• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino On Camino Del Norte , Shoes starting to disintegrate.

Del Sur

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte
Hi,
I’m currently on the Camino Del Norte, about two days before Gijion, my shoes are starting to disintegrate, i.e, the material on my inside heel has worn/split and some of the stuffing/padding has fallen out . I’m thinking this willl be a problem in terms of an irritation point causing blister etc , and I’m concerned it will just continue to break down and get worse.
I temporarily repaired by packing with some hikers wool I have with me and taping over with some medical tape I also have, This seemed to be working well, however , walking through some heavy rain yesterday and my shoes getting a thorough socking it all came apart. I’m going to try and repair again with gaffer tape this time, but concerned this won’t hold up for another 400klm.
So feel the only real solution is to head to Gijion or Oviedo and by some new shoes.
To complicate matters I have very wide feet so need extra wide sizes.
Does anyone know of any hiking or shoes shops in either of those cities that might stock wide fitting hiking shoes?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try Decathlon for sturdy equipment at a reasonable price. Look for Calzado deportivo

In Gijion there is a Decathlon sporting goods shop at Plaza Seis de Agosto, 2, 33206 Gijón, Asturias. See more here

and another Decathlon in Oviedo at Calle Uria, 3, 33003 Oviedo, Asturias.
See more here.

Good luck with your shopping and Buen camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What is the most comfortable shoes?
It depends on your foot. There are tons of threads about shoes. I prefer a new balance shoe, trail runners, but some people like boots And there are a lot of other brands of shoes. And we probably should not hijack this person‘s thread. 😊

Hi Luisa and welcome here.
I see this is your first post on this forum.
You will find a wealth of information here about everything related to walking a Camino.

In the upper right corner there is a search function that will help you find threads regarding shoes and how to wear them.

Happy planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It depends on your foot. There are tons of threads about shoes. I prefer a new balance shoe, trail runners, but some people like boots And there are a lot of other brands of shoes. And we probably should not hijack this person‘s thread. 😊
Try Decathlon for sturdy equipment at a reasonable price. Look for Calzado deportivo

In Gijion there is a Decathlon sporting goods shop at Plaza Seis de Agosto, 2, 33206 Gijón, Asturias. See more here

and another Decathlon in Oviedo at Calle Uria, 3, 33003 Oviedo, Asturias.
See more here.

Good luck with your shopping and Buen camino.
Thanks, will give it a try, hoping Decathalon have wide fittings?

I wrote and then deleted a response with reference to sandals. Seeing @trecile's post has me return to what I said: good walking sandals could be the solution. Hold on to the shoes. I got a new pair from the company that made mine, after I got home from the CF. I alerted them to the problem when it happened - the cause of a heel blister. On my return home a little bit of to and fro, and a new pair appeared without a problem, from the makers of the brand.
Good walking sandals might be your best bet at this point. My feet are waterproof... and yours???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wrote and then deleted a response with reference to sandals. Seeing @trecile's post has me return to what I said: good walking sandals could be the solution. Hold on to the shoes. I got a new pair from the company that made mine, after I got home from the CF. I alerted them to the problem when it happened - the cause of a heel blister. On my return home a little bit of to and fro, and a new pair appeared without a problem, from the makers of the brand.
Good walking sandals might be your best bet at this point. My feet are waterproof... and yours???
Thanks Kirkie and others, I’m thinking sandals might be best option at the moment .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Del Sur congratulations on walking the Camino! In spite of everything I hope you are enjoying your pilgrimage! Have you found any difficulties (other than your unfortunate shoe issue that is) finding albergues open or space in them?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me, HANWAG stands alone at the top. Fantastic shoes. The shoe salesman guaranteed that I would not get blisters during the 830 km trek. Of course, I did not believe that because I had hardly practised. But it was true: I walked the entire Camino del Norte and did not have a blister!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, will give it a try, hoping Decathalon have wide fittings?
My fellow pilgrim walked over 2000 kms in a pair of Decathlon boots so please try not to over think the shoe brand etc. My other suggestion would be to wear the new shoes for an hour or so of the route in the morning and also around town in the evenings to break them in as best you can, using the old shoes as long as they last. You should be fine and enjoy the rest of the way. The next stages are very beautiful. Daniel.

