• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
October 31, 2019 The dark skies and constant drizzle, along with the thick coating of moss on the stones and the abundant ivy covering the tree trunks, contributed to the spooky atmosphere as I walked from Padrón to Milladoiro on the Portugués on All Hallows Eve.

F79D6495-8721-47DE-BC70-809676BC235E.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
14th, June, 2022. Two photos today, taken seven hours apart. We walked from Vega de Valcarce to Linares, through O Cebreiro.
BDA3706D-13F3-4CB4-80F2-CFC4E36A445B.jpegWe saw this carriage as we passed through Las Herrerias and wondered who it belonged to.
52F6C19B-19B9-41F8-8777-225890A6D73B.jpegThen we saw it again as we were having a late lunch outside Casa Jaime in Linares.
We saw them again the next morning at Alto do Poio, where we stopped for breakfast. They had spent the night there and the gentlemen with the carriage were also having breakfast. We think they were also heading to Santiago.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Coming into Santo Domingo de Silos on the Lana, March 2016.
20160323_172221.jpg
The tomb of the "Doncel" in Sigüenza cathedral.
your picture had me delving into Google within 60secs.
Ditto.
The cathedral website said no-one knows who created this amazing sculpture. He was gifted, whoever it was.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Granon
San Juan Bautista

photo taken November 3, 2014

Granon.jpg

At Granon we pilgrims shared ideas and thanks for the joy of being on the camino. Later as the local priest and a pilgrim sang in praise of the Virgin Mary their duet concluded a memorable evening of fellowship and caritas .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
November 3, 2019 After Negreira

EB272A4D-6B2B-48E3-A58F-C867101AA8C4.jpeg

Still raining, the fifth day in a row by now, and cold. I was drenched by the time I arrived at Albergue Casa Pepa, where a fire burned in the bar and the heat was on upstairs to dry our clothes.
Only a handful of pilgrims remained on the route to Muxia and Finisterre, and I considered giving up and taking a bus somewhere dry for the last few days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
November 3, 2019 After Negreira

View attachment 136158

Still raining, the fifth day in a row by now, and cold. I was drenched by the time I arrived at Albergue Casa Pepa, where a fire burned in the bar and the heat was on upstairs to dry our clothes.
Only a handful of pilgrims remained on the route to Muxia and Finisterre, and I considered giving up and taking a bus somewhere dry for the last few days.

November 2010 Casa P. was closed.

The day was unseasonably hot.

We pilgrims sweated on to next stop.

Miss the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
November 4, 2019 Onwards to Dumbria, Camino Finisterre

During the night the bad weather intensified, with heavy rain and strong wind. I left Casa Pepa after breakfast, as the storm continued. I had reached my limit of tolerance for rain blowing straight into my face, and told myself that although I hated to give up, I would get to Dumbria and find a bus to take me away from the coast. But just before Olveiroa the sun came out and warmed and dried me. What a difference that made!

0CAB7606-53F4-4EE6-80AC-1FCD64CD3920.jpeg

I visited the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña on November 4, 2019. How old? It has architectural features from the early 10th century through to the 18th century. Seen here is the original 920 mozarabic church under the almost 200 year older romanesque high church. To the right is the 12th and 13th century cloister with its famed columns and capitals. The cloister used to be enclosed by a wall. You can see marks on the church where it reached to and also modern additions added to remaining parts of the original wall to give an idea of what it was like 800 years ago. To the high right of the picture is the top of a renaissance to baroque chapel. On top of this all is a rock ledge, part of the peña (Aragonese for rocky outcrop).

IMG_20191104_134625-01.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
16th, June, 2022. Cloisters and garden
of the Monasterio de Samos. Wonderful monastery and we had a very interesting tour. Our guide was a local lady who also owns one of the restaurants in town with her brother. She was very knowledgeable. We were able to have an early meal at her restaurant later in the day before the Pilgrim Mass in the evening at the Monastery.
C47FFE50-B4D9-4CB6-82EC-A35403A5005D.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
San Juan de Ortega

November 6, 2014

San Juan de Ortegs Monastery.jpg

When at the splendid monastery of San Juan de Ortega/St John of the Nettles I recalled enjoying in 2004 the famous garlic soup made by the then local priest, Don José Maria Alonso
who actively revitalized the camino.

