• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Continuing our wonderful sharing on a new thread. (Haha, please don't feel shy to post here again today even if you already posted in the other thread! And don't worry about repeating yourself — none of us are the same people we were 6 months ago nor do we have the same eyes.)

Today's choice is inspired by @JohnLloyd's shadowplay yesterday:
View media item 6939

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haha, please don't feel shy to post here again today even if you already posted in the other thread!
Okay then. Here's a picture of the bottle of cava we had for New Year's Eve, the one I just mentioned in my last post in the last thread. I brought it down to what is usually our beach to match my last picture but, as you can see, the beach is hiding under the river and the river is trying to hide under the ice.
bottle-on-ice.jpg
Peg had corked up the bottle and placed it in the refrigerator last night after I had gone to bed. She didn't notice that I had finished it. I guess that means I can claim that I'm not too greedy as obviously she had enough.

Let's all have a much better year this year.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A First Day hike to get us back on track walking more regularly so we are ready to walk a camino when possible. It was pouring rain and slippery- brought back memories of both our Coastal Portugues and Vasco. We did however get to finally test rain gear purchased last Jan. They passed the test- we are ready.
1609540896291.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Continuing our wonderful sharing on a new thread. (Haha, please don't feel shy to post here again today even if you already posted in the other thread! And don't worry about repeating yourself — none of us are the same people we were 6 months ago nor do we have the same eyes.)

Today's choice is inspired by @JohnLloyd's shadowplay yesterday:
View media item 6939
Food of the gods, Porto, September 2019IMG_5886 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
During the video tour that Ivar gave us of the cathedral, I noticed the new very plain blonde wood pews that I assume are meant to better match the glorious bright lightness of the restored interior. I only see them once every year or two :) but when I do visit, I will miss the aged patina of the old oak pews with their wonderfully detailed arms.

pews.jpg

Last edited:
During the video tour that Ivar gave us of the cathedral, I noticed the new very plain blonde wood pews that I assume are meant to better match the glorious bright lightness of the restored interior. I only see them once every year or two :) but when I do visit, I will miss the aged patina of the old oak pews with their wonderfully detailed arms.

View attachment 90519
Gorgeous craftsmanship!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gorgeous craftsmanship!
I just watched the program that Ivar posted about the restoration. At one point there was a close view of the new pews and they seem almost too plain - almost "unfinished". I wonder now if they are place holders and maybe the old pews are being cleaned and restored. Hopeful :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gaudí's Episcopal Palace in Astorga.
Q13700-HOR.jpg
Peg had tendonitis and was recovering in Astorga for a few days. We borrowed a wheelchair from the Red Cross with the help of the tourist bureau and Peg could sightsee with me. In the palace I carted the chair up the stairs while Peg hobbled up before plopping down in the chair again. As at home, the Red Cross got a good donation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gloomy, foggy day as I arrived into Castrojeriz.
It's so interesting to see other people's photos of the same place — with different weather, different seasons, different moods. I've passed this place three times, and each time it was new. Here it is on the last day of May, 2019:

20190531_133617 - Copy (2).jpg

It's so interesting to see other people's photos of the same place — with different weather, different seasons, different moods. I've passed this place three times, and each time it was new. Here it is on the last day of May, 2019:

VN, as I approached Castrojeriz, having started from Hontanas that morning, I was most keen to find a toilet and coffee (in that order). While I noticed both buildings at the time, it is only now sitting at my desk can I see, from your composition, a striking similarity in material and profile notwithstanding their different purposes.

Kia kaha

Gaudí's Episcopal Palace in Astorga.
I've made this observation before, but here goes again.

Having been a Gaudi fan for many years and having been to three of his stuff in Barcelona when on an enforced rest in May 2016 I was hell bent to ensure I was could spend time in and around this building.

As I understand it, the epicopus what commissioned dies before it was complete and the successors declined to spend even one night inside.

It was more of a riot of space and form than I had expected. In going around I became sort of giddy with trying to work out the spatial relationships of the rooms and spaces to one another.

Until, that is, I encountered plans and a model on the upper floors.

It was quite simple: the floor plan was a cross with the arms approximately of equal length.

Kia kaha and thanks for this photo.

View attachment 90571
Your image is so much more inviting! Love those poppies... I have yet to see a few things on a Camino... poppies, leaves on vines and lots of people. 2 of the 3 I look forward to one day ;)

€60,-

View attachment 90571
Agreed. This is ours from 9th, September, 2014. Much drier! We had hoped to pass this way again last year, maybe sometime in the future!
9 Sep #12 1201hrs Pat with Castillo behind and Iglesia Santa Maria in middle ground.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2018-08-29 15.50.49.jpg

In an attempt to "catch up" a bit, on my sixth day I walked past a number of potential places to stop and for longer too - a ten-hour stretch - until I arrived in Viana, out of water and very footsore.

