• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On this day in 2019...this is from the dormitory in Monasterio de Santa Maria de Valdedios.
I love this picture because it screams "haunted orphanage", but in fact, this was a great place to stay. It's in an amazing old monastery that once house hundreds of monks, but is now held together by a handful of nuns. Also, at 6 euro per night, it's the best deal in Europe.
monasterio.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Six years ago today: CF DAY 21
The first sunrays illuminated the town hall clock tower as I started my walk out of Carrión de los Condes just before 7 a.m.
Picture taken on June 5, 2017

Carrión de los Condes.jpeg

Camino Frances
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
rue d'Espagne
view east

photo taken October 13, 2015

Saint Jean Pied de Port.jpg

Looking east across the Nive Béhérobie from rue d'Espagne ie. the Camino Frances. Many pilgrims miss this view since they hurry west on the CF and never look back.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Six years ago today: CF DAY 22
Approaching the village of San Nicolás del Real Camino, just after Moratinos. I later stopped in Sahagún and had a look around town before walking on to the simple municipal albergue of Calzada del Coto. There was a lovely Italian hospitalero welcoming me. Later I was happy to see some dear camino friends arriving as well.
Picture taken on June 6, 2017

San Nicolás del Real Camino.jpeg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
route d'Arnéguy/D933
turn towards Valcarlos alternate route

photo taken October 14, 2015

turn towards Valcarlos.jpg

The last time I crossed route D933 leaving Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port the signage seemed too minimal at this important turn towards the Valcarlos alternate route.

Six years ago today: CF DAY 23
On the way to Bercianos del Real Camino there is this stainless steel structure. I have always wondered if there was any special meaning to it, maybe a marking of the half-way point of the Camino through Spain. Today I googled it, and it turns out to be a piece of art by Carlos A. Cuenllas that forms part of a project called Museo sin Muros (Museum without walls), according to this article from 2003.
Picture taken on June 7, 2017

near Bercianos del Real Camino.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Valcarlos alternate route
Arnéguy

photo taken October 15, 2014

Arneguy, marker.jpg

At the Arnéguy Venta shopping complex on the Spanish/French border this older stelle frames a newer sign pointing to the camino path towards Valcarlos, Ibaneta, and Roncesvalles.

Six years ago today: CF DAY 24
Whenever I look at this photo of the highway overpass just before León, I vividly remember how exhausted I felt that day. Nothing about the stage from Reliegos to León was especially difficult, but still I felt I had no strength left. Somehow I managed to keep going for those last kilometers into the city where an albergue bed was waiting for me at centrally located León Hostel.
Picture taken on June 8, 2017

León.jpeg

Valcarlos/Luzaide
view to France

photo taken October 16, 2012

from Valcarlos,towards France 16.10.2012.jpg

This mountain landscape was shot from Valcarlos/Luzaide, Spain, towards the facing slope in Ondarolle, France. Hidden within the foreground trees is the rio Luzaide/ la nive Arnéguy, which since the 17th c. Treaty of the Pyrenées serves here as the border between Spain and France.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
June 8, 2012
Curpillos festival, Burgos

MayJune2012 301.JPG MayJune2012 313.JPG MayJune2012 315.JPG

After leaving the Camino Frances due to injuries, we ended our time as tourists in Burgos. What a fun surprise awaited! In addition to the magnificent procession, a festive atmosphere reigned in the park: grilling, music, and natural “fluff” from trees that looked like snow. (We returned in Fall 2012 to complete the walk from Pamplona to Burgos, this time successfully.)

Six years ago today: CF DAY 25
This was a rest day in León, so I could recover and enjoy this beautiful city.
Today's photo was taken at Plaza del Grano and shows the church of Santa María del Camino under an impeccable blue sky.
Picture taken on June 9, 2017

León.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April 27, 2022 Camino Invierno
I had a rest day in Monforte de Lemos and went to the top of the Monte. Lovely views of the city from the winding way up the hill, atop which is a Parador. The view through this old door was a glimpse of the old ways up the hill for the peasants who came to pay homage to the Count of Lemos in his tower.

FAB38634-CB18-4A4F-82E3-7BD16F624928.jpeg

Ibaneta pass

photo taken February 7, 2007

Ibaneta pass.jpg

On my 3rd CF in sleet/light snow walking the route N135 verges I had slowly climbed the 1057m. Ibaneta pass; the Valcarlos alternate path through the wood had become too slick to follow. Whatever the weather It was always a great joy/relief to crest that pass.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Six years ago today: CF DAY 27
From the Crucero de Santo Toribio you can see Astorga in the distance.
I sometimes wonder about the stories behind all those stones and other mementos people leave along the camino.
Pictures taken on June 11, 2017

Crucero de Santo Toribio.png

Six years ago today: CF DAY 27
From the Crucero de Santo Toribio you can see Astorga in the distance.
I sometimes wonder about the stories behind all those stones and other mementos people leave along the camino.
Pictures taken on June 11, 2017

View attachment 149038

March 2017.
I had the place all to myself.Met an older local priest there who at times helped to maintain the site.
He had studied for some years at my old uni in Belgium and we had a nice chat about that.
Ir was also my final walking day seeing I had to give up due to a knee injury.

