• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On my countdown .. a few things that are preying on my mind.

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
My first Camino (Frances) is fast approaching and I have 14 weeks till I fly out 29/4. So my current priorities are to ideally lose 14 kilos from 90 to 76 with the help of sensible diet, no red wine or cheese for a while and walking daily 2 to 3 hours with a good coffee as a reward! And a longer walk at weekend. The shock of carrying a full backpack around 9 kilos induced me to cut back what I intended to bring with me and with lighter weight substitutions and have reduced backpack to 8 kilos. But the strain on my knees of actually carrying 8 kilos was painful and scary so have decided to get fit first, lose the equivalent weight of my backpack and then carry it. So mentally that feels good. Have also prebooked into Orisson for 1st May too. I suppose the things that prey on my mind are the usual ones - blisters, bed bugs and being caught short with need to go to the toilet whilst on the Camino!! Fortunately I speak Spanish so that will help. I am looking forward to it, having time reflect and also meeting other forum members along the way.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Jostony! I walked my first Camino to celebrate losing about 67 kilos! Good luck with your efforts, I know how hard losing can be. If you can lose some you will be glad for it. I think your plan for healthy eating, walking and for a slow start sounds good. If you aren't using trekking poles, consider them as they may help reduce impact on your joints. Consider also whether your shoes/socks/insoles provide enough cushion.

As far as blisters, bed bugs and mother nature..... If you follow the best advice on the forum (good shoes, socks, training) and blisters happen, know how to treat them and rest when needed. My view on bed bugs is that they are what they are and worrying about them too much isn't going to make them go away :rolleyes:! As far as mother nature is concerned, you will quickly realize that you should stop and pee whenever possible -- my husband and I called it "taking a prophylactic pee" -- because you don't necessarily know when the next opportunity will come along (and carry TP and plastic baggies!)

Buen Camino,

Liz

Weight: If it's too heavy, lose some things or hire bag transport until you're in better shape.
Bedbugs: Spray the outside of your pack and sleeping bag with permethrin, do a check for bedbugs when you arrive, then don't worry
Toilet: Walk a few steps into the bush and go pee. Do your "other" in the morning before you leave, or wait until you find a bar.
Blisters: Buy shoes that are 1.5 sizes too large, with flexible soles, as many experienced pilgrims suggest, and stop to put on Compeed BEFORE you get a blister, as soon as you feel a hot spot

Just go... don't worry... you'll be fine :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Strengthening your quadriceps (with the right excercise) is one of the smartest things you can do if you know the weight of a backpack will be a strain on your knees. Your knees will be very gratefull really.
Another big plus of gainig muscles: they burn extra calories even when you are resting.

Losing weight sensibly is a combination of 3 things: cardio (walking is ok), diet and gaining muscle. This is the golden trio of losing weight.

Last edited:
Strengthening your quadriceps (with the right excercise) is one of the smartest things you can do if you know the weight of a backpack will be a strain on your knees. Your knees will be very gratefull really.
Another big plus of gainig muscles: they burn extra calories even when you are resting.

Losing weight sensibly is a combination of 3 things: cardio (walking is ok), diet and gaining muscle. This is the golden trio of losing weight.

losing weight by gaining muscle well that's good news!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My first Camino (Frances) is fast approaching and I have 14 weeks till I fly out 29/4. So my current priorities are to ideally lose 14 kilos from 90 to 76 with the help of sensible diet, no red wine or cheese for a while and walking daily 2 to 3 hours with a good coffee as a reward! And a longer walk at weekend. The shock of carrying a full backpack around 9 kilos induced me to cut back what I intended to bring with me and with lighter weight substitutions and have reduced backpack to 8 kilos. But the strain on my knees of actually carrying 8 kilos was painful and scary so have decided to get fit first, lose the equivalent weight of my backpack and then carry it. So mentally that feels good. Have also prebooked into Orisson for 1st May too. I suppose the things that prey on my mind are the usual ones - blisters, bed bugs and being caught short with need to go to the toilet whilst on the Camino!! Fortunately I speak Spanish so that will help. I am looking forward to it, having time reflect and also meeting other forum members along the way.
Let me first fully endorse what Liz wrote, no need to repeat. Three month before starting my camino, I gave myself the target to loose the equivalent of the backpack weight and in fact managed an even higher reduction of 10 Kg. (No alcohol, cutting food qty (meat!) to half-portions and limiting to a late breakfast and an early dinner, skipping lunch...AND lots of fruit and vegetables. On the camino, I actually gained 2 kg again, but then I love Spanish wine.
It was very awkward to follow nature's calls behind the bushes the first time, but you get used very fast. (Just take along small plastic bags to carry and dispose of the Paper ecologically, PLEASE, the rest decomposes organically) Don't worry about it.
Last, consider why you want to start in SJPdP; there is no compelling reason whatsoever to do so, not historic nor traditions....the 25km of steep ascent and descent right at the beginning are very hard on your yet unaccustomed body and many over-ambitious pilgrims had to abandon the camino before it really started. Starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona might be a better choice for you. Whatever you decide, buying a pair of poles right where you start your walk is a good idea.
Buen camino

Hi Jostony! I walked my first Camino to celebrate losing about 67 kilos! Good luck with your efforts, I know how hard losing can be. If you can lose some you will be glad for it. I think your plan for healthy eating, walking and for a slow start sounds good. If you aren't using trekking poles, consider them as they may help reduce impact on your joints. Consider also whether your shoes/socks/insoles provide enough cushion.

As far as blisters, bed bugs and mother nature..... If you follow the best advice on the forum (good shoes, socks, training) and blisters happen, know how to treat them and rest when needed. My view on bed bugs is that they are what they are and worrying about them too much isn't going to make them go away :rolleyes:! As far as mother nature is concerned, you will quickly realize that you should stop and pee whenever possible -- my husband and I called it "taking a prophylactic pee" -- because you don't necessarily know when the next opportunity will come along (and carry TP and plastic baggies!)

Buen Camino,

Liz

Thanks. I will be taking trekking poles as I think my knees will be grateful. Just feels odd to begin with until I get the rhythm. I presume I will need to take a Cathole trowel just in case.
Regards

Let me first fully endorse what Liz wrote, no need to repeat. Three month before starting my camino, I gave myself the target to loose the equivalent of the backpack weight and in fact managed an even higher reduction of 10 Kg. (No alcohol, cutting food qty (meat!) to half-portions and limiting to a late breakfast and an early dinner, skipping lunch...AND lots of fruit and vegetables. On the camino, I actually gained 2 kg again, but then I love Spanish wine.
It was very awkward to follow nature's calls behind the bushes the first time, but you get used very fast. (Just take along small plastic bags to carry and dispose of the Paper ecologically, PLEASE, the rest decomposes organically) Don't worry about it.
Last, consider why you want to start in SJPdP; there is no compelling reason whatsoever to do so, not historic nor traditions....the 25km of steep ascent and descent right at the beginning are very hard on your yet unaccustomed body and many over-ambitious pilgrims had to abandon the camino before it really started. Starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona might be a better choice for you. Whatever you decide, buying a pair of poles right where you start your walk is a good idea.
Buen camino

Thanks for your comments. Will be taking pacer-poles so hopefully this will help too. Committed to start at SJPD. Fortunately I am not restricted by time constraints so will walk at my pace and try not to get excited and walk to far each day. With fabulous red wines and food to enjoy the weight gain will no doubt be a feature but I won't feel guilty - life's too short!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, and don't worry, you will lose weight on the Camino, probably 20 pounds or more if you don't pig out on the fantastic bread and pastries! ::cackle::
Don't think I will be able to resist and will be probably feel too tired to feel guilty to enjoy these simple pleasures!