Deceased in 2008 he is buried within the monastery cloister. ....May he be at peace.

Nearing the Puerta del Reventón between Rascafría and Segovia on the Camino Mendocino, 6 November 2021.

View attachment 136280
Thanks for posting this. Never heard of the Camino Mendocino before. Beautiful blue sky but it looks as if you were brave walking it in November! Have just looked up this Camino, very interesting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ripening walunts on the Invierno, 2019. Yum-to-be! But not yet. It was July, the cherries' time to shine.
20190603_085313.jpg

Nearing the Puerta del Reventón between Rascafría and Segovia on the Camino Mendocino, 6 November 2021.
I assume you're looking East?
What a day, and what a photo.

17th, June, 2022. Leaving Samos at 6am for our cross country walk towards Sarria! At some points we weren’t sure whether we were on the right path or not but luckily we got there! We didn’t walk along the main road to Sarria, we took the “Opcion” through Pascais, Gorolfe, Veiga, Sivil and joined the Frances at Pedro’s and Aguiada. But some of the paths were not well used, so were a bit difficult to navigate at times.
BA877CA8-6F8D-44E5-A381-D1A2609851D1.jpegE3BCE9F5-803D-47D4-9FAE-84E15A03D266.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Burgos

November 7, 2014

Burgis, reliquary.jpg

I returned to the cathedral museum to re-see and share with a new camino friend my favorite 15th c. representation of Saint James.
Small, about 30cm tall, clad in vermeil/ gold plate on silver, with intricate curly beard and hair, wearing his wide brimmed hat and iconic shells he grips his pilgrim staff and from one shoulder hangs a tiny traveling bag known as a scrip also decorated with shells.. Perfect.

Camino Frances
Burgos

November 7, 2014

View attachment 136364

I returned to the cathedral museum to re-see and share with a new camino friend my favorite 15th c. representation of Saint James.
Small, about 30cm tall, clad in vermeil/ gold plate on silver, with intricate curly beard and hair, wearing his wide brimmed hat and iconic shells he grips his pilgrim staff and from one shoulder hangs a tiny traveling bag known as a scrip also decorated with shells.. Perfect.
Lovely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Tardajos
La Fabrica

photo taken November 8, 2014

Tardajos.jpg

Rain soaked and cold I stopped at La Fabrica, a flour mill repurposed to be an albergue/hostal. Each heated (!!) albergue dorm room could hold 4 pilgrims with fresh linens on the bunks and a sleek toilet/shower adjacent. The bar/dining room was popular with locals as well as visiting hunters; meals were copious, tasty and good value.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Hontanas
El Puntido albergue

photo taken November 9, 2014

Hontanas, 2014.jpg

Mud had prevailed on the solitary/slippery/cold trudge to Hontanas. Only the private El Puntido albergue was open where I was alone in this well heated dorm. After a hot shower I took a siesta and slept until breakfast!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
19th June 2022. Capela da Magdalena, Ventas de Naron on a rainy day. Former hospital of the Knights Templar. The Romanesque building was built 720m forward of the present building, in the last third of the 13thC. At the end of the 19thC, after the confiscation period, the building collapsed and part of the stones were used by the neighbours to erect the Chapel at its present location. Some Templar crosses can be seen on the stones of the south facade and the belfry.

