• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hontanas was easily one of my favourite surprises on my first Camino. Can remember looking at my GPS thinking this can’t be right... says I’m less than 500m from town but I can’t see any town...? Lo and behold, 5 minutes later... ⛪
Right 😂 My knees hurt so bad going down...it seemed never ending. In 2013 I got the last bed at alburgue alfar. I saw a line, got in it and lo and behold, claimed the last bed. Camino magic ☺️

The historic Pamplona Town Hall at dawn in September 2019, as I left town to continue my Camino.

View attachment 92317
Awesome!!! July ‘2016 for me. I couldn’t believe there was no one else in the photo. When I went through in 2013
the place was packed so I moved on to Zizar Manor.
.8C905371-B6D4-4DA7-B013-BF2C587863BF.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Quiet Castrojeriz in 2011. Ha, by now you must see a pattern : I like empty towns and roads... :)

View attachment 92327
Funny that you wrote that. I was looking at all the pictures posted since bedtime using the album applet for expanding the thumbnails before going back to read the posted texts and my mind said to my brain "That must be Sabine's. Does she even have a picture of a road with people on it? Anyway, I really like 'em."

After reaching Muxia we slowly headed back to Pamplona along the north coast using buses and trains. We kept seeing yellow arrows. At the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao there was a huge exhibition of art works by Jeff Koons. The only thing of his we liked though was outside.
puppy-01.jpeg

Funny that you wrote that. I was looking at all the pictures posted since bedtime using the album applet for expanding the thumbnails before going back to read the posted texts and my mind said to my brain "That must be Sabine's. Does she even have a picture of a road with people on it? Anyway, I really like 'em."

After reaching Muxia we slowly headed back to Pamplona along the north coast using buses and trains. We kept seeing yellow arrows. At the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao there was a huge exhibition of art works by Jeff Koons. The only thing of his we liked though was outside.
View attachment 92340
The Guggenheim in Bilbao is the only museum I've been to where the exterior was more interesting than the interior.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Guggenheim in Bilbao is the only museum I've been to where the exterior was more interesting than the interior.
Agreed. Besides the floor for Koons there was another for Jean-Michel Basquiat. There were maybe two small works of his that we liked, for the subject, nothing more. Amazing that some of their stuff sells in the $100,000,000 range, plus or minus.

Quiet Castrojeriz in 2011. Ha, by now you must see a pattern : I like empty towns and roads... :)

View attachment 92327
Beautiful 🤩 I love the feeling your photo gives me, warm and fuzzy. I had to get this first shot in as I knew they were coming up on me. 🤣 It just doesn’t have the same affect, now does it? July ‘19 after Carrion de Los Condes.
8A556FFD-C0F2-49D2-B446-933343B195F5.jpeg 43B83BD9-2F51-44CE-BEF7-569A010481F6.jpeg

Another double photo day (sorry!), also from my March 1989 Camino. This was a little bit off the strict Camino path.

"Nearby is the 10th-c. monastery of San Miguel de la Escalada, perhaps the best preserved and most interesting Mozarabic monastery in all of Spain. An earlier Visigothic church on the site had been destroyed by the Muslim invaders. After the reconquest of this area, Alfonso III built San Miguesl for the Christian monks fleeing persecution in Cordoba. Nevertheless, a dedicatory Latin plaque (dated 913) suggests it was the monks themselves who erected the building, without the help of royal donations or public taxes"
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook, Gitlitz and Davidson, p.241
Scan20201227131045_065.jpg Scan20201227131045_066.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 92340
I love your shot. I love the way the structure in the background looks. 😍 I didn’t go inside but I thought outside to be very interesting. July 14, 2019. I moved on to Portugalete. Today was a very long, hot day 30.5k
31E0D62B-67A5-4344-8A30-5FB35964FAC4.jpeg 74151FC2-8CF7-404F-8348-4139C81940AD.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love your shot. I love the way the structure in the background looks.
Thank you. In fairness though I had nothing to do with putting that building behind Puppy. For the original photo I used my camera's zoom to try to get rid of the buildings on each side of the street I was on. I cropped even more later.

I'm having trouble coming up with a catchy title for this shot.

chicken.jpg

I've seen this problem elsewhere and reported to Ivar. The URL to the picture send out in the HTML markup for the thread is incorrect. The error doesn't appear to be created by either anyone's browser or something the poster did.
I just submitted a photo and the same thing happened. I was able to submit it again with a different name and that one was okay. When I reported the problem to Ivar I gave him a guess as to what may be causing the problem and it looks like I was right, at least in my case. Submit your jpeg photos with the suffix jpg because my original one that created an error had the suffix jpeg.