Hi Del Sur congratulations on walking the Camino! In spite of everything I hope you are enjoying your pilgrimage! Have you found any difficulties (other than your unfortunate shoe issue that is) finding albergues open or space in them?
Hi MSCT,
It’s a great experience, although their are some tough sections on the DelNorte.
With exception of one city, Deba, I have not had any poroblems finding accommodation, I’ve been using a mixture of Albergues, pensiones and Airbnb in one instance.
Sometimes I look on booking.com and there seems to be not much available, but so far always managed to get something

My fellow pilgrim walked over 2000 kms in a pair of Decathlon boots so please try not to over think the shoe brand etc. My other suggestion would be to wear the new shoes for an hour or so of the route in the morning and also around town in the evenings to break them in as best you can, using the old shoes as long as they last. You should be fine and enjoy the rest of the way. The next stages are very beautiful. Daniel.
I was wondering about the longevity of Decathalon shoes. That good to know

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was wondering about the longevity of Decathalon shoes. That good to know
No worries. Personally I often do too much research into shoes which results in silly headaches I can do without. Hopefully having to wear new shoes doesn't cause you too much grief and the rest of your way is a pleasant experience.

Further to my earlier post, #2. Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Decathlon Gore-tex lined hiking boots.
Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear. They probably would be ok for 3000 km but for safety sake new boots were purchased every 2 years.... Best of all I never had a blister.

Last edited:
Good to know…thanks! Camino luck with finding the shoes you need and enjoy the rest of your pilgrimage! Safe Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Altra Lone Peak 6, one of the few that fit my broad feet, in every other respect they have been great, just the inner fabric around heel has Brocken down very quickly.
Obviously I don't know where you bought them but here in the USA our REI store would immediately credit you with either cash or a new pair if you return them if it was within a year of purchase.
Altra Lone Peak 6, one of the few that fit my broad feet, in every other respect they have been great, just the inner fabric around heel has Brocken down very quickly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Luna sandals or Keen hiking/walking water sandals. Absolute best choice no blisters, no pressure point pain. Never wore shoes on the Norte. Great for wide feet.

Sounds like a lot will depend on what @Del Sur can find in his size! I have used duck/duct also known in the military as 100 mph tape to make many fashion and shoe repairs as well as repairs to equipment which I think that may be the US version of gaffer tape? We try to carry a tiny roll with us camping and also on the Camino.

Sounds like a lot will depend on what @Del Sur can find in his size! I have used duck/duct also known in the military as 100 mph tape to make many fashion and shoe repairs as well as repairs to equipment which I think that may be the US version of gaffer tape? We try to carry a tiny roll with us camping and also on the Camino.
Gaffer/duct tape, it’s an amazing thing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gaffer/duct tape, it’s an amazing thing!
But not the same thing.

It seems each version is taking a leap of faith. I started out with LP 4.5, then currently wearing LP 5 now on CF. I'm also rough on the Achilles heel area and so far I've been able to use two sets of heel liners and compeed for just enough padding elsewhere.

Of course, can't say anything about LP 6 but it seems the older ones appear to take wear much better than new ones, imo.

Hi,
I’m currently on the Camino Del Norte, about two days before Gijion, my shoes are starting to disintegrate, i.e, the material on my inside heel has worn/split and some of the stuffing/padding has fallen out .
I wear a hole in the inside of the back wall (heel) of my shoes regularly. Seems to happen within 20-40km of walking. While initially of concern it has never caused an issue which surprised me. This has been consistent through several different types of shoes including Hokas and Altras and Reeboks.

So it may not be an issue but your concern is totally understandable.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Del Sur, I'm not sure if you are male or female, but as a very wide footed female who just couldn't find a wide enough shoe for my upcoming Camino, can I suggest you try on men's shoes. It's been a total game changer for me and I can finally walk in comfort. Also buying quality insoles, to add cushioning. I hope your shoe problem is solved quickly and have a wonderful rest of your Camino.

I should also add that this has happened in my Lone Peak 6s so same problem but no issues and I’m about 130km in with them so far.

