• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino On Camino Madrid now

Status
Not open for further replies.

marjude

Time of past OR future Camino
4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
I started my Camino yesterday from Church of Santiago and Saint John the Baptist and you can obtain a credential there. I walked to Fuencarral in on and off rain. I used the Buen Camino App to find my way which made the walk easier through the streets. The walk is along city streets and I caught the metro back to my acc. Yesterday afternoon I went to the Cathedral to get a stamp and thanks to a very helpful security guard I obtained it.

Today I caught the metro back to Fuencarral and started walking from there. Once I saw my first arrow there were plenty to keep me on track. The views all around are beautiful and those mountains up ahead look a bit daunting but Nick ( jungle boy) ahead of me made them seem a bit easier than my imaginings.
I had a laugh this afternoon. I’m staying at the exe Tres Cantos hotel which was the only one I could get being a Saturday night and I walked in and went up to the desk and said I had a booking and his reply was “you have a booking here!!” as if he was surprised and I said “yes I do” so he looked and found it and he took my money and gave a key to a very luxurious room and in I went and there I saw myself in the mirror a 67year old woman with grey hair sticking up and backpack and I did look like something the cat would have dragged in as my mother would have said. No wonder the poor man was surprised that I was staying in this up market hotel looking like that when all his other guests are very well dressed. 😂 I’m going to enjoy my luxury because there won’t be anymore.
Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my Camino yesterday from Church of Santiago and Saint John the Baptist and you can obtain a credential there. I walked to Fuencarral in on and off rain. I used the Buen Camino App to find my way which made the walk easier through the streets. The walk is along city streets and I caught the metro back to my acc. Yesterday afternoon I went to the Cathedral to get a stamp and thanks to a very helpful security guard I obtained it.

Today I caught the metro back to Fuencarral and started walking from there. Once I saw my first arrow there were plenty to keep me on track. The views all around are beautiful and those mountains up ahead look a bit daunting but Nick ( jungle boy) ahead of me made them seem a bit easier than my imaginings.
I had a laugh this afternoon. I’m staying at the exe Tres Cantos hotel which was the only one I could get being a Saturday night and I walked in and went up to the desk and said I had a booking and his reply was “you have a booking here!!” as if he was surprised and I said “yes I do” so he looked and found it and he took my money and gave a key to a very luxurious room and in I went and there I saw myself in the mirror a 67year old woman with grey hair sticking up and backpack and I did look like something the cat would have dragged in as my mother would have said. No wonder the poor man was surprised that I was staying in this up market hotel looking like that when all his other guests are very well dressed. 😂 I’m going to enjoy my luxury because there won’t be anymore.
Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.
Did they give you the pilgrim discount?

Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.
Buen Camino! You're really on your way now. And I agree, it's really encouraging to get jungleboy-Nick's previews of what's ahead. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.
When I check into a hotel looking the same I wish I had an American Express Card just like the commercials.

Thanks Judy. I will start this Camino on April 26th. So, I am interested in your experience. Buen Camino.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Judy, this is how much (or little!) snow was on the southern (sunny) side of the mountains on Tuesday, taken from just outside Manzanares el Real.

We crossed the mountains on Thursday, and after the snowfall on Friday there is much, much more snow on the northern side. I’d be interested in knowing how much snow there is now on the southern side.

Judy, this is how much (or little!) snow was on the southern (sunny) side of the mountains on Tuesday, taken from just outside Manzanares el Real.

View attachment 54539

We crossed the mountains on Thursday, and after the snowfall on Friday there is much, much more snow on the northern side. I’d be interested in knowing how much snow there is now on the southern side.

@jpflavin sent me this PM yesterday from Madrid as he is heading home:

The snow in the mountains around Segovia is incredible. I imagine the Cercedilla to Segovia route is almost impassible.

Judy, take care!!!! Buen camino, Laurie

@jpflavin sent me this PM yesterday from Madrid as he is heading home:

The snow in the mountains around Segovia is incredible. I imagine the Cercedilla to Segovia route is almost impassible.

Oh definitely, there’s a ton of snow on the northern side of the mountains which we can still see behind us while we walk. In Segovia more than one person said to us something like, ‘It didn’t snow all winter and now that we’ve switched to short sleeves, here it is!’ Although apart from some brief sleet yesterday morning, it hasn’t snowed on us since Friday.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Y
Enjoy the storks at the church in Colmenar Viejo!
Yes I saw them flying around and. Oming to their nest Nick while was waiting for mass to finish so I could go and get a stamp.

Did they give you the pilgrim discount?
What for Alan?

View attachment 54539

Nick I have no bearing as to what is north and south here. All I can say is as I walked towards Tres Cantos yesterday and Colmenar Viejo today I could see snow falling behind Colmenar Viejo asbi walked towards it. I will try a post a photo.

Photos of mountain behind Colmenar Viejo.

Attachments

• B05F4F61-7647-4256-ADA3-886868635011.jpeg
    B05F4F61-7647-4256-ADA3-886868635011.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 5C8B56F9-C5CC-4D64-8E38-F11CD454F145.jpeg
    5C8B56F9-C5CC-4D64-8E38-F11CD454F145.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 88
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! That’s a great shot of the city and the snowy mountains! As you can see from my photo, there was practically no snow on those same mountains several days ago.

(P.S. North is the way you’re going, more or less, so you’re seeing the southern side of the mountains ahead of you.)

Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.
Enjoy your walk! I did it last May/June.

View attachment 54539

The ridge on the photo is called Cuerda Larga (CL) The highest point is Cabeza de Hierro Mayor 2381 mts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m in Colmenar Viejo tonight staying in Hostal El Chiscon and it’s raining.
Today was a lovely day for walking all in sunshine and no threatening rain but I could see snow falling behind Colmenar. Once I was away from Tres Cantos and had walked down into an old dried up river bed with a creek flowing through parts of it the wind dropped and it was warm. Then came the crossings 6/7 I lost count after a while. I to had cross the first couple by stepping over on the blocks that had been placed on the edge of the causeway and that was easy enough. Then the next few there was no water over them which was good. Then came the ones where the blocks were higher and wider apart and with my short legs and trying to keep my balance I decided not to chance it and instead I walked through the water it looked shallow enough and I thought it better to have wet feet than fall and all was well my feet came out dry. The thing that I really have noticed on this walk is the amount of bird life, coming from Australia where we have so many birds I was surprised that on my other Caminos I did not hear birds at all except for cookoos and storks and what I thought may have been the Spanish version of a magpie. All in all it was just a lovely walk in the country side and my feet fared better today with no tarmac except in the towns.
Tomorrow Manzanares el Real to stay with Ray and Rosa. You know Rosa even messaged me today asking what foods I didn’t like, how kind is that.
Buen Camino judy.

