Search 62305 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

2023 Camino Guides
The 2023 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
patio.jpg

2011. Mansilla de la Mulas. Albergue municipal when wonderful hospi Laura was still caring for the pilgrims. She recently became the owner of a private place somewhere on another Caminoroute ( forgot which one ).

The quiet patio. I was lucky to share one of the smaller dorms with only two other pilgrims. Quiet and gracious chaps.
One of them, a pilgrim on bike whom I only met that day, and I still have regular contact.
For me yet an example that ' a Camino family ' with whom you walk for days is a strange concept to me.
Some meetings are short and limited but can have more impact on you as a person than feeling forced to stick with a group 'out of moral duty ' . Again , my personal idea of course.

Last edited:

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
View attachment 140254

2011. Mansilla de la Mulas. Albergue municipal when wonderful hospi Laura was still caring for the pilgrims. She recently became the owner of a private place somewhere on another Caminoroute ( forgot which one ).

The quiet patio. I was lucky to share one of the smaller dorms with only two other pilgrims. Quiet and gracious chaps.
One of them, a pilgrim on bike whom I only met that day, and I still have regular contact.
For me yet an example that ' a Camino family ' with whom you walk for days is a strange concept to me.
Some meetings are short and limited but can have more impact on you as a person than feeling forced to stick with a group " 'out of moral duty ' . Again , my personal idea of course.
SabsP,
Thanks for sharing your recollection of a very special place, lady and spirit. This post details where Laura is now. Here is another fond recollection from 2014 of Laura in Mansilla. Last but not least see this for the impact elsewhere of chance encounters

Last edited:
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I've been quiet here, needing to use my energy elsewhere.

2015. March. Camino Francés. After falling on my face the day before, and in the pouring rain, I cut my walk from Najera short in Cirueña, at Albergue Virgen de Guadalupe. After the respite, this was the view along the way heading to Santo Domingo the next morning. 🙃
IMG_7450.JPG

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Camino Frances
Torres del Rio

January 26, 2008

Torres del Rio.jpg

Beneath a winter sky Torres del Rio is encircled by the rio Linares and riverside vegetation.
On the extreme right amidst the rooftops rises the tower of the octagonal Romanesque church, Santo Sepulcro.
In the distant middle view soars the tower of the Iglesia San Andres.
Further west in the far distant middle view the camino path towards Viana crosses the gully, Mataburros/Mule Killer!

How to avoid failure "be prepared"
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
April 8, 2022
Looking back at Castrojeriz
I'm always enthralled by pictures like this that tell a geological story. Notice that your vantage point on the Alto, the crest of the hill at Castrojeritz Castle, and the more distant horizon form a perfectly flat plane. It's the top of the Paramo Limestone which was deposited in a huge lake that used to be the lowest point of the Duero Basin, (what we now call the Meseta). Subsequent erosion has cut through it giving us the fertile valleys that we walk through from Hontanas and Hornillos.

Yoyo

Ambulo, ergo sum. 🥾
2023, hopefully.
I liked this little roadside stamp station in Gião, on the first stage out of Porto on the central route.
Just a little further on, a lovely young shopkeeper wouldn't charge me for a large bottle of ice cold water I wanted to buy. "You are a pilgrim, therefore it's free", she insisted.

IMG_8407.jpeg

The Way: Through a Field of Stars (audiobook)
A great book to listen to while training for the Camino or to relive the experience!

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino Frances
Logroño
Iglesia de Santiago el Real

January 27, 2008

Logrono, Iglesia de Santiago el Real.jpg

This bi-level door front depicts Saint James in two different guises associated with his hagiography.

On the lower level he is a gentle pilgrim wearing a hat and cape, holding a staff and shell. The upper level depiction is as Matamoros or Moor slayer riding a spirited white horse beneath which lie slain Moors. This depiction evolved after the 9th c. battle at Clavijo where the Spanish king while fighting Moors "saw" in the sky an apparition of Saint James on horseback. Thus, the victorious Spanish began the Reconquest of Spain.

Last edited:
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
One of the first images from my first camino, Leon to Santiago - awestruck by the bigness of it all. The path, the sky, the immensity of the endeavor (which would now seem like a walk in the park, but that was then, just a few kms in)...
Leon-Hospital de Orbigo (5).JPG

Most read last week in this forum

It is still a Beta version but entirely functional, available for both, Apple IOS and Android. (It is all in Spanish but you can open www.gronze.com with Google translate) Btw: Gronze also has a...
Hi all. Asking all Australians what was the best way to use your current phone on the Camino plesse. IDid you just use roaming? Only need phone for whatsapp and accomm. I have an Samsung S10 and...
There's a job offer at the Nuns' Albergue in Léon. https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/prensa/verprensa.asp?PrensaID=19203 Not stated outright, but implicit in the job description, you'd...

How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2023 Camino Guides