five are very biblical with Faith, Hope and Charity (or love or compassion) being mentioned together very in:
1 Corinthians 13.13: And now faith, hope, and love abide ...

And also, as Faith, Hope and Charity, reminiscent of the names given to three Gloster Gladiator (string and cloth) fighter planes in the defence of Malta in 1940.

So, a lot going on

Now back to camino planning ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ahh names...Karin is a variant of Catherine...meaning Pure. It just don't say pure what!! ;)

I met a beautiful young woman from Ireland on my first camino named Orla. When I told her I loved her pretty & unique name she told me it wasn't her 'real name' ... " My real name", she said " is Karen and I hate it!" I had to laugh because my 'real name' / given name, is also Karen and I hate it! I go by my Confirmation/chosen name of Sophie. But I do like "Karin" with the 'i'... LOL

Yes, thanks for doing the finger work to find the meaning of ruth. So, ruthfull is an option... As for feck, I just always presumed it was an Irish variation on the other one, but then we have to look at feckless which is quite acceptable. I am far too lazy to check out anything at this moment, so the moment will pass, but I love playing around with words, so thanks for the post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hel, you may have overlooked Charity as a women's name.

And also, as Faith, Hope and Charity, reminiscent of the names given to three Gloster Gladiator (string and cloth) fighter planes in the defence of Malta in 1940.

How coincidental that you should mention the Gladiator. I just finished building a model of it a few weeks ago after reading a brief biography of its designer Henry Folland last year. I have been fascinated by the remarkable history of British aircraft innovations and design. I'm slowly working on another in a British plane series that I want to have, the Supermarine Spitfire (the Mk.IXc iteration) after watching a film on its brilliant designer, R.J. Mitchell. Then it will be onto a Lancaster -- maybe the Dam Buster. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Liberty is another serious girls’ name - I’m sure someone could play round with that and make it funny.
Thanks for the original post - it’s the kind of trivia I find interesting.
Thanks to everyone who took it off course and gave me a good laugh.
And to top it all off we find out little things about each other - @kirkie is a lazy old sod (word chosen in the lighthearted spirit of this conversation, not in an attempt to offend) and @davebugg makes model aeroplanes.

The word 'ruthless' crossed my path today in conversation and I wondered afterwards if the opposite would be 'ruth'. Lo and behold, there it was in the dictionary , ruth (n.) compassion for another / sorrow about one's own misdeeds or flaws.

How nice it would be if we could all go around with a bit more ruth. I mention this in a camino forum because it's a word that I've searched for when trying to describe the attributes of pilgrims I've met along the way. It's delightful.

Plus, I know some people named Ruth who embody those attributes! Nice!

I didn't even realize "feck" was a real word when I suggested it. I just derived it as the opposite of "feckless." Who knew.
Of course, as at least four others on this forum will surely agree, the simple, perfect (and blessedly uncommon) female name is "Jill." To help Spanish people pronounce it perfectly, spell it "Xil."

Attachments

• xil.jpg
    xil.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Tom, are you in Santiago now?

Yes, I will be here until the 12th, and working at the office until the 11th. My wife arrives tomorrow, as a tourist. On the 13th we will drive from Santiago to several places before ending up at Madrid. We fly home on a be 21st.

Last edited:
Ruth (less) happens to be my middle name!

Yes, I will be here until the 12th, and working at the office until the 11th. My wife straight bed tomorrow, as a tourist. On the 13th we will drive from Santiago to several places before ending up at Madrid. We fly home on a be 21st.
Enjoy the trip.

the simple, perfect (and blessedly uncommon) female name is "Jill." To help Spanish people pronounce it perfectly, spell it "Xil."

Fantastic, thanks! I’ll remember that. (Love the photo!) In the whole of Europe I get a blank look (or a repeated query several times on the other end of the phone) if I say my name is Jill. So now I say my name is Margaret (my middle name as per my passport) when I have to book somewhere.
Jill

Fantastic, thanks! I’ll remember that. (Love the photo!) In the whole of Europe I get a blank look (or a repeated query several times on the other end of the phone) if I say my name is Jill. So now I say my name is Margaret (my middle name as per my passport) when I have to book somewhere.
Jill
Next time tell them Bill and if they give you trouble when you check in tell them that they messed up.

Unlike @JillGat who prefers her name to be pronounced “the English way”, my youngest loves the Spanish pronunciation of hers: Ella-Rose.