Photos of the creek crossings

Photos of the creek crossings

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Today was a lovely day for walking all in sunshine and no threatening rain but I could see snow falling behind Colmenar. Once I was away from Tres Cantos and had walked down into an old dried up river bed with a creek flowing through parts of it the wind dropped and it was warm. Then came the crossings 6/7 I lost count after a while. I to had cross the first couple by stepping over on the blocks that had been placed on the edge of the causeway and that was easy enough. Then the next few there was no water over them which was good. Then came the ones where the blocks were higher and wider apart and with my short legs and trying to keep my balance I decided not to chance it and instead I walked through the water it looked shallow enough and I thought it better to have wet feet than fall and all was well my feet came out dry. The thing that I really have noticed on this walk is the amount of bird life, coming from Australia where we have so many birds I was surprised that on my other Caminos I did not hear birds at all except for cookoos and storks and what I thought may have been the Spanish version of a magpie. All in all it was just a lovely walk in the country side and my feet fared better today with no tarmac except in the towns.
Tomorrow Manzanares el Real to stay with Ray and Rosa. You know Rosa even messaged me today asking what foods I didn’t like, how kind is that.
Buen Camino judy.
Say hi to Ray and Rosa from Gitti and Jenny from New Zealand.

I tried to post a photo but my wifi is not strong enough

Buen Camino judy.

Following and loving your posts,Judy. Just a question, since its a short day to Manzanares ,do you have to wait until 5 to be picked up by Rosa or is it feasible to walk to her Albergue?
Heather

Oh definitely, there’s a ton of snow on the northern side of the mountains which we can still see behind us while we walk. In Segovia more than one person said to us something like, ‘It didn’t snow all winter and now that we’ve switched to short sleeves, here it is!’ Although apart from some brief sleet yesterday morning, it hasn’t snowed on us since Friday.

This was taken yesterday, walking out of Fuencarral. Lots of snow, so I’m thinking that it may not be possible to go over the Puente de Fuenfria pass day after tomorrow. Will check on the day.

Attachments

• 18BB9871-E595-4EAC-86AF-4E833C78EB35.jpeg
    18BB9871-E595-4EAC-86AF-4E833C78EB35.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Following and loving your posts,Judy. Just a question, since its a short day to Manzanares ,do you have to wait until 5 to be picked up by Rosa or is it feasible to walk to her Albergue?
Heather

Ray picked us up at 3pm the day we were there last week. They both work but it might depend on the day. Distance-wise you could walk it (it’s about a 20-minute walk from town, they said) but my impression is that they prefer to pick you up, as you need keys for the cabin, need to have the bag rules explained to you etc. In any case, if you have to wait for them, it’ll be worth it - it’s a fabulous experience!

Say hi to Ray and Rosa from Gitti and Jenny from New Zealand.
Hi Gitti, Rosa and Ray where delighted to hear your hi and said to say hi back.
Heather
Hi Heather, I sent her a message when I arrived at about 1pm and she said Ray would be a little while and to go into town and have some lunch and then I just sat in the sun waiting and Nick is right it a lovely friendly home away from home. judy.

Hi, Nick asked if everything was okay and short answer not quite. I’m wearing a brand of boot that I haven’t had before and my toes were hitting the top of the shoe and my toe nails have taken a punishing. One in particular has blistered all around and underneath the nail. Yesterday I made to Mataelpino and decided not to walk any further and get my sell to Sergovia and have it seen to. The blister has burst and I been given antibiotic ointment incase of infection and the big news is I bought a new pair of shoes that don’t impact on my toenails at all. There was 15 to 20 centimetres of snow on the Pass and I don’t think anybody would have walked it. judy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed at Ray and Rosa’s on Monday night and two other ladies arrived and they are both forum members. Sofie from France her forum name is Cozumel and Christine from NZ and her forum name is cross6011 and they are great company. We had a great stay with Ray and Rosa it is not to be missed. The days walk to Manzanares was lovely through country lanes with lots of animals and bird song all the way and the view over Manzanares and the mountains behind the town is beautiful as you walk in. I walked with the ladies yesterday (Tuesday) as far as Mataelpino and they walked all the way to Cercedilla in rain and then it started to snow and they said it was hard walking. We are all together now in Segovia and we will visit La Granja tomorrow morning by bus and then start walking from Segovia tomorrow afternoon. It was great to meet up with them because I expected to be alone.

When I went ahead on the train to Segovia there were 3 other pilgrims and two children on the train all from Australia and we all had lunch together when we arrived, what’s the chances of six Aussies jumping on a train together half way around the world. One of the men said he was also a forum member. Just a bit of chatty news I hope I’m not boring you all, judy.

Attachments

• EBF48907-1829-4011-AE20-AE526908ACBD.jpeg
    EBF48907-1829-4011-AE20-AE526908ACBD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 78EB441D-AE77-4EEA-A6CB-3AB80EF7981C.jpeg
    78EB441D-AE77-4EEA-A6CB-3AB80EF7981C.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 48
I stayed at Ray and Rosa’s on Monday night and two other ladies arrived and they are both forum members. Sofie from France her forum name is Cozumel and Christine from NZ and her forum name is cross6011 and they are great company. We had a great stay with Ray and Rosa it is not to be missed. The days walk to Manzanares was lovely through country lanes with lots of animals and bird song all the way and the view over Manzanares and the mountains behind the town is beautiful as you walk in. I walked with the ladies yesterday (Tuesday) as far as Mataelpino and they walked all the way to Cercedilla in rain and then it started to snow and they said it was hard walking. We are all together now in Segovia and we will visit La Granja tomorrow morning by bus and then start walking from Segovia tomorrow afternoon. It was great to meet up with them because I expected to be alone.

When I went ahead on the train to Segovia there were 3 other pilgrims and two children on the train all from Australia and we all had lunch together when we arrived, what’s the chances of six Aussies jumping on a train together half way around the world. One of the men said he was also a forum member. Just a bit of chatty news I hope I’m not boring you all, judy.
HOW in the world could anyone’s account of the Camino de Madrid be considered boring?! Loving your posts, Judy. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For those who have recently stayed with Ray y Rosa, How long ahead did you contact them to arrange to stay with them? I am walking in the fall and have put their contact information on my phone, but I am unsure as to when would be the best time to get in touch, to have a better chance to be able to stay there. From a photo, their little albergue looks delightful and everything I have read suggests that it is not to be missed.

