• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"On foot"?

gillonie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013) retired hurt
Camino Frances (2014)
I was at a bike sportive yesterday when I spotted this pedocycle. If I redid the Camino on this would I be "on foot" or "on a bike"? Has anyone seen one of these?

Attachments

• IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
:)I don't know but I'll bet your back would be really sore at the end of each day! I don't know how that thing would work going up, down or over over some of the rocky sections.

On a stretcher? :)

I don't fancy 800km like that, especially uphill!

I saw a guy on a unicycle on the way home from work the other day. Going downhill, no brakes! Braver man than me!
Actually they do have brakes. You just pedal backwards! I met a guy going UP the road to Cruz de Ferro while I was walking DOWN. He had come all the way from Molinaseca and was planning to go back DOWN!

Actually I was on a bike tour in Amish country (that would be an area in Pennsylvania) not too long ago and I saw some interesting bikes. No pedals, they looked like oversize foot scooters. But they were much more upright.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As motive power to go forward is provided by pushing some sort of pedal that causes a wheel to spin at a mechanical advantage, I would rule that you are on a form of a bicycle. This would apply to a unicycle as well.

In fact, while I was at Santiago in June, serving as a volunteer Amigo at the Pilgrim Office, I even saw a couple of pilgrims arrive on battery-powered, electronically boosted bicycles. These people arrived by "bicycle."

The reason is simple. Most people who have never ridden one of these machines do not know that the electronically powered torque "boost" cannot occur unless one is manually cranking the pedals at significant speed. On every model of which I am aware, or have ridden, it is simply not possible to ride the battery-assisted bicycle using the electric motor alone - like a lightweight electric motor scooter or motorcycle. So, you must pedal the bicycle to Santiago, albeit with a battery boost at times. Also, consider that these bicycles are very heavy (25 - 30 kg) and are not trail-friendly. So, I suggest that someone "doing the Camino" on a battery-assisted bicycle would necessarily have to remain on paved surfaces. Still, it might make for a leisurely paced Camino via bicycle.

To use wheels, and still be considered walking, you would need to be in, on, or wearing a device that was powered primarily by your feet, WITHOUT a mechanical or motorized assist. Examples include, but are not limited to: pogo sticks, inline roller skates, scooters, skate boards, and wheeled chairs. However, with the exception of a ruggedized, mountain-bike-like wheelchair, most of these options will likely just put you in the hospital with one or more broken bits.

This stated, has anyone ever heard of someone using the secondary or tertiary roads that parallel the Camino to "do the Camino" on roller skates? The premise is fascinating. I am just wondering aloud?

Nothing surprises me anymore...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On every model of which I am aware, or have ridden, it is simply not possible to ride the battery-assisted bicycle using the electric motor alone - like a lightweight electric motor scooter or motorcycle. So, you must pedal the bicycle to Santiago, albeit with a battery boost at times. Also, consider that these bicycles are very heavy (25 - 30 kg) and are not trail-friendly. So, I suggest that someone "doing the Camino" on a battery-assisted bicycle would necessarily have to remain on paved surfaces. Still, it might make for a leisurely paced Camino via bicycle.

Not true, t2andreo, I have a battery assisted bicycle which has three modes - pedalling alone, battery assisted pedalling or battery-powered alone. I have mainly used the latter two of those modes. On battery-powered mode alone I have a safe range of about 15km+ at a speed of around 30km per hour on the flat. If I didn't want to go quite so far and wished to travel faster I can easily maintain a speed of around 35km per hour.
As to pedalling alone, I would not contemplate doing so for as you observe these bicycles are heavy.
But as a fun mode of transport, locally here, it is useful and fun for nipping down to the local shop and pub, 3kms away, and smiling evilly as you zoom past mamils (middle-aged men in lycra) on their incredibly expensive racing bikes as they labour up the local hills!

As to using one on the Camino - forget it!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not true, t2andreo, I have a battery assisted bicycle which has three modes - pedalling alone, battery assisted pedalling or battery-powered alone. I have mainly used the latter two of those modes. On battery-powered mode alone I have a safe range of about 15km+ at a speed of around 30km per hour on the flat. If I didn't want to go quite so far and wished to travel faster I can easily maintain a speed of around 35km per hour.
As to pedalling alone, I would not contemplate doing so for as you observe these bicycles are heavy.
But as a fun mode of transport, locally here, it is useful and fun for nipping down to the local shop and pub, 3kms away, and smiling evilly as you zoom past mamils (middle-aged men in lycra) on their incredibly expensive racing bikes as they labour up the local hills!

As to using one on the Camino - forget it!

I stand corrected. When I wrote my post, I felt certain that someone from the bicycle savvy countries of the world would catch me up.

However, we likely agree that riding into Santiago on a device that requires NO manual effort (as in pedaling) or pushing is riding a motorized contrivance and would not be considered "legal" in the pilgrimage sense. But, riding a device that requires manual effort to move forward, even if partially mechanically assisted, would likely be ruled "in bounds" provided that, the device could never be ridden on electric or other motive power not requiring manual effort.

Obviously, only the Pilgrim Office can make the final determination. But my sense is that they would rule a battery-assisted pedaling-required at all times bicycle "legal," while running "out of bounds" any bicycle-like or scooter-like device that could be ridden solely on stored motive power, electricity (battery), petroleum or other liquid fuel, etc.

I was initially wrong. I was simply ignorant of all the options available on the market. But we both fundamentally agree. That said, I feel we can all agree that these devices likely have no place on the Camino proper as they are either too heavy, or simply not up to the ruggedness required.

The "Elliptigo" device quoted above behaves much in the same way as a regular bicycle. However instead of having a round crank with two opposed pedals providing power through gears and a chain or driveshaft, it uses the up and down motion of an elliptical trainer or stair-step machine to move the wheels.

My opinion would be that this is simply another form of bicycle and would likely be treated as such by the pilgrim office. You could make a simple argument that says pedaling up and down is fundamentally no different than pedaling round and round. However, the rest of the bike appears far better suited for a road trip than a Camino over-land.

Thank you for the correction.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Somewhere I have a photo of a pilgrim (with backpack) on a unicycle. I took it a few years ago. He was a tall, incredibly strong looking young Scandinavian who had unicycled all the way from Paris (I think - memory query). The photo was taken on the way out of Estella.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back