I should also add that this has happened in my Lone Peak 6s so same problem but no issues and I’m about 130km in with them so fast
What concerned me was the amount of padding falling out, I was concerned that this would cause a friction point due to the uneven fabric and exposure to the more coarser inner lining of the shoe, but so far like your experience, it doesn’t seem to be a problem . I still have a long way to go , so we will see, I’m still looking for closed in sandals, maybe Keens as a back up, as I only have Thongs or flip flops as some would call them

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m still looking for closed in sandals, maybe Keens as a back up
I always walk in open toe sandals, as have others that I've met.

I saw these at a Decathlon store, and they are very sturdy. You can choose the Gijón store to see what's available in your size.

Obviously I don't know where you bought them but here in the USA our REI store would immediately credit you with either cash or a new pair if you return them if it was within a year of purchase.
Hi, I just had a very disappointing experience with Altra Timp 3 during training for the Camino. After just 360km the sole has worn through. I complained to Altra after the lugs under the ball of the feet had worn down to about 1.5mm after just 250km approx.. Neither the shop where I bought them in Australia nor Altra came to the party - never again would I buy any Altra shoe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I just had a very disappointing experience with Altra Timp 3 during training for the Camino. After just 360km the sole has worn through. I complained to Altra after the lugs under the ball of the feet had worn down to about 1.5mm after just 250km approx.. Neither the shop where I bought them in Australia nor Altra came to the party - never again would I buy any Altra shoe.
I am sorry that your experience was unsatisfactory. When my own problem appeared, after 500km of practice and actual camino walking, I was in Castilla y Leon. There, each albergue had a single computer with free wifi access. Imagine the luxury! I simply contacted the makers, and said I would be back in touch when I finished my camino. Perhaps you might find a different brand and be alert to their post sale service before settling for them. This does not console you, but looking for the positive note, you have learned a never to be repeated lesson...

There are so many threads in here about shoes/boots/sandals/feet etc that you would be better off just going for what feels right for you. That also goes for the "experts" in outdoor/hiking stores - their goal is to sell you stuff. I've done the outdoor/hiking thing for many years and that includes several caminos. I've walked in comfortable boots, shoes and sandals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Del Sur, I'm not sure if you are male or female, but as a very wide footed female who just couldn't find a wide enough shoe for my upcoming Camino, can I suggest you try on men's shoes. It's been a total game changer for me and I can finally walk in comfort. Also buying quality insoles, to add cushioning. I hope your shoe problem is solved quickly and have a wonderful rest of your Camino.
Further to this...as a wide-footed female with short feet/short toes, I find youth/boys' sizes work really well, and typically are on a wider last that the same-length women's shoes of the same type. North American sizes 4/5/6 for youths can be a good resource...

...as a bonus, they're usually 10-20% less cost for the same "family" of shoes/boots, compared to the women's or men's sizes, and generally made just as well. I guess they assume boys (who these tend to be designed for, if you go by colours, etc.) are hard on their footwear!

Hi all
I walked the CF last August, in a pair of Aku Pilgrim's, they're gortex lined, but do a wide fit, I had a few blisters, but it was over 40 degrees, so it was like walking with your feet in a bag, I'm starting the del norte next Saturday, & have bedded in a pair of Merrell ventilators 2 shoes, but I also have a pair of trekking sandels, which seem great, and allow the feet to breathe, but, as someone else has stated, its a personal choice, I will update on "the way" about how the footwear is going.
Buen camino

Hi,
I’m currently on the Camino Del Norte, about two days before Gijion, my shoes are starting to disintegrate, i.e, the material on my inside heel has worn/split and some of the stuffing/padding has fallen out . I’m thinking this willl be a problem in terms of an irritation point causing blister etc , and I’m concerned it will just continue to break down and get worse.
I temporarily repaired by packing with some hikers wool I have with me and taping over with some medical tape I also have, This seemed to be working well, however , walking through some heavy rain yesterday and my shoes getting a thorough socking it all came apart. I’m going to try and repair again with gaffer tape this time, but concerned this won’t hold up for another 400klm.
So feel the only real solution is to head to Gijion or Oviedo and by some new shoes.
To complicate matters I have very wide feet so need extra wide sizes.
Does anyone know of any hiking or shoes shops in either of those cities that might stock wide fitting hiking shoes?
I also have wide feet and find that Keens regular width has plenty of extra width to accommodate my wide feet. Their footwear also comes in a wide width for those with really wide feet but I have found the wide width too wide for me.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back