• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
2018-09-03 10.25.14.jpg
A bright morning in San Juan de Ortega, where I learned that the setting sun strikes a statue of the Virgin Mary on each equinox.

Being somewhat juvenile at times, I was more interested in the English translation of San Juan de Ortega, which reminded me of an old 80s detective show, starring John Nettles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
September 20, 2013: Down the Old Roman Road (ouch) an alternate past Sahagun to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. This tiny tienda had everything you’d ever need and the owner was a popular man amongst the locals. A definite hit with the pilgrims
too. 😁
View attachment 91762
I remember this guy.... I went into his Shop to buy a can of Beer and a Bun. A Simple Lunch.

I left with €20 of stuff, plus he throw in some free Olives a different Cheese. Great Salesman.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances- September, 2014 The entrance to the Albergue in Villares de Orbigo. Christine was the Hospitalera at that time. Lovely coutryard to sit and relax post walking and meet with fellow pilgrims from around the world.
View attachment 92783
One of my most memorable places - quite an interesting night! I'm still in touch with Christine now.
2018-09-11 19.25.57.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
2006 was the first year I learned about chinchas - at the albergue in Leon.
A little nun inspected and sprayed each and every mochila!
Even so, my bunkmate (who was below me) woke up and told me he'd fought bedbugs all night long! He had a pile of dead ones to prove it! I didn't see or feel one bug (which is why I now always take the top bunk!)
0927_1361 Chincha check in Leon.jpg0927_1378 Chincha boy.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
2018-09-03 12.33.50.jpg

Coming from the Westcountry in the UK, where tales of druids, stone circles and Stonehenge feature strongly, the standing stones of Atapuerca caught my eye.

I might have taken a better picture though. The inscription is illegible! Does anyone know what it says?

EDIT: I've been informed elsewhere.

"This stone of 2600 kilos was lifted in prehistoric fashion by the local people in 1998 in honour of the ancient peoples of Atapuerca".

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For me, getting to the monastery at Roncesvalles was a relief that remained unmatched!
Fair enough, @JohnLloyd ! It would be #2 on my list, especially in 2013 when I was thigh deep in snow going up the Valcarlos route. Probably more like ‘glad to be alive’ than simple relief!! I had an AP photographer driving by who jumped out of car to photograph me coming into Roncesvalles which was a pretty cool momento

.DB4AB9D1-F145-42B3-8D45-104CBDC1B119.jpeg7F3194B5-B990-47B0-B881-C9430563B312.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Lone horse on road entering Estella
2. Estella after rain shower
3. Foncebadon at dawn

Attachments

• Horse Estella.jpg
    Horse Estella.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Estella after rain.jpg
    Estella after rain.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Foncebadon Morning.jpg
    Foncebadon Morning.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 29
Pretty sure it has always been there, same road that you cross over after ascending out of Foncebadon and then walk alongside all the way to Cruz de Ferro and then alongside afterwards. :)
View attachment 93048
Thanks! I seem to recall a widish standing spot with a view ahead. Of course you are right. The photo in my avatar was taken along that route, near Manjarin. The scenery so reminded me of my home country, Scotland.

Fair enough, @JohnLloyd ! It would be #2 on my list, especially in 2013 when I was thigh deep in snow going up the Valcarlos route. Probably more like ‘glad to be alive’ than simple relief!! I had an AP photographer driving by who jumped out of car to photograph me coming into Roncesvalles which was a pretty cool momento

.View attachment 93068View attachment 93069
I think I would have ended up like Daniel Avery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another interest of mine is medieval culinary history. A Facebook group on that topic recently published some photos of reconstructions of medieval baking ovens. They reminded me of nothing so much as this oven I saw in the kitchen of the Albergue El Palomar in Ledigos in 2016. The bottom door is for the fire; the top for what you want to bake.
20160726_135254.jpg

Other than never enjoying seeing a fish head on my plate, dinner in Porto was delicious!

View attachment 93129
I didn't mind seeing the fish head on my plate as I much preferred looking at it instead of having to pick through the many bones to prevent choking...I finally switched to other types of seafood. Rumor is you need to spend big bucks in Spain at a Michelin star restaurant in order to get fish served like in the US, however I am not sure if a true fact.

€60,-
157.jpg

The next one, tomorrow... was actually taken the same day. We stopped for a breakfast, enjoying time with one of our constant companions, from Sardinia. Then, the little hill (!!!) where I learned how to breathe two in, two out and not stop and look back. It took me 17 minutes, or 19, but what's the difference? The relief at the top was worth it all!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 93146

The next one, tomorrow... was actually taken the same day. We stopped for a breakfast, enjoying time with one of our constant companions, from Sardinia. Then, the little hill (!!!) where I learned how to breathe two in, two out and not stop and look back. It took me 17 minutes, or 19, but what's the difference? The relief at the top was worth it all!
It's in the top three hardest climbs, I'd say.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The hot springs at Ourense, full of healing magnesium and other minerals. All year round 40ish Celsius (would be nice now!). The perfect place for a pilgrim with a few aches and its free and very social with the locals. If not passing by on the Sanabres, can take a lovely train trip from Santiago in 40 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_150709.jpg
    IMG_20190720_150709.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190720_122807.jpg
    IMG_20190720_122807.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
primeros pasos.JPG

This is the most special photo of my different Caminos.
Short story to put you in context:

It was my personal dream, and my wife drove 1.000 kmts to take me to Roncesvalles. We spent the weekend in a little hotel in Espinal (near Roncesvalles), sharing a couple of days together before my D-Day. We enjoyed the Pilgrim's Mass in Roncesvalles. Just 5 pilgrims. Very special and intimate.
The plan for next day, was she driving me to Roncesvalles, and let me there to begin my Camino, but the road, because of the snow, was too hard, that I decided to begin just there, in Espinal.
And so....there we are, saying goodbye, hugs and kisses (and some tears).
She took that pic after that moment.
And I was walking to the unknown (remember your personal feelings during your first steps???)

Now, 9 years after that moment, I've been lucky enough to walk that road again three more times. But....everytime I recall that sensation, and get emotional again (just like right now...🤷‍♂️)

Porto has some amazing street art. Starting in 2014, the city council commissioned local street artists to create art that would help give rundown neighbourhoods new vibrancy and life. These 3 pieces are by one of Porto's street artist stars, Hazul Luzah. The work, painted on an abandoned building will disappear when the building is torn down or restored.

Porto.jpg porto2.jpg

€46,-

€83,-
Delightful houses on the Cantabrian coast, Comillas. The style is apparently called Montanesa (mountainous); these casas are a stand out feature of the camino del norte.

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_084338.jpg
    IMG_20200713_084338.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back