Weight: If it's too heavy, lose some things or hire bag transport until you're in better shape.
Bedbugs: Spray the outside of your pack and sleeping bag with permethrin, do a check for bedbugs when you arrive, then don't worry
Toilet: Walk a few steps into the bush and go pee. Do your "other" in the morning before you leave, or wait until you find a bar.
Blisters: Buy shoes that are 1.5 sizes too large, with flexible soles, as many experienced pilgrims suggest, and stop to put on Compeed BEFORE you get a blister, as soon as you feel a hot spot

Will stock up on some compeed as I am sure I won't be carrying them for too long!

Buen Camino,

Liz
Thanks for your comments. I will be taking pacer-poles with me which will help - just need to get used to them so feel part of me too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen camino
Like Pano -- I did not lose weight on the camino -- I stayed the same but it took some thought :)! Spanish wine, bread, cheese ..... enough said! I know lots of people report losses, but I think it depends on your metabolism, level of fitness, how much you have to lose when you start, whether you eat out or cook yourself .... I would simply say -- don't plan on losing unless you plan to monitor what you are eating. If it happens and is healthy, great! If not, buen camino, anyway!

Regarding the cathole trowel, I really don't think you need it and it will add weight. Neither my husband nor I had that kind of emergency. Just make sure you take advantage of opportunity (i.e. bars) when you have it!

Will stock up on some compeed as I am sure I won't be carrying them for too long!
There have been some good more recent and many older posts about how to prepare your feet. The advice to treat hot spots early is sound, but if you already know from your training where you are at risk of blistering, it might pay to do some prophylactic taping of those areas. I use either a narrow (25mm) strapping tape, a medical paper tape or a conforming tape like Fixomul. I have always been able to get more in pharmacies along the way, so you don't need massive amounts at the outset. This is the same with Compeed patches. You need enough to treat a couple of blisters at the outset, and then replenish these as you go if you need more.

It is also good to see you are taking walking poles. They work best at taking some of the weight off your lower joints when you apply a reasonable amount of pressure from the time the pole makes contact to the point you bring it forward again. Too much, and you will start to get repetitive strain symptoms in your elbows - that is a sign to use less pressure. You won't really notice if it is too little, you just won't get the benefits. Get over looking dorky when you walk in your neighbourhood, and be prepared for the pole tips to occasionally lose their grip, and the pole to go whizzing back! Before you leave, get a couple of sets of spare rubber tips to replace them as they wear out. It was the one thing that I couldn't find along the way.

You will walk 4-5 hours a day and some (probably many) days even more. You will burn about 350-500 calories an hour, depending on your bodyweight. And one hard days even more an hour.

That means that you will burn almost 2000 cals on an average day just walking. Seeing as a male adult needs about 2500 cals intake to not gain or loose any weight, your calory intake on a camino walking day can be about 4500!! cals a day. 4500! Eventhough i know lots of people dont loose weight on the camino, it riddles me how this is possible when looking at that huge number. o_O

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There have been some good more recent and many older posts about how to prepare your feet. The advice to treat hot spots early is sound, but if you already know from your training where you are at risk of blistering, it might pay to do some prophylactic taping of those areas. I use either a narrow (25mm) strapping tape, a medical paper tape or a conforming tape like Fixomul. I have always been able to get more in pharmacies along the way, so you don't need massive amounts at the outset. This is the same with Compeed patches. You need enough to treat a couple of blisters at the outset, and then replenish these as you go if you need more.

Taping in combination with my injinji toe-socks is the way to go for me. I tried alot of different things, bit found out this works for me.

Be sure to try out different things. Maybe compeed just isnt your thing. Maybe it is. Try and find out what makes your feet, happy feet.

Big negative on compeed: they ruïn your socks. No denying about that.

Thanks for your comments. I will be taking pacer-poles with me which will help - just need to get used to them so feel part of me too.

If you're taking Pacer Poles, you may want to take them apart and put them INSIDE your pack before arriving at albergues.
Many times, they asked me to leave my Pacer poles in an unattended barrel and unfortunately, I know of several times poles were stolen.
I refused, and went to different lodging places. Too much of an expense for me to lose.
I no longer take the pacer poles.
I sold one pair, then bought another, but don't take them on the Camino.

Just stick them away before you arrive and worry less.
Or consider buying a cheap tossaway stick on the route.

... The shock of carrying a full backpack around 9 kilos induced me to cut back what I intended to bring with me and with lighter weight substitutions and have reduced backpack to 8 kilos. But the strain on my knees of actually carrying 8 kilos was painful ...

Post your packing list here and we all will help you to trim it down. You still have a lot of margin for improvement on that front! Buen Camino! SY

If you're taking Pacer Poles, you may want to take them apart and put them INSIDE your pack before arriving at albergues.
Many times, they asked me to leave my Pacer poles in an unattended barrel and unfortunately, I know of several times poles were stolen.
I refused, and went to different lodging places. Too much of an expense for me to lose.
I no longer take the pacer poles.
I sold one pair, then bought another, but don't take them on the Camino.

Just stick them away before you arrive and worry less.
Or consider buying a cheap tossaway stick on the route.

Thanks for helpful advice on Pacer Poles packing away

Many times, they asked me to leave my Pacer poles in an unattended barrel

Annie, do you know if this happens at hostales/casas rurales/hotels as well as at albergues? Do those places also ask people to leave their poles somewhere?

Many Albergues asked pilgrims to leave poles in a barrel or on a rack and not take them to the sleeping area. Its understandable, because the poles tend to fall and roll around and so can be a hazard. We had regular trekking poles and we marked them with orange glow-in-the-dark tape. We never got confused or had a problem. Having said that, the pacer poles are way more expensive and specialized and if lost could not be replaced easily so I think Annie's advice is good! Liz

Blisters, bedbugs and toilet. Yes those are all things I was concerned about too. Re Blisters: I packed what I called my "foot bag" in the top pocket of my pack. It contained Vaseline, socks and liners, and Compeed (later exchanged for tape). I stopped every couple of hours, greased my feet, and changed my liners, pinning the worn ones to the outside of my pack. After my shower in the afternoon, I changed the tape on my toes whenever necessary, and regreased my feet. Luckily I didn't get any blisters but I did take the recommended needle and thread in a small film canister to use if needed. Re Bedbugs: I bought Duration which is 10% permethrin concentrate and it came with a couple of huge plastic bags for soaking clothes. I followed the directions to the letter and soaked everything except my underwear. Yes, I even soaked my pack. Re toilet: It happens and after the first stop or two, you will no longer feel self conscious about leaving the trail. Have paper and plastic bag handy. One additional point. Your commitment to walk 2 or 3 hours daily is admirable and I understand that a loaded pack at this stage might not be the thing, but I don't think you should abandon the pack while losing weight. Perhaps you could wear it empty for a week or two and then just add a kilo at a time, working up to its full weight.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your comments. Will be taking pacer-poles so hopefully this will help too. Committed to start at SJPD. Fortunately I am not restricted by time constraints so will walk at my pace and try not to get excited and walk to far each day. With fabulous red wines and food to enjoy the weight gain will no doubt be a feature but I won't feel guilty - life's too short!
Good for you for wanting to start in SJPP - you will never forget that day, for its view and your physical accomplishment.