It was 4pm by the time I stumbled into town, where I was greeted by a couple of peregrinos who were quite keen to brag about how far they had walked that day, which was pretty much the last thing I wanted to talk about.

So I bagged myself a private room for the first time, something I would do about once a week as a little treat.

The one big error I'd made in all this was that it meant that I would arrive in Logroño for breakfast the following morning.

I'll plan for a night there next time!

Having been a Gaudi fan for many years and having been to three of his stuff in Barcelona when on an enforced rest in May 2016 I was hell bent to ensure I was could spend time in and around this building.

As I understand it, the epicopus what commissioned dies before it was complete and the successors declined to spend even one night inside.

It was more of a riot of space and form than I had expected. In going around I became sort of giddy with trying to work out the spatial relationships of the rooms and spaces to one another.

It was quite simple: the floor plan was a cross with the arms approximately of equal length.

I was utterly entranced by the Episcopal Palace at Astorga too.

I spent a couple of happy hours wandering around in its mesmerising interior.

2018-09-12 11.39.14.jpg

Did you see this painting while you were there?
2018-09-12 11.38.42.jpg
This matched my response to the news of a third lockdown here in the UK last night!

Bending the rules here to get a nice pic of O Cebreiro up. From the live feed outside the hostal for those that were wishing they were there.

Attachments

• O Cebreiro.jpg
    O Cebreiro.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 100
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While I noticed both buildings at the time, it is only now sitting at my desk can I see, from your composition, a striking similarity in material and profile notwithstanding their different purposes.
I had not noticed that before either, but you're right!
Bending the rules here to get a nice pic of O Cebreiro up. From the live feed outside the hostal for those that were wishing they were there.
No one actually said the picture had to be one that you took on a Camino. So no rules bent — and it's amazing to see the snow!
Gracias!

I don't know if I posted this before, but it's on the way up to Roncesvalles from Valcarlos on a fine day in March 2015.
20150310_152321.jpg

Did someone say snow?? Here’s a bit I enjoyed in Jan 2013. Needless to say, wasn’t on the trails to Zubiri that day but when I saw it was only 79kms to Santiago I couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about :)
4A2C57FA-CE0B-46A6-9091-6F54AA93F344.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 90672
Another intriguing sculpture, this time in Viana.

Does anyone know the story behind this one?

El Auroro de Viana.
"
El canto de la aurora es una tradición religiosa en la que se cantan, antes del amanecer, canciones para el santo del día para llamar así a los fieles a rezar el rosario o a misa. Esta tradición se perdió con el paso de los años, el último auroro de Viana fue el pastor Pedro Angulo Rozas, que salía solo a cantarla en la primera mitad del siglo XX. A este está dedicada la escultura que podemos ver a un lado de la portada gótica de la iglesia de Santa María de la Asunción. Actualmente la ciudad tiene un coro de auroros de Viana que lleva el nombre del pastor. "

From this website.

Monumento al Auroro.

Interesting story.

El Auroro de Viana.
"
El canto de la aurora es una tradición religiosa en la que se cantan, antes del amanecer, canciones para el santo del día para llamar así a los fieles a rezar el rosario o a misa. Esta tradición se perdió con el paso de los años, el último auroro de Viana fue el pastor Pedro Angulo Rozas, que salía solo a cantarla en la primera mitad del siglo XX. A este está dedicada la escultura que podemos ver a un lado de la portada gótica de la iglesia de Santa María de la Asunción. Actualmente la ciudad tiene un coro de auroros de Viana que lleva el nombre del pastor. "

From this website.

Monumento al Auroro.

Interesting story.
That's just what I hoped for - what a lovely story.

A nicer story than what happened to Cesare Borgia here.

On the Del Norte July 2019. This was the most difficult day of all my Camino’s. Deba to Markina a 15 mile hike from the sea to deep in the mountains. At first light I set out with a young lady from Lithuania, unfortunately we went the wrong way. It was a tough go getting back on track up a steep steep hill. Hours later I missed an arrow causing me to go up, up, up a steep logging road, then having to back track. I recall collapsing on the gravel road crying hysterically hopeful someone would hear me. I was alone, lost on a mountain. I told myself, you have to continue on, sleeping out here is not an option. After a good cry I picked myself up. I finally found the arrow slightly hidden on a tree. Good thing I had some fruit with me as I was out of water with many kilograms to go. It took me 12 hours to reach my destination. 12 HOURS!!! 🤦🏻‍♀️ now I can chuckle, a little. 😁46D0D804-927B-4274-9C98-3B24F9BAFD8C.jpegC54D2123-BE36-45A6-9315-FAC7EAC27F4B.jpegA7960459-CD87-4797-924E-F7340623FB0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Estella/Lizarra.Camino Francès in April 2011. Such a peaceful and quiet Camino that year. Could not believe how hectic it became two years later when I walked parts of the CF again.