My original picture submission had the filename chicken-01.jpeg and should have created the URL https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/chicken-01-jpeg.92416/

Instead it created

Last edited:
I just submitted a photo and the same thing happened. I was able to submit it again with a different name and that one was okay. When I reported the problem to Ivar I gave him a guess as to what may be causing the problem and it looks like I was right, at least in my case. Submit your jpeg photos with the suffix jpg because my original one that created an error had the suffix jpeg.
I just tried to submit a photo and received the error message. I tried another and got the same message. Did Ivar change from jpeg to jpg? 😢

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMG_0676 Our roommatesmall.JPGIMG_0677 Free Bedsmall.JPG
In 2006, we were lucky enough to stay in the ONE-bunkbed albergue in Uterga. I am going through all my photos and blogging about that first Camino now if anyone wants to see more photos. This peregrina was from Mexico. Her name was Jessica. She took the bottom bunk, I took the top bunk, and Joe pulled a sleeping mat out from under the bed and took the floor. It was one of the highlights of my first Camino!

Continuing our wonderful sharing on a new thread. (Haha, please don't feel shy to post here again today even if you already posted in the other thread! And don't worry about repeating yourself — none of us are the same people we were 6 months ago nor do we have the same eyes.)

Today's choice is inspired by @JohnLloyd's shadowplay yesterday:
View media item 6939
thought I was looking at a shadow of St. James.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
number 133.
I know it is after Atapuerca, from the order, but exactly where... surely someone knows!!!
View attachment 92469
I found it. In is in the first village, Villaval, after coming down the hill between Atapuerca and Burgos. The red pin in the screenshot below shows the location and the coordinates are shown also. I used gpsvisualizer.com with an OpenCycleMap base map (because they mark fountains prominently) to find possible locations and then used Google Streetview to look around. I found it at the first fountain off the hill, the order I decided to search in, so that saved me some work.

Screenshot_20210130-141939.png Screenshot_20210130-143747.png

Last edited:
I found it. In is in the first village, Villaval, after coming down the hill between Atapuerca and Burgos. The red pin in the screenshot below shows the location and the coordinates are shown also. I used gpsvisualizer.com with an OpenCycleMap base map (because they mark fountains prominently) to find possible locations and then used Google Streetview to look around. I found it at the first fountain off the hill, the order I decided to search in, so that saved me some work.

View attachment 92471 View attachment 92472
Prime sleuth! thank you very much, Rick.
I hope you will receive this as the compliment I intend: when I was a child, I asked my father why he didn't take his turn at doing the dishes. He had a few answers, but one was: why bark, when you have a dog to bark for you? I actually did not think to do a search, but I might have known it was a challenge right up your alley! You barked up the right tree.

I’m saying goodbye to this thread because the formate for photos has been changed from jpeg to jpg. I use my iPhoto to access this site and submit my photos from there. I don’t know how to change the name so I guess I’ll say audios. I enjoyed it while it lasted. Hope you all enjoy everyone’s memories. 👋🏻 😔

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m saying goodbye to this thread because the formate for photos has been changed from jpeg to jpg. I use my iPhoto to access this site and submit my photos from there. I don’t know how to change the name so I guess I’ll say audios. I enjoyed it while it lasted. Hope you all enjoy everyone’s memories. 👋🏻 😔
One possible workaround is to get your picture displayed on your phone and take a screenshot of it. On my Android phone screenshots end up having the suffix of ".png" which is allowed. Other Android phones may save a screenshot with a ".jpg" suffix or allow you a choice in settings. I don't know what iPhones do but it shouldn't be much work to find out. Don't forget to delete the screenshot after submitting it. They can eat up a lot of space.

We'll let you know when a fix is made at any rate.

I think it was in Estella or Los Arcos where I found the top to a pajama set (in the free box) and used it as sun protection. Then in Redecilla del Camino, I was standing in line for a shower and met the peregrina who had nabbed the bottoms! We had a great laugh!

Attachments

• IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino small.jpg
    IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino small.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rick ‘s suggestion is a good one. Why not try it out? Don’t give up!

This was a sort of funny story on our 2006 Camino. We came into Azofra and it was a festival day! Locals had put their tables and chairs out into the streets. A group of German pilgrims walked up and sat down at some family's table! The family was shocked, but didn't speak German. The pilgrims didn't speak Spanish and didn't understand they were sitting at a private table and a bit of confusion began. In the end, the locals threw up their hands and left the pilgrims alone -- going into their house and bringing out yet ANOTHER table! We had brought out our OWN table and man, we had a GREAT time! Joe got a little happy and danced with the women. They served food in wheelbarrows. You showed you had paid by purchasing the orange bandana. What fun! Another 2006 highlight!

IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0927.JPGIMG_0932.JPGIMG_0961.JPG

Hope you can keep posting! I post using both my iPhone and my Mac. If from my phone, I take a screenshot and crop, which sizes it well to post. If posting from my Mac, I export from iPhoto to my desktop, choosing one size down (large) and attach from there.

Leaving Ameyugo ( where we fueled up on a very good coffee in the simple but charming centro cultural ) for the climb to Pancorbo.
I already told you how I loved that etapa. Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Leaving Ameyugo.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Number 135. We had second breakfast with a delightful couple from San Sebastian. They were hopping the camino with their car. They had only a few days, as the woman in the couple had a few days off from caring for her mother. They drove to a spot, walked for a few days, got bus back to car... that cafe was where my prescription glasses parted company from me. For the rest of the time I was semi blind! other people can make do with non prescription lenses. Not me.:rolleyes:
135-Burgos.jpg

2018-09-03 07.33.42.jpg

The Civil War memorial outside Villafranca Montes de Oca at dawn.

A sombre spot, further freighted with a more personal drama and an unexpected medical moment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Civil War memorial outside Villafranca Montes de Oca at dawn.
Before reaching that memorial I spent a half-hour trying to get a whining cat down from a limb on a thorny tree. It, being a cat, did not want to help me help it. I eventually gave up but not before I broke off some branches that were easy for the cat to handle when going out on the limb but not for heading back to the ground.

Now, for today's picture, I present some peregrinas I found sitting on a wall outside a cafe.
peregrinas.jpg

Last edited:

€46,-

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2018-09-03 08.38.07.jpg

I read somewhere that a pilgrim walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela will climb 8km in height, only to give it all back again, somewhere along the Way.

This view on the stretch to St Juan de Ortega illustrates this rather well.

EDIT: I've now been informed that we actually gain 13.4km in vertical ascent, and lose a tiny bit more by the end in Obradoiro Square.

That's one and a half Everests.

144619714_10224550698776457_9011404545067558504_o.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 92585

I read somewhere that a pilgrim walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela will climb 8km in height, only to give it all back again, somewhere along the Way.

I remember this section very clearly, there was certainly a different atmosphere walking through those pine plantations....peaceful :) ….and of course the leg burn from the hill ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

€46,-
View attachment 92585

EDIT: I've now been informed that we actually gain 13.4km in vertical ascent, and lose a tiny bit more by the end in Obradoiro Square.

That's one and a half Everests.

View attachment 92609
It is so informative to get this kind of information. I still depend on my eye gauging the difficulty of each incline, and decline of course. Just one at a time is enough for me. If I really knew ahead, I would sit down like the donkey. if that is in fact what donkeys do.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. In fairness though I had nothing to do with putting that building behind Puppy. For the original photo I used my camera's zoom to try to get rid of the buildings on each side of the street I was on. I cropped even more later.

I'm having trouble coming up with a catchy title for this shot.

View attachment 92417
The title is obvious: "Why?".

View attachment 91572

Poyo de Roldán, the monument to the local "David" who slew Ferragut, a fearsome giant from the occupying forces, with a well-aimed rock.

It was fascinating to learn about these local legends along the Way.
Interesting structure. It looks like an old charcoal kiln. There are a series of them in mountains above FH000035.jpgDeath Valley left over from the miners' days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Naron.jpg
Ermita de Santa Maria de Caranza. Camino Ingles. In between Ferrol and Pontedeume.
It rained of course. Would not be the Camino Ingles if it didn't! ;) No seriously I did have some dryer and warmer days too on both times I walked the Ingles, but when it rains it pours!

Last edited:

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wait! I just tried to share a photo with someone on the forum and got the message that it had the wrong extension name. So I just deleted the e from jpeg, and hey presto, it worked! Give it another go, you were so enthusiastic when you joined, it is a shame to lose out on your photos.

I love that window, too! So much stained glass but found much of it hard to photograph well. This one was a star!

Wait! I just tried to share a photo with someone on the forum and got the message that it had the wrong extension name. So I just deleted the e from jpeg, and hey presto, it worked! Give it another go, you were so enthusiastic when you joined, it is a shame to lose out on your photos.
I've just been speaking with Ivar on the Zoom chat and he said he was going to take a look at this.

C3BD612D-7B6A-480F-91F2-5E9B2466BD74.jpegI/we have crossed the Pyrenees twice, in 2007 and 2009. Both times the weather was bad with rain and fog, so I haven’t really seen the Pyrenees.. But in 2007, when we had come into Spain the fog suddenly lifted for a little while and we got a glimpse of Roncesvalles.

I love that window, too! So much stained glass but found much of it hard to photograph well. This one was a star!

View attachment 92706
Did you know that all of the stained glass was removed to repair a falling ceiling? It was all labeled and stored in boxes for fifty years and then re-assembled to its current beauty...amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back