• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino, on this date in June

June 28th 2014-Camino Frances
El Burgo Ranero to Villarente
Nice walking day again. I find walking on the meseta portion of the Frances to be easy and relaxing. A break from the hills. I'll never understand why anyone would think walking stretches of farmland would mess with their mind, so to speak. They must not get out much, lol.
In Villarente stayed at a really nice private albergue, San Pelayo. Had a really good dinner there, too.
Will be a short walk to Leon tomorrow.
Camino 2014 083.JPGCamino 2014 084.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
29th June 2019, Camino Frances
O Cebreiro to Albergue A Reboleira

After six days in Lugo hospital and another four days recovering with a friend and his family in Portugal my friend was generous enough to drive me back to O Cebreiro so that I could resume my Camino.

IMG_20190629_083828372.jpg

It was misty in O Cebreiro but as I walked the mist dropped and then disappeared, providing stunning views.

IMG_20190629_085141839.jpgIMG_20190629_090231748.jpgIMG_20190629_090719426.jpgIMG_20190629_094802021.jpg

I am so glad that I restarted from O Cebreiro as I was not in any condition to appreciate this part of the Camino when I was ill and it is stunningly beautiful.

I came across a Spanish guy riding his fabulous horse along the way and I stopped to say hello to the horse but didn't take any photos.

This time I stopped at Alto de San Roque and took some photos.

IMG_20190629_095053244.jpg IMG_20190629_095109761.jpg

Soon after the familiar incline into Hospital came into view and this time I had no problems walking up it.

IMG_20190629_101553226.jpg

I called into O Tear - Bar restaurante to thank the people there for helping me and ordered a coffee and brunch. I got a little emotional as I thanked them. Here is one of the lovely ladies who helped me ten days before.

IMG_20190629_112007099.jpg

After lingering for a while I headed back onto the trail and walked to Albergue A Reboleira, 12 kilometers from O Cebreiro. This was my first day walking any real distance since my hospital stay and so I took it easy.

No photos of Albergue A Reboleira but it was a nice place to stay, clean and with friendly staff.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow.
You're back @Doughnut NZ .
🥳
You can't keep a good Kiwi down.
I was really, really lucky to have such a good friend living in Portugal. When I was discharged from hospital I was well enough to leave but not well enough to restart walking.

My hospital doctor was a little reluctant to discharge me as my blood oxygen level was still quite a bit below normal but I managed to convince her that my friend and his family would take good care of me and so she sent me on my way with a bunch of antibiotics to finish off.

They did indeed take care of me. I ended up staying in my friends parents house and the day after I arrived his mother's sister died! I felt a little uncomfortable being there at that deeply personal time as all my friend's siblings and other relatives descended on the house.

They all made me feel very welcome though and I relaxed and was able to recuperate and regain some strength.

They were all still there after the funeral on the day before I returned to Spain and so they threw a party for me to say goodbye.

Here are some pics from the party.

IMG_20190628_205519.jpg IMG_20190628_194419356.jpg

Later that year, my friend's father died and I had some of the last photos of him and so I was able to share those with my friend. ❤️

June 29th 2014-Camino Frances
Villarente to La Virgen del Camino
Walked on through Leon and since I wanted to walk to Hospital de Orbigo the next day I decided to stay the night in La Virgen del Camino at the albergue D. Antonino D Cinia. Nice, clean and well run albergue. If you stay in La Virgen you really have not left Leon, and to be honest it is not the most scenic, and a busy roadway runs right down the middle. Still, the albergue was full. I suppose a lot of other pilgrims have the same idea I had.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
30 June 2019 Camino Frances
Albergue A Reboleira to Triacastela (9.5klm)

Another short (but beautiful) day walking down to Triacastela as I was still rebuilding my fitness. See the photos below for some examples of the beauty.
IMG_20190630_095729796.jpgIMG_20190630_095926320.jpgIMG_20190630_101137563.jpgIMG_20190630_101144778.jpg
Stayed the night at the Xunta albergue. This was an adequate place to stay, perfectly serviceable but the swinging doors to the bedrooms were very noisy.
IMG_20190630_135401136.jpg
After doing my washing and hanging it out on the line I spotted this beautiful tabby cat who went off hunting in the field beside the albergue. Within minutes she had caught a mouse and bought it back to show me how clever she was 😻. The photo was taken just after the mouse (and) tail had disappeared down her throat. No wonder she was so sleek and glossy!
IMG_20190630_145344565.jpg
I met my first other Kiwis here, a guy about my age from Palmerston North and his daughter. We ate dinner together and during dinner the guy introduced me to a young Kiwi couple. So, after meeting no other Kiwis on Camino until then, all at once I met four. They were the only four that I was to meet. Photos of Triacastela below.
IMG_20190630_145804169.jpgIMG_20190630_150412695.jpgIMG_20190630_150542124.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back