• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We saw this interesting door in the morning after we left Casa de Jesus, Villar de Mazarife, heading to Hospital de Orbigo, just a short day. June, 2022.
View attachment 142114
@Anne&Pat The door caught my eye too! I did a bit of research on it a while back. This house was the final studio and home of the Leonese artist / sculptor Luis López Casado, also known as Monseñor, who died in 2009. His home is now a museum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a part of the track on the Voie du Littorale, which runs parallel to the 200km long beach of Les Landes in SW France. This part utilises the original German motorcycle track connecting defensive positions of the Atlantic Wall in WW2. It is only about a metre wide.
IMG_7709 3.jpeg IMG_7694 2.jpeg June 2018

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Santiago de Compostela
Praza de Fonseca, 5
Libredon Barbantes hostal

March 3-4, 2008

Santiago, Libredon Barbantes, interior .jpgSantiago, Libredon Barbantes, detail .jpg

From my cosy attic room's ceiling window when seeing the Torre da Berenguela as well as hearing the great bells chime; I felt as if that belltower view and those sounds were mine alone!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Foncebadon
Monte Irago albergue
blizzard

photo taken March 4, 2009

Foncebadon 04.03.2009.jpg

Fourteen yeqrs ago today I took this photo through an icy albergue window as proof of the blizzard which obliterated the nearby landscape in deep snow. My diary/blog describes this 3 day 2009 storm spent snowbound sharing albergue warmth and camaraderie.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Believed to have been carved over 4,000 years ago at the beginning of the Bronze-Age, these petroglyphs can be found on the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portugués.

Petroglifo das Forcadas.jpeg Petroglifo Outeiro do Cribo.jpeg

The "Petroglifo das Forcadas" (left) is in Campañó, while the "Petroglifo Outeiro do Cribo" (right) is a short climb off-camino in the woods on the way to Armenteira.
Photos taken in September, 2022.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
March 26, 2022
Iglesia de Santiago, Puente la Reina

View attachment 142685
Interesting how well-preserved the carved details are on the right hand side, while centuries of rain and hail storms have almost erased everything on the left. Bad weather tends to always come from the same direction.

Camino Finisterre
Finisterre

March 8, 2008

Finisterre, the last boot.jpg

By the sculpted last boot on the rocks the sea was the color of pewter and the clouds above dove gray. After sitting here for a long time while silently saying my thanks, I walked slowly back to town. ... My 4th camino was over.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
towards Vézelay
near Villenauxe-la-Grande, France

photo taken November 22, 2008

near Villenauxe-la-Grande.JPG

Autumn 2008 I walked 220 km. from our farmhouse on the Marne River to Vézelay. The cold was bitter but the sun was bright on local paths/roads through wood and open farmland.

Interesting how well-preserved the carved details are on the right hand side, while centuries of rain and hail storms have almost erased everything on the left. Bad weather tends to always come from the same direction.

That is a really interesting observation, thank you! In this photo from 2007, the erosion pattern can also be seen. I never thought to look for it before you mentioned it, but now I can see it too.

puenta la reina.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the most beautiful albergue gardens I encountered on the Camino Francés.
Boadilla del Camino, albergue "En el Camino", June 2017.

View attachment 142748
Quite! The effect, pushing open the door, was magical! The experience (2006) was such a treat, starting with the superb accommodation for €5.00, sheets included, spotless shower and loo facilities, the kidney shaped pool, the offer of a communal meal... thanks for the memories!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
towards Vèzelay
Auxerre, France
Cathédrale Saint Étienne

photo taken November 28, 2008

Auxerre.jpg

The cathedral city of Auxerre is the departure point for an historical walking route/ l'ancienne route d'Auxerre á Vézelay crossing Burgundian farmland/vineyards southeast to the Abbey at Vézelay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A real breakfast on the Meseta from 2019 and again in 2022...View attachment 142863
Welcome Greg to this thread. Your photo is very appetising but it took a long time to load. If you wouldn’t mind posting thumbnail photos instead because of the number of photos on this thread for ease of loading.
Buen Camino.

