• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

...on painted toenails...

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
There's a buzz in other forums/FB pages about getting pedicures before walking the camino and I'd like to offer my two cents. I suggest getting a "mini-pedi', not a full pedicure. Please do have your nails trimmed and cuticles checked, but do not allow the pedicurist to scrape off all of the callous from under your feet. You need that tough skin to walk the upcoming miles. Fresh, exposed skin without protection will be subject to blisters. Secondly, Please do not get polish/laquer on your toe nails. If you have an extreme injury,medical professionals check for perfusion on your nail beds. You also want to be able to see any bruising or trauma yourself to address it right away. And it goes without saying you need to see if your nails/toes are clean to avoid infection. Painted piggies may look pretty, but save that pedicure for your return home !

I tended to the blisters of a poor walker rom Ireland. She had no idea the extent of trauma to her big toe after a long day of downhill until the pus oozed from beneath her pretty pink nail. Gross.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a girl that loves trekking but also loves nice nails, I second everything the OP said! Very good advice!

I also always carry a mini paper nail file with me to keep my nails short along the way, weighs nothing :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Blisters under calloused skin are awful. They really hurt but are hard to drain and take ages to heal. In my 20's I learnt the hard way to always make sure I do have a full pedicure (podiatrist) to remove all hard skin before I do long treks as that skin causes deep blisters to form on my feet in predictable areas.
By the time I reached my 30's I had realised that looking after my feet was paramount, I spend what I need to on shoes that are right for me, socks that work, and generally making sure that my feet are in good order. So now I rarely get a blister. Even in summer months I didn't get blisters on the Camino.
Rather than trying to have thick skin on my feet, I focus on getting shoes that wont cause any blisters. They are usually 1 1/2 sizes bigger than the store staff try to sell me.

(I also painted my toes - by the time I reached Santiago it had half grown out)

While I agree with getting a pedicure before a Camino, like share Jillgat's concern. I suffer from blood accumulating under really thick calluses on both heels. This congenital condition nearly led to infection and terminating my first Camino in 2013. In 2018, the same issue led to an interruption and an enforced rest stop. Both times, I had to seek medical intervention to repair my heels before I could continue.

It is neither my boots, socks, or insoles. It is rather the particularly odd geometry of my right foot. It is about 9 degrees off-center to the right, and has a more pronounced pronation as compared to the left foot. It drove my drill instructors batty in basic training many years ago. While the left foot was standing rigidly at attention, my left foot was 'at ease.' Sir, I was made from spare parts SIR!

I was born that way and have had callus issues my entire life. It is too late to fix it surgically. So, I cope as best I can. It just requires regular observation and attention to detail.

One of the things I do is to have a proper pedicure monthly while home. Recently, I have accrued a new podiatrist. So, the future plan is to have the doctor give my feet a once over shortly before my next and future Caminos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I agree with getting a pedicure before a Camino, like share Jillgat's concern. I suffer from blood accumulating under really thick calluses on both heels. This congenital condition nearly led to infection and terminating my first Camino in 2013. In 2018, the same issue led to an interruption and an enforced rest stop. Both times, I had to seek medical intervention to repair my heels before I could continue.

It is neither my boots, socks, or insoles. It is rather the particularly odd geometry of my right foot. It is about 9 degrees off-center to the right, and has a more pronounced pronation as compared to the left foot. It drove my drill instructors batty in basic training many years ago. While the left foot was standing rigidly at attention, my left foot was 'at ease.' Sir, I was made from spare parts SIR!

I was born that way and have had callus issues my entire life. It is too late to fix it surgically. So, I cope as best I can. It just requires regular observation and attention to detail.

One of the things I do is to have a proper pedicure monthly while home. Recently, I have accrued a new podiatrist. So, the future plan is to have the doctor give my feet a once over shortly before my next and future Caminos.
AND on my return.

I think the key with regard to callouses is to go for the middle ground. Thick callouses can cause problems. Having baby-soft feet can also cause problems. I have found, at least for myself, that having thin callouses on my feet works well - good for protection, but not so calloused as to cause problems. I get pedicures regularly and the nail techs always want to attack my feet with the pumice and make them baby-smooth. I have tell them to take it easy and leave a bit behind.

And I definitely agree about foregoing the toenail paint on the Camino - I love my painted toes, but my first Camino, having painted toenails hid an issue with one of the nails. I think if it hadn't been painted, I would have noticed the problem earlier and could have done something to stop the darned nail from falling off. Also, if you have issues with your toenails and need to remove the polish, it frickin' stings and burns if you have blisters on your toes - OMG. Better to just skip the paint.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have had painted nails as long as I can remember. I absolutely agree on the callous issue but compromise on the polish by using a very light translucent barely pink. Also I know after two caminos which toes have skin that don’t mind their manners and routinely blister. Prophylactic Compeed does the trick. No blisters and feet that can be seen in public.... a win win. And trauma that can easily be seen under the nail.

There's a buzz in other forums/FB pages about getting pedicures before walking the camino and I'd like to offer my two cents. I suggest getting a "mini-pedi', not a full pedicure. Please do have your nails trimmed and cuticles checked, but do not allow the pedicurist to scrape off all of the callous from under your feet. You need that tough skin to walk the upcoming miles. Fresh, exposed skin without protection will be subject to blisters. Secondly, Please do not get polish/laquer on your toe nails. If you have an extreme injury,medical professionals check for perfusion on your nail beds. You also want to be able to see any bruising or trauma yourself to address it right away. And it goes without saying you need to see if your nails/toes are clean to avoid infection. Painted piggies may look pretty, but save that pedicure for your return home !

I tended to the blisters of a poor walker rom Ireland. She had no idea the extent of trauma to her big toe after a long day of downhill until the pus oozed from beneath her pretty pink nail. Gross.
Good advice.

You also want to be able to see any bruising or trauma yourself to address it right away. And it goes without saying you need to see if your nails/toes are clean to avoid infection. Painted piggies may look pretty, but save that pedicure for your return home !
I watched a peregrina doing foot maintenance in Arzua after a few days of blisters from Sarria. She did her toenail polish before attending to her suppurating blisters. I mean, what is a few more minutes of pain if your nails look bad?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have had painted nails as long as I can remember. I absolutely agree on the callous issue but compromise on the polish by using a very light translucent barely pink. Also I know after two caminos which toes have skin that don’t mind their manners and routinely blister. Prophylactic Compeed does the trick. No blisters and feet that can be seen in public.... a win win. And trauma that can easily be seen under the nail.
Compeed isn't designed to be used to prevent blisters, and should only be used on deroofed blisters. https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/how-to-use-hydrocolloid-dressings And it's pretty expensive for that use. A roll of Omnifix stretch tape is less expensive, and can cover a larger area.

Compeed isn't designed to be used to prevent blisters, and should only be used on deroofed blisters. https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/how-to-use-hydrocolloid-dressings And it's pretty expensive for that use. A roll of Omnifix stretch tape is less expensive, and can cover a larger area.

"COMPEED" is a brand name for an entire line of foot care products, one of which is Compeed Antiblister Stick, which is indeed a blister preventative and has nothing to do with treating blisters that have already formed with plasters. I too, use Compeed Stick as prophylactic against blisters. Not one blister in last four Caminos . Wise to know the available products and not correct others offering sound information without the absolute surety that they are incorrect.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back