• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Real Monasterio de Santa María de Guadalupe (home of "la Reina de la Hispanidad"). Camino Mozárabe de Guadalupe, 14 November, 2016.

View attachment 136887

I had a most memorable stay and dinner at their Hospederia.
Still have the cookery book I bought there.

And a private Mass given by a German priest who was also travelling through Extremadura. The priest was given permission to use the church after closing time. So it was him and just my partner and I.
Of course no pictures seeing I felt it was inappropiate but special it was!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
25th, June, 2022. On our third evening in Santiago after walking the Frances, we were very lucky to come across this free concert in Alameda Park given by the University of Puerto Rico Tuna. It was excellent and luckily the rain stayed away although it was quite a cool evening.
C8AE326A-5112-4720-BFCC-FEDB73236EE1.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Mansilla de las Mulas
municipal albergue

November 17, 2014

Mansilla de las Mulas 17,11,2014.jpg

Although a cold wind was blowing through Mansilla de las Mulas I was warmly greeted once again at this municipal albergue where the welcoming hospitalera, Laura, in her distinctive way had created with much ambiance and soul a pilgrim home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
26th, June, 2022. The walking continues! Onto Muxia and Finisterre.
Two photos today, first leaving Santiago and second on the way to Negreira, possibly before the steep uphill climb to Alto do Mar de Ovellas , after Augapesada, going by the time the photo was taken! We decided to call our walks this year the Hydrangea walks, we saw them nearly every day we walked in Spain, they were many, varied and beautiful.
D5C682E6-7F2E-41CD-ABA0-A2AF75B722E2.jpeg8CAC960D-ECC3-4AB9-AFE6-A13B661E3D0D.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
CF July 21, 2019: Just before this amazing sunrise, I left Carrion de los Condos in the darkness. My eyes adjusted to what light was available to me. I was startled by a loud rustling in the bushes across the road. My heart jumped, I froze in place. I didn't know what kind of beast was going to eat me alive. 😳 Whatever it was ran next to me, around the front of me into the open field to my right. It was then I was able to see their silhouette running across the field. Two deer having a morning romp. 😂 Wow, what a fright. Very exhilarating. ☺️ 🥰
4BCFDCB6-1583-4BB8-96A7-DA821A074BF4.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
27th, June, 2022. The very poignant emigration statue as you are leaving Negreira. Sorry two photos again today but of the same statue!
View attachment 137012View attachment 137013
You need to see both sides of this statue for it to make any sense. It commemorates the many thousands of Galicians who left to search for a better life. Some found one, some didn't.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Villarente
November 18, 2014

Villarente, bridges.jpg

What a relief it was to stroll across the Porma river on a traffic free wooden way! This new pedestrian bridge replaced any need to walk on that distant bridge which was too narrow for two lanes of N 601 traffic plus pedestrians.

April 21, 2022 - On the ramparts of the citadel in Povoa de Varzim on the Camino Portugués. My favorite photo of that Camino, my granddaughter and me enjoying each other's company and sharing a Camino. She was a joy to walk with and we now have a special bond.

de31d4dc-375b-406f-a9d9-39d35db20fc8.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Villar de Mazarife

photo taken November 19, 2014

Villar de Mazarife.jpg

When staying at the comfy Tio Pepe albergue facing this parish church watching those nearby storks provided welcome amusement; I was apparently the only pilgrim patron who had walked the alternative camino route that cold November day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yesterday while looking through my photos I realized that I had taken these two from more or less the same viewpoint, between Villamayor de Monjardin and Los Arcos. The comparison emphasizes how different the visual experience can be, depending on the season.
Photos taken September 21, 2015 and March 28, 2022.

491B74B8-43CF-4B79-B991-5CB6D9563C7A.pngB4451456-9C96-4F09-AABB-79272B990153.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Hospital de Órbigo

November 20, 2014

Hospital de Órbigo 20,11,2014%0A.jpg

Crossing the famous Hospital de Orbigo bridge I was stricken with "Delhi belly" and needed privacy fast! The nearest open door was at the casa rurale Nuestra Senora de Lourdes. A cozy single room with private loo/shower was immediately accessible!! ...This lucky find was another example of camino serendipity.!

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
northwest of Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias
and east of San Justo de la Vega

photo taken November 21, 2014

nw of Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias.jpg

Each time I hiked past this rigid fellow his clothes and kit had changed. Since this was shot during my last full CF I wonder what is he wearing now?

Each time I hiked past this rigid fellow his clothes and kit had changed. Since this was shot during my last full CF I wonder what is he wearing now?

My husband saw him this June and thought it was a pilgrim-astronaut! Totally new kit and clothes, including a silver thermal blanket and a helmet. He looked ready for launch! (Will try and post the 2022 sighting after fixing formatting issues)

The last time I saw him, below in 2007, my interpretation was "pilgrim-scarecrow." Always been so curious about this, thanks so much for mentioning it.

pilgrim scraecrow.JPG

EDIT: Here's the new outfit as of June 2022. It might actually be more "space cowboy" (like the US sci-fi show Firefly, or the Japanese anime Cowboy Bebop) than traditional astronaut, but with a little imagination... :)

pilgrim_monument.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How did I miss him?!? It doesn't say much about my powers of observation.

