• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On Camino again doing first aid

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all, just to let any of you out on Camino know that I am here with my first aid kit. This time I have my citroen Berlingo that I have converted into the smallest camper, tiny but even has a toilet!

Arrived Roncesvalles today and have done some work, a few blisters, foot massage, hot spot covers, relaced footwear to open up the toes section, etc.
Taking a break now but going back in soon, and will hang around until the last come in, who won't be as cheerful and positive as those who arrived earlier, including an unfit (she said so herself) 78 year old non walking woman who has just walked over a mountain!

Met forum member Jeff fromAustralia, who recognised me from my avatar, hi Jeff! Also Philip who had forgotten his passport! So gave him my spare, a gift from JennyH in Sydney, well played Jenny!

Is very busy, had a chat in the pilgrim office in St Jean and they said it was the busiest September they had known.
Couple of nights ago Roncesvalles was full and they had to taxi shuttle some latecomers to further down Camino.
Last night four pilgrims were "rescued" by the bomberos, I asked were they hurt but the hospitelaro said no, they were having a great time but were high up and it was late. So were persuaded to accept the lift.

I will be cruising down the Way, and back, up and down, visiting refugios and occasionally walking upstream in the morning and then back again.
I have first aid kits and a car, and will regularly check my messages, so if you need help at all please do message me and i will try to help if I can.
Or if you just fancy a drink and we are near to each other, would be nice to meet more forum members.
Weather is hot and sunny.

Buen Camino all!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Indeed a good thing and on a stretch where most injuries occur I think. Packs are still too heavy, boots maybe not well broken in, tough stage, Camino stamina not gained yet etc.

Where do you park your mini camper at night, David?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David thank you for having the biggest heart that feels the need and follows it to the Way
You are ever a reminder of common sense about foot care, and every year ( twice?) taking tremendous time and using your own money to gift us all
How / where can we financially support your efforts?
Nanc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, just to let any of you out on Camino know that I am here with my first aid kit. This time I have my citroen Berlingo that I have converted into the smallest camper, tiny but even has a toilet!

Arrived Roncesvalles today and have done some work, a few blisters, foot massage, hot spot covers, relaced footwear to open up the toes section, etc.
Taking a break now but going back in soon, and will hang around until the last come in, who won't be as cheerful and positive as those who arrived earlier, including an unfit (she said so herself) 78 year old non walking woman who has just walked over a mountain!

Met forum member Jeff fromAustralia, who recognised me from my avatar, hi Jeff! Also Philip who had forgotten his passport! So gave him my spare, a gift from JennyH in Sydney, well played Jenny!

Is very busy, had a chat in the pilgrim office in St Jean and they said it was the busiest September they had known.
Couple of nights ago Roncesvalles was full and they had to taxi shuttle some latecomers to further down Camino.
Last night four pilgrims were "rescued" by the bomberos, I asked were they hurt but the hospitelaro said no, they were having a great time but were high up and it was late. So were persuaded to accept the lift.

I will be cruising down the Way, and back, up and down, visiting refugios and occasionally walking upstream in the morning and then back again.
I have first aid kits and a car, and will regularly check my messages, so if you need help at all please do message me and i will try to help if I can.
Or if you just fancy a drink and we are near to each other, would be nice to meet more forum members.

Buen Camino all!!
David.
Thanks for the openhearted and energy full description of your involvement with the health of the pilgrims.
The work on your car sounds awesome and I hope that you are going to have a wonderful time on the Camino :)
There is only one thing that comes into my mind and that is:

Camino Archangel.

Lettinggo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino all!!
Thank you. Where were you yesterday when I needed a helicopter. Though today was far better. Hope to meet you

Buen Camino all!!
I have big blisters on soles of my feet , on the pads. Any advice please? I'm far away in Portugal!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks guys. Is all free, no problems. I park at refugios usually, roncesvalles, larrasuana, punte la reina, apostel, over the bridge. My favourite!!
David,

First of all, thank you for good company in SdC back then.