For those who have recently stayed with Ray y Rosa, How long ahead did you contact them to arrange to stay with them? I am walking in the fall and have put their contact information on my phone, but I am unsure as to when would be the best time to get in touch, to have a better chance to be able to stay there. From a photo, their little albergue looks delightful and everything I have read suggests that it is not to be missed.
Hi Albertagirl, I first emailed them at the end of February and Rosa said to contact her a few days before I was due to arrive, which I did again by email. I messaged (she uses WhatsApp) her again the day I was due to arrive and she told me where to wait and a little map of the area and that is where the others waited but she told me to go into town because Ray was busy for awhile and I had lunch and he pick me up in town. She has it all organized very well, you will have no problems.
Buen Camino judy.

Hi Judy. Am enjoying reading your posts. Hope all goes well with the rest of your journey.

Hi, This morning we had a change of plans and we decided not to go to La Granja.
We walked out of Sergovia in fog and it was very cold. We stopped at Zamarramala for drinks and we were told that 3 pilgrims had walked through earlier. The fog cleared off and it was a lovely day for walking , the sun came out and there were very few clouds. The walk was through farm country lanes with green crops everywhere. We stopped at Valseca to have a rest and the church was open so we had a look inside and Christine had a nice chat with the priest. It’s a nice church not to ornate. We arrived in Los Huertos and I decided to stay here and there is a great Albergue that was opened in 2016, has four beds, is very clean and I’m the only one here. There is a bar in town that opens at five. The other peregrinas are on a shorter time frame than me and needed to go further. I am 2 days ahead now because I caught the train to Sergovia and I have 2 nights booked at Valladolid over Easter so I have to take my time, which is good for my toes. It was mentioned on the forum that there is the small village of Olmedo on a hill to the left before Alcazaren that looks nice but not on the Camino. I thought I could go over there for a night and have a look around. Has anyone stayed there?

Buen Camino judy.

Attachments

• 05115A55-607A-455D-82E7-BBE0A152472E.jpeg
    05115A55-607A-455D-82E7-BBE0A152472E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 60D1DE1E-59A8-4F9F-B5D8-E6BD2605571D.jpeg
    60D1DE1E-59A8-4F9F-B5D8-E6BD2605571D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • D71F04D3-832F-481C-BD9C-5CA4EAA8A526.jpeg
    D71F04D3-832F-481C-BD9C-5CA4EAA8A526.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, This morning we had a change of plans and we decided not to go to La Granja.
We walked out of Sergovia in fog and it was very cold. We stopped at Zamarramala for drinks and we were told that 3 pilgrims had walked through earlier. The fog cleared off and it was a lovely day for walking , the sun came out and there were very few clouds. The walk was through farm country lanes with green crops everywhere. We stopped at Valseca to have a rest and the church was open so we had a look inside and Christine had a nice chat with the priest. It’s a nice church not to ornate. We arrived in Los Huertos and I decided to stay here and there is a great Albergue that was opened in 2016, has four beds, is very clean and I’m the only one here. There is a bar in town that opens at five. The other peregrinas are on a shorter time frame than me and needed to go further. I am 2 days ahead now because I caught the train to Sergovia and I have 2 nights booked at Valladolid over Easter so I have to take my time, which is good for my toes. It was mentioned on the forum that there is the small village of Olmedo on a hill to the left before Alcazaren that looks nice but not on the Camino. I thought I could go over there for a night and have a look around. Has anyone stayed there?

Buen Camino judy.
No haven't stayed at Olmedo.
Lucky the bar is open at Los Huertos.

Hello to all forum members. You can call us the same day because we usually stay at home. But if you want to be calm it is advisable to tell us with a couple of days. There are Pilgrims who reserve with much more time, but It is not necessary
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello to all forum members. You can call us the same day because we usually stay at home. But if you want to be calm it is advisable to tell us with a couple of days. There are Pilgrims who reserve with much more time, but It is not necessary
Buen Camino.
Gracias. Hope to see you next year.

Hi, after a nice warm night in the Los Huertos albergue it was 1 degrees when I left and a beautiful sunny day which made for nice walking through undulating farmland and you could see for kms and all around you. I stopped for lunch at Pinilla Ambroz ( I had food with me) and had a look around there church. The rest of the days walk was much the same as the morning and I arrived in Santa Maria de Real la Nieva with Pepe who I met on the way into town. After a few phone calls we were finally let into a nice Albergue with heating and a small kitchen and Antonio joined us. The restaurant closes at 3pm and doesn’t open again until 8.30 a bit late for me but when your with Spanish pilgrims you go along, the food was very nice. Tomorrow Nava de la Asunción.
Buen Camino judy.

Hi, the walk to Nava de la Asunción was through the pine forest and I thought it was never ending. I can’t say I liked it and I was pleased to reach Nava. I stayed at Hotel Freya Sebastian because I have asthma and a cough. Margarita at the Pasteleria will organize the key for the albergue at the Polideportivo.
Buen Camino judy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The church and cloisters in the church at Nava Santa Maria la Real de Nieva are worth a visit.

Attachments

• F73F246E-06FB-4BD8-B4A9-B2F2BB8D97EE.jpeg
    F73F246E-06FB-4BD8-B4A9-B2F2BB8D97EE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 5D12AC31-CCE6-4F29-BE6C-BB4F4E10F13B.jpeg
    5D12AC31-CCE6-4F29-BE6C-BB4F4E10F13B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 448321D7-3F90-498E-A35D-34ED64F92B60.jpeg
    448321D7-3F90-498E-A35D-34ED64F92B60.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • F817D73B-8461-4832-93DA-325C593149BF.jpeg
    F817D73B-8461-4832-93DA-325C593149BF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Hi, the walk to Nava de la Asunción was through the pine forest and I thought it was never ending. I can’t say I liked it and I was pleased to reach Nava.

I hope you can find a way to make your peace with the pine forests because there’s a lot more to come over the next few days!

