• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On doing your research and buying proper equipment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most of my hikes prior to the Camino were also day hikes or weekend hikes but when I was buying new boots for the Camino I was lucky enough to meet a very knowledgeable lady in the local outdoor shop who fitted me out with slightly larger and wider boots than I would have chosen, she also advised me to double sock to prevent blisters, and it worked, not a single one for the entire way. BTW my feet were at least a half to one size bigger when I returned and my regular shoes didn't fit properly for nearly two years after I finished the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most of us have one foot slightly larger than the other. (The same number, coincidentally, have one foot smaller than the other.)

After years of experimentation I wear a fractionally thicker liner sock on my left foot.

Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than first thing in the morning. You’ve had your weight on them all day ...

I can't recall Dave’s comprehensive treatment of the subject (probably because after 50 years serious hill walking and a spell as an army officer, I think I know enough about it). In reality, you’re never too old to learn.

Last edited:
I still find it surprising that so many people choose to set off on a long Camino as their first experience of a multi-day walk. No "test drives" at home to identify potential problems and resolve them? The other thing which strikes me from the article is how long the writer chose to endure and indeed exacerbate the results of a poor decision regarding her footwear rather than remedy the situation. That may simply be a result of inexperience or perhaps there is an element of pride involved - not wishing to acknowledge an error of judgment? Whatever the reason the story shows that it is a very costly way to learn a lesson.

I came across this article this morning on FB, posted on the Ireland Way page. Worth a read IMO especially if you are in the planning stages of your Camino.

Try this: Go to a local budget shoe store and purchase the cheapest outdoor shoe only one size bigger than normal. Wear them for a week. For some reason we tend to wear shoes that are a bit too snug. I think we dont want to admit we have big feet. In my case I thought I was a 9 but I'm really a 10. Your feet are better indicators of size than any size tool or expert.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As I take a 12 or 13 depending on the manufacturer not admitting I have big feet would be a bit of a stretch. :):). I agree with Bradypus, I think inexperience is a big factor, in 2012 I gave away nearly all of my first aid kit both plasters and dehydration salts, to people who had only bought their entire kit the week before they departed, and in several cases this was after they had watched The Way and decided on the spur of the moment to just do it. A bit of planning, training and test driving is a must IMO.

Try this: Go to a local budget shoe store and purchase the cheapest outdoor shoe only one size bigger than normal. Wear them for a week. For some reason we tend to wear shoes that are a bit too snug. I think we dont want to admit we have big feet. In my case I thought I was a 9 but I'm really a 10. Your feet are better indicators of size than any size tool or expert.
FYI there are lots of people like me that buy everything a little to a lot too big as we hate anything tight on our bodies, especially our feet. I buy a size bigger for my caminos and have had 5 blisters in 4,300K. I attribute this to two things, bigger shoes and blind luck.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back