You will walk 4-5 hours a day and some (probably many) days even more. You will burn about 350-500 calories an hour, depending on your bodyweight. And one hard days even more an hour.

That means that you will burn almost 2000 cals on an average day just walking. Seeing as a male adult needs about 2500 cals intake to not gain or loose any weight, your calory intake on a camino walking day can be about 4500!! cals a day. 4500! Eventhough i know lots of people dont loose weight on the camino, it riddles me how this is possible when looking at that huge number. o_O
Your math is not quite correct Dutch. We human beings burn, on average, 2000 calories a day on a rugular day. Walking the Camino, with my Weight Watchers pedometer, I figured out I doubled that. So it's about 5 000 calories lost per day. And don't only factor calories burned on the day, but your metabolism being revved up: I kept losing a pound a day for 2 weeks after getting back home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...No alcohol, cutting food qty (meat!) to half-portions and limiting to a late breakfast and an early dinner, skipping lunch...AND lots of fruit and vegetables...... Just take along small plastic bags to carry and dispose of the Paper ecologically, PLEASE, the rest decomposes organically) Don't worry about it.
Pano, I think many would disagree with skipping meal and cutting down on protein. Especially not eating within 30 minutes of waking. Also, careful with the amount of fruit - sugar, little fiber. If endulging in fruit, stick to berries which are lower in sugar. As for paper vs the rest of the waste ... tp also decomposes. I say pick it all up and dispose of it when you can. It's what we do with our dogs's waste after all.

Jostony - I live in South Africa and imported a pair of Pacer Poles - I have seriously dodgy knees and these poles were absolutely fantastic because the hands rest in a natural walking position, great for helping to push uphill and brake downhill - getting used to walking with them took a few weeks of practice at home, but once you get into the rhythm it's fabulous ... good luck

Jostony - I live in South Africa and imported a pair of Pacer Poles - I have seriously dodgy knees and these poles were absolutely fantastic because the hands rest in a natural walking position, great for helping to push uphill and brake downhill - getting used to walking with them took a few weeks of practice at home, but once you get into the rhythm it's fabulous ... good luck

Good to hear that the Pacerpoles work in practice and that my dodgy knees will benefit. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good to hear that the Pacerpoles work in practice and that my dodgy knees will benefit. Thanks
to get into the correct rhythm, watch and re-watch all the video clips they have on their website, from pole length for up, downhills and walking on a flat - I looked very dorky doing laps around the block :) until I perfected, for me, the correct usage

One additional point. Your commitment to walk 2 or 3 hours daily is admirable and I understand that a loaded pack at this stage might not be the thing, but I don't think you should abandon the pack while losing weight. Perhaps you could wear it empty for a week or two and then just add a kilo at a time, working up to its full weight.

jostony, that seems like a piece of very sound advice from cher99840 to me.

Enjoy your preparations and planning.

Buen Camino

Your math is not quite correct Dutch. We human beings burn, on average, 2000 calories a day on a rugular day. Walking the Camino, with my Weight Watchers pedometer, I figured out I doubled that. So it's about 5 000 calories lost per day. And don't only factor calories burned on the day, but your metabolism being revved up: I kept losing a pound a day for 2 weeks after getting back home.

On average i am right. Of course no one is the same, so it is different for each person, depending on weight, fitnesslevel, age ect ect ect.

Women need, on average, a daily basic intake of about 2000 calories to not gain or loose weight. For men this is a bit more, 2500. This is what our body needs in energy each day just doing its thing as nature intended. If your intake exceeds this number, you will gain weight. If your intake is less, you will loose weight. Those are the basics.
Add to your basic daily intake that what you burn extra and you basicly know what your calory intake for the day can be to loose or gain weight. It is that simple.
You say 5000 cals lost daily, i say; your basic intake + what you burn extra = 4500. It is just an average, just as your number is. It isnt the same for anyone.
The 350-500 cals burned per hour is for somebody who hikes with a backpack on an speed of about 3-4 km per hour. If you go faster, if you walk longer, if your really muscular if you have a really heavy backpack, if you go up or down.....this all makes a HUGE difference on calories burned. It might even be as high as 600-800 cals per hour depending on all i just said.

Of course you keep on burning extra calories after you get home. Your fitnesslevel has increased, your muscles have increased and when hou gain muscles, your metabolism will increase by about 8% per 3kg of extra muscle you have gained. And when your metabolism speeds up, your body will have an easier job to turn food into energy. Gaining muscle and an increased metabolism go hand in hand with loosing weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good stuff my man!! A few things I could say: 1) make sure you have a really good backpack. Comfort and good adjustment is key. Also, don't forget that you will have a couple of kilos of snacks and water everyday added to your stuff. This is very important, as you will need the energy as you go and believe me sometimes you won't see any tienda or food/water for 3 or 4 hours; 2) Also, make sure your footwear is optimal... confort, solid... I had some sporty Salomon hiking booties, but with a running last. Some had runing shoes and thought I went a bit overboard. But let me tell you, I was so glad about this choice. Never wet feet, awesome support and super comfy. So terrain is pretty rough. I am a very fit person and a runner, so one could of thought running shoes would do, but I wouldn't change. Important also to keep very tight. I would stop a couple of times to tighten then up. Would stop for lunch, take off shoes and socks. Change socks (all Merino wool socks!! huge difference). Tight them up again. If not tight, rubs and then the blisters. Bring (or buy overthere) some Compeed (nothing but) and some white tape (see picture below). The white tape is often protection before it gets worse. A trick I learned on the Camino. When you feed a bit of heat in a spot, just apply this tape. It will protect against rubbing. It saved me. Change it every day. 3) if you have keen problems, you may want to think about walking poles. I did not use them, but a companion of mine did and helped him - just alternate, because if not you'll have sore shoulders fromt the poles :eek:) All the rest is just adventure and part of the journey. You do have to suffer a bit for it to be all worth while ;o)
Enjoy my friend, this is probably one of the most increduble journey you will embark on!!! If you need anything in terms of answers to questions or hints, don't hesitate!!
Buen Camino y aprende de todas las experiencias que te ofrece el camino.
Dan

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 8.22.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 8.23.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 8.27.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 8.28.24 AM.png

Compeed has never done anything to my socks. I only use them on hotspots/pre-blister stage as to not yank the skin when they fall off.
Thats the first time i am hearing this. Maybe your lucky, maybe you have special socks, but i have yet to meet the first person who doesnt have to pick, pull or scissor out the gum, that compeed can become, out of their sock.