I will be walking out of Pamplona on Wednesday, if plans are working, and I hope to see you and get some assistance in downing a bottle of red together. Keep a lookout for me.

You do a very unselfish job, David. Impressive. Many pilgrims should leave a prayer for St. David :cool:

Funnily enough the main area I choose is Navarre and Rioja, and they do seem to have some marvellous wines - coincidence?
Hope not :)

I once walked with 3 old Spanish brothers on the VdlP, and they said that you can comfortably drink any Spanish wine, as long as it is Rioja. I have tested. They were right.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Early Autumn on the Camino ... what a golden time it is ... crops harvested and ploughed in readiness for the earth's winter rest, the last of the sunflowers in the fields ... so much in that beautiful landscape to bring joy. May this time be golden and joyous for you David ... with your first aid work and with your connection with pilgrims in this most ancient, magical and sacred place.
I join other Forum members in saying thank you for being there for the pilgrims.
Buen First Aid Camino -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€46,-
David - I had no idea you were the amazing man I met last year! My sister-in-law loved my stories about how incredibly kind and generous you are to all of us! I have pics of you from last year, too! Enjoy!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5111.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5107.JPG
    IMG_5107.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5106.JPG
    IMG_5106.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David - I had no idea you were the amazing man I met last year! My sister-in-law loved my stories about how incredibly kind and generous you are to all of us! I have pics of you from last year, too! Enjoy!!!!

Hi!! Ah, was Walking then! The glorious Meseta. That is brilliant! In 13 years have never had a photo of me doing first aid. Thank you SO much!!!

Last edited:
Oh dear, you are All so kind. So. I am thinking of starting a first aid thing, to encourage those returning addicts to carry extra first aid kit and help others. Now, i know that many of you already do, but to make it more easily recognisable. As my mission comes from the command from Yeshua at the end of the story of the Good Samaritan, "then go, ye, and do likewise", I have chosen Camino Samaritans as the name, although religion has no part in being a member. I would design and produce cloth badges for backpack and shirt, post out my A4 laminated first aid sign in a number of languages, to pin to the backpack, and write a simple practise manual as well as ethics whilst out there. Taking a simple first aid diploma would help. Doesn't teach blisters!! But does heart attack and shock, etc Then maybe, we will eventually have many recognisable Camino Samaritans out there helping others. Does anyone think this could work? Be useful? Just a thought, tentative idea ...

Last edited:
I used my antiseptic cream for the first time this year on a Romanian infected blister.
Meanwhile slightly off-topic, I would love to see a photo of your Berlingo set-up. There are many conversion set-ups out there but none I have seen with a loo! I am soon to do the same with my Berlingo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino all!!
Thank you!

A Camino angel in action! Bless you!

David we are coming into St. Jean beginning of Oct.
Oh dear, you are All so kind. So. I am thinking of starting a first aid thing, to encourage those returning addicts to carry extra first aid kit and help others. Now, i know that many of you already do, but to make it more easily recognisable. As my mission comes from the command from Yeshua at the end of the story of the Good Samaritan, "then go, ye, and do likewise", I have chosen Camino Samaritans as the name, although religion has no part in being a member. I would design and produce cloth badges for backpack and shirt, post out my A4 laminated first aid sign in a number of languages, to pin to the backpack, and write a simple practise manual as well as ethics whilst out there. Taking a simple first aid diploma would help. Doesn't teach blisters!! But does heart attack and shock, etc Then maybe, we will eventually have many recognisable Camino Samaritans out there helping others. Does anyone think this could work? Be useful? Just a thought, tentative idea ...

David, I am of the mind that anyone who walks on the Camino should invest in a basic first aid course! Each of us only knows the time they have available, but many of us spend hours and hours worrying about what shoes, socks, blister prevention, best places to eat, best albergues, best views, and cannot seem to find the time to take a basic first aid course which could save their or someone’s life. Prevention, yes, is important, but first aid basics ...what to do and also as important, what not to do, when an injury occurs should be part of as many Camino walkers as possible. In addition, if you have already taken a course, update...thinking has changed on best practices. While you may only be 10km from a clinic or medical treatment, the time it takes to administer CPR, or appropriate intervention for bleeding could be the difference between life and death.