Who knows why, but after Santibanez, this bridge always sticks in my memory:
View attachment 137209
VNwalking,
I believe your shot is the bridge aside N120a /aka the Calle Real which leads into Astorga.

Another unforgettable one is this bizarre pedestrian bridge at the CF entrance to the city? Whenever I entered Astorga on the CF this muti ramped structure hardly seemed a fitting entrance for such an ancient historic city.

Last edited:
Another unforgettable one is this bizarre pedestrian bridge at the CF entrance to the city? Whenever I entered Astorga on the CF this muti ramped structure hardly seemed a fitting entrance for such an ancient historic city.
Yes, forget that! I follow the local unofficial footpath across the railroad tracks. Not suggesting anyone else do that, mind. . .
IMG_8010.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband saw him this June and thought it was a pilgrim-astronaut! Totally new kit and clothes, including a silver thermal blanket and a helmet. He looked ready for launch! (Will try and post the 2022 sighting after fixing formatting issues)

The last time I saw him, below in 2007, my interpretation was "pilgrim-scarecrow." Always been so curious about this, thanks so much for mentioning it.

View attachment 137197

EDIT: Here's the new outfit as of June 2022. It might actually be more "space cowboy" (like the US sci-fi show Firefly, or the Japanese anime Cowboy Bebop) than traditional astronaut, but with a little imagination... :)

View attachment 137202
Here’s ours from the 8th, June, 2022. We didn’t get any closer because others had already stopped at the resting place.
B63E24F1-7DC0-4952-8419-601C5F6C7A31.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Murias de Rechivaldo
Iglesia de San Esteban

November 22, 2014

Murias de Rechivaldo, Iglesia.jpg

After re-admiring the Iglesia de San Esteban I stopped once again for a second breakfast at the nearby Casa Botas, plaza Mayor, 4; this basic authentic pilgrim spot always offered a big welcome and hot fresh toastadas....In contrast much of the once simple hamlet is now "suburban chic".

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
Rabanal del Camino
albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar

November 23, 2014

Rabanal del Camino 23,11,2014.jpg

On a frigid day I had hoped to stay in the albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar; however, the notice on the locked door read cerrado excepcionalmente!
Luckily the hospitalera's mother recalled my earlier visits and kindly offered within her house sleeping space where a portable heater, plus flannel sheets provided cozy comfort. ...Her special kindness is another example of camino serendipity and caritas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some days on the Lana we saw more deer than people. Generally they would bound out of sight before I could get my camera out of my pocket, but this doe seemed to be either unusually unconcerned by our presence. Then we noticed the little fawn following her. 27 May 22 between Aragosa and Siquenza.

P1030351.JPGP1030349.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Cruz de Ferro

November 24, 2014

Cruz de Ferro  2014.jpg

When pausing at Foncebadon for tea I met a pilgrim who worked in Indonesia and we walked together to the Cruz de Ferro where she kindly took my photo. No one else was on the trail.

Last edited:
2nd, July, 2022. Lires to Finisterre. Beautiful coastal walk. We took various spectacular and precipitous alternative paths to be closer to the sea and possibly some we shouldn’t have taken, as we had a little trouble getting back on to the correct path to Finisterre but after some cross country walking we made it!

6E0D9AB0-07A1-45BB-89EE-C2011848FDE2.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€46,-
An interesting spot on the Camino San Olav, behind the ugly capela and headed up to the top of the ridge on the way to Mambrillas de Lara (walking toward Burgos). It was steep and rocky, but easy enough to navigate going uphill. I was glad not to be going in the other direction.
IMG_1317.JPG

Camino Primitivo. August 5, 2013. Walking through Vilabade - view from the portico of the beautiful Iglesia de Santa María de Vilabade.

DSC08128.JPG.jpeg

€60,-
Camino Invierno
Las Médulas

photos taken November 26, 2014

Las Médulas, a magnificent gold mine dating from Roman times, is marked by distinctive red-orange cones, channels, and caves.

Las Médulas, cone detail.jpg

From a viewing platform looking directly onto one huge cone of this UNESCO World Heritage site at the center of what appearrs to be a dark "eye" is another viewing platform reached by a curved underground tunnel.

interior Las Médulas.jpg

Although, then trepidacious, in retrospect I am glad I followed the path and took this shot. ...Thankfully these photos remain as mementos of that amazing, almost surreal, landscape!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Ruitelán
Pequeño Potala refugio

photo taken November 27, 2014

Ruitelán.jpg

My new pilgrim friend and I shared a tasty copious evening meal at the peaceful Pequeño Potala refugio. As always it was a pleasure to return once again to relax and regain energy for the next day's big climb to O Cebreiro.

Camino Frances
O Cebreiro

photo taken November 28, 2014

O Cebreiro 28.11.2014.jpg

Amidst mist and heavy rain this 10th climb to the mystic/mythic hamlet of
O Cebreiro had been exhausting. Beneath the broad arch of the church porch my view was colored sepia; few pilgrims were about.
I was very thankful to have arrived at such a beloved place and just to be.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back