Losing 14Kg is certainly doable in the time you have left and would be of great benefit. About 4 years ago, I lost 60 lbs (over 10 months), threw away the knee braces and started taking 10 mile hikes with friends carrying 27 pounds on my back. Lose the 14, and you won't notice the 8 on your back. After my weight loss, I picked up a 50 pound bag of rice and was shocked to consider that I had been carrying more than this every day for years. Good luck with your weight loss and buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good stuff my man!! A few things I could say: 1) make sure you have a really good backpack. Comfort and good adjustment is key. Also, don't forget that you will have a couple of kilos of snacks and water everyday added to your stuff. This is very important, as you will need the energy as you go and believe me sometimes you won't see any tienda or food/water for 3 or 4 hours; 2) Also, make sure your footwear is optimal... confort, solid... I had some sporty Salomon hiking booties, but with a running last. Some had runing shoes and thought I went a bit overboard. But let me tell you, I was so glad about this choice. Never wet feet, awesome support and super comfy. So terrain is pretty rough. I am a very fit person and a runner, so one could of thought running shoes would do, but I wouldn't change. Important also to keep very tight. I would stop a couple of times to tighten then up. Would stop for lunch, take off shoes and socks. Change socks (all Merino wool socks!! huge difference). Tight them up again. If not tight, rubs and then the blisters. Bring (or buy overthere) some Compeed (nothing but) and some white tape (see picture below). The white tape is often protection before it gets worse. A trick I learned on the Camino. When you feed a bit of heat in a spot, just apply this tape. It will protect against rubbing. It saved me. Change it every day. 3) if you have keen problems, you may want to think about walking poles. I did not use them, but a companion of mine did and helped him - just alternate, because if not you'll have sore shoulders fromt the poles :eek:) All the rest is just adventure and part of the journey. You do have to suffer a bit for it to be all worth while ;o)
Enjoy my friend, this is probably one of the most increduble journey you will embark on!!! If you need anything in terms of answers to questions or hints, don't hesitate!!
Dan

View attachment 15867 View attachment 15868 View attachment 15869 View attachment 15870
Hello Dan. Many thanks for the photos and your helpful and encouraging reply. I am sure the next few weeks will soon disappear and the reality will be with me!

Regarding blisters.....

Never incurred a blister or hot spot ever. My theory, I wore two pairs of socks with boots that were 1/2 size bigger than normal, never laced my boots too tight, so I had wiggle room inside. Re: socks, first pair were non cotton toed socks, similar to what you'd wear running marathons, over that, again non cotton quality hiking socks. I brought Compeed, never needed it, and was glad to give to another pilgrim who had blister issues.

Buen Camino.

Losing 14Kg is certainly doable in the time you have left and would be of great benefit. About 4 years ago, I lost 60 lbs (over 10 months), threw away the knee braces and started taking 10 mile hikes with friends carrying 27 pounds on my back. Lose the 14, and you won't notice the 8 on your back. After my weight loss, I picked up a 50 pound bag of rice and was shocked to consider that I had been carrying more than this every day for years. Good luck with your weight loss and buen camino.

Hello. Thanks for good wishes. I will persevere with my plan to lose the weight now as the payback is huge. You are so right. When you compare what 14 kilos actually looks like it is madness and quite a burden on the heart to carry too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thats the first time i am hearing this. Maybe your lucky, maybe you have special socks, but i have yet to meet the first person who doesnt have to pick, pull or scissor out the gum, that compeed can become, out of their sock.
Sometimes Compeed does that after a long day of walking, but again, a little piece of white tape on top of it, and you protect the compeed!! That white tape is wonder, I tell you :eek:) ... and by the way for those of you who don';t know, never try and remove a Compeed before it revoves itself!!! It is not called Second skin for nothing. You will pull out your skin!! When it's ready, it will remove by itself (can be long) - but with the socks and rubbing, they do tend to roll, stick and try and remove, so the tape on top does a good job.

to get into the correct rhythm, watch and re-watch all the video clips they have on their website, from pole length for up, downhills and walking on a flat - I looked very dorky doing laps around the block :) until I perfected, for me, the correct usage

Will keep watching videos to practice but the lady makes it look so effortless especially without a backpack. If I ask my son he things I look "dorky" with or without poles so I am past caring what people think I look like!

Will keep watching videos to practice but the lady makes it look so effortless especially without a backpack. If I ask my son he things I look "dorky" with or without poles so I am past caring what people think I look like!
You'll look awesome when you get to Santiago ;0) LOL and BTW, many people have poles and never even noticed if they look dorky or not. Everything become pretty much natural on the Camino. But make sure you don't use the poles all day. Alternate...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sorry, Jostony, I think I just posted a blank there. I'm not experienced at this.
I sympathised with your worry about knees. There are people in this world who would love to walk the Camino, and simply can not because of their knees. I'm one of them. I don't know how serious your problem may be in that department, but my solution was to ditch the fantasy of walking, and get a bike. So despite my physical shortcomings in the knee department, I have been able to complete my 2 Caminos that way, very leisurely ones I might add - none of that 100km per day stuff!

Sorry, Jostony, I think I just posted a blank there. I'm not experienced at this.
I sympathised with your worry about knees. There are people in this world who would love to walk the Camino, and simply can not because of their knees. I'm one of them. I don't know how serious your problem may be in that department, but my solution was to ditch the fantasy of walking, and get a bike. So despite my physical shortcomings in the knee department, I have been able to complete my 2 Caminos that way, very leisurely ones I might add - none of that 100km per day stuff!

Thanks for reply. I had a cartliage operation when I was younger and as I have been so unfit and put weight on over the years the right knee always felt delicate but I think with weight loss, getting fit, using poles and pacing myself sensibly I am sure I will get there in my own time. I would rather walk than cycle any day!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for reply. I had a cartliage operation when I was younger and as I have been so unfit and put weight on over the years the right knee always felt delicate but I think with weight loss, getting fit, using poles and pacing myself sensibly I am sure I will get there in my own time. I would rather walk than cycle any day!
Well, I'm with you there ...... if only.
Good luck with your trip, and when you're shaking your head at those "bikers" whizzing past you on the difficult downhill stretches, spare a thought for the likes of me, who could never have participated in the life-changing experience of the Camino, but for a pair of 26" wheels!
I remember being asked if I was a cyclist, and replying that no, I was just an old guy on a bike.

Hi Jostony, I have almost zero cartilage in both knees (grinding noises when walking and crunchy crisp packet racket sounds going up and down stairs) and knee pain is an issue - so before I left I saw a physiotherapist who taught me how to strap my knees to keep the knee cap straight using physio strapping tape - I kept my knees strapped for my entire walk, if strapped properly using good quality tape (purchase from a physio practice) the tape stays in place for 4-6 days (even with showering just pat dry rather than rubbing) - so with my poles, my knees strapped and really watching where I put my feet going down hill, I had almost zero k nee pain. see some images of strapping (the last one with feet in the water, my knees strapped) and a video link on application -
and
... a note, this tape is also great to cut smaller strips off an attach to hot spots or individual toes to avoid getting blisters, sticks like crazy and no sticky residues...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG7769_thumb[1].jpg
    CIMG7769_thumb[1].jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1375.jpg
    DSCN1375.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi Jostony, I have almost zero cartilage in both knees (grinding noises when walking and crunchy crisp packet racket sounds going up and down stairs) and knee pain is an issue - so before I left I saw a physiotherapist who taught me how to strap my knees to keep the knee cap straight using physio strapping tape - I kept my knees strapped for my entire walk, if strapped properly using good quality tape (purchase from a physio practice) the tape stays in place for 4-6 days (even with showering just pat dry rather than rubbing) - so with my poles, my knees strapped and really watching where I put my feet going down hill, I had almost zero k nee pain. see some images of strapping (the last one with feet in the water, my knees strapped) and a video link on application -
and
... a note, this tape is also great to cut smaller strips off an attach to hot spots or individual toes to avoid getting blisters, sticks like crazy and no sticky residues...