Last edited:
Hola @David . More heaps of congrats for your great works.
I think Sept is fast overtaking May as the peak pilgrim month. The section between St Jean and Pamplona, is I believe, often prone to overcrowding. All those folk religiously following St Brierley stages. My recommendation - after Pamplona have either a very long day (say thru to Maneru) or a short day & stop at Utega or Muruzabal. One advantage of the short day is you can often hire a bike and ride over to Eunate.'
Keep up the great work David. More cheers from downunder!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love the idea of many of us being equipped and available to do first aid. I will see how I might find a first aid course in my travels. I took courses 50 years ago. What do I know now?

I'm so grateful for your ministry, David.

I used my antiseptic cream for the first time this year on a Romanian infected blister.
Meanwhile slightly off-topic, I would love to see a photo of your Berlingo set-up. There are many conversion set-ups out there but none I have seen with a loo! I am soon to do the same with my Berlingo.

Hi. Sitting drinking tea un larrasuana, waiting for pilgrimsgrims to come in, is 30C.
My camper? Always a compromise! I removed rear seats and pushed passenger seat forward, can still be used, just. Right hand side small chest of drawers with smaller on attached and small stive screwed onto the top. At end by sliding door a 20 litre fresh water container. Left-handmade a narrow short bed from plywood and timber, short because at the same height at the foot end (towards front) is a cardboard box. Inside the box is a porta-potti flushing casette toilet. The mattress is high density foam cut to size. Fold matress back and remove the box (is the box the toilet came in) and, voilà! Toilet. Curtains were really simple, that stretch white plastic wire stuff old ladies hang net curtains on, slide on small split rings, and curtains hook onto them. All works really well, lots of storage and also under the bed. Here some poor photos i just tookView attachment 46524IMG_20180922_152025557_HDR.jpgIMG_20180922_151941283_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180922_151954533.jpgIMG_20180922_171742307_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20180920_185343021_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino all!!
Great to meet a Camino Forum ‘Legend’ in person. Good chatting with you Dave. Thanks for the great work you do. Remember - old sailors never die, they just drift off into the ocean’s sunset. Cooee, Shep (in Larasonna).

Buen Camino all!!
Hi David, what a wonderful job you are doing, helping the pilgrims. Thank you.
My husband and I have reached Azofra and slowly making tracks. God Bless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hooley Dooley MeandIan ! Things were that bad! Now, you have to share the reason why!!!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
It was extremely hot and many ups and downs. By the time we reached Lorca I was shattered. Ian was also finished but according to his daughter, he’s like a machine. When we arrived at Albergue Bodega, I just sat down. The lady came from behind the counter and gave me a glass of cold water.

Hi!! Ah, was Walking then! The glorious Meseta. That is brilliant! In 13 years have never had a photo of me doing first aid. Thank you SO much!!!

David - You are very welcome! You are a Saint in my opinion. You are a perfect example of why The Camino is so special and the people you encounter are nothing short of amazing. You are part of my memory and I'm glad I could share them with you.

Btw, I took the pic in Rabe de las Calzadas.

:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I shared my Omnifix tape with several pilgrims this year who thanked me later for saving their Camino from horrible blisters. And I gave several hydrocolloid plasters to a nurse from Japan who was tending to other pilgrim's blistered feet. I felt that it was much better to give them to someone who truly knew how to use them than to keep them in my backpack.

Buen Camino all!!
David I do believe you are truly amazing! I wish I was there now if only to have a drink and meet you. Thank you for what you do.

...So. I am thinking of starting a first aid thing, to encourage those returning addicts to carry extra first aid kit and help others. Now, i know that many of you already do, but to make it more easily recognisable.
I always carry a medical kit, adjusted to the common problems on the Camino (blisters...) I don't get blisters myself (good shoes/socks, sensible walking, rests, etc.), but it's just nice to be able to help out those who have real problems.

