• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Samos
Rúa do Salvador
La Capela do Ciprés/ the Cypress Chapel

photo taken December 1, 2013

Samos, La Capela do Ciprés.jpg

Located + - 100 m. from the main Samos monastery La Capela do Ciprés which contains the oldest remnants of the original complex may once have been a monastic cell. This chapel is named for an adjacent millennial cypress tree 25 m. tall, one of the most notable trees in Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View attachment 133700
20th, May, 2022. A beautiful capital from the Knights Cloister in the Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real, Najera. Our regard for Capitals has increased dramatically since being part of this thread and mspaths educative posts, thank you Margaret.
Anne&Pat,
Thank you for you kind comment and this splendid photo. What a joy it is to see and share such beauty on this forum. Long may it be so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
April 21, 2022 First day on the Camino Invierno!
Until this day, I had been walking the Camino Frances for the third time, enjoying the comfort of knowing what was coming next, but now everything was new and exciting.
On this day I walked from Molinaseca to Villavieja, with a long and exhausting climb to the albergue carrying all my food for dinner and breakfast the next morning. I should have brought enough for lunch as well, because there was nothing open until Santalla del Bierzo, the last stop before the climb.
The views over the valley, where everyone I had already met would be walking on to Cacabelos and then to Villafranca del Bierzo, were spectacular. The photo is of the path up to Villavieja.
4563DDE7-28EA-4402-89D0-2D10DA7B7D8C.jpeg

del Norte July 7, 2019. Up, up, up for at least a kilometer, whew! Very steep leaving Zarautz after being told there is no bed available. I cried as I was already exhausted and not sure where I was headed. If I would have known what I know now I would've taken the walkway along the water to Getaria instead of taking the more challenging way. 🤷🏻‍♀️☺️ I had started in San Sebastian this added an additional 5.3 k.

24F0ECF5-0A1F-4CA1-B7C0-47C44F8590C6.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Casanova
horreo/granary

photo taken December 5, 2013

Casanova, 2013.jpg

Casanova is a rural Galician hamlet west of Palas de Rei and east of Melide. Throughout Galicia the CF passes through many small hamlets which have such granaries.
Fellow walker D. Madill in his 2014 blog Galician Granaries provides extensive research re the history/location/protection of these vernacular structures.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
April 21, 2022 First day on the Camino Invierno!
Until this day, I had been walking the Camino Frances for the third time, enjoying the comfort of knowing what was coming next, but now everything was new and exciting.
On this day I walked from Molinaseca to Villavieja, with a long and exhausting climb to the albergue carrying all my food for dinner and breakfast the next morning. I should have brought enough for lunch as well, because there was nothing open until Santalla del Bierzo, the last stop before the climb.
The views over the valley, where everyone I had already met would be walking on to Cacabelos and then to Villafranca del Bierzo, were spectacular. The photo is of the path up to Villavieja.
View attachment 133787
I will walk my first Camino in 2024 and I have thought about walking CF to Ponferrado then diverting to the Invierno. My guidebook says the Invierno is not recommended for first time pilgrims. What do you think?

I will walk my first Camino in 2024 and I have thought about walking CF to Ponferrado then diverting to the Invierno. My guidebook says the Invierno is not recommended for first time pilgrims. What do you think?
After you have walked the CF as far as Ponferrada, you won’t really be a first time pilgrim, and you should be ready to tackle the Invierno. Some of the days are longer by necessity, as there is no option for a stopping place in between, and this makes it, in my opinion, more difficult than the Frances. But the scenery is wonderful and the route much more solitary than the Frances. I did it at 73 years of age so I would think you will be fine!
I wasn’t sure, early on in my Camino, if I would take the Invierno or stay on the Frances, but I had allowed enough time for the couple of extra days it would take and by the time I got close to Ponferrada, I felt that I was ready for the challenge.
Buen Camino!
Rowena

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
April 22, 2022 Camino Invierno

A shorter walk on the second day, about 12 km from Villavieja to Las Medulas to allow time for a good lunch at Hotel Medulio and for exploring the paths around Las Medulas and the incredibly steep climb up to the mirador and the galeria. An amazing landscape, formed by the Romans rather than by nature, but spectacular all the same.