Thank you for sharing this with me. I have walked with a "Neo G" open knee support this week and this seems to help provide the reassurance I need but will certainly consult physio to get her input and advice too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why? I have used trekking poles all day and every day on several long distance walks, and haven't noticed any deleterious effects, and many benefits. What am I missing?
I guess it really depends on each - you seem to be a "Pole veteran", but for people that have never used them, alternating is a really good idea. Walking for hours each day with a backpack is not something one does usually, ... and then you add a continuous movement with poles on top of that. I have seen some guys our there that have had bad shoulder pain because of this. I just think it is wise to alternate to get use to it. I'm pretty sure that might come natural to some, just to change up a bit from have poles in hand... But no stress, to each is own and you will see what works for you!! One of my buddies there started with poles, helped him a lot on some sections, then after a while just gave them to someone because they became cumbersome... whatever works :eek:)

There are people in this world who would love to walk the Camino, and simply can not because of their knees. I'm one of them.
.......... spare a thought for the likes of me, who could never have participated in the life-changing experience of the Camino, but for a pair of 26" wheels!
Thank you, @Peregrinopaul, for the gentle reminder that not all cyclists on the Camino are able-bodied enough to also walk it. The next time I am rattled by a Lycra-clad cyclist (as I have been in the past) whizzing past me on the Camino, I will spare a thought, and say a prayer, for you and others like you. I wish you many more Buen Caminos. :)

That's what's so nice about this Forum; we continue to learn our Camino lessons long after the fact.:)

I think your goals are very achievable and you will succeed. I recommend six small meals a day rather than three so you are never hungry. I think they should be protein based. It is best to have protein within half an hour of exercising and within half an hour finishing workout to optimize muscle growth. More muscle, quicker weight loss. But what I really want to say, re knees, is to start leg raises several times a day to build up the muscles around the knees and further protect those knees. You can find knee strengthening videos on you tube. But the primary one is, in a sitting position, legs out straight, bend one as you work on the other, raise each leg off the mat to about six inches, hold for ten seconds, lower to mat. Repeat. This is usually combined with to then turn the foot inwards, raise leg, hold. Repeat. Anyway, you will see from searching knee strengthening exercises. Makes a big difference on the knees to do these isolation knee exercises. Good luck!

I think your goals are very achievable and you will succeed. I recommend six small meals a day rather than three so you are never hungry. I think they should be protein based. It is best to have protein within half an hour of exercising and within half an hour finishing workout to optimize muscle growth. More muscle, quicker weight loss. But what I really want to say, re knees, is to start leg raises several times a day to build up the muscles around the knees and further protect those knees. You can find knee strengthening videos on you tube. But the primary one is, in a sitting position, legs out straight, bend one as you work on the other, raise each leg off the mat to about six inches, hold for ten seconds, lower to mat. Repeat. This is usually combined with to then turn the foot inwards, raise leg, hold. Repeat. Anyway, you will see from searching knee strengthening exercises. Makes a big difference on the knees to do these isolation knee exercises. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. Will incorporate this into my routine going forward. Should I also be doing any warm up exercises before I start walking each day?

Hi planning my first camino prob arriving around 22nd April ...would also like to stay at orisson....have sent email from their web site but no reply as yet.......is it worth giving them a ring......am in no rush to do the camino.....in terms of number of days available to do it......lucky position that I will just take my time and get to santiago whenever.......and would even delay start to fit in with a vacancy at orisson......don't see point in rushing up just to rush back down again......think I should have taken the name of tortoise.....any tips....thanks

Thank you, @Peregrinopaul, for the gentle reminder that not all cyclists on the Camino are able-bodied enough to also walk it. The next time I am rattled by a Lycra-clad cyclist (as I have been in the past) whizzing past me on the Camino, I will spare a thought, and say a prayer, for you and others like you. I wish you many more Buen Caminos. :)

That's what's so nice about this Forum; we continue to learn our Camino lessons long after the fact.:)
I can't help acknowledging your kind response. I must tell you that on my last Camino I was accompanied by my very able bodied, and lycra clad(!) son, who was gracious enough not to make me feel bad waiting for me to get up all those climbs. ......And he treated me to a night at the Parador when we finally arrived in Santiago.
A 'father-son thing' as they say, and very special as you can imagine.
Still felt a twinge of guilt whizzing past (carefully) on the downhills, though!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why? I have used trekking poles all day and every day on several long distance walks, and haven't noticed any deleterious effects, and many benefits. What am I missing?
I was wondering about that, too. I bought mine just before the camino, used them twice on short hikes in the Adirondacks, then used them every day on the camino with no problems. I did appear to have them longer than some people - I guess I was used to long x-c ski poles so automatically went for it - elbows bent at right angle, give or take an inch depending on downhills or uphills. I went through almost two sets of tips as I used them constantly - the sound of people click clacking past you is annoying. At albergues I usually shortened them before entering or putting them in the bins, often "hiding" them beneath the boot shelves or some such place. Since for at least a couple of weeks I really needed them to walk anywhere, or at least one, I wasn't given a hard time when I walked into a place really leaning on them. Staying at Orisson was great, you'll love it, as I thought that was the steepest section, not from there over to Roncevalles. Beware of the stone paths coming down into Zubiri - they gave me horrendous shin splints as I pounded down them too fast to keep up with a friend. And wear your backpack around the house with even a bit of weight in it - it will become second nature to have it on. Perhaps like a turtle might feel??? And re Compeed - I used it to great satisfaction to cover a sore spot on my hip where the seam of my shorts' pocket rubbed underneath my pack's padded waist band. Anyway, you've had lots of great advice here, just get in the best shape you can, take it easy once there, and enjoy yourself. Buen camino, Cherry

You shouldn't find 8-10 kilos too heavy. If you get lower back pain try some standing deep forward bends, and sit ups to strengthen and stretch you back and stomach muscles. Improper footwear can induce back pain. Whatever footwear you choose, make sure you can walk 20 to 25 kms a day in them before you leave. Take note of hot spots and blisters. Problems will show up immediately. Duct tape the trouble spots. Compeed is terrible stuff and it takes the skin off if it doesn't stay on, then you have bigger problems. Mecuricome will dry out raw skin.

Worried about your knees. Start doing Yoga 3+ times a week and tell your teacher what you are doing; Injuries are from bad alignment and lack of stretching often.

I saw people who walked without trouble in every kind of footwear and saw people who had lots of trouble with every kind of footwear except sandals..

I walked with 10-12 kilos and the lighter the better. Drink lots of water as this will help flush out the waste that has built up in your body. I wore Chaco(usa) sandals and had no trouble. I have fairly tough feet and good ankles and knees . Sandals are cool and have fewer abrasion points than shoes and boots.

The Camino is excellent because most of the way you walk on dirt trails. Concrete and asphalt are harder on the feet and knees.

