• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 91723
Crossing the Najerilla at noon and considering an overnight stop in pretty Nájera, but feeling strong enough to push onwards.

I read later that this place was the ancient capital of Navarre, and wondered if I should have lingered there for longer.
Yes, the Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real is certainly worth a look. There is always next time. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread. I did the Camino Frances in 2018 with my wife Clare. Here is our day 5 of walking, we stayed in Maruzabal and walked to Eunate on the way to Puente La Reina. We were lucky enough to visit the Romanesque Church of Santa Maria de Eunate! We had read that if you were to walk around the church twice in bare feet, eternal peace is given. So of course we did 🤗3784874A-5E95-49F2-B177-6661012B9FA0.jpeg7669B4E9-88E6-42C8-ACD9-D432123F93CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread. I did the Camino Frances in 2018 with my wife Clare. Here is our day 5 of walking, we stayed in Maruzabal and walked to Eunate on the way to Puente La Reina. We were lucky enough to visit the Romanesque Church of Santa Maria de Eunate! We had read that if you were to walk around the church twice in bare feet, eternal peace is given. So of course we did 🤗
Next time I walk the Francés, I’ll make this diversion too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread. I did the Camino Frances in 2018 with my wife Clare. Here is our day 5 of walking, we stayed in Maruzabal and walked to Eunate on the way to Puente La Reina. We were lucky enough to visit the Romanesque Church of Santa Maria de Eunate! We had read that if you were to walk around the church twice in bare feet, eternal peace is given. So of course we did 🤗View attachment 91871View attachment 91872
Mim & Clare, welcome to this thread. Thank you for your post.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino Frances- September, 2014 Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega. The monument to the fallen from the Spanish Civil War. Found this quite an eerie place, although we did stop for a rest at the picnic tables. It was a long and hot day for us, especially as we decided not to stop in San Juan de Ortega, we kept going to Ages.
5 Sep #6 1026hrs Monument to the fallen Spanish Civil War between Villafranca Montes de Oca an...JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Photo 118. The pilgrim on the right, one half of a lovely couple from France who celebrated 1000km soon after we met them. We coincided all the way, and towards the end we passed them out but were delighted to rediscover them the following day on the steps outside the Cathedral. They inspired me to offer to serve as a hospitalera, as they did that for a few years. C carried heavy sketch books and posted them home, doing exquisite pencil drawings particularly of Roman bridges, but anything of value to her.

118 cath claude.jpg

The monument to the fallen from the Spanish Civil War.
It is a somber and deeply moving place. I used Google Eye to translate the plaque:
MONTE DE LA PEDRAJA 1936

IN THIS PLACE, SOME THREE HUNDRED PEOPLE WERE SHOT BY THOSE WHO SUPPORTED THE COUP OF GENERAL FRANCISCO FRANCO AGAINST THE LEGITIMELY ESTABLISHED REPUBLIC. AND WHAT GAVE PLACE TO THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR BETWEEN THE YEARS 1936 AND 1939

THEY WERE MURDERED IN THE FIRST MONTHS OF THE CIVIL WAR FOR THEIR POLITICAL IDEALS AND FOR DEFENDING FREEDOM

THIS HUMBLE MONUMENT, MADE BY ITS FAMILY MEMBERS, WILL SERVE THAT WE NEVER FORGET THEIR MEMORY

REST IN PEACE

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I loved seeing all the fresh bread hanging on the doors "here and there" as I walked by. It was often all I could do to keep my hands to myself.😉
View attachment 92049
I hear that fellow pilgrim. 😜 I spy these tasty loaves on July 17, 2019 between Castro Urdiales and Islares, del Norte. 🥖 Oh the temptation.
33F19A8B-22D1-4EEB-9117-E7DCDF9CD17F.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€46,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
That very first day....I will forever stand by my statement to Clare on the climb to Orisson “I feel like my lungs have jumped out of my body and are slapping me in the face” 🤣😊 what a view though, of the Albergue and the scenery🤭😏

😏View attachment 92108View attachment 92109View attachment 92110
It's the hardest day, and to have it be the first day is a true test.

In retrospect, I'm somewhat agog that I made it to Roncesvalles in one piece.

Perhaps not being able to see the tips of the Pyrenees on a very cloudy day made all the difference for me!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
About the youth group at O Ceibrero
Looks like they were dropped off by bus or very tired from walking up that big hill.😅
I believe they were dropped off. I don't remember seeing any groups near this size before then.

To show you a bad picture of a wonderful memory of a youth group I rummaged though pictures on another computer. I collected extra pictures from there as well. That's where my grade B and lower pictures are stored. You'll see these soon (but I still have some grade A ones).

