• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On Horseback

Peter 2018

Hi Forum,

May I ask if anyone has any experience, or do you know of someone who has, travelling the Camino in France / Spain or any of the Pilgrim / GR routes in France on horseback?
Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Some information from my book YOUR CAMINO on foot, bicycle or horseback in France and Spain

Guides
The Way of St James on Horseback
This guide contains everything riders need to know to ride the Camino Frances from France to Santiago. It includes a description of the road, highlighting its potential difficulties, existing facilities for the horses on the Camino Frances, maps with icons that indicate the most suitable lodgings, list of blacksmiths, veterinaries and equestrian centres in every province the road runs through and much more.
http://www.elCaminoacaballo.com or http://www.csj.org.uk

Books
Riding the Milky Way. Babette Gallard and Paul Chinn made the pilgrimage from Le Puy en Velay in France in 2005. Babette’s book is a must-read for anybody planning a journey of their own.

Spanish Pilgrimage: A Canter to St James. Robin Hanbury-Tenison and his wife Louella made the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain in the traditional way – riding on white horses over long-forgotten tracks. Their adventures are vividly and entertainingly recounted in this delightful and highly readable book.

Horseshoes and Holy Water: On the Hoof from Canterbury to Santiago de Compostela. The lure of a long-distance ride leads Mefo Phillips to team up with her sister Susie and their spotted Appaloosa horses – Leo, a flirt with a passion for Mars Bars, and affectionate, gluttonous Apollo – for a pilgrimage down the medievel Way of St James from Canterbury to Spain.

Pilgrim diary
http://www.santiago-compostela.net/cont ... eback.html

Advice for entering the city on horseback
Pilgrims planning to enter the city on horseback should notify the local police (tel: 092) several days before their arrival. The police will be able to tell you the compulsory route and stipulated times, and give you an access permit so that you can enter as far as Plaza del Obradoiro and stay for a short time in front of the cathedral. Immediately thereafter, the horses should be taken to their pre-arranged stables or accommodation.
Pilgrim Office: 981 56 24 19
Civil Defence (Santiago): 981 57 50 00
Local police: 092

The Confraternity of St James in the UK can put you in touch with members who have recently made the pilgrimage on horseback: http://www.csj.org.uk

I met a horse who liked it so much he was doing it a second time. The guy on the horse explained that the horse had gone the year before with it's owner. When he started thinking about it, the owner said "take my horse---he loved that trip.

Apparently the horse remembered the route quite well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back