In 2013 I went from St Jean all the way to Muxia. I was attacked many times by Bedbugs. In 2014 I walked 1700 kms and was only attacked a couple of times, mostly in France. I am guessing that there must have been a campaign to reduce their numbers in Spain. The Camino is huge. Forget premethrin it is toxic to humans too. My advice is do not bring bedbugs home with you. They can hitch hike or lay eggs on you pack soooooooo..... Leave your luggage somewhere when you arrive back home like a garden shed or hanging off the fence. All items in you pack must either be immediately washed and or thoroughly inspected. I brought some home I know. The bites are no big deal. They itch and get infected but they are nothing.

Good Luck, Buen Camino

An, a bit forgotten, exercise technique, is also callanetics, really builds up muscles without straining your joints / spine at all. Buen Camino, SY

I guess it really depends on each - you seem to be a "Pole veteran", but for people that have never used them, alternating is a really good idea. Walking for hours each day with a backpack is not something one does usually, ... and then you add a continuous movement with poles on top of that. I have seen some guys our there that have had bad shoulder pain because of this. I just think it is wise to alternate to get use to it. I'm pretty sure that might come natural to some, just to change up a bit from have poles in hand... But no stress, to each is own and you will see what works for you!! One of my buddies there started with poles, helped him a lot on some sections, then after a while just gave them to someone because they became cumbersome... whatever works :eek:)
This sounds like you really don't have a good reason for the advice, or any evidence. 'Some guys' who suddenly find they have shoulder pain because they are carrying a backpack and using poles every day, and choose to blame the poles - that doesn't sound like evidence to me. There are too many new factors at play to isolate one of the changes as causal over the other.

There are known issues with pole use, and a great many internet sources that will help people avoid them. Poles are often ineffective due to poor technique, something that is almost bound to happen if you don't do some preparation with them beforehand - investigate their correct use, and practice that at home before you leave. The grand-daddy of good internet resources on this is Pete's Pole Page, a great resource full of good advice on all aspects of trekking pole use.

There are plenty of other resources, but one that l also find useful is a little pamphlet, now available as a pdf file, from Helinox. I have successfully used their technique for getting into rhythm when helping people who are 'not getting it'. Others might find it helps them use the approach described. Note that this pamphlet makes quite realistic claims about pole benefits - none of the 25-30% reductions in load or effort that I see from time to time here. They simply claim between 5 kg and 8 kg reduction in impact loads depending on whether it is on the level or going downhill. This is consistent with my observations and testing using sprung poles.

It is important to avoid overuse conditions, such as might arise from putting too much pressure on the pole, and getting the equivalent of tennis elbow. BTW, if any joint was going to suffer, it will be the elbow and not the shoulder - unless of course one is using poles like a drum major, and damaging the rotator cuff! The simple answer then is to ease off the pressure, not to abandon the poles and put them in your pack. Also note that the correct use of the pole strap will ensure that you shouldn't get any wrist pain from continually grasping the pole grip. If you find yourself doing this, you are either not putting your hand into the wrist strap the correct way, or not adjusting the strap properly. This is the one area where it appears to me that Pacer poles have a distinct advantage - it is impossible to get the wrist placement wrong. I would observe that you are paying a lot for this singular advantage over spending five or ten minutes learning to put your wrist through a loop the correct way and adjusting a strap.

Whether people choose to use poles or not is clearly personal, but it seems to me that if you are going purchase poles, making some commitment in time to learn how to use them properly is key to turning the cost of poles into an investment.

Last edited:
Jostony, I am so very glad to see these responses, as you can see everyone here is very much helpful! You will find it the same when you walk. The further along you get the softer everyone's heart become. We all worry before our Camino's but the reality of it is slow down when you hurt & kick your feet up. Walk it as though it is no hurry & you will find the miles (KM) just pass by. The only thing that made me hurry was the other folks who became special to me. fitness will help but no matter your fitness level it simply improves. I wish you the best, as it will be one of the finest walks you could ever do.
Keith

Hi planning my first camino prob arriving around 22nd April ...would also like to stay at orisson....have sent email from their web site but no reply as yet.......is it worth giving them a ring......am in no rush to do the camino.....in terms of number of days available to do it......lucky position that I will just take my time and get to santiago whenever.......and would even delay start to fit in with a vacancy at orisson......don't see point in rushing up just to rush back down again......think I should have taken the name of tortoise.....any tips....thanks

When I emailed Orisson from their website it took them a while to reply. Sent my request on 21 Dec and I got a reply confirming availability on 11 Jan. I assumed it was christmas/new Year festivities that was part of delay. Once you confirm your booking they send you a Paypal invoice to pay a deposit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jostony, I am so very glad to see these responses, as you can see everyone here is very much helpful! You will find it the same when you walk. The further along you get the softer everyone's heart become. We all worry before our Camino's but the reality of it is slow down when you hurt & kick your feet up. Walk it as though it is no hurry & you will find the miles (KM) just pass by. The only thing that made me hurry was the other folks who became special to me. fitness will help but no matter your fitness level it simply improves. I wish you the best, as it will be one of the finest walks you could ever do.
Keith
Thank you for your comments, good wishes and sound advice

You shouldn't find 8-10 kilos too heavy. If you get lower back pain try some standing deep forward bends, and sit ups to strengthen and stretch you back and stomach muscles. Improper footwear can induce back pain. Whatever footwear you choose, make sure you can walk 20 to 25 kms a day in them before you leave. Take note of hot spots and blisters. Problems will show up immediately. Duct tape the trouble spots. Compeed is terrible stuff and it takes the skin off if it doesn't stay on, then you have bigger problems. Mecuricome will dry out raw skin.

Worried about your knees. Start doing Yoga 3+ times a week and tell your teacher what you are doing; Injuries are from bad alignment and lack of stretching often.

I saw people who walked without trouble in every kind of footwear and saw people who had lots of trouble with every kind of footwear except sandals..

I walked with 10-12 kilos and the lighter the better. Drink lots of water as this will help flush out the waste that has built up in your body. I wore Chaco(usa) sandals and had no trouble. I have fairly tough feet and good ankles and knees . Sandals are cool and have fewer abrasion points than shoes and boots.

The Camino is excellent because most of the way you walk on dirt trails. Concrete and asphalt are harder on the feet and knees.

In 2013 I went from St Jean all the way to Muxia. I was attacked many times by Bedbugs. In 2014 I walked 1700 kms and was only attacked a couple of times, mostly in France. I am guessing that there must have been a campaign to reduce their numbers in Spain. The Camino is huge. Forget premethrin it is toxic to humans too. My advice is do not bring bedbugs home with you. They can hitch hike or lay eggs on you pack soooooooo..... Leave your luggage somewhere when you arrive back home like a garden shed or hanging off the fence. All items in you pack must either be immediately washed and or thoroughly inspected. I brought some home I know. The bites are no big deal. They itch and get infected but they are nothing.

Good Luck, Buen Camino

Thanks for sharing bed bug experience and advice on blisters

Thanks for sharing bed bug experience and advice on blisters

I also walked for my health and weight loss among other reasons. Your weight loss goal are totally doable. I lost between 20 and thirty pounds on each camino.