This group of jovenes was singing. First the row of boys stretched across the road sang a verse, loudly. Then the girls in the row behind replied, just as loudly. I couldn't pick out the words but it sounded and felt like the song was a flirtatious, teasing one.

singers.jpg

Last edited:
This large group of pilgrims walked past us as we were sitting at a cafe just past Miño on the Camino Ingles. We said good morning, some nodded and smiled but they walked past in silence. We caught up to them a couple of hours later as they were resting in a churchyard. We stopped as well and had a nice chat with some of the group. The young man carrying the banner explained that when they passed us earlier, they were walking in silence, which they did for a period of time each day of their walk. This was in 2014, the 800 year anniversary of St. Francis of Assisi's pilgrimage to Santiago.

St Francis.jpg

View attachment 92101
I know I took this picture in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, but I'm not sure if this is part of the Cathedral or not. Any thoughts?
Hi John, I think it is. We only have one photo of the outside of the Cathedral which doesn't show the tower and many photos of the inside! But have found this guide online to the Santo Domingo de la Calzada Cathedral. Hope you can read it. The tower certainly looks like the one in your photo.
Santo Domingo Cathedral Tower.JPG

Talking of Silence, I certainly learned a lot about that on a memorable night at the St Juan Baptista church in Grañón.

2018-09-01 14.51.30.jpg

I'd arrived on a hot Saturday afternoon, had a few G&Ts with new Camino friends and thrown a couple of fireworks around with the locals.

But that was just the start of one of the most meaningful albergue experiences of my Camino.

https://johnelsewhere.blog/2018/09/03/the-biography-of-silence/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finally reinstalled a blurring app, as I haven’t got permission from others in some photos we took. Are there any pilgrims who haven’t taken a photo at this spot?
The young lady second from left had finished her exams and set out from her home in Germany...

FAE4B9E4-E0C9-4437-B577-8B2F9E9E7EF0.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Love those small, hilltop villages. You know, except for having to walk uphill to get into them!

View attachment 92183
You know how it is. They like to put the church at the high point in the village and to make sure that the Camino goes past the church, so you can get every inch of possible climb. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Logroño in 2011. Took a private room that night to go on a mini pintxos crawl.
Little secret : I like to walk a Camino to be able to savour wonderful food without having too much guilt about the calories , only half kidding...:) .

View attachment 92191
We were so looking forward to staying in Logrono last year to do exactly that Sabine. ;)
Having walked through in 2014. Hopefully in the future!:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You know how it is. They like to put the church at the high point in the village and to make sure that the Camino goes past the church, so you can get every inch of possible climb. :)
I often wondered if it was to ensure the Church sat at the apex or if it was a function of defending the village/town/city from invaders? In the end I suppose it was an equal blend of both.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I often wondered if it was to ensure the Church sat at the apex or if it was a function of defending the village/town/city from invaders? In the end I suppose it was an equal blend of both.
When I visited Milan, we were told that no building was allowed to exceed the height of the Duomo, as it should always remain the tallest structure in the city.

That rule has long since faded into obscurity, but perhaps it is the principle that dictates why churches are so often set on hills.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I visited Milan, we were told that no building was allowed to exceed the height of the Duomo, as it should always remain the tallest structure in the city.

That rule has long since faded into obscurity, but perhaps it is the principle that dictates why churches are so often set on hills.
My understanding is that the Church was meant to be closest to God, thus built on the highest point of land.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today I'm taking a storytime exception to the one picture a day "rule".

One night, after dinner, I wandered the neighborhood taking a few pictures.
Q27300-HOR.jpg

Shortly after taking that picture a couple came down a lane. I asked if the cows were theirs; they were. Then they opened the paddock gate and I asked if I could go with them. They consented (otherwise there would be no story).

They didn't herd them all in but just gathered the cows that had recently birthed calves.
herding-01.jpeg

And headed to the barn
to-the-barn-01.jpeg

where the calves were waiting.
calves-01.jpeg

The mothers were placed in a stall and had their heads locked so they wouldn't trample the calves and then the calves were brought in.
in-barn-01.jpeg

There were some pigs in the barn and I regret not taking their picture as my farm animal pics are missing pigs and cats.

My pictures are fuzzy here because of the low light of the evening and the barn demanded a slow shutter speed which allowed time for my camera to move but many of my grade B Galicia pictures have the same effect, not because of low light but because the point and shoot camera decided automatically to choose a small aperture and a long exposure time to get the shot.

This is giving me the opportunity to go through the THOUSANDS of photos I've taken over the years and sort them out - so thanks. I'm going to begin in 2006 on my first Camino. I was SO sick and after walking 6 weeks on the Camino, I came home feeling well again. It was the beginning . . . Here are Joe and I on our very first dark morning of walking. We had no idea what was ahead of us. My god, we look so young! ::😆::IMG_0462 2.JPG

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is giving me the opportunity to go through the THOUSANDS of photos I've taken over the years and sort them out - so thanks. I'm going to begin in 2006 on my first Camino. I was SO sick and after walking 6 weeks on the Camino, I came home feeling well again. It was the beginning . . . Here are Joe and I on our very first dark morning of walking. We had no idea what was ahead of us. My god, we look so young! ::😆::View attachment 92269
Is that the door to Beilari? That was the starting point for my first Camini too?

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back