8691794F-D705-469A-A7CB-77E7B60E11CA.jpeg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances
east of Melide/near O Coto

towards Melide.jpg

Near here I once wearily stopped to eat a second breakfast in the patio of a rather chic, but friendly, casa rural. A small van of tourists arrived and a few hyper-tidy ‘Sunday pilgrims’ with walking sticks, but no packs, exited in order to sample the trail! Spotting my pack and shell they politely asked “How long have you been walking?” “48 days!” I answered. Stunned they dashed to the bar and never moved on.
... Chacun a son gout!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
23rd, May, 2022. Making up for being unable to post yesterday, with two photos of the same thing!
51B6ABC3-4C30-487A-8CA5-BD486566F548.jpeg
The first is the view of Ermita de la Virgen de La Pena ( Our Lady of the Crag), which is found about 1km from Tosantos, taken from the village. It’s built into the side of the cliffs with a 12thC image of the Christ Child.
FC467CBC-CA1D-45E1-B4FA-00E29F9C0F59.jpeg
The second was taken five minutes later leaving Tosantos and looking back at the Ermita.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Melide
Rúa Codeseira, 43

Melide, restaurante Sony.jpg

In Melide the Hospedaje/ Restaurante Sony had good food, friendly service, low prices and much macho atmosphere. Road workers, police, and lorry drivers eat here as did I during many caminos. December 2013, when the Xunta albergue was closed for renovation I stayed here in a small single room with private loo/shower and glorious heat. It was a comfy stop for that cold winter night!

Finishing the Camino Inglés on the 9th of May, 2022. It happens every time at the first glimpse of the Catedral de Santiago de Compostela, I feel so humbled, filled with love that I get choked up. It's hard to put into words, but it truly is such a moving and amazing event for me!

IMG_5311.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
west of Arca
photo taken December 8, 2013

west of Arca, 2013.jpg

As the sun rose on this frigid December morning frozen fields sparkled like crystal. The weather was perfect for walking the last 20 km into Santiago de Compostela and up the hill to the cathedral for the 9th time. Weeping upon arrival I touched again the ancient stones and offered silent thanks for all that had been which enabled this camino.

24th, May, 2022. Between the Monumento de Los Caidos and San Juan de Ortega.
View attachment 134022
I'm sorry Anne and Pat but I disagree.
This seems more like an artistic expression than a monument to the "caidos". I'll try to explain.
"Caidos" in Spanish, is what the "franquistas" only called their dead. The look of these monuments were gray and fascit.

Near San Juan de Ortega there is a monument that marks the mass grave where 300 republicans were rifled. This monument was made by his relatives. In some guide it is labeled as a monument to the caidos. According to google it is called Monumento La Pedraja. Maybe it's a confusion

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...bac114096db243d!8m2!3d42.3729423!4d-3.3419118

Monumento La Pedraja.jpg

This seems more like an artistic expression than a monument to the "caidos". I'll try to explain.
"Caidos" in Spanish, is what the "franquistas" only called their dead. The look of these monuments were gray and fascit.

Near San Juan de Ortega there is a monument that marks the mass grave where 300 republicans were rifled. This monument was made by his relatives. In some guide it is labeled as a monument to the caidos. According to google it is called Monumento La Pedraja. Maybe it's a confusion

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...bac114096db243d!8m2!3d42.3729423!4d-3.3419118

View attachment 134045
I think that @Anne&Pat is placing that extraordinary glade of wooden sculptures between those two points, rather than suggesting that it is a monument to the Civil War dead itself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 134045
No problems Josep. We have stopped twice at the very moving monument on the Camino, between Villafranca and San Juan de Ortega, and said a prayer for those commemorated there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Santiago de Compostela

photo taken December 10, 2013

Santiago de Compostela, 2013.jpg

When leaving Santiago de Compostela
in the pre dawn rain I silently vowed to return again next year on foot and then turned west to slowly walk towards the sea at Muxia.

Last edited:

€149,-
A rather incongruous phone on a wall next to the Plaza Mayor in Madrid. Taken last month on my way back from the Norte.

The wiring is old; it needs wound up; the earpiece is shot; and it sits at a height where most people would not be able to use the mouthpiece. But why is it there?