18320899-2441-4BB8-9F33-51E5018050C9.jpeg

While we were planning the Lana, we read an alarming post reporting that some of the waymarks near Alatoz had been painted over by vandals. As we approached Alatoz, we saw this. Later, we were sitting in the town square in Alatoz enjoying a post walk beer when we were accosted by the president of the local association, most apologetic because the albergue was being renovated and was therefore closed, but not to worry, he said, they'd also arranged for the casa rural to let us stay for 10 euros each. He also apologised most profusely because some of the waymarks didn't have yellow arrows on them. Apparently, they'd gone out to paint the trademark blue rectangles first and were waiting for the paint to dry before they did the arrows. Then it had rained.

P1020955.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Hontanas
El Puntido albergue

photo taken November 9, 2014
I stayed here too and really enjoyed it. The warmth and coziness must have been so welcome in November! The promise of coolness and coziness kept me walking in July, when I was tired and almost ready to give up. I am so pleased to know they provide in all seasons. ☀️ 🌧️ El Puntido is a truly wonderful place.

Hontanas_El Puntido.JPG

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
April 25, 2018, CF
Leaving Carrion de Los Condes in the dark

B99C382E-0C87-472A-8350-0E8A877ED191.jpeg

Unable to find any markers through the town, I followed two men from Croatia into a cafe for breakfast, then they led me to this point. They said that they were walking 40 km a day, so I thanked them for their kindness and they ran off into the darkness.

€60,-

€149,-
Camino Frances
Fromista
Canala de Castilla Esclusa cuádruple

November 12, 2014

Canala de Castilla.JPG

Constructed 1753 -1849 to transport wheat by barge, the Canala de Castilla was popular
1850 -1870 and declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1991. Canalside pathways now are used for recreation; sections of the canal flow past sections of the CF. This view shows the huge Fromista locks.

Camino Frances
Fromista
Canala de Castilla Esclusa cuádruple

November 12, 2014

View attachment 136767

Constructed 1753 -1849 to transport wheat by barge, the Canala de Castilla was popular
1850 -1870 and declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1991. Canalside pathways now are used for recreation; sections of the canal flow past sections of the CF. This view shows the huge Fromista locks.
The camino de Madrid also follows it for a while. One branch starts in Medina del Rioseco. It was a great idea but not a commercial success, mainly because they dilly-dallied about having to overcome local politics until by the time it was built, some thoughtless entrepreneurs had built a railway. Having stayed in the on/off monastery, we walked along the banks in the late summer, early dawn, September 2018.DSC04452.JPG

The camino de Madrid also follows it for a while. One branch starts in Medina del Rioseco. It was a great idea but not a commercial success, mainly because they dilly-dallied about having to overcome local politics until by the time it was built, some thoughtless entrepreneurs had built a railway. Having stayed in the on/off monastery, we walked along the banks in the late summer, early dawn, September 2018.View attachment 136768
dick bird,
Thanks for the info and atmospheric photo. Did you stay in the Albergue del Monasterio de Santa Clara?

€149,-
Camino Frances
Carrion de los Caminos
Refugio Santa Clara

photo taken November 13, 2014

Real Monasterio Santa Clara.jpg

The pilgrim Refugio Santa Clara is part of the historic Real Monasterio Santa Clara; St Francis of Assisi during his early 13th c. pilgrimage to Santiago is said to have stopped in this monastery.

23rd, June, 2022. After Monte de Gozo, approaching Santiago with a stream of pilgrims.
As well as arriving safely to Santiago, the other wonderful thing about this day was meeting up with some of our pilgrim family at Monte de Gozo!
A young family from USA, husband, wife and their five month old daughter and three year old son, who we first met at Auberge Borda on our first night! We had managed to bump into them a number of times along the way. So there was a long reunion this time, it was great to see them on our last day walking the Frances. They had walked the whole way with the children, pushing their double stroller!
Unfortunately don’t have their permission to post photos.
F1D5D42A-9A52-46CA-8501-E5A143513073.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
May 13, 2018 Santiago de Compostela
View from my window at San Martin Pinario

View attachment 136848
San Martin Pinario used to be one of the best kept open secrets on the camino. Now it is booked solid months in advance. View from our room the last time we stayed there in October 2018.

DSC04994.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back