Hi, today’s walk was from Nava de la Asunción and again through some pine forests to Villaguillo. The first 10kms brought me to Coca, I had some good food and juice at Bar la Muralla, very nice. Then I had a quick look at the Castle which was interesting. As I was coming into Coca a lady came out of her house to greet me and give me a stamp, she said her and her husband are the Hospitaleros, I guess for the albergue in Coca. It was then more pine forest to Villeguillo and I was happy to see the village when it came into sight. The bar is on your left when you get into town Enrique and his wife will be there to greet you and you get your stamp and the keys for the albergue from them. Then Enrique who is an excellent cook will cook for you and a word of warning the meals are huge or they were to me, I’m a light eater and I was embarrassed not to be able to eat all his beautiful food. The albergue has a very nice kitchen with everything you need, two full bathrooms and 10 beds. Enrique also sells a good range of things you might need at his bar.
The photos are a yellow arrow leaving Nava and the other are the Castle. I thinks those balls are ammunition, they look awfully heavy.

Attachments

• 2871CE9C-B750-48CF-8487-99D0578F1EFA.jpeg
    2871CE9C-B750-48CF-8487-99D0578F1EFA.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BAB3DDDB-DCC8-49F3-AA37-FCB80C17BAA4.jpeg
    BAB3DDDB-DCC8-49F3-AA37-FCB80C17BAA4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 994CEB66-A06E-4399-9D0D-35B7D1E13BC2.jpeg
    994CEB66-A06E-4399-9D0D-35B7D1E13BC2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 88705D20-9A65-4C8F-93B7-641D111406A9.jpeg
    88705D20-9A65-4C8F-93B7-641D111406A9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino.

Hi, it’s been a few days and I’m still on the Madrid but poor or no service.

Last time wrote I was in Villeguillo and while having dinner there I asked Enrique to organise a taxi for me for the next morning and it was on time and I was going to Alcazaren. On the way the taxi driver pointed out a village as we drove by and said only one person was left living in the village, it was sad to hear. I thought by going to Alcazarén I would have a rest day but on arrival everything was still closed so I just continued walking to Valdestillas. It was an easy walk along country lanes, some woods, pine forest and farm land and as I approached Valdestillas there were dark clouds all around with a storm in front of me and one behind. I made it into town and met Christine again (Sofie had gone ahead) and we caught the afternoon train to Valladolid to stay a night and have a quick look around the next morning. We were lucky enough to catch the procession that night. The next day I’m had a look at the Cathedral which was very nice and the Museum which was very interesting and a beautiful cloister, it’s a town worth a visit. In the afternoon we caught the bus to Simancas and walked up the hill to the old town for lunch. Those walks up hills really do my breathing in, you would think I would be used them by now. The castle with the Archive in it was closed and so we missed seeing inside it. We then walked onto Cigunuela. We found the very nice Albergue and the lady who had the key and settled in waiting for hot water and heating. A nice Albergue with a kitchen that you have to pay extra for. We finally got hot water but no heating.
Buen Camino judy.

Some of the more attractive pine trees
The procession
Inside the Valladolid Cathedral
The Cloisters at the museum.

Attachments

• D64EB0BB-E750-4AA2-AA38-11C6647F0B38.jpeg
    D64EB0BB-E750-4AA2-AA38-11C6647F0B38.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • F510FDB9-1F03-4B57-A4CD-874E1CBEF9CE.jpeg
    F510FDB9-1F03-4B57-A4CD-874E1CBEF9CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 32ADC5BC-84FA-44A4-B74C-E6DE4A3E1EA2.jpeg
    32ADC5BC-84FA-44A4-B74C-E6DE4A3E1EA2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • E443C751-42F2-4C65-A62A-C4A4A38178C6.jpeg
    E443C751-42F2-4C65-A62A-C4A4A38178C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Hi,
Cigunuela to Penaflor de Hornja.
Today’s walk was through farmland again and the walk was nice. Christine walked on ahead to Wamba and as I rounded the corner to walk to the church a tour of the church was starting, great timing. It is a beautiful old church dating back to different periods and a visit should not be missed. We walked onto Penaflor and at the end of the walk there is a steep down hill and an even steeper up hill into town. The albergue is easy to find, there was a pilgrim already waiting so no phone call needed. Christine had decided to walk onto Castromonte and left me sharing with Tuula. The albergue was very nice with 3 rooms of beds. We were also joined by a German man and a Spanish family of three. There is a bar in the main square next to the fruit shop that is very friendly and has really nice food,
Buen Camino, judy
Notice of times for tours the Wamba church.
A very old column in the church
The long road we walked
An old painting on the church wall
Some stone carving.

Attachments

• 2FF50411-4A6B-4145-8153-97CEDD00F6AA.jpeg
    2FF50411-4A6B-4145-8153-97CEDD00F6AA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 1D29349B-5A2B-4C04-A99E-AA1C4CC5BE62.jpeg
    1D29349B-5A2B-4C04-A99E-AA1C4CC5BE62.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 6E80C2C8-F0F6-4947-8552-F75F7DB9DB15.jpeg
    6E80C2C8-F0F6-4947-8552-F75F7DB9DB15.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 16
  • C68D4DEB-CFE2-43BC-B39F-DD9558006101.jpeg
    C68D4DEB-CFE2-43BC-B39F-DD9558006101.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • CC3A0FE5-BF56-4CA0-9523-8CC2E8410A22.jpeg
    CC3A0FE5-BF56-4CA0-9523-8CC2E8410A22.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
I walked to Castromonte today. The walk out of Penaflor was down hill and up hill again and onto flat farmland, it was an easy walk and I was there early because it was only 10kms if I had gone on it would have been 24 kms. I had trouble getting the key, I rang but my Spanish is not good enough and the person on the other end hung up. I went up to the bar and the lady sent me a up the road where I found a couple of locals who wanted to help and the man with the key was found. It was another great albergue a big kitchen, 20 beds and just me. There is a shop that is open of a morning on a back street that a man kindly took me to, it’s quite out of the way. There is no food in the only bar in town and no smiles at the bar either.
Buen Camino
The albergue in Castromonte
Photos of the days walk.

Attachments

• 684EFCB4-7ED7-437E-9A68-2C864D197288.jpeg
    684EFCB4-7ED7-437E-9A68-2C864D197288.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 13
  • D9BF9AB3-1F75-4C76-B5E3-0210DACE6F7F.jpeg
    D9BF9AB3-1F75-4C76-B5E3-0210DACE6F7F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • F50CB116-328E-48FB-BE96-00C68F1BF2E6.jpeg
    F50CB116-328E-48FB-BE96-00C68F1BF2E6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
@marjude
I am following your walk with delight and will copy your posts onto my phone when you finish. It is so useful to know the state of the albergues and whether food is available in a village. I can see that I shall have to carry at least one day's food, or a few energy bars. to be sure not to run out when shops are closed or bars do not sell food. The walk itself looks lovely.