Vézelay, France
Basilique

photo taken December 4, 2008

Vezelay.jpg

Entering the light of the ambulatory I was silently thankful to simply be after walking from home.
Vezelay Abbey and la colline éternelle
have been a love of mine for 50+ years. Romanesque, Gothic, and 19th c. intervention form timeless beauty here; eternal peace is melded with man-made perfection.

...May this magnificent site always endure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Guchan, France
view south towards Spain

January 2012

Guchan mountain magic.jpg

Guchan, a handsome mountain village in the Hautes-Pyrénées, is on the French hiking route GR105 which crosses the valley of the river Aure between Lortet and Port d'Ouridissétou where it connects with Spanish caminos leading towards Santiago.

Dis you stay there that time? Was it doable regarding hygiene because I know it is sometimes hit and miss with this place.
Yes, I did stay there. I didn’t notice anything amiss regarding cleanliness, but I didn’t take a shower because it was freezing cold that day, inside and outside, and I couldn’t bring myself to strip down!

April 2014. Camino Ingles. Pension Bar Luis in Pontedeume.
When you do not have a clothingline but only a safetypin and a shutter.

View attachment 142970
We stayed there in July, 2022. We found a Lavanderia just down the road and round the corner, on the main road through town, so we didn’t need to use the shutters.
But we did in Salas in Albergue Valle de Nonaya. Socks etc along the window ledges and hanging on small lines outside the window. Then we had a storm later in the day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cordes-sur-Ciel, France

January 2012

Cordes sur Ciel .jpg

The French hiking route GR46 passes through Cordes-sur-Ciel, as it meanders sw towards Toulouse. After taking this view I ate in an upmarket resto wearing my camino winter garb and shell. When the owner's teenage daughter dubiously asked "Madame êtes-vous une pèlerine?" I nodded yes and togther we sat by the blazing fireplace to plot/plan her future camino. .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Toulouse, France
Basilique Saint-Sernin

photo taken January 6, 2012

Toulouse.jpg

Toulouse, is located almost midway on the 800 km Via Tolosana/Voie d'Arles aka the French hiking route GR653 which connects Arles to the Col du Somport. This view of the Basilique Saint-Sernin was taken from the rue Saint-Bernard looking west towards the chevet, the exterior area behind the main altar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Toulouse, France
Basilique Saint-Sernin
la porte Miégeville, detail

photo taken January 6, 2012

Basilique Saint-Sernin, detail.jpg

This slightly salacious carving adorns
la porte Miégeville whuch was named after its location facing the center of the city, "mièjo vilo" in the local Occitan language.

24 March 2018

Another example of a sign that didn't quite sit right for an English speaker. A clothes shop in Tokushima, Japan. Seen while walking the Shikoku 88 temple circuit. Who knew that special clothing was required?

View attachment 143072
One of the coolest things to see is Japanese and Spanish cultures finding common ground over pilgrimage. When we saw a Basque flag in Tokyo, it was a very unusual and happy moment, and it was definitely tied to the Camino.

Last edited:
La Charité-sur-Loire, France
Église Notre-Dame

photo taken January 2013

La Charité sur Loire.jpg

Located on a section of the Chemin de Saint Jacques sw of Vèzelay/east of Bourges the town, La Charité-sur-Loire, is named after a vast Cluniac monastery founded in 1059 and greatly destroyed during medieval wars and a 16th c. fire. This church was part of that monastery.

Camino Frances
Villamayor de Monjardin
Iglesia de San Andrés Apóstol
capital, detail

photo taken October 25, 2014

Villamayor de Monjardin, church, 25.10.2014.jpg

This Romanesque capital which depicts fighting knights is said to represent Charlemagne and a Navarrese prince. While regarding this chivalric image I remember the sincere camino caritas felt here many years ago.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back