• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Pamplona
Cathedral cloister

photo taken October 21, 2013

Pamplona, 21 10 2013 .jpg

Above the open loggia space on the 2nd storey of this Gothic cloister can be seen an uppermost smaller loggia which may have been part of a dormitory. Open on one side these loggias would have been/still are airy covered places for private strolling.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral
interior

photo taken December 9, 2012

Santiago, cathedral, interior.jpg

After walking into Santiago de Compostela and up the hill to the cathedral thus completing my 8th CF, I sat alone in the dim afternoon light offering silent thanks for all that had been which enabled these precious moments.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Day One, 19 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

Dolmen on the Purgatory Trail. Erected by Iberian Celtics, according to a Cadoggan Guidebook on Northern Spain. This is found before Monte Jaizkibel. Along the trail are six Carlist watchtowers undergoing restoration. The dolmen held religious and cultural significance among the ancient Celtics.

IMG20220619102540.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day Two, 20 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

A Roman aqueduct. Found on Monte Mendiola, after crossing Pasaia San Juan to Pasaia San Pedro by ferry. When you pass by this place, it would be just a few hours before you reach Donostia. Up ahead would be Los Doce Tribus, on Monte Igeldo, where you would be treated to home-baked bread, pies and pastries and home-brewed arabica coffee.

IMG20220620082217.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day Three, 21 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

"Primus Circumdedisti Me". You were the first to circumnavigate me. A monument dedicated to Capitan Juan Sebastian de Elcano, who steered, commanded and brought the only remaining ship Victoria, from a fleet of five, along with 18 survivors, back to Spain in 1522 after a disastrous battle in Cebu, the Philippines, where Capitan-General Fernando de Magallanes was slain along with most of his men. This monument is found in Getaria.

IMG20220621112725.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day Four, 22 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

I went off-the-grid for a day from the Camino del Norte to visit my great-grandparents' place of origin in Bizkaia Province. This took me a whole day of walking starting from Ondarroa. By noon, I stopped in this beautiful little town to rest, refresh and take a meal. The town is called Lekeitio and was once a whaling port in the 12th Century. There was one thing I noticed about the townfolks here. They dressed smart and so different from the rest of Spain.

IMG20220622113321.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Villafranca del Bierzo
Iglesia de Santiago, Puerta del Perdón

Puerta del Perdón.jpg

Medieval pilgrims who arrived at this door unable to continue were given the same indulgences as those valid pilgrims who made it all the way to Santiago de Compostela. Hence this door is known as the Puerta del Perdón/Door of Pardon.

Day Five, 23 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

I spent the whole day in Gernika. When you are in Gernika, you are in a historical place. They have their Basque Culture Museum, the legendary Tree of Gernika and the famous Pablo Picasso mural. I featured the mural, a ceramic rendition from the original. It depicts the turmoil during the bombing of Gernika by the Condor Legion of the Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-39.

IMG20220623143131.jpg

Day Five, 23 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

I spent the whole day in Gernika. When you are in Gernika, you are in a historical place. They have their Basque Culture Museum, the legendary Tree of Gernika and the famous Pablo Picasso mural. I featured the mural, a ceramic rendition from the original. It depicts the turmoil during the bombing of Gernika by the Condor Legion of the Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-39.

View attachment 147029
I don't mean to make light of the terrible things that happened in Guernica, but I do like this cartoon by Argentinian cartoonist Quino:

guernica.jpg

If only the world's problems could be resolved this easily!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
La Virgen del Camino
Basilica
interior
photo taken February 27, 2009

La Virgen del Camino.jpg

Located 7 km beyond Léon on the CF.
deep yellow windows light the contemporary Basilica de La Virgen del Camino designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, in the Brutalist style.

Camino Frances
La Virgen del Camino
Basilica
interior
photo taken February 27, 2009

View attachment 147079

Located 7 km beyond Léon on the CF.
deep yellow windows light the contemporary Basilica de La Virgen del Camino designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, in the Brutalist style.

And this is the main façade
The sculptor is Josep Maria Subirachs, who also worked at the Sagrada Família.
Virgen del Camino 20211004.jpg

If you want more information follow this link.

Josep Maria Subirachs

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Six years ago today, I arrived in Saint-Jean-Pied-de Port for my very first camino.
What an exciting day! I got off the train at around noon, and after getting my first stamp at the pilgrims' office and checking in at my albergue, I had a look around town.
SJPP, May 15, 2017

SJPP.jpeg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day Seven, 25 June 2022.
Camino del Norte.