Walking to Medina de Rioseco today.
I woke and started dressing and realized it was only 6.15, oh so what just keep going and leave early. Once again through farmland and down into Valverde de Campos which was a walk of just over 8 kms. The bakers van had just arrived in Valverde as I did and everybody came out for there bread and I was greeted warmly by everyone. One lady asked where I was from and where I had walked from I answered and then I walked on out of town up a path above the road. I looked back and thought I could see another pilgrim coming but she had stayed on the road and where the road came close to the path the lady who had asked the questions in town crossed over and came up to me and told me that she was going to be my companion for the walk to Medina and off we went together. She told me she has walked some Caminos and how much she enjoyed it. I was delivered to the hospitalerio and we said our good byes, it was lovely to have that company as I’d been alone for a couple of days and she was so nice. When I was shown into the Albergue who should be there but Christine having a rest day and great to see a familiar face. Medina is a beautiful old town we were there on Easter Friday. The Easter crowds were out and the churches were open to have a look through. We had a lovely lunch on one of the side streets it was booked out but the kind lady found a place for us. It was a cold day so the afternoon was spent resting. Christine went back up later to see the procession but it was late starting and very cold so she didn’t stay long. It’s a nice Albergue with plenty of beds in 2 rooms and a good kitchen.
Buen Camino judy
The lady who walked to Medina with me the albergue
The street of Medina
Another street view.
Easter breads in a bakery.

Attachments

• 56CA509B-1769-40C1-9C40-E9214E8C6A15.jpeg
    56CA509B-1769-40C1-9C40-E9214E8C6A15.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • DA6AF8AC-D5CC-40AB-AB77-0B0B3C37D497.jpeg
    DA6AF8AC-D5CC-40AB-AB77-0B0B3C37D497.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 112F74DD-B1C3-455B-B111-69B229F988E0.jpeg
    112F74DD-B1C3-455B-B111-69B229F988E0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 292C1983-C372-415F-8EC8-96423EEC987E.jpeg
    292C1983-C372-415F-8EC8-96423EEC987E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • BC7EE3FA-109A-454F-9A11-6D93C4511A0D.jpeg
    BC7EE3FA-109A-454F-9A11-6D93C4511A0D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
Great information and photos, Judy. Thanks so much for taking the time to help those of us following in your footsteps.

Medina to Cuenca de Campos.
The walk out through Medina’s streets in the morning when they were very quiet was nice as you can get to see all the beautiful architectural features that line this towns main streets. We were soon down at the canal and ready for today’s walk. The old flour warehouse is at the beginning of the 8 km canal and it was a nice walk even though it was a bit windy. After the canal it was a short walk to Tamariz where we found a spot out of the wind to eat our lunch. It was another 8 kms to Cuenca and the first couple of kms was along the road and it would have been less had we not missed an arrow but thankfully our Buen Camino app was able to show us if we turned left up the road we were standing at we would meet up with our intended route and that route was straight and very windy for probably 5 kms and the wind was not a gentle wind it was blowing us around. We were tired and sick of the wind so we lay down in the sun and nearly drifted off. The last couple of kms into Cuenca is along the tarred road, hard on the feet at that time of the day and it was getting colder. Once again a huge albergue with 3 rooms of beds and a very good kitchen and bathrooms. It was Sunday and the bar only had a few tapas left so we made do with the food we had carried.
Buen Camino.
The canal and probably an old warehouse. The two story section looked like somebody’s home.
The old flour warehouse.
Ducks at the canal.
Part of an old castle in a Tamariz.
I was down out of the wind.

Attachments

• BD465FDE-5A07-491E-8E7A-1E9A185E914C.jpeg
    BD465FDE-5A07-491E-8E7A-1E9A185E914C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 1244DC34-560F-458D-9F02-B5FA4B8C1533.jpeg
    1244DC34-560F-458D-9F02-B5FA4B8C1533.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 33D52435-84AD-4B13-BA9D-FE4656EFD4BF.jpeg
    33D52435-84AD-4B13-BA9D-FE4656EFD4BF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 4513B0BB-F253-48EA-90AB-7F576CC012B6.jpeg
    4513B0BB-F253-48EA-90AB-7F576CC012B6.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 58A96CEF-A922-4A86-B13C-7B379BF75DB3.jpeg
    58A96CEF-A922-4A86-B13C-7B379BF75DB3.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
LOVE this... cant wait until September when we start! Thank you!

Buen Camino.

Thank you... See you at the end of September I hope!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cuenca to Santervas de Campos.
Todays walk is again a walk through farmland along dirt lanes and into Villalon de Campos for some breakfast at the bar straight in front of you when you walk through the plaza. To the left down the street when looking at the bar you will find a Pasteleria on the left and a small shop opposite. On we walked with another 8 kms to Fontihoyuelo where we found a nice spot next to the church with some seats to have our lunch and lie down on and after resting it was another 8 kms to Santervas. Once again it was great to walk into town and know we were finished walking for the day. We found the albergue and no ringing around although I don’t have to worry about that anymore because Christine has some Spanish and it makes
my life easier, thanks Christine. The hopitalerio was on hand to open the door to this great albergue. The building has been restored very well with great attention to detail. There are two rooms with beds, we had the small room with 4 beds and our own ensuite😀, it could be a bit small if there were 4 in there. There is a larger room with maybe 20 beds and a lovely room with some old details. It is donation now that volunteers are running it and breakfast is included. Depending on who is volunteering you might get a communal dinner. The bar is next door but they had no food when we were there,we had our own.
Buen Camino judy.
Someone maybe able to tell me are these water towers?
Villalon
The long flat roads.