View attachment 90668
I would guess it became more hectic do to the movie “The Way”. 2013 is when I set out on my first Camino. The movie inspired me. 🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After roughy 250 kilometers the del Norte proved to be too much for me in July 2019. I saw some beautiful scenery but it was difficult for me in many ways. Perhaps if I had a hiking buddy, I could have continued this way. I made it to Laredo where I bussed to Santander then hopped on a train to Fromista to finish out my Camino. The Frances was hot, hot, hot with morning start times at 5:30 or so but I was so glad to be back. 😌 The first morning out I captured these photos. As I walked along the sun slid behind a butte in the distance to only show itself again in all its glory as I and the sunflowers stood in awe. Two sunrises in one morning, the Camino will provide many a magical moment. 6984B02B-BBC4-4F0F-9185-718CEE05374E.jpeg59F06AAF-66B8-45E2-93BF-9EEB06F01A58.jpeg
View attachment 90708

I would guess it became more hectic do to the movie “The Way”. 2013 is when I set out on my first Camino. The movie inspired me. 🙂
I’ve read that four modern literary/cinematic events happened that caused big influxes of Pilgrims: Shirley MacLaine (Journey of the Spirit), Poalo Coehlo influenced the Brazilians (The Pilgrimage), Hape Kerkling influenced the Germans (I’m Off Then) and finally, Emilio Estevez influenced the North Americans (The Way). I’m sure the were many others in other parts of the world!

€83,-
One of the greatest things about winter pilgrimage is that you don’t have to get up crazy early to see sunrises and the golden hour.

View attachment 90723
Wow beautiful. 😍 I’ve walked Fall, Spring and Summer. I don’t think I could endure a winter Camino. Coming from a cold winter climate I felt the Spring Camino was a lot colder and wetter then I had hoped for.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oops!!! It appears I have broken the rules for this thread by posting multiple times today and multiple photos. I’m sorry, I was just so excited to find a thread I could thoroughly enjoy. 😐

Not really rules but rather a more or less general agreement here.
Please keep posting.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow beautiful. 😍 I’ve walked Fall, Spring and Summer. I don’t think I could endure a winter Camino. Coming from a cold winter climate I felt the Spring Camino was a lot colder and wetter then I had hoped for.
It can get chilly but with the right clothes and sleeping bag, it’s pretty comfortable and you rarely need to worry about sweating too much :)

Astorga on the 9th Jan 2014
P1090189a Astorga.jpg
O Cebreiro 13th Jan 2014
P1130573a.jpg
Getting close to Saria in wet Galicia 15th Jan 2014
Galicia.jpg

It can get chilly but with the right clothes and sleeping bag, it’s pretty comfortable and you rarely need to worry about sweating too much :)
Does it rain a lot? I see snow In O’Cebreiro and Roncesvillas how about lower elevations?

€83,-

€60,-
There are several great things about a winter pilgrimage. One is that with bare trees you get to see a lot more, the other that the mud is often frozen and so instead of sinking into it you can walk across the top of it. Another thing is that often the weather is dry, but cold, except of course in Galicia where one should always expect rain at some point.

The meseta - cold but wintry sunshine
the Meseta 30th Dec..jpg

on the outskirts of Foncebadan - 10 Jan. 2014
Heading to the Cruz de Ferro.jpg

Leaving Foncebadan
Leaving Foncebadan.jpg

Leaving Villafranca del Bierzo 11 Jan, 2014
heading out of Villafranca del Bierzo.jpg

More of wet Galicia 15 Jan, 2014
On the way to Saria, Glaicia.jpg

Oops!!! It appears I have broken the rules for this thread by posting multiple times today and multiple photos. I’m sorry, I was just so excited to find a thread I could thoroughly enjoy. 😐
I have no complaint about the number but the size causes problems for some. That makes it hard for them to enjoy the thread. If people have an old or slow system they have to wait for megabytes of files they may have already seen to load before seeing the new pictures. I made two posts on how to send pictures as thumbnails. The second follows immediately after the first one here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...d-you-walk-locally-in-2021.69119/#post-891744