....with regard to names...my forename is Peter...when receiving confirmation, the Saint name I chose was Dominic....so consequently I became Peter Dominic..which co- incidentally(!) is the same name as a successful chain of off-licences ( liquor stores) here in the UK...I still have a quiet smile to myself when I think of the bizarre sense of humour I've had the joy of carrying with me for the past half century...Time to fess up to the church, do you think....or should I just enjoy wallowing in the smugness?

....with regard to names...my forename is Peter...when receiving confirmation, the Saint name I chose was Dominic....so consequently I became Peter Dominic..which co- incidentally(!) is the same name as a successful chain of off-licences ( liquor stores) here in the UK...I still have a quiet smile to myself when I think of the bizarre sense of humour I've had the joy of carrying with me for the past half century...Time to fess up to the church, do you think....or should I just enjoy wallowing in the smugness?
and did you ever see a food chain called Frankie and Bennie?

Looked up feck. Not popular in either New York or Los Angeles.

I never heard the word feck before... at first I thought it was a British version of another expletive..I always remark what useful;)info one learns on this website!
Glad Dave that you were rolling on the Floor.....:):):)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I never heard the word feck before... at first I thought it was a British version of another expletive..I always remark what useful;)info one learns on this website!
Glad Dave that you were rolling on the Floor.....:):):)
No....Feck is the Irish version
Never heard anyone in the UK use it...
Unless they were Irish

and did you ever see a food chain called Frankie and Bennie?
My name is Bridget...
But it's not!!
I'm called Annette but it's not my real name!
Everyone calls me Annette
So maybe it is my name seeing as I've been called Annette all my life!

Confused!
You will be!
So let me explain

When I was christened many years ago, the tradition in Ireland was that each baby was given 2 names.....same as most countries
However back then, we were called ....not by the first given name....but by the second name
So...
My first given name is Bridget and my middle name is Antoinette .....which became Annette

Same thing with my sister....

Don't even ask me about my confirmation name !!

I also had a religious name for a time
But we won't go into that

Still confused??
So has everyone who tried to decipher this all my life!
Especially with official documents
And at work

EG......what's the B for Annette....I thought your name was Annette?!!
So for different jobs...I had different names!

Sometimes I hardly know who I am myself!

Forward 30 years ...
2 lovely daughters
Knew exactly what we would call them

Would I put them through the first name/ second name fiasco??
Not on your nelly
Best wishes
Annette /Bridget/ Antoinette......take your pick!

I walked with Jesus today

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ruth (less) happens to be my middle name!

Hey me too! I dropped it briefly as a child when I read Swallows & Amazons (because pirates are ruthless). Never thought to look up the meaning though. It's great, goes well with my first name which means love.

(Naturally I always behave in a manner which matches my names....:))

@Veteranmember
Like you I walked my CF in stages. When I finally reached Santiago and received my certificate they wrote an interesting version of Ruth. I can't tell you exactly what it was, the certificate is at home and I'm not there at present.

I hope the moderators don't mind, but ...

Supermarine Spitfire (the Mk.IXc iteration) .... Then it will be onto a Lancaster -- maybe the Dam Buster

You may also consider the Hawker Hurricane - the backbone in the Battle of Britain. I suggest that flown by Douglas Bader who had prosthetic legs from about 1932.

For a Lancaster in Operation Chastise (Dam(n) Busters raid on 17 May 1943 I suggest you consider the craft with squadron letter W, Les Munro as pilot.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise and
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Munro

How coincidental that you should mention the Gladiator. I just finished building a model of it a few weeks ago after reading a brief biography of its designer Henry Folland last year. I have been fascinated by the remarkable history of British aircraft innovations and design. I'm slowly working on another in a British plane series that I want to have, the Supermarine Spitfire (the Mk.IXc iteration) after watching a film on its brilliant designer, R.J. Mitchell. Then it will be onto a Lancaster -- maybe the Dam Buster. :)
My father used to fly in a Supermarine Walrus while in the Navy. Also a Mitchell design. The service nickname for this was the "Shagbat" They were catapult launched from Cruisers and Capital ships. Nothing what so ever to do with the Camino but what the heck:-?

@Veteranmember
Like you I walked my CF in stages. When I finally reached Santiago and received my certificate they wrote an interesting version of Ruth. I can't tell you exactly what it was, the certificate is at home and I'm not there at present.
My two certificates for the Ingles and Portuguese have different spellings for my First Name "Marcus" which I am fairly sure is Latin in the first place. I even borrowed my daughters Latin Grammar book to see whether they had declined the noun? I then remembered why I had dumped Latin at school at the first opportunity and learned an easy language like German instead!!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back