Attachments

• 0EC61903-AC9A-4342-B382-7E3F69B5895F.jpeg
    0EC61903-AC9A-4342-B382-7E3F69B5895F.jpeg
    763.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8B01BEE2-C50C-41F5-8414-27F51CA25DBC.jpeg
    8B01BEE2-C50C-41F5-8414-27F51CA25DBC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • DF9DBA18-B0FD-4486-8580-1264EC626604.jpeg
    DF9DBA18-B0FD-4486-8580-1264EC626604.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Cuenca to Santervas de Campos.
Todays walk is again a walk through farmland along dirt lanes and into Villalon de Campos for some breakfast at the bar straight in front of you when you walk through the plaza. To the left down the street when looking at the bar you will find a Pasteleria on the left and a small shop opposite. On we walked with another 8 kms to Fontihoyuelo where we found a nice spot next to the church with some seats to have our lunch and lie down on and after resting it was another 8 kms to Santervas. Once again it was great to walk into town and know we were finished walking for the day. We found the albergue and no ringing around although I don’t have to worry about that anymore because Christine has some Spanish and it makes
my life easier, thanks Christine. The hopitalerio was on hand to open the door to this great albergue. The building has been restored very well with great attention to detail. There are two rooms with beds, we had the small room with 4 beds and our own ensuite😀, it could be a bit small if there were 4 in there. There is a larger room with maybe 20 beds and a lovely room with some old details. It is donation now that volunteers are running it and breakfast is included. Depending on who is volunteering you might get a communal dinner. The bar is next door but they had no food when we were there,we had our own.
Buen Camino judy.
Someone maybe able to tell me are these water towers?
Villalon
The long flat roads.
I am delighted to hear that the albergue at Santervas is open. I had heard that it was closed April 1, and was anticipating a 30 km walk from Villalon to Grajal de Campos.

I am delighted to hear that the albergue at Santervas is open. I had heard that it was closed April 1, and was anticipating a 30 km walk from Villalon to Grajal de Campos.

There was a roster of volunteer hospitaleros on the wall - only a couple of weeks between now and September / October not covered, so it should be fine for when you walk through. Take food, just in case 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
Santervas to Grajal de Campos.
Yesterday was quite warm walking and then in the evening it was very cold and we expected a cold day today and when we walked outside we were pleasantly surprised as it was nice and it wasn’t long before jackets and fleeces were coming off. It was 8 kms to Arenillas de Valderaduey and our guide book says no facilities there but there is a bar as we sat on the seats outside, it was closed. If you keep walking to the edge of town there is a nice little park to sit in to have your lunch. Then on we went and walked along a water way which had running water in it and it was nice to hear the water and birds singing as we walked to Grajal. It’s a picturesque site walking into Grajal with its imposing Military Fortress and church and then you turn a corner and there is an arch to walk through. The albergue is not to be missed in the bottom of the palace with 20 beds and 4 bathrooms of high quality and the kitchen only has a sink and microwave. If you are there early enough you can get a lovely lunch at the bar. When you walk out of the Albergue walk over to the diagonal corner and walk a few metres on and the left corner is a bar and next to that is an outside bar with a dining room inside, that’s the place to eat. We were told we could look around the palace and off we went eager to see how the other half used to live. It must have been very impressive in its day with some beautiful stone carving around doorways and the staircase. Some rooms we darent go into as the timber floors were not in any condition to walk on but we poked our heads in where ever we could so as to miss anything b Then it was a walk to the fortress which is impressive and no way into it, it’s just a shell. The light was not good by this time as it was to cloudy for photos but there were lights around it and so I went back at dusk for some good photos, no lights, no photos.
Buen Camino judy
The arch into town.
The beautiful staircase
That door on the left is down to the Albergue, a private staircase to the palace
The albergue
The albergue from the front.
The military fortress the next morning, no sun that morning, rain.

Attachments

• 9C651EAA-DDA7-41A8-9C99-5DDBB27CC933.jpeg
    9C651EAA-DDA7-41A8-9C99-5DDBB27CC933.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 6C28D99A-00FC-42B7-9427-A5D7076A6A86.jpeg
    6C28D99A-00FC-42B7-9427-A5D7076A6A86.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 1FAA17E7-3F81-44CA-A0ED-B5EBA32C73FD.jpeg
    1FAA17E7-3F81-44CA-A0ED-B5EBA32C73FD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 14775B6E-A002-455C-9AFA-21940A0C91D4.jpeg
    14775B6E-A002-455C-9AFA-21940A0C91D4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 7E169AAE-70FB-4561-A5C9-89A882E6DCC1.jpeg
    7E169AAE-70FB-4561-A5C9-89A882E6DCC1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 8F8FE805-E4EB-4D4F-A2DA-15DFA3599018.jpeg
    8F8FE805-E4EB-4D4F-A2DA-15DFA3599018.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
There was a roster of volunteer hospitaleros on the wall - only a couple of weeks between now and September / October not covered, so it should be fine for when you walk through. Take food, just in case 🙂
I am going through in mid October, so I guess I can't count on it being open. I can see that I shall have to carry food at all times on the Madrid.

Hi,
Its to Sahagun today and its our last day on the Madrid and just 6 kms to go.
We woke to find it had been raining over night and we had our rain gear ready just incase and we were lucky it stayed away but it was cold and got much colder as the day went on. The walk was through farmland again and add some vineyards in for a change. Then we came to the clay and it’s just a nuisance. We made it to Sahagun by 10.30 and a warm bar was just what we wanted. Our walk on the Madrid was over and now decisions to be made.
Buen Camino judy.
I didn’t take any photos today so here are some of the palace.
A door way surrounded by beautiful old tiles.
An old picture of the palace back in the day.
The courtyard
Beautiful stonework above a door

Attachments

• 507CFD42-CF67-4E7C-8456-9B01B0117F69.jpeg
    507CFD42-CF67-4E7C-8456-9B01B0117F69.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 8A6F5901-9A91-459A-8B84-1B22F90A0DA5.jpeg
    8A6F5901-9A91-459A-8B84-1B22F90A0DA5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • EAE42364-2745-4D3C-A5C2-DB66A2B31FC7.jpeg
    EAE42364-2745-4D3C-A5C2-DB66A2B31FC7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 8E58BF09-3A2C-4271-AFE8-5EB52E93F6AC.jpeg
    8E58BF09-3A2C-4271-AFE8-5EB52E93F6AC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, you have received these posts all in the one day as Christine and I caught the train to Leon yesterday and Christine has gone
onto Oviedo to walk the Primitivo and I’m snuggled up against the cold in Leon. I was going to walk onto Santiago but then had second thoughts and felt like going home to rest these injured toes but lying here resting maybe I’ve got my second wind and my thoughts are just walk on and see what happens. Friday morning I will walk on.
Buen Camino to all the walkers who are doing the Madrid Camino, I hope you enjoy it. judy

PS I imagine it would be a hot walk in the warm weather. There is no shade or very little in some stages so take plenty of water.