My picture for today was taken in the garden of the Albergue de Jesús in Mazarife.
Q12200-HOR.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay I’m going to give it a try. How to post thumbnail picture’(s) 😌 This picture was taken on August 4, 2019 at predawn. I left Villares De Orbigo at 4:30 AM to Rabanal, a meer 33k’s. (20.5 miles) At times my heart would race in the darkness from hearing the owls fluttering from tree to tree and hearing something dart in front of me. I shown my iPhone light around to see they were rabbits, perhaps running from the owls. I looked back to make sure I was still alone and to see the flickering lights become more distant. All the while thinking, how crazy am I walking alone in the dark in the middle of Spain, a foreign country. I don’t know how I did it without panicking. But I had a goal. I made it to the green monster just before sunrise, I was flying. I wanted to catch my friend James from England, I found him standing in front of the cathedral in Astorga (where he stayed the night) minutes before he hit the trail. It was a long, hot grueling day. Especially towards the end, up the hill to Rabanal but I did it!!! I did it. 😀 And today I figured out how to post thumbnail pictures on this thread. Hahaha.

05EEF094-D9AE-4811-881B-833B330BE648.jpeg8785D9AA-CE06-49D4-93F8-571E4E660D95.jpegA6A084AB-39A2-4072-98BF-823BB8865684.jpeg7CC9C0A9-7BE1-45B1-8819-DB09EF7F0380.jpeg4E812BC2-811E-4BF5-9270-E2E9F7027DEA.jpeg

Last edited:

€149,-
Gosh, the river seems quite high! Was there any risk of flooding? The Albergue looks great.

There were some days with torrrential rain indeed but no flooding.
Lots and lots of mud that made walking , especially on the hilly and rocky paths, tricky. I believe I posted some pics of that on the first daily pics thread.
The day we walked into Beasain was mostly on paved roads. Our night there was the most crowded in terms of pilgrims staying. Four! Us two and then two men. So the hospitaleros put us in one room and the guys in another.
The most kind voluntarios I ever encountered. They offered us their private tumbledryer to get our clothes dry again.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made it to the green monster just before sunrise
Haha! We all know what you mean
Oops!!! It appears I have broken the rules for this thread by posting multiple times today and multiple photos.
Pace yourself, @four seasons. ;)
We're in this for the long haul. One pic per day for a year is...well, you know...it adds up.
And it'd be a pity if you ran out.
❤️
Always, always, look up at the ceilings. So often so many treasures hidden in plain view.
Absolutely.
This is one of my favorites: the church of San Francisco in Villafranca del Bierzo.
Cacabelos-Las Herrieras (47).JPG

Always, always, look up at the ceilings. So often so many treasures hidden in plain view.
Dalí Museum, Figueres, on the Camino Catalan.
IMG_20191010_131510_1.jpg
I confess that we didn't walk to Figures.
But we did walk to the museum.

I made it to the green monster just before sunrise
Haha! We all know what you mean
I didn't at first. Not until I saw the picture and remembered some posts. We missed it. As soon as we made it to the Albergue de Jesus in Mazarife Peg could literally walk no farther. She was lame with a case of tendonitis. She had to hop. A day of rest did no good. The next day Jesus, running an errand, brought us a bit out of his way to the clinic in Astorga.

Last edited:
Pace yourself, @four seasons.
We're in this for the long haul. One pic per day for a year is...well, you know...it adds up.
And it'd be a pity if you ran out. ❤️
Geez, why are my picture postings such a hot topic? But for all the wrong reasons. 😔 Rick doesn’t have a complaint about how many pictures. You shouldn’t either. Besides it’s the size that matters 🤣🤣🤣 oh and I have plenty Camino pics, you’ll see.

Last edited:
Geez, why are my picture postings such a hot topic? 😔 Rick doesn’t have a complaint about how many pictures. You shouldn’t either. Besides it’s the size that matters 🤣🤣🤣 oh and I have plenty Camino pics, you’ll see.
Hi @FourSeasons - keep in mind that if you’d like to post many photos at once, you always have the option to post to the media section of the forum where there definitely isn’t a limit of one photo per day :)

Hi @FourSeasons - keep in mind that if you’d like to post many photos at once, you always have the option to post to the media section of the forum where there definitely isn’t a limit of one photo per day :)
I appreciate that but isn’t having a story behind the pictures a part of this thread? 🙂 The media it’s only pictures. I like reading and telling stories and seeing the picture/pictures that inspired the words. Don’t you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back