March 2017.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
March 2017.
I had the place all to myself.Met an older local priest there who at times helped to maintain the site.
He had studied for some years at my old uni in Belgium and we had a nice chat about that.
Ir was also my final walking day seeing I had to give up due to a knee injury.

View attachment 149041
yes I get up early :p

Attachments

• IMG_5125.JPG
    IMG_5125.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This looked mostly similar in July 2007, but it is always interesting to see small changes over time! :)

View attachment 149112
Sept '22 Cowboy Bar was shut ( it was early) but I did notice in 1st photo, some others had pitched tee pees at El Ganso

Attachments

• DSCN2933.JPG
    DSCN2933.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2934.JPG
    DSCN2934.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Zubiri
calle Puente de la Rabia, 4

photo taken January 9, 2010

snowy Zubiri.jpg

Via route N135 I descended alone through snow to Zubiri where only the Pension Usoa was open; this view was taken through a window from the warmth of their interior that cold January afternoon.

March 2017. Towards Villar de Mazarife.
No other pilgrim to be seen.
At the albergue Tio Pepe there was one other person staying that night.

Towards Villar de Mazarife.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Six years ago today: CF DAY 30
The descent from El Acebo was steep but didn't pose any major problem on that dry and sunny day.
In Molinaseca I had a rest and a second breakfast before walking on. This is where people can take a swim in the Río Meruelo if so inclined, although I guess the water must be quite cold coming down from the surrounding mountains.
Picture taken on June 14, 2017

Molinaseca.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Six years ago today: CF DAY 31
Somehow I missed the right turn towards Valtuille de Arriba and thus approached Villafranca del Bierzo more from the southeast. Shortly after leaving the LE-713 there was this piece of land full of sculptures, in the middle of nowhere.
Pictures taken on June 15, 2017

towards Villafranca del Bierzo-1.jpeg towards Villafranca del Bierzo-2.jpeg

€46,-
Six years ago today: CF DAY 31
Somehow I missed the right turn towards Valtuille de Arriba and thus approached Villafranca del Bierzo more from the southeast. Shortly after leaving the LE-713 there was this piece of land full of sculptures, in the middle of nowhere.
Pictures taken on June 15, 2017

View attachment 149294 View attachment 149295
Yoyo,
Check out what fellow forum member wrote here re these sculptrures after I had asked about them earlier.

Last edited:

€149,-
Camino Frances
Larrasoaña
municipal albergue

photo taken February 9, 2007

Larrasoaña.JPG

Since in winter no shop/resto nearby this albergue was open two German pilgrims and I shared our slim rations for early "dinner". Their black bread/sausage tasted great with my cheese/cookies plus several mugs of hot tea.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yoyo,
Check out what fellow forum member wrote here re these sculptrures after I had asked about them earlier.
@mspath
I didn't see that post of yours at the time or I could have commented then.
You said you never came past that place ever again, so I guess you took the route via Valtuille de Arriba after Pieros on subsequent caminos, as did I on my second camino in 2019. And I found that to be the much nicer route, away from the road.
In Brierley's maps only guidebook, both alternatives are shown. The sculptures are on the grey dotted path, right after it veers off the red LE-713, but the yellow dotted path is the one most people seem to take.

Brierley map.JPG

Camino Frances
Irotz
Iglesia San Pedro

photo taken October 15, 2011

View attachment 149506

How many tired pilgrims have rested on these simple benches fronting the Iglesia San Pedro on the south bank of the rio Arga?

We took this photo on 12th, May, 2022, especially for you Margaret, because you had mentioned it on this thread many months ago, probably when we were all still in COVID lockdown!
IMG_3976.jpeg

€46,-
Towards Pancorbo. I loved that etapa!
Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Towards Pancorbo.jpg

Six years ago today: CF DAY 34
Here's one of my favourite camino animal photos, taken between Fonfría and Triacastela early in the morning, when the sun had not yet reached this side of the mountain.
Picture taken on June 18, 2017

Galician cows.jpeg

€83,-
Camino Frances
near Puente de Irotz

photos taken January 28, 2009

Arga River 28. 01.2009.jpg

As I took this rain-soaked view of the overflowing Arga river a slim local fellow appeared who had come to see the roiling water. Kindly sharing his large open umbrella he then led me via a safe path to the Trinidad de Arre monastery.

Trinidad de Arre 2009.jpg

....I fondly remember his resourcefullness as akin to that of a helpful Narnia faun!

View of Pancorbo, taken from our hostalroom. 2019.
The hostal gets mixed reviews being a noisy roadside place but we had a room at the backside and we were very comfortable.
They serve a very decent menu del dia. Packed with locals on a Sunday.

Pancorbo.jpg

Six years ago today: CF DAY 35
Access to Portomarín over the bridge and then up the stairs, what can be a challenge after a long day of walking!
It seems we walked here almost exactly on the same date, although in different years, @Anne&Pat, as your post yesterday featured this bridge, too.
Picture taken on June 19, 2017.|

Portomarín.jpeg

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back