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
April 26, 2022 Approaching A Pobra do Brollón, Camino Invierno

3FAF45BB-4248-46C8-BA55-FF47803A17CE.jpeg

I had planned two days from Quiroga to Monforte de Lemos, a distance of about 37 km, but all the accommodation in between was closed at that time, so with the help of a taxi, I started at the medieval bridge A Ponte, making the distance about 20 km. I had the impression that the driver was used to dropping pilgrims off at that spot!
It was disappointing, though, to not have been able to walk the entire way, and it put me a day ahead of schedule to arrive in Santiago. On the bright side, next I could take a rest day and explore Monforte de Lemos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
towards the sea
Muxia

photo taken December 13, 2013

Muxia, 2013.jpg

The sky cleared and the sun shone as I approached the Muxia shore after the last wet trudge along remote forest paths.
I had walked from Santiago to Muxia staying at pilgrim albergues in Negreira, Santa Mariña de Maroñas, and Dumbria. Since heavy rain and strong wind were the daily norms on this solitary route perseverance was peremptory.

...Thus exhausted yet euphoric I reached the true end of my 9th camino.

We met this man walking with his son near Villafranca. I had stopped to pick up a chestnut to look at it. The man took out his knife and cut into it to show us the inside. We had a chat and he invited us to stop at his nearby farm to eat fruit. A camino regret that we didn't take him up on his kind offer. October 5, 2012.

DSC05789.jpeg DSC05791.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
April 27, 2022 It doesn’t get any better than this!
The view from my window at Hotel Puente Romano in Monforte de Lemos, a lovely town where the Counts of Lemos used to reside on top of the hill. A great place for a rest day, with a fruteria around one corner, a café around another, shops close by and stuff to explore on top of the hill.
Camino Invierno

15274388-2489-422A-B077-5D2CC031A665.jpeg

April 27, 2022 It doesn’t get any better than this!
The view from my window at Hotel Puente Romano in Monforte de Lemos
Haha, that's a bit creepy. I could have sworn you posted my photo, but the trees aren't in leaf in yours, and my pic is not cropped - your pic is definitely better!
And I totally concur. It is one of the best views ever.
20190609_142151.jpg
And

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio
Casa de los Dioses

photos taken November 23, 2013

All we need is love

View attachment 133394

A vibrant graffiti partly covered an ad hoc shelter at the Casa de los Dioses, a remote haven of camino caritas.

View attachment 133388

David Vidal created/maintained this simple oasis on the inland CF path west of Santibanez de Valdeiglesias/east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio amidst a vast plain with sweeping vistas. He offered friendly conversation plus a seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to those who passed.

What was most plentiful at the Casa de los Dioses was David's special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.

Is David still there? I know he's had a couple of breaks over the years.
I'm tempted to swing over that way as I come up from the VdlP next year.
He's a very special guy...... you sense it right away.

Is David still there? I know he's had a couple of breaks over the years.
I'm tempted to swing over that way as I come up from the VdlP next year.
He's a very special guy...... you sense it right away.
Indeed.David is very special. Fellow forum member NobleHiker stopped at the Casa earlier this spring.

April 28, 2022 Looking back at the Igrexia San Salvador de Moreda presiding over the Galician countryside.
Camino Invierno
That was such a lovely place to pause!
A little farther along, in Pineiro, looking back towards Monforte:
20190610_120121.jpg
Beware of the Border Collie here. She might lick you to death. 😍

October 6, 2013 --- My first, My Best. 34 days SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela.

As I sit here today, I can't believe it was I on that trail nine years ago. How did I get so fortunate to experience such a thing? Something that for me was orchestrated by God from inception to completion, I was just a willing passenger. I will long for those days on the Camino at that time in 2013 knowing I can never have a first again. ☺️
3943BA9A-A407-406A-9D75-233423D062DA.jpeg

