• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On choosing an appropriate backpack for your camino

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
21320_540.jpg

I said get a 45 litres backpack, not 450 litres!

Some humour. Enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With a backpack this size, you don't need an abergue. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could carry your own chickens and then boil their eggs each day for breakfast before you began walking.... That is, if all the interior space wasn't already taken up with rocket boosters to take you along the way without actually doing any walking....
Margaret

LOL! Now the question is: water bottle or Camelback?

Seriously, I used a light-but-structured 30-liter Jansport Tree Frog pack on my latest Camino, and I won´t ever use anything else from now on, not even my GoLite. Yeah, its small. But having less volume means you cut way down on the temptation to overpack, because you CAN´T overpack! It held everything I needed, hung close on every curve, and is showing no sign of wear, even.

There´s a reason why so many veteran hikers carry so little weight and wear such little packs.

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Reb -

I've heard stories from other pilgrims about carrying such small packs and I always wonder where their sleeping bags are.

I would love to get down to that size pack, but in May, need to take a sleeping bag. Did you manage without a sleeping bag, or did you have a liner, or nothing, or was your sleeping bag outside your pack? I think I could do it in summer, but since I never walk a camino in summer, never going to happen. Dying to know your secret and those of others who appear not to be carrying sleeping bags in spring!

Thanks!

lynne

I carried a small sleeping bag the first half of the camino (a 40F that squishes down really small), then traded it in for a liner halfway. Both fit just fine in the bottom of the bag, with clothing rolled up on top that, towel in its own outer pocket, etc. I think the key was rolling up things and compartmentalizing them, just fitting everything in around everything else. I clipped my sandals and jacket to the outside of the pack with a carabiner when I wasn´t using them. Three shirts, two pairs of pants, three sox, a poncho, sleep sack, bandana, hat, towel, toiletries, maps and diary. Other small & needful things went into a small pouch/handbag worn out front. It worked just fine, and as time went on and I shed more and more stuff I had room to spare.

Reb.

Oh, well done Reb! I am also a fan of tight rolling, and this time I'm attempting a major cut even though I'm pretty minimal already... Here's hoping!
Thanks for the tip!!

lynne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the laugh.

Tight rolling of clothes does help.
If you are untidy like me, it also helps to completely empty your pack every few days and repack.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back