Hi Albertagirl, there is a roster up in the kitchen showing names of the volunteers so it looks as if they are organised up until Xmas.

Hi Albertagirl, there is a roster up in the kitchen showing names of the volunteers so it looks as if they are organised up until Xmas.
Hi again, when you walk through Ray and Rosa May have the up to date information that you need.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations on finishing the Camino de Madrid! It feels like weeks and weeks ago that we were walking but it’s only been 10 days. I met a Spanish woman on the Great Ocean Road a couple of days ago and told her a bit about it!

Congratulations on finishing the Camino de Madrid! It feels like weeks and weeks ago that we were walking but it’s only been 10 days. I met a Spanish woman on the Great Ocean Road a couple of days ago and told her a bit about it!
Hi Nick, your visiting a beautiful part of OZ have a great trip.

At Ray & Rosa tonight. The place is full. Peregrinos only. Weather is gorgeous. Looks like it’s gonna be even warmer in the next days.

I was at Ray and Rosa's last night and there were a total of four of us. A man and woman from Germany whom I've been walking with today and a gentleman from Spain. This is my fourth Camino and I felt like a novitiate with these extremely seasoned pilgrims. Ray & Rosa’s is not to be missed. They, as has been shared by numerous folks embody the Camino spirit with love, kindness and hospitality in addition to wonderful information. The walk to Cercedilla today was wonderful. Not sure about the 32k walk tomorrow with a very stiff climb for the first 8K and then down into Segovia. Buen Camino mi Amigos.

Hi, you have received these posts all in the one day as Christine and I caught the train to Leon yesterday and Christine has gone
onto Oviedo to walk the Primitivo and I’m snuggled up against the cold in Leon. I was going to walk onto Santiago but then had second thoughts and felt like going home to rest these injured toes but lying here resting maybe I’ve got my second wind and my thoughts are just walk on and see what happens. Friday morning I will walk on.
Buen Camino to all the walkers who are doing the Madrid Camino, I hope you enjoy it. judy

PS I imagine it would be a hot walk in the warm weather. There is no shade or very little in some stages so take plenty of water.

I have just discovered your posts while sitting at the Santiago airport and waiting for my flight. It was such a pleasure meeting you on the trail. Further more, your posts have just allowed me to relive the joys of Camino Madrid.
I arrived at Sahagún on Saturday and took the train to León. This allowed me to experience the León Easter Sunday morning procesión, which was spectacular. From there I proceeded to Ferrol and walked the Camino Inglés over the past 5 days.
I wish you all the best on your travels. Buen Camino, Judy.
Kind regards, Tuula

Buen Camino judy.

Hi, I will be leaving Segovia on Tuesday morning and would like to stay in Los Huertos. You indicated that there is a nice new albegue with 4 beds. I'm not seeing that in any literature. Do you happen to know the name and or phone number? Where do you think I could just show up? Thank you,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just discovered your posts while sitting at the Santiago airport and waiting for my flight. It was such a pleasure meeting you on the trail. Further more, your posts have just allowed me to relive the joys of Camino Madrid.
I arrived at Sahagún on Saturday and took the train to León. This allowed me to experience the León Easter Sunday morning procesión, which was spectacular. From there I proceeded to Ferrol and walked the Camino Inglés over the past 5 days.
Kind regards, Tuula
Hi Tuula, it’s great to hear from you and to know where you are. I wondered where you went after the Madrid camino.
I had a couple of days rest in Leon and I’m now in Rabanal and I will stay on the Frances route.
Christine is on the Primitivo and really enjoying it.
It was great to meet you and all the best for your future travels.
Buen Camino judy

Hi, I will be leaving Segovia on Tuesday morning and would like to stay in Los Huertos. You indicated that there is a nice new albegue with 4 beds. I'm not seeing that in any literature. Do you happen to know the name and or phone number? Where do you think I could just show up? Thank you,
Hi Chito,
Your right I just looked at the guide book and there is nothing about the albergue.
We walked down a little into town and kept walking straight and there was a little area in front of us with maybe a monument and there was a building facing us and a street on the right of the building. We walked up that street and I think we took the first street to the right and on the next right corner a lady came out of the building to do something and she just happened to be the hospitalaria and sent us to the albergue. Which was a left hand turn at that corner and another right and the albergue is the second building from the corner on your left. It has a metal railing along the front of it and a short metal gate. There is a small plaza on your left and a building opposite the plaza with flags flying if you walk past them you’ve gone to far. Turn right before the plaza and flag building. The phone number might be at the front door I can’t remember because we didn’t have to ring. That’s very long winded, I hope it has helped.
I will put a picture up of the albergue. It’s the brown building
The other photo is the building with the flags, turn right before it.

Buen Camino Judy.

Attachments

• A176CACF-2C44-4CF4-87B1-9B381D04668E.jpeg
    A176CACF-2C44-4CF4-87B1-9B381D04668E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • DD13D5A5-1A67-43CC-B95B-61F22985C31E.jpeg
    DD13D5A5-1A67-43CC-B95B-61F22985C31E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
...I can see that I shall have to carry food at all times on the Madrid.
Not at all. I can hardly remember few villages that has no shop or bar/restaurant.
But if they will be opened in time of your visit that's another question.

Hi Joseph I am in Segovia to night and tomorrow I will take the bus to Santa Maria La Real for several reasons. No walking tomorrow. I printed a document before leaving and it mentions the albergue municipal in Los Huertos : ayuntamiento 921 490 576.
I also found it on gronze.com it’s called Alberge Virgin de Las Vegas opened in 2017 and they propose the same telephone number. On the way to Segovia today 1 French couple but they are walking long again tomorrow to Santa Maria. A German lady called Célinia, and 5 Spanish guys. I don’t think you will have a problem because it is only four beds, but try to call tomorrow morning when the ayuntamiento is open.
I hope this helps
Buen camino

Hi Chito,
Your right I just looked at the guide book and there is nothing about the albergue.
We walked down a little into town and kept walking straight and there was a little area in front of us with maybe a monument and there was a building facing us and a street on the right of the building. We walked up that street and I think we took the first street to the right and on the next right corner a lady came out of the building to do something and she just happened to be the hospitalaria and sent us to the albergue. Which was a left hand turn at that corner and another right and the albergue is the second building from the corner on your left. It has a metal railing along the front of it and a short metal gate. There is a small plaza on your left and a building opposite the plaza with flags flying if you walk past them you’ve gone to far. Turn right before the plaza and flag building. The phone number might be at the front door I can’t remember because we didn’t have to ring. That’s very long winded, I hope it has helped.
I will put a picture up of the albergue. It’s the brown building
The other photo is the building with the flags, turn right before it.