So your pack weight is excellent and it shouldn't be a problem when you might need to carry extra water or lunch stuff . May might not be that hot yet. Be disciplined about walking and stay independent of groups. Walk with like minded people so that your Camino isn't a compromise to people who are always taking breaks or sight seeing etc. I said in another post that you have to get to your destination by 2pm or risk not having a bed. Walking 20 kms per day is easy, its a holiday to me. I walked St Jean to Muxia and averaged 35ish kms per day. My biggest days were 55kms. Vezalay to St Jean in 52 days and I stopped for every open cathedral.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your comments, good wishes and sound advice
Thanks Jostony and Keith for your rapid replies.....guess will just have to sit it out a bit longer....and keep fingers crossed.
I learnt a lesson when walking the West Highland Way a few years ago.....we started at Fort William rather than Glasgow and as we got to the top of Glen Nevis Forest a group of what I guess were originally strapping young men came limping and almost crawling down the hill towards us.....my friends and I were horrified and began to wonder what we were letting our selves in for and to doubt that we would even last the day. However we found out later that these men had walked the route over 4 days.....we on the other hand took nine days, had a half day and a day off...so seven and half days walking.....not a blister in sight and we almost skipped through the last day. I would rather totally enjoy the experience and take 50 days than feel I have to do it in 30. Hence my keen desire to stay at Orisson....I hope I hear from them soon.

I said in another post that you have to get to your destination by 2pm or risk not having a bed.

Buen Camino

Lots of people arrive after 2pm and find a bed without any problems, without any reservations what so ever.

Why always these "horror" stories. Its really not that bad. Even the last 100km, where the horror stories go all mental, i have never had a problem finding a bed, not matter the time of day.

I guess its the stories of the unlucky few that tend to stick around and not the experiences of the majority.
The sad thing is, these horror stories are one of the reasons why people leave before the crack of dawn, before you can even buy a cafe con leche anywhere. And they always wake others up with their noise making, packimg bags, trying to find and gather their stuff, shining their lights around.....all due to their fear of not having a bed the next night. LET IT GO, the fear!
People keep saying, you have to enjoy your camino, but how are you able to enjoy anything when this unnecessary fear is telling you how, what, when and where to do.

Do you know what i think the nicest thing you can do is? Just walk, walk, walk and then just stop when feel your done, in whatever town you are, instead of listening to some guidebook that says your at the "end of a stage". What stage? There is no such thing as an end stage. It is all made up.

Oooops....opinions againo_O

..........these horror stories are one of the reasons why people leave before the crack of dawn, before you can even buy a cafe con leche anywhere
Hey ..... just putting in my two cents :) ... I never once left 'before the crack of dawn' to get a jump on available beds at the end of the day. I left early because I am an early riser and I relish being out in the cold, crisp air before the sun comes up. Almost all of my early morning starts were when I was in private accommodation and could leave without disturbing anyone. And I can't count the number of times I lay awake quietly in my albergue dormitorio bunk trying not to go berserk while I waited for other signs of life so I could finally start my day and not feel that I was disturbing others at what some might think is an unreasonable hour.

As for leaving before 'you can even buy a cafe con leche' :eek:, well, I can tell you that after putting in an hour or two of walking, that first cafe con leche, mid-morning, is pure unadulterated bliss. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend that you do. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey ..... just putting in my two cents :) ... I never once left 'before the crack of dawn' to get a jump on available beds at the end of the day. I left early because I am an early riser and I relish being out in the cold, crisp air before the sun comes up.

Thats why i said: ONE of the reasons......not the only reason.

Unfortunately not everyone is as considerate as you are.

As for leaving before 'you can even buy a cafe con leche' :eek:, well, I can tell you that after putting in an hour or two of walking, that first cafe con leche, mid-morning, is pure unadulterated bliss. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend that you do. ;)

To me, every good cafe con leche is pure unadulterated bliss, including the ones i drink before leaving town in the morning.:)

I said in another post that you have to get to your destination by 2pm or risk not having a bed.
I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience. It certainly wasn't mine. I don't recall any day stopping before about 3 pm, several much later, and only twice met with a full albergue. On the first occasion, there was another albergue with space available in the town. The next time I checked at a small private albergue that didn't have a bed, walked on to the next village, and found an albergue bed there.

Dan

View attachment 15867 View attachment 15868 View attachment 15869 View attachment 15870
This is my pack and experience. Compeeds on hot spot = no blisters. I'm large and start out around 99kg and usually get to Santiago at 90kg after eating and drinking like I would on any other day in my life.

Quote:"As for paper vs the rest of the waste ... tp also decomposes. I say pick it all up and dispose of it when you can. It's what we do with our dogs's waste after all."

TP does decompose, but it takes a while (especially scrunched up and damp). There are few things more off-putting than used TP all over the landscape. And, please, do not 'go' inside ruins or behind walls. The people behind you will appreciate the absence of evidence.

A small plastic bag for the TP is a necessity.

Sue

Hi Fiona, Refuge Orisson is closed for winter, they operate from March to October as stated on the website - I had also sent booking requests via their website during their 'closed' season - eventually I called Jean-Jacques on his mobile (number on the website) and sent a further booking request to his email address which he responded to in 2 days - address is refuge-orisson@wanadoo.fr - perhaps send email and follow up with a phone call

Hi Fiona, Refuge Orisson is closed for winter, they operate from March to October as stated on the website - I had also sent booking requests via their website during their 'closed' season - eventually I called Jean-Jacques on his mobile (number on the website) and sent a further booking request to his email address which he responded to in 2 days - address is refuge-orisson@wanadoo.fr - perhaps send email and follow up with a phone call
Thanks Carla ...did think it might be closed season but did also think that they would have someone keeping on top of enquiries....Will give it a few more days and then follow your advice.....although have tried the email address you suggest and it was not delivered......so maybe phone next time first.

The same for me, just tried the "Orisson address" a minute ago, wasn't delivered. Shall try through their website.

As for the Yoga that was suggested here - ask your doctor first, Yoga is good but very demanding too, for my joint problems Yoga was the first and only activity that my doctor prohibited. Mind that walking to the end of the world, cycling and even slacklining was ok.

And for weight loss. I know, when it comes to weight loss, everybody has their own theory, that works well for them and they are defending it tooth and nails. Should be listed in forum rules, point 2. While its still free to mention, here I give my 5 cents: research "Paleo". Works perfect for me. Its not a diet, its lifestyle, something that has to be done everyday, wouldn't work 10 years after you tried and dropped. The new devil apparently is all grain. Since I avoid bread, pasta and corn as much as sensibly possible, my joints feel so much better. Plus you avoid sugar, rat poison (artificial sweetener), etc. Lost 20 kg, would like to lose some 5 more, not more than 10 though. El Camino will see to that.

We are going within a weeks difference. I plan Orisson on the 6th. :)

Buen Camino

The same for me, just tried the "Orisson address" a minute ago, wasn't delivered. Shall try through their website.

As for the Yoga that was suggested here - ask your doctor first, Yoga is good but very demanding too, for my joint problems Yoga was the first and only activity that my doctor prohibited. Mind that walking to the end of the world, cycling and even slacklining was ok.

