• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Camino Frances,
between Erro and Zubiri ?

photo taken February 8, 2007

west of Erro.JPG

Have you seen this? If so please do tell where. Years ago when using a Canon digital IXUS camera (without GPS ) I scribbled "after Erro"/ "medieval albergue ? " in notes.
Never on any future camino did I pass this spot again.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances,

View attachment 143942

Have you seen this? If so please do tell where. Years ago when using a Canon digital IXUS camera (without GPS ) I scribbled "after Erro"/ "medieval albergue ? " in notes.

Sorry, had a look at our photos but can’t help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances,

View attachment 143942

Not much help from me, @mspath - sorry! I passed ruins of a pilgrim's hostel in the forest not far the Alto de Erro, but it was nothing like the building in your photo, basically just one wall. My OSMand map labels ot as Venta del Puerto and search images are as I remember it.
But I did find this, which looks more like your image.

Here's an interesting tangent, though:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Forgive the slight detour...
On Thursday, at a funeral, someone who is in early Alzheimer's told me she was surprised to be at the cemetery, as she had never been there before.
I know she was responsible for the purchase of the plot.
Sometimes, what is right in front of our eyes is hidden from view!
I am only surmising that the scallop is the design, just that it is in a rectangular frame.
(Which I find consoling, as my immediate response to my friend was to say: you know, maybe you came here by a different route, and that has confused you a little.)

tee-hee! I see that misunderstood the question! 🤣

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
49 rue de La Citadelle

photo taken October 14, 2014

49 rue de La Citadelle .jpg

This handsome door knocker adorns a private house on the street of pilgrim hope and memory in Saint Jean Pied de Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
leaving Navarrete
marker

photo taken October 28, 2015

marker, Navarrete cemetery.jpg

This marker/tablet depicting two pilgrim basics, a water gourd and staff, is located on the entrance wall of the Navarrete cemetery on the west side of town. The entrance of the cemetery earlier had repurposed/reused the ruins of a medieval pilgrim hostel originally located on the east of the town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At the entrance of Villafranca del Bierzo, next to the albergue Ave Fénix which - luckily - is not the building in the picture.
Both times I came through town I stayed at Albergue Leo and found it a very welcoming and friendly place.
CF, May 2019

Villafranca del Bierzo.jpeg

September 14, 2012 Camino Frances. Casa Felisa, just before Logrono.
"Antes Felisa ahora Maria. Pan, higos y amor" Before Felisa now Maria. Bread, figs and love.

Maria stamps my credential. She was making coffee and toast for pilgrims in her kitchen. I was happy to meet her and spend a bit of time there. May both she and Felisa rest in peace.

DSC04906.jpeg DSC04890.jpeg

Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate

photo taken October 22, 2014

Eunate stonemason mark.jpg

This distinctive mark was left by a stonemason when constructing the Iglesia.

For a description of the working methods of architectural craftsmen in medieval Spain see the subsection entitled Artists and Professionals, Stonemasons, anonymity and artists' signatures in this Wikipedia article.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Carrión de los Condes
Iglesia de Santiago

photo taken November 14, 2012

Carrión de los Condes.jpg

The west facade of the Iglesia de Santiago built mid-12th c. is a splendid example of Romanesque style. Christ sits in the middle of a broad frieze beneath the roof eaves surrounded by symbols of the four Evangelists flanked by the Apostles.

Happy Easter from Down Under!

The path leading to Casa a Picohna, (where we were booked to stay), just before Dumbria. We found the signpost a wee bit confusing! Rather than pointing directly down the grassy path it was pointing in a similar direction to the Camino arrow to the right, so initially we went to the right until we got to the Albergue in Dumbria and realised we should have turned left at the corner! Eventually we found the Casa! We had a very enjoyable stay and retraced our steps the next morning. 28th, June, 2022.
418679D2-6764-43F2-900B-ACD41D3ADF32.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
8 years ago today, a day on the Francés that I can never remember much about after the fact.
Except a wonderful cafe some kms in.
And just walking.
View attachment 144587
VNwalking,
Great trees in this view! Roughly 2 days west of Portemarin? Might this be en route towards Melide and the "wonderful cafe" in El Coto?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Between Orisson and Col Lepoeder, May 2012
Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica)

MayJune2012 033.JPG

This photo was a reminder to look up the plant’s name. I accidentally planted my hand atop it while taking a break to sit, ouch! Stinging nettle proliferates in the Pyrenees from spring-summer and has many beneficial qualities – like this example of traditional cheese-making. (Reconfigured today, but with ancient roots.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin

photo taken October 25, 2014

Local color.jpg

Asked about lunch possibilities the friendly hospitalero in the then new Villamayor de Monjardin private albergue offered me this splendid tomato from his father's garden.
...All these years later I remember the delicious taste and his kindness.

Camino Catalan.
In October 22 I started my Camino Catalan, but i didn´t start at Port de la Selva because I wanted to visit same special places before. This is why I did my zero stage from Cadaqués to Port de la Selva.
Thanks for the inspiration to Tasmin, Peregrina2000 and all pilgrims that share their information and feelings.

Cadaqués 20221012.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
Santa Maria a Real
tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro

photo taken November 28, 2014

tomb.jpg

Within the church I paused at the tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro the local priest well known for much historic camino research and for painting the first yellow arrows which pilgrims so diligently follow.

For basic info re O Cebreiro and Don Elias Valiña Sampedro's life and publications see this Spanish link.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Uterga
pedestrian portrait

photo taken October 22, 2012

Pedestrian portrait 22.10.2012.jpg

In fog and rain my CF path up the infamous Alto de Perdon became churning mud; descending the trecherous mud covered scree and the rain never ceased.
Arriving at the Uterga albergue I took this photo for permanent proof of all that mud!

Spring is my favourite sesaon on the Camino.
In 2011 I walked my first one and I arrived this day in Obanos.
In 2013 I was in Rabé de las Calzadas when I walked part of the Camino del Ebro and then part of the Francés.
In 2014 I walked the Inglés but got ill in Sigueiro so taxied to Santiago de Compostela.

In 2018 I walked the Ingles again and did finish.
Today five years ago.

Brand new mojón. Almost in Santiago.

FB_IMG_1681460133115.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro

photos taken March 11, 2009
and November 23, 2011

Some uses of iconic symbols can be jarring.

O Cebreiro, church, interior.jpg

This magnificent silver chalice was a gift from royalty commemorating a medieval miracle of faith when a parishioner experienced the transformation of wine and bread.

Galicia symbol.jpg

In more recent time the stylized shape of the chalice became the symbol of Galicia and thus now appears throughout the province even on garbage containers!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back