Buen Camino Judy.
Thank you Judy. I am actually here this evening and there are yellow arrows when you come into town One Direction is the Camino the other is a yellow arrow with an A that led me directly to the albergue. Fortunately like you the lady came out of nowhere and got me oriented. Also like you I'm the only one in the albergue this evening. Unfortunately the internet is not working there so I'm sitting in the bar. It's a lovely town with lovely people. Thanks again for all your help. Joseph

Hi Joseph I am in Segovia to night and tomorrow I will take the bus to Santa Maria La Real for several reasons. No walking tomorrow. I printed a document before leaving and it mentions the albergue municipal in Los Huertos : ayuntamiento 921 490 576.
I also found it on gronze.com it’s called Alberge Virgin de Las Vegas opened in 2017 and they propose the same telephone number. On the way to Segovia today 1 French couple but they are walking long again tomorrow to Santa Maria. A German lady called Célinia, and 5 Spanish guys. I don’t think you will have a problem because it is only four beds, but try to call tomorrow morning when the ayuntamiento is open.
I hope this helps
Buen camino
Thank you BP. I'm actually here at the albergue a this evening and it worked out very well. It's very modern and clean and I'm the only pilgrim. Buen Camino to you

Kind regards, Tuula

Hi Tuula

It was nice to meet you in Medina del Rioseco and I’m glad to know what you did next. I finished the Camino de Madrid with Judy and then went to Oviedo to start the Primitivo. 5 days in and best (and hardest) Camino day ever over the Hospitales route yesterday in beautiful weather.

All the best
Christine

Hi,
I walked to Castromonte today. The walk out of Penaflor was down hill and up hill again and onto flat farmland, it was an easy walk and I was there early because it was only 10kms if I had gone on it would have been 24 kms. I had trouble getting the key, I rang but my Spanish is not good enough and the person on the other end hung up. I went up to the bar and the lady sent me a up the road where I found a couple of locals who wanted to help and the man with the key was found. It was another great albergue a big kitchen, 20 beds and just me. There is a shop that is open of a morning on a back street that a man kindly took me to, it’s quite out of the way. There is no food in the only bar in town and no smiles at the bar either.
Buen Camino
The albergue in Castromonte
Photos of the days walk.
I was let in to the albergue by a decorator who was busy on the outside , he said the man with the key would come after lunch , he had not come by the next morning & so left the money & locked up . The people in the bar were friendly enough & quite helpful , Buen camino

Thank you Tony for the info. I am tonight in Villeguillo. Alone in the alberghe which is quite modern and clean. The lady at the bar holds the key. Price is 5€ and you get linens and towel. Food at the bar is very good and at a peregrino
price. I was yesterday at Nava el Asunción. 2 alberges. I chose the private one very modern, very clean, no kitchen possibility and I paid 20€ ! I found it outrageous even though I had all the facility for myself.
The walking for the last 2 days has been very easy on sandy paths under pine trees. I had the feeling I was going to the beach but I never found the sea....
Buen Camino to all
Bernard

For Johnny Walker some additions to his guidebook.
In Nava de la asuncion. Rosa at the bakery was pleasant but unhelpful, sent me on a wild goose chase took me a couple hours to actually get to with someone to open the albergue. People are best off using the phone numbers and not using Rosa. The Men Who open the door for me just kind of shook their head. I was fortunate that a stranger happened to know the number.

The bar in valdestillas worked out very well. For 25 euros I had a very nice room with Wi-Fi. The food was good. I was fortunate, however, because I did not have a reservation. It is best for folks to have a reservation.

In cigunuella there is a bar and a restaurant and a tienda. The bar also serves food. The restaurant says you must be there by 1:30 to eat and then they close at 5pm. That may have been just today because folks are wanting to watch the soccer game this afternoon. The bar serves Late in the evening. The albergue has eight bunks and two beds

Hello Joseph
I just completed Camino de Madrid in Sahagún. Regarding the last alberges I was in : Peñaflor, muy bien. Medina de Rio Seco en el conviento: donatiivo and muy limpio, 2 dormitories. Cuenca de Campos muy bien 3 dormitories good restaurant LaTata closed on Monday and Tuesday nights. Santervás de Campos excellent alberge with a couple of hospitaleros very friendly. They provide comida at 2:30 and cena at 8:30. All donativo . A must ! In addition the village has a museum dedicated to Ponce de Leon a local who was part of the second journey of Christopher Columbus and who discovered Carribean islands. Not to be missed either Now, in Sahagún. In 5 minutes I saw many more pilgrims than in the last 12 days..... Buen Camino 👍😀

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Joseph
I just completed Camino de Madrid in Sahagún. Regarding the last alberges I was in : Peñaflor, muy bien. Medina de Rio Seco en el conviento: donatiivo and muy limpio, 2 dormitories. Cuenca de Campos muy bien 3 dormitories good restaurant LaTata closed on Monday and Tuesday nights. Santervás de Campos excellent alberge with a couple of hospitaleros very friendly. They provide comida at 2:30 and cena at 8:30. All donativo . A must ! In addition the village has a museum dedicated to Ponce de Leon a local who was part of the second journey of Christopher Columbus and who discovered Carribean islands. Not to be missed either Now, in Sahagún. In 5 minutes I saw many more pilgrims than in the last 12 days..... Buen Camino 👍😀
Thank you for the recommendations. Much appreciated. Congratulations on completing your Camino. Wishing you well on the next part of your journey wherever that might lead you.
Joseph (

Colmenar Viejo tomorrow.
Buen Camino judy.
Thank you Judy. You brought tears to my eyes as I read this. What a wonderful experience. Due to a foot injury I may have to cancel my 3rd Camino in September. Can you make room for me in your backpack.

Thank you Judy. You brought tears to my eyes as I read this. What a wonderful experience. Due to a foot injury I may have to cancel my 3rd Camino in September. Can you make room for me in your backpack.
Judy walked over 2 years ago, and hasn't been on the forum for almost that long.

(These threads often pop up in the "Similar threads" at the bottom of your screen, so you might want to keep an eye out for the date.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back