San Mames Stadium, home of Athletic Bilbao, and a replica of a Spanish man-of-war. This can be seen from across the river after crossing the bridge from the Guggenheim. The path is very straight and follows the Rio Levante which led to Getxo, where there is a ferry service to Portugalete. Another service is a gondola hanged by cables from an iron bridge.

IMG20220625135418.jpg

Last edited:
A room with a view.
DAY 1 brought me to Orisson. After the timed 5-minute shower I enjoyed a cold drink, the gorgeous view and good company on the terrace until it was time to go in for dinner. That night, nobody was asked to stand up and present themselves, as seems to be the tradition. I didn't mind.
May 16, 2017

Orisson.jpeg

Two pics today.
Twelve years ago I finished on this day my first Camino ( CF).
When you were still allowed into the cathedral with your backpack ( I am the one with the purple fleece).

Second one taken in 2019 ( most recent Camino) . First flecha in Irun. Starting the Vasco Interior.

FB_IMG_1684297359973.jpgFB_IMG_1684297384483.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Sahagun
Calle Antonio Nicolás, 40

photo taken March 3, 2007

Sahagun window.JPG

This window is one of a series in the south wall of the Santa Cruz albergue. Tap on the photo to see the lattice-like wooden interior screens which exhibit a Mashrabiya influence.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Six years ago today: CF DAY 3
This was the only day with major rainfall on my first camino and made for an adventurous descent to Zubiri. The warm welcome and lovely dinner at Albergue Suseia were all the more appreciated!
Picture taken near Lintzoain, May 18, 2017

Lintzoain.jpeg

We had arrived in the Praza Obradoiro, Santiago at the very end of our Camino Primitivo and our fourth Camino last year! 29, July, 2022. Quite relieved that we had made it in one piece and still able to walk!!
We were in boots and our Australian friend, who we met up with in Melide, always walks in sandals!
IMG_0699.jpeg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Six years ago today: CF DAY 4
Between Zubiri and Larrasoaña I payed a brief visit to La Abadía de Ilárraz where I took this picture of a Saint James figurine. I remember people were making an effort to restore that little church through crowd funding. I wonder how far they have come over the past six years.
I walked on to Pamplona that day.
Picture taken May 19, 2017

LaAbadía-Ilárraz.jpeg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Between Zubiri and Larrasoaña I payed a brief visit to La Abadía de Ilárraz where I took this picture of a Saint James figurine. I remember people were making an effort to restore that little church through crowd funding. I wonder how far they have come over the past six years.

View attachment 147307

Hi Yo-yo,
We took this photo outside the Church on the 12th, May, 2022. The Church was closed when we went passed just before 8am.
IMG_3965.jpeg

Camino Frances
leaving Sahagun
Puente Canto

photo taken November 9, 2011

View attachment 147282

Night lights were still lit on the cold wet morning when I would leave Sahagun by crossing the rio Cea on this bridge.
A few years on and a friendly pilgrim from the Netherlands (Marcel) getting in the way

Attachments

• DSCN2748.JPG
    DSCN2748.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17

View attachment 147307
To the best of my knowledge, the owner of the Abadia is alive and well and still plugging away. I will perhaps visit there in June. And chapeau for reaching Pamplona that day. (I rather think we reached Cizur Menor, so 5km further, to enable a shorter day to Puenta la Reina on the following day...

The gorgeous albergue ( old watermill) in Beasain. Donativo. Wonderful hospis.
Four years ago today on the Vasco Interior.
@VNwalking and I had one dorm to ourselves. Two male pilgrims occupied the other dorm.
That was also the total of pilgrims we saw on this Camino, aside from a couple of French pilgrims who were on a bike.

FB_IMG_1684514821773.jpg

€60,-
Six years ago today: CF DAY 5
I decided to give my novice camino legs an early rest day in Pamplona, as all that downhill walking to Roncesvalles and Zubiri had made my thigh muscles super sore. I remember standing outside the sleeping quarters at Casa Ibarrola and wondering how on earth I would manage to go down the 8-or-so steps to the common area! 😆
The city center was very busy as there was the Fiesta del Rosado de Navarra going on with rosé wine tastings in the narrow streets. That explains all the pink hats.
Picture taken on May 20, 2017

Pamplona.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back