And for weight loss. I know, when it comes to weight loss, everybody has their own theory, that works well for them and they are defending it tooth and nails. Should be listed in forum rules, point 2. While its still free to mention, here I give my 5 cents: research "Paleo". Works perfect for me. Its not a diet, its lifestyle, something that has to be done everyday, wouldn't work 10 years after you tried and dropped. The new devil apparently is all grain. Since I avoid bread, pasta and corn as much as sensibly possible, my joints feel so much better. Plus you avoid sugar, rat poison (artificial sweetener), etc. Lost 20 kg, would like to lose some 5 more, not more than 10 though. El Camino will see to that.

Buen Camino
Thanks for contribution. I am sure you will soon catch up with me on the Camino as I in no hurry!

Maybe we should now add snoring to the list of prohibited subjects?:cool:

I don't believe I remember a "snoring" thread that did not turn personal and a bit ugly.
We will leave it open for the moment but it will close with the first new personal attack.

Last edited:
Thanks Carla ...did think it might be closed season but did also think that they would have someone keeping on top of enquiries....Will give it a few more days and then follow your advice.....although have tried the email address you suggest and it was not delivered......so maybe phone next time first.
Best news Refuge Orisson have replied .....so it is now official.....and I can say flights and Orisson booked...and I shall definitely be arriving in SJPP on April 22nd 2015. I don't think I need to plan anything else.......as I think it is ok to just turn up at other refuges/albergues.....if this is wrong please let me know your experiences.....really don't want to be tied to a schedule...Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino
Good news the website works ....have received booking receipt.. took only a few days to reply.....all paid...very easy....flights now booked ....all good to go

Best news Refuge Orisson have replied .....so it is now official.....and I can say flights and Orisson booked...and I shall definitely be arriving in SJPP on April 22nd 2015. I don't think I need to plan anything else.......as I think it is ok to just turn up at other refuges/albergues.....if this is wrong please let me know your experiences.....really don't want to be tied to a schedule...Thank you
I would book that first night in SJPP and wing it after Orisson.

"wing it I will" best way to do it I think......cant wait now...April will be a long time coming.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you have to book in advance SJPP auberges too? Isn't it "settle as you come in" the same as elsewhere? Which one would be the best to book then?

Good news the website works ....have received booking receipt.. took only a few days to reply.....all paid...very easy....flights now booked ....all good to go
Yes. I also got the invoice. That part settled. Also have booked the flights, both Ryanair. And Plusairportline bus from Santiago to the airport. Still have to wait for the local bus company to update their summer schedule (usually late March).
Then its all walkies-walkies!

I don't think there is any "have to" about it. I just like to know where I'm going when I finally arrive after a long flight. I booked 2 nights in SJPP so I would have a day to enjoy SJPP and get a good nights sleep before heading out. Just a personal choice.

€149,-
Oh, ok, my flight won't be that long: leave when city buses already operate and chances are that I may catch the train to SJPP at about 3pm.

Yes. I also got the invoice. That part settled. Also have booked the flights, both Ryanair. And Plusairportline bus from Santiago to the airport. Still have to wait for the local bus company to update their summer schedule (usually late March).
Then its all walkies-walkies!
More organised than me.....haven't booked anything for the return trip....as don't know how long it will take me to get to santiago.....Will think about that as the walk progresses......quite fancy the ferry but have not looked into price ext yet......my plans are very loose at the moment. It's good to know that my first night is booked though and my flight....glad to hear your plans are progressing too.

I don't think there is any "have to" about it. I just like to know where I'm going when I finally arrive after a long flight. I booked 2 nights in SJPP so I would have a day to enjoy SJPP and get a good nights sleep before heading out. Just a personal choice.
I am going to book a night in Bayonne as flight doesn't get in until early evening.....then travel to SJPP morning of 22nd......not sure if I will book anything there.......feel it would be nice to just go with the flow......Will see how I feel nearer the time.......then on 23rd t will be a slow walk to Orisson.....no need to rush on such a short distance. From there on in just go with the flow......feel inclined to take my time on the prettier bits.......then try and speed up through the long flat stretches. Any idea how busy it might be in late April and typical temperatures at that time of year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Someone else will have to tell you about April as I have no clue. I am glad you have a night scheduled in Bayonne. I must have missed that part.

I never had trouble finding a bed on the whole walk without booking ahead, but in SJPP i did have 'trouble' of finding a bed even WITH booking ahead. SJPP,in my experience, fills up pretty quickly.
'Trouble' meaning that my first 2 choices we're fully booked several months ahead of time.

I never had trouble finding a bed on the whole walk without booking ahead, but in SJPP i did have 'trouble' of finding a bed even WITH booking ahead. SJPP,in my experience, fills up pretty quickly.
'Trouble' meaning that my first 2 choices we're fully booked several months ahead of time.
Done. My first choice Auberge du Pelerin (they have wifi and demi pension, its big = there will be company) answered the reservation letter the same day. May I ask which were your first 2 choices?

Done. My first choice Auberge du Pelerin (they have wifi and demi pension, its big = there will be company) answered the reservation letter the same day. May I ask which were your first 2 choices?
Gite ultreia and esprit du chemin. I ended up in Auberge du Pelerin and was also very happy with that. Would surely stay there again, so good choice for you, i would say :)

You would have had company in all the others as well, for sure. Esprit du chemin in very popular and the first time i was in Sjpp i stayed in Gite ultreia and it was also completo (so was esprit du chemin)

€149,-

You really don't need as much as you think you do. Pack minimally. It is so easy to do laundry along the way bring minimal clothes.
I had no blisters at all. I believe my hiking shoes in my real size (Salomon brand from REI) and using Glide and/or Compeed every morning on my feet saved me.
There are plenty of bathrooms on the way in the little villages. On the occasions there is not just go in the woods.
Bed Bug-I sprayed everything down with permethrin before leaving. I saw many pilgrims with aersol cans of spray they sprayed their beds with when they arrived at an albergue. Can be a problem, but wasn't as big as I thought it would be. No signs of bed bugs til my last night in Santiago, but I averted them.
Buen Camino!

You're on about the same timeline as our Camino last year. We left SJPP on May 1. Rained the first day and sleeted the next after our overnight stay in Orrison. There are plenty of provisions in SJPP if you forget anything. Vaseline and Compeed are important. I rubbed Vaseline on my feet every morning and sometimes during a morning break. No heel blisters the entire trip. Orrison is fairly close and you can always porter your backpack to Orrison and then Roncevalles to make the trek a littler easier over the Pyranees. A poncho is imperative. Our 2014 Camino from May 1 to June 8 had rain about 25% of the time. In hindsight, my Lowa boots did not work for me - too little room in the toe bed - they were only a half size larger. My next trip, I'm testing trekking shoes 1 full size larger. Had a pre-treated sleeping sak (Sea to Summit) and never had bed bugs. My best advice is to remember the guide book is a suggestion book not a rule book. Walking too much too often can wear you down. 16k-20k is very doable. maybe 24k. On the days we walked 30k-35k, it was exhausting. Take breaks, take care of your feet and enjoy the adventure. Buen Camino!

Bed Bug-I sprayed everything down with permethrin before leaving. I saw many pilgrims with aersol cans of spray they sprayed their beds with when they arrived at an albergue.
Why before leaving? I thought the idea was not getting bitten at all instead of feed them first and kill afterwards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back