Camino Frances
west of Murias de Rechivaldo,
east of Santa Catalina de Somoza

photo taken November 16, 2011

towards Santa Catalina de Somoza.jpg

Snow-capped mountains marked the distant CF route along the horizon west of Murias de Rechivaldo.
Indeed on this mid November day "winter was coming"; thankfully I was prepared for winter weather!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
27th, May, 2022. Statue of Santiago in the Gothic Church of San Roman Plaza de la Iglesia
in Hornillos del Camino. We went to the delightful Pilgrim Mass there in the evening. Following Mass the enthusiastic Priest asked us all to participate in a sing song, singing a song/hymn from our own country. We sang Waltzing Matilda!
27C4E17F-918D-4F33-8CCA-2F581897DE86.jpeg

The castle of Sax, or Sax castle, whichever you prefer, looking more like a Spanish castle than a Spanish castle has a right to look. It is just north of Alicante and you pass it on the Lana or the Levante (they follow the same route to begin with). It was right on the edge of the area disputed between Moors and Christians and changed hands more times than a dollar note - to this day no one is exactly sure who built which bits. 8th May this year. It had just stopped raining and we didn't see any more rain until we were in the Picos.
P1020870.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right at the foot of the castle, I seem to remember. Lovely little museum.
Yes, agreed Dick.

Haven’t seen any of your posts for awhile and just noticed your new profile on the Forum. Congratulations on your new position as a Moderator ( two from OZ now!), we see you have actually been one for about a month! Fantastic.

Camino Portugués
Pontevedra
Lugar San Amaro 6

photo taken December 12, 2011

airplane.jpg

Having left the camino path for highway N-550 I was very surprised to spot this airplane! Who knows when, why or how it "landed" north of Ponferrada on route N-550 near the Cafe Maracaibo?

Last edited:
The wonderful hostal Suso in Santiago de Compostela.
Very central at Rua do Vilar.
Four years ago on this day.

FB_IMG_1665433226374.jpgFB_IMG_1665433803074.jpg

€149,-
29th, May, 2022. When we arrived in Fromista in 2014, we were too tired and hot to do much exploring, so we didn’t! This year, luckily, it wasn’t quite so hot just warm! We had a great stay with Gabriel in his Albergue Luz de Fromista and also managed to visit the amazing 11thC Iglesia San Martin, with its many beautiful capitals. This particular church had been highlighted to us by the Forum members, thank you.
DABD946A-68CE-4546-9008-E44CC1B027AB.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
30th, May, 2022. We took the river route between Poblacion de Campos and Villalcazar de Sirga and had a beautiful walk. The photo is of us approaching Ermita de la Virgen del rio, which luckily for us was open this time. It wasn’t in 2014.
04907EFB-DA03-4897-995F-1E6F159D1464.jpeg
Coincidentally our photo today follows mspath’s photo today.

May 3, 2022 Puente Ulla, Camino Invierno
These statues are located within the church of Santa Maria Magdalena de Puente Ulla. I was curious about the female figure holding the skull. Does anyone know what this represents?

View attachment 134671
Rowena,
A skull is a symbol of life's fleetingness and the universality of death. Read more here. This female figure is Santa Maria Magdalena as inscribed on the scupture's support.
For more on her life as depicted in artistic images of Saint Mary Magdalene see this article.

Last edited:
Leaving for Paris and a 10th CF

photo taken October 13, 2014

Leaving -.jpg

At our local station another adventure would begin from home to Paris, then to Bayonne via the overnight sleeper train. Thrilled at this my emotions spun; thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ten years ago today, October 12, 2012, my first camino arrival, feeling incredibly strong and deeply grateful for this remarkable journey.

View attachment 134717
Lovely photo. The exhilaration shows.
Aside: That's a big backpack! ...or perhaps a small person :D

Last edited:
Rowena,
A skull is a symbol of life's fleetingness and the universality of death. Read more here. This female figure is Santa Maria Magdalena as inscribed on the scupture's support.
For more on her life as depicted in artistic images of Saint Mary Magdalene see this article.
Thank you! When I asked the question, I thought you would know the answer.
I assumed it was Mary Magdalene but hadn’t noticed the inscription on the base of the statue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May 4, 2022 First view of the cathedral

EE98544D-DFF7-443F-AF2F-08EB0FBED83E.jpeg

On this day I walked slowly, not wanting the journey to be over. Sadness always accompanies my arrival in Santiago, along with the realization that I must keep returning to the Camino until I am unable to do so. For me it truly is about the journey.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back