Last edited:
Hi. Sitting drinking tea un larrasuana, waiting for pilgrimsgrims to come in, is 30C.
My camper? Always a compromise! I removed rear seats and pushed passenger seat forward, can still be used, just. Right hand side small chest of drawers with smaller on attached and small stive screwed onto the top. At end by sliding door a 20 litre fresh water container. Left-handmade a narrow short bed from plywood and timber, short because at the same height at the foot end (towards front) is a cardboard box. Inside the box is a porta-potti flushing casette toilet. The mattress is high density foam cut to size. Fold matress back and remove the box (is the box the toilet came in) and, voilà! Toilet. Curtains were really simple, that stretch white plastic wire stuff old ladies hang net curtains on, slide on small split rings, and curtains hook onto them. All works really well, lots of storage and also under the bed. Here some poor photos i just tookView attachment 46524View attachment 46525View attachment 46522
View attachment 46521View attachment 46529View attachment 46530
Brilliant - thank you. I love the chest of drawers!

Hi David ... you're now several days into your first-aid camino ... are there any stories that you could share with us? It would be fantastic to hear more about your work and the pilgrims you've been meeting and helping since the first day or two at Roncesvalles.
Buen First-Aid Camino!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Ok, but am meeting AlexWalker! to share some Rioja later, so tomorrow maybe. Though, two young Australian girls from Melbourne, I know they are women, but girls to me. Bright, cheerful, intelligent, kind, fun, nice people. They arrived Zubiri refugio to find a 79 year old South African woman with a badly swollen arm and a hurt head. She had fallen that morning, day 2. So they intervened, amazed that no one had done before that day but had all walked on by. One girl made a sling out of her scarf. They arranged a taxi to hospital in Pamplona, whilst waiting for x-ray they contacted and sorted her health insurance, contacted relatives and informed them and reassured them, and waited, no food, no evening meal. Was not broken but hospital properly bandaged her, head and arm, and when they were about to organise a taxi their original driver looked in to see if they were still there and opened his night time snack box and gave them some chocolate. They got back to Zubiri at midnight, hungry, exhausted. Gave the scarf as a gift as prettier than a sling, saw her safely in and went to bed. Woke up next day early and carried on.
Those girls? Love them. Now That is what i call Camino Samaritans!!!!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, but am meeting AlexWalker! to share some Rioja later, so tomorrow maybe. Though, two young Australian girls from Melbourne, I know they are women, but girls to me. Bright, cheerful, intelligent, kind, fun, nice people. They arrived Zubiri refugio to find a 79 year old South African woman with a badly swollen arm and a hurt head. She had fallen that morning, day 2. So they intervened, amazed that no one had done before that day but had all walked on by. One girl made a sling out of her scarf. They arranged a taxi to hospital in Pamplona, whilst waiting for x-ray they contacted and sorted her health insurance, contacted relatives and informed them and reassured them, and waited, no food, no evening meal. Was not broken but hospital properly bandaged her, head and arm, and when they were about to organise a taxi their original driver looked in to see if they were still there and opened his night time snack box and gave them some chocolate. They got back to Zubiri at midnight, hungry, exhausted. Gave the scarf as a gift as prettier than a sling, saw her safely in and went to bed. Woke up next day early and carried on.
Those girls? Love them. Now That is what i call Camino Samaritans!!!!

Buen Camino!

Such compassionate girls! I can't understand either no one else stopped to help out that lady.

Thank you for sharing this story David - those girls certainly showed the spirit of the Camino - may their camino be everything wonderful and also for the pilgrim they so selflessly helped.
Buen First-Aid Camino -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Thank you for sharing this story David - those girls certainly showed the spirit of the Camino - may their camino be everything wonderful and also for the pilgrim they so selflessly helped.
Buen First-Aid Camino -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Well said Jenny! May we all be a Camino angel to at least one person along our journey!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back