• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is on one of the many Jakobswege (Ways of St. James) in Germany:
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
It still has fully intact city walls and maintains its medieval character throughout the old town.
In front of the 14th century main church, St. Jakob, there is a pilgrim statue and from there you have a choice of two routes to walk on to Santiago de Compostela.
Photos taken in February, 2021.

IMG_6676.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Sahagun
municipal Albergue Cluny

February 11, 2008

Sahagun.jpg

This clever contemporary metal sculpture of Saint James dressed as a pilgram (his head is a garden spade) marked the entrance to the municipal Albergue Cluny which is in the repurposed ex-Iglesia de la Trinidad..

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
October 19, 2019
Convento de Santa Clara, Vila do Conde

A99F38C5-A48A-4919-9308-B00CEEC93EBD.jpeg

After a pleasant stay at the albergue Santa Clara, I left Vila do Conde to cross over to the central route. Not a long walk, but it poured with rain all the way!
As soon as it opened, I checked into the welcoming donativo albergue in São Pedro de Rates with a few other drenched pilgrims. There was lots of room to drape our soaked clothing, and a drying rack with a powerful heater underneath was provided to dry out all our boots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Mansilla de las Mulas
municipal albergue

February 13, 2008

Mansilla de Las Mulas.jpg

Camino life might be described
as akin to boot camp! As rookies we gain endurance plus tenacity while trusting personal gear and motivation. Most importantly we re-connect with others sharing both philosophic and geographic ways. Battered but proud of what has been accomplished we then belong to a very special group, our fellow pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Detail of albergue Los Blasones in Sarria. 2011.

Sarria.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
Santa Catalina de Somoza

February 17, 2008

Santa Catalina de Somoza.jpg

When arriving at Santa Catalina de Somoza it was always a pleasure to glimpse the church tower.

17.02.2008.jpg

The distinctive tower shape/bells were repeated on the stamp of the small private albergue hospederia San Blas, calle Real, 11. Clean, cheap, friendly, and heated (!!) this was a perfect place to stop/eat/stay on a cold February day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There I was today, trying in vain to get to the end of a filing job on my ipad, when I came across some photos from CF 2006. It strikes me this is El Acebo. A pair of miners who were having the time of their lives had hearty breakfasts which we also asked for, but we did stop short of the licor they had to chase it all down!
1676671231944.jpeg
If this is not El Acebo, do correct me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My filing is abysmal. However, I have a ping that this could be somewhere very close to the albergue in or around Montes de Oca, where there is a kind of board game on the ground, and there is a figure of a pilgrim sitting in a hallway, just before a set of stairs. Sleuths, off you go!
(I have other photos of myself eyeing the ups and downs of that set of ascents and descents, ruefully...)
1676798138324.jpeg

Last edited:
The first glimpse of Santiago de Compostela as you approach on the Camino Portugués.
Still a good 1.5 hours to walk though, as the path first takes you down into the valley and zig-zags quite a bit before leading you up into the city center and on to the cathedral.
September, 2022

Santiago.jpeg

€149,-
Some of you posting to this thread or reading it may remember a photo thread some years ago with a Camino theme of "Where was this taken". Anybody, but especially those people, will want to look at the pictures submitted to this man and the ones he posts back.

Screenshot_20230219-165516.png

Camino Frances
Ponferrada
Calle Obispo Camilo Lorenzo
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen

February 20, 2008

Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen.jpg

The Capilla is adjacent to the San Nicolas de Flüe albergue. I visited it while waiting for the albergue to open. This new painting within the dome was a splendid surprise.
These archives discuss the history of the site and the complex iconography of the vibrant 1999 painting.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
Ponferrada
Calle Obispo Camilo Lorenzo
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen

February 20, 2008

View attachment 141914

The Capilla is adjacent to the San Nicolas de Flüe albergue. I visited it while waiting for the albergue to open. This new painting within the dome was a splendid surprise.
These archives discuss the history of the site and the complex iconography of the vibrant 1999 painting.

Thanks for the memory.

I was a hospie at San Nicolas de Flüe in 2002. I would sit in chapel during quiet times enjoying the peace and quiet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking through the door to the interior courtyard and cloister of Monastica Pax, Leon. In 2014 we stayed in the Albergue Santa Maria de Carbajal, last year we stayed next door in the Hotel Monastica Pax. They have very comfortable rooms for pilgrims, which cost a little bit less than their normal rooms we think.
We did go to Vespers both times but we were very fortunate last year to be invited with others to join in the welcoming of a new young postulant Cristina. We started in the cloisters and joined in the candlelit procession, then into the Chapel for Vespers. June, 2022.
388F1419-6020-4DEC-8707-36FF09795189.jpeg

€83,-
An albergue garden with a view
at Albergue Nuestra Señora del Camino in Combarro,
Camino Portugués, Variante Espiritual.

I was the only guest at this excellent albergue in September 2022. A friendly welcome, modern, spotless facilities, fresh sheets and towels, a comfortable lounge room and this beautiful garden – a really nice place for a good rest.

Combarro.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Ruitelan
Pequeno Potala refugio

February 22, 2008

Ruitelan, sign.jpg

As always the Pequena Potala was a haven of caritas. All was calm, immaculate and welcoming. On a simple interior wall hung a wooden cross, pictures of the Dalai Lama and a card hand lettered, shalom, the Hebrew word for peace....Long may it be so.

€149,-
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
church interior

February 23, 2008

O Cebreiro, candles.jpg

Within the dim church interior many candles were flickering; overcome with emotion I sat in the back of the nave and silently gave thanks for being able to climb here once again.

Last edited:

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€60,-
Vilanova de Arousa
Camino Portugués, Variante Espiritual
Sept. 2022

IMG_8879.jpeg
At my albergue they said the washer was free, but they didn't tell me it wouldn't spin!
So there I was with a load of soaking wet clothes and nowhere to hang them to dry, as there was no patio or garden space. So I took everything a few blocks to the sea front, put up my clothesline and sat and rested for about two hours on a bench while my clothes and I enjoyed the breeze and afternoon sun. More